Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How far along into the season will it be before you give up on Gentry?

How far along into the season will it be before you give up on Gentry?

I’m going to give him until Zion gets back (he deserves that much), but I don’t know how long we can be mediocre with a mediocre coach.

How long til he kills the goodwill that the fans have for the team?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The Franchise
    He’s got a free run this year in my opinion and what I think Griffin would do. If the roster gets even better next year I’d bet he wouldn’t last the halfway point if they under achieved.

I’m watching Monty Williams coach a team with a large turnover and he’s gotten them to play inspired defense. Gentry has been here years and it’s been a struggle. I don’t see this team getting any better than “competent” on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    I’m watching Monty Williams coach a team with a large turnover and he’s gotten them to play inspired defense. Gentry has been here years and it’s been a struggle. I don’t see this team getting any better than “competent” on defense.
    Gentry is not a good defensive coach. That's pretty simple.

We have Bzdelik, and he's been historically pretty good, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still took a little while.
    Basketball.

My issue is far less about Gentry and far more about needing more players to step up. Including our leader Jrue. Especially our leader Jrue. Foremost our leader Jrue. The "best" player on the team cannot shoot like 18% from the field. I don't care how good his defense is. He sets the tone offensively and he has failed us.

I don’t think the losses can ever be fully blamed on Gentry while key players are not making the shots they’re suppose to make. The first game could be blamed on Gentry for putting the ball in Jrue hands to win it before OT after he played horrible all game against Toronto. But the team wouldn’t have been in a position of going to OT if Jrue would’ve hit his shots before then. This game against Dallas there wasn’t issue with Gentry’s rotation for the most part. Ball played in the 4th, the right players were in. They’re not hitting anything. At least he makes adjustments for the next game when there’s errors in the previous game. The players have to at least be more effective shooters for their coach so Gentry won’t be the lone scapegoat

This is an overreaction this early in the season, especially with such a young team that is still essentially brand new.

Gentry did a good job of keeping Hart in instead of Reddick at the end, after Reddick had a couple horrendous turnovers and missed defensive assignments. I would also agree with the poster above that stated Jrue needs to me much more aggressive, and make sure he gets the ball in his hands more. He looked very passive out there. Favors and Jrue had some amazing chemistry in the first quarter.

I don’t really see any issue with Gentry’s scheme where players missed shots could be blamed on being out of position by Gentry or taking forced shots because of Gentry’s instructions. They’re on the floor how they should be, shooting from where they normally would be. Jrue, NAW, and Ball are getting open looks, some of the shots coming near the basket but the way they’re chucking the ball up looks horrible like they’re playing nervously or scared. NAW was hitting those same shots he’s attempting now in preseason. We’ll learn in a few more games if the difference is mental or if its the level of competition

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    My issue is far less about Gentry and far more about needing more players to step up. Including our leader Jrue. Especially our leader Jrue. Foremost our leader Jrue. The "best" player on the team cannot shoot like 18% from the field. I don't care how good his defense is. He sets the tone offensively and he has failed us.
    Yeah, and he wears dumb shoes too.

Monty almost won his second game tonight. PHX looks like a much better coached team.

My huge issue is Gentry seems more concerned with tinkering with the lineup than trying to win with it.

Do you miss Monty Williams?

This already? This board is so ridiculous after losses and it will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    No.

The fact is that we lost two games right at the start of the season. Both games were close despite being losses, and there are easy ways to imagine us winning them: in fact, if we had just made a handful more shots in each, we would have won despite the leaky defense, the inconsistent offense, and the janky lineups.

I said back before the season started that I was going to judge the new plays too much until around Christmas, to give them 20 or 25 games under their belts and some time to adjust. I'm doing the same thing with Gentry. Frankly, he's never had a roster with this much legit depth on it, and while it's true that he's being a bit silly with it, I can't really find it in myself to blame him too much anyway. He's trying to experiment. Is it working? Well, a little. But my judgement will be withheld until he's actually had a legit chance to figure the rotation out.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Gentry is a good guy, however between Gentry and Minty, pull a fan from the crowd every night, make it a raffle.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The problem isn’t Gentry. It’s fan expectations. We have the talent to make the playoffs.

BUT we lack experience. Our team is all young and spunky. But the NBA game is a different animal. NAW clearly has what it takes to play on this level, but he’s never played against defenders like Porzingis. He’s having trouble finishing against length. Once he realizes you have to set up and take totally different angles and timing to score on players like that, he’ll make it look easy.

And that’s just one guy. So much ball is left. And we have to fire the HC because...why? Gentry is getting in the way of us being a contender? Hell. Let the year play out. We make the playoffs, some post season experience will be good for our youngin’s. We miss and oh well. Yet another well scouting draft pick to add to our growing arsenal.

Assuming we done make some blockbuster deal which doesn’t seem likely this season.

Lower your damn sights, people, and enjoy the ride. With our depth and pace, every game will be fun. Focus on the journey for now. The destination is light years away for now. We aren’t even going at warp speed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    This already? This board is so ridiculous after losses and it will never change.
    This is tame. Go look at what is trending on the tigerdroppings forum

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The problem isn’t Gentry. It’s fan expectations. We have the talent to make the playoffs.

BUT we lack experience. Our team is all young and spunky. But the NBA game is a different animal. NAW clearly has what it takes to play on this level, but he’s never played against defenders like Porzingis. He’s having trouble finishing against length. Once he realizes you have to set up and take totally different angles and timing to score on players like that, he’ll make it look easy.

And that’s just one guy. So much ball is left. And we have to fire the HC because...why? Gentry is getting in the way of us being a contender? Hell. Let the year play out. We make the playoffs, some post season experience will be good for our youngin’s. We miss and oh well. Yet another well scouting draft pick to add to our growing arsenal.

Assuming we done make some blockbuster deal which doesn’t seem likely this season.

Lower your damn sights, people, and enjoy the ride. With our depth and pace, every game will be fun. Focus on the journey for now. The destination is light years away for now. We aren’t even going at warp speed yet.
    This is pretty much exactly my thoughts. People are getting carried away with playoff expectations and forgetting that we are a young, newly constructed team. This isn't going to be an overnight build and there will be growing pains. And it says quite a lot that even without Zion, this young team was still in games in the final minute for all 3 games to start the season. Playoffs are not the end-all-be-all measure of a successful season for Gentry this year. Playoffs are a nice cherry on top if we gel faster than expected.

If the question is: Is Gentry at fault for the 0-3 start? A little. It’s not 100 percent his fault, but he had a horror show in several moments of the first two games.

If the question is: Is Gentry a good coach? Absolutely not. I keep hearing posters scream his tactical prowess into existence, yet there is nothing in his coaching career to suggest he has ever been a good coach. I actually want the guy to succeed because he is one of the most likeable guys you could ask for. But history very well may repeat itself for Gentry. It isn’t a fluke that we are 0-3 when we should at least be 2-1.

Basketball Guru
    the 3 games we lost,, we lost them in the 4th with about 5mins left to play.....in that time frame thats when your star player is to take the game over and lead you to a win and jrue didnt do that in the first 2 games.....now AD is not an alpha but if AD was on this team as our star player,,i believe we win the first 2 games ......

gentry get to ride this season out and if our defense come together soon, i still believe we can make the 8th seed...

What has Gentry done wrong now?? C'mon bruh...

To compare him to Monty's situation is so different. Gentry has 14 guys who can all play. It's easy for Monty to pick a 9 man rotation off that Phoenix roster. Give it time.

Its too early for this. The real determination will be one or two years down the road. While the organization obviously wants to compete right now this is also a time for development of our young guys. Not unlike the role that Monty served when we drafted AD. You bring in a good developmental coach that can teach these young guys the right way to play. Then you need to determine if the coach is holding the players back. At this point I trust Griff. He has seemingly made all of the right moves so far and if he feels like Gentry is the right guy for what we are attempting to accomplish I am fine with it.

This is marathon, not a sprint.

Readjust your goals for this season. Look for team and individual player growth over time. The playoffs will be icing on the cake if we get there.

Judging Gentry based on three games with an almost completely new team is shortsighted at best. That's like investing in the stock market and freaking out about day to day fluctuations. Don't do it.

Gentry got a pass for going 0-7 and 0-8 on here.

I been saying for a hot minute forcing a scheme no matter how well it works or give you open looks. If it doesn't play to the strength of your personnel. It's a dud.

On top of that, it takes Gentry to long Adjust his scheme to work.

Gentry needs Steve Nash in order for him to pass as a competent coach.

Thread Information