Pelicans Report

Thread: How much longer of Alvin?

How much longer of Alvin?

Fans leaving at half, fans boooing. How much longer?

Hall of Famer
    Leaving at half for a team that has attendance issues is never good

Fans expected wins ..this is bad

They will have to cut him but what coaches are out there

Frank vogel would of been nice

Hall of Famer
    I mean when you put on this type of performance in front of your own fans

This is the same raptor team we could of beat in the season opener

Yeah alvins gotta go. When they retained Alvin in the offseason i was pretty frustrated because i didn't want the guy who couldn't win with Anthony Davis to have a shot with zion's development. He's a good guy and everything but he's gotta go.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Another week would be too long

At the Next home game if they don’t announce him during starting lineups then they even know! LOL

It's amazing to me that team with so many good defensive players can be so bad on defense...
    When we did the trade with Lakers, first thing that came up to my mind is that this will be f*ing amazing defensive team.... boy i couldn't be more wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrakar View Post
    It's amazing to me that team with so many good defensive players can be so bad on defense...
    When we did the trade with Lakers, first thing that came up to my mind is that this will be f*ing amazing defensive team.... boy i couldn't be more wrong...
    I feel the same way. There are some solid individual defenders on the court, but they aren't gelling. I know that's it's still very early in the season, but the body language that I'm seeing suggests that players have no confidence in the franchise right now. Something has to give.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Alvin's not going anywhere. Griff has a ton of faith in him, which is why one of his demands to Mrs. B was to keep him as coach. I'm guessing that if the team under performs next year, that will be when he's out. But Alvin isn't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Alvin's not going anywhere. Griff has a ton of faith in him, which is why one of his demands to Mrs. B was to keep him as coach. I'm guessing that if the team under performs next year, that will be when he's out. But Alvin isn't going anywhere.
    And that’s why fans shouldn’t take this team so seriously. Why should the fans give a flip when the management is just wrapping the same turd in a new box and calling it different?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Griff has a ton of faith in him, which is why one of his demands to Mrs. B was to keep him as coach.
    Isn't that like, the absolute opposite of what happened?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming that Griff wants to secretly fire Gentry or anything, he's made it quite clear that he likes Gentry and wanted to keep him on.

But I'm fairly sure that during the hiring process for a new GM, keeping Gentry was one of Mrs B's requests, not something Griff 'demanded' she do.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Isn't that like, the absolute opposite of what happened?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming that Griff wants to secretly fire Gentry or anything, he's made it quite clear that he likes Gentry and wanted to keep him on.

But I'm fairly sure that during the hiring process for a new GM, keeping Gentry was one of Mrs B's requests, not something Griff 'demanded' she do.
    Pretty sure I heard that Griff was the one who wanted Alvin to stay. If you can find anything contradicting that then I'll eat crow lol. But always thought it was a Griff thing.

Pretty sure I heard that Griff was the one who wanted Alvin to stay. If you can find anything contradicting that then I'll eat crow lol. But always thought it was a Griff thing.
    Gayle wanted Gentry to stay and it helped that Griff was ok with it. Gayle thought Alvin deserved a second chance with a better roster. She said it herself that he was dealt a bad hand. It was literally all people talked about during the hiring process was her request for the next POBO/GM to retain Gentry. I’m not sure why so many people don’t know that.

Eventually you will have to cut your losses, sooner than later. Empty seats don't pay the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    Eventually you will have to cut your losses, sooner than later. Empty seats don't pay the bills.
    I don't think sooner than later makes a whole lot of sense in this instance. This team is so young that you don't want coaching turnover during the season. I think if the pels finish with a poor record this season, there will be a mutual agreement between Gentry and the FO that Gentry will move into an official role, and the team would likely promote Chris Finch.

I think Gentry knows that he's not the long term option as the head coach of the team, but he's great at dealing with personalities and developing young guys. The development of Zion, NAW, Hayes, Ingram, and Ball is far more important than the outcome this year.

You could lose Gentry tomorrow and it wouldn’t hamper our youth’s development. Gentry has never developed talent. I would say he only works well with experienced players, but he only has 5 winning seasons in 17 years, and this year isn’t looking so hot either.

You can’t say that his system works when he has so many losing seasons.

Geez! Even the Knicks are getting rid of a coach that is losing games by himself. I would argue that the Knicks have a better coach than Pels. What a time to be a fan!

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I don't think sooner than later makes a whole lot of sense in this instance. This team is so young that you don't want coaching turnover during the season. I think if the pels finish with a poor record this season, there will be a mutual agreement between Gentry and the FO that Gentry will move into an official role, and the team would likely promote Chris Finch.

I think Gentry knows that he's not the long term option as the head coach of the team, but he's great at dealing with personalities and developing young guys. The development of Zion, NAW, Hayes, Ingram, and Ball is far more important than the outcome this year.
    He’s not great at developing young guys at all. He’s playing Moore over NAW...

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    You could lose Gentry tomorrow and it wouldn’t hamper our youth’s development. Gentry has never developed talent. I would say he only works well with experienced players, but he only has 5 winning seasons in 17 years, and this year isn’t looking so hot either.

You can’t say that his system works when he has so many losing seasons.
    It doesn’t work. People like to look at one side of the ball. To me a system is beneficial to everyone involved, and clearly his system rarely benefits the players involved. Every year, they have one or two players that score 20+ points a game but the rest of the team is extremely inconsistent. I can’t blame it all on him, but it’s to many different players that have had the same issues to not put it on Alvin. These are NBA players for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    He’s not great at developing young guys at all. He’s playing Moore over NAW...
    Thats not how development works. Being good at developing players doesn't mean you just throw guys into the fire and live with the results. He has a proven track record with the Pels of developing the young players he's had available. AD, Jrue, Reke are his main claims but also players like Austin Rivers and Aminu developed their games here before contributing with other teams.

Again, I'm not saying he's the long term option by any means, and I honestly think this should be his last season; but turnover among the coaching staff in the middle of the first season for 3 rookies will almost assuredly have a negative impact on their development.

Again we start off slow despite a host of different talented players, the only common denominator from last season is Gentry and his coaching staff.
    The Pels may have the patience to wait but the paying fans don't. I'm not even so sure we wouldn't be in the same spot right now with Williamson playing.

There is no reason to fire him unless you think we are ready to compete. As much as I’d love to have a winning culture now, we are going through some growing pains and injury issues. Should he go after this season? Yes. Any head coach that struggles to win consistently over a 3-4 year period with a non-tanking team should see the axe. Alvin saw plenty of the AD era and he ultimately failed. You can blame whoever you want, but is time to move on. We needed to clean house when Griffin was brought in

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    There is no reason to fire him unless you think we are ready to compete. As much as I’d love to have a winning culture now, we are going through some growing pains and injury issues. Should he go after this season? Yes. Any head coach that struggles to win consistently over a 3-4 year period with a non-tanking team should see the axe. Alvin saw plenty of the AD era and he ultimately failed. You can blame whoever you want, but is time to move on. We needed to clean house when Griffin was brought in
    Unfortunately, I agree with this. The only reason to fire him now would be to appeal to fans and stop losing revenue. Alvin has probably cost this organization tons of money, but they are loyal. I do think they could compete with a better coach, but no telling if that’s the goal. Keeping Alvin in the offseason should have been a sign that losing a lot and being in the lottery is a possibility. This roster is better than I actually thought. I predicted they would compete for the 8th seed with 45 wins. This was before BI showed how good he can be and Hart being every thing and more. The roster is built to compete now, while growing. I’m not sure either of those things are happening. They lose the exact same way every game. Not sure where they can go from here other than accepting losing.

Thread Information