Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How far along into the season will it be before you give up on Gentry?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Consider this a 3rd endorsement for Mythrol's comment

I was all in favour of firing Gentry back when Demps got ousted, but a lot of people at the time argued that we should keep him just to maintain some degree of continuity through this year. I disagreed, but at the same time, I could see that argument: not stirring the pot too much in a single Summer.

If you were going to fire him, then was the time. If you've left it this long (which we have) it's too late. Just leave it for this year and if he doesn't show the requisite improvements as the roster gets healthier, then get ready to cut him loose next summer.
    We win whether we win or lose this season as I said before. Better draft pick or a playoff seed. I’m not too upset as we probably aren’t ready to take the league by storm yet.

My qualms with Gentry are exactly what we have witnessed countless times before- he just gets outcoached consistently. Is there a method to his madness at times? Yes. In theory free form transition basketball is unpredictable and can throw teams off. But when the ish hits the fan? When we need some serious adjustments or play calls to settle the game down? Gentry fails immensely.

And I’d actually disagree with others that he isn’t involved in our defensive scheme. He wants us to create turnovers so we can get out in transition. That’s not a bad thing, but when the defense needs to buckle down and the game is on the line, you have to make sure things don’t get out of hand. Change what you must to keep the ship afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I’m going to give him until Zion gets back (he deserves that much), but I don’t know how long we can be mediocre with a mediocre coach.

How long til he kills the goodwill that the fans have for the team?
    I still Say until the End of the Year!!

Can we give Gentry and the entire coaching staff some credit for how they made adjustments in the 5th game? Gentry took Lonzo out early and gave him more playing time with the 2nd unit. They decreased defensive pressure so that they could focus more on other aspects of defense and rebounding.

I think this is a good sign to show the amount of adjustments the coaching staff is making and how they are addressing all the same complaints that we've had.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Can we give Gentry and the entire coaching staff some credit for how they made adjustments in the 5th game? Gentry took Lonzo out early and gave him more playing time with the 2nd unit. They decreased defensive pressure so that they could focus more on other aspects of defense and rebounding.

I think this is a good sign to show the amount of adjustments the coaching staff is making and how they are addressing all the same complaints that we've had.
    We will see if that is the case tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    What does that have to do with adjustments he's already made? Or are you suggesting he's going to revert from the adjustments?

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Looks like you see what’s going on.... a career losing coach losing consistently. Who would have thought? Guy can’t figure out how to make a decent rotation. Every game is so different that players come into the game not understanding what their assignment is.

What does that have to do with adjustments he's already made? Or are you suggesting he's going to revert from the adjustments?
    Hmmmmmmmmmm. Another loss to a bad team .

We are 6 games into the season and have had 4 different starters miss time or are currently missing time. Let's not discount this.

Yes having your top scorers miss time and Jrue being mediocre dont help.

But Gentry isn't maximizing whats left of his roster either with the stupid clown car rotations.

We are 6 games into the season and have had 4 different starters miss time or are currently missing time. Let's not discount this.
    Sure let’s make excuses.

All-Star
    Actually we are supposed not to discount this because this is a valid point. However Gentry has this excuse all the time, season after season. I am tired of this endlessly repeating cycle but what to do.

Sure let’s make excuses.
    That's not excuses that's facts. If you're argument is we should ignore facts to try to build false arguments, I disagree. The Warriors are in the same boat as us, destroyed by injuries and have the same record. Is this Kerr's fault?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Balakhonov View Post
    Actually we are supposed not to discount this because this is a valid point. However Gentry has this excuse all the time, season after season. I am tired of this endlessly repeating cycle but what to do.
    I agree. This is the entire reason I wanted Gentry fired this off season. But he wasn't and my argument is I see zero value in firing Gentry now.

That's not excuses that's facts. If you're argument is we should ignore facts to try to build false arguments, I disagree. The Warriors are in the same boat as us, destroyed by injuries and have the same record. Is this Kerr's fault?

I agree. This is the entire reason I wanted Gentry fired this off season. But he wasn't and my argument is I see zero value in firing Gentry now.

Very bad argument Mythrol.

Very bad argument Mythrol.
    We agree to disagree then.

We agree to disagree then.
    We can always send Gentry back to GS for draft picks. Yes you can trade a coach. See Doc Rivers.

Look the Blazers & Nuggets had a ton of injuries last year . Did you hear them blaming injuries? It starts from the top!
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 11-03-2019 at 06:39 PM.

We can always send Gentry back to GS for draft picks. Yes you can trade a coach. See Doc Rivers.

Look the Blazers & Nuggets had a ton of injuries last year . Did you hear them blaming injuries? It starts from the top!
    It’s really crazy to see a coach be so bad and a fan base make excuses for him. He is by far the worst coach in the division and one of the worst in the league. It’s hard for me to name a coach that loses as much as him and gets a pass.

Same people who are criticizing Gentry will turn around and praise a coach like Dantoni. Very hypocritical. Not even worth arguing baseless points.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Same people who are criticizing Gentry will turn around and praise a coach like Dantoni. Very hypocritical. Not even worth arguing baseless points.
    Is Alvin Gentry a better coach than D’ Antoni?

As I've said multiple times I wanted Gentry fired this summer. I do not think there is any value in firing him in the middle of the season and actually think it could hurt the team worse than help it.

Do you disagree and think he should be fired immediately or wait until next summer?

Basketball Guru

I don't want to get rid of gentry because I think he can take this team to the playoffs but give me the playoffs every time with d Antoni....

This is one of the dumbest strawman posts I have seen yet. Stop being a snobbish little turd and make an actual argument for Gentry. I’m willing to hear it. I am. But you have absolutely no integrity whatsoever and will make these condescending pointless posts.

We are jacking up too many 3's and we don't have anyone that is defensive minded first.

Anyone that praises D should get their brain checked.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieZ View Post
    We are jacking up too many 3's and we don't have anyone that is defensive minded first.
    The Pelicans are one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the league. There’s nothing wrong with the offense. We have plenty of good individual defenders. Team defense is clearly the biggest issue right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    This is one of the dumbest strawman posts I have seen yet. Stop being a snobbish little turd and make an actual argument for Gentry. I’m willing to hear it. I am. But you have absolutely no integrity whatsoever and will make these condescending pointless posts.
    This is the argument that you made. "Gentry is infamous for starting seasons slow, going on a run against teams that have taken their foot off the gas to survive an 82 game season then struggling to break 500 and often falling far below 500. He is not a good coach. You can scream it into existence all you want. If we are even forced to play half court ball, we implode."

I'm not arguing takes like this. I'm good.

Thread Information