Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: One single executive think Ingram won’t get extended

Rumor Rumor: One single executive think Ingram won’t get extended

http://www.inquisitr.com/5683847/bra...sion-doubtful/

So there is this article on BR this morning about Ingram not getting an extension and it got me thinking.

Seeing that I was a laker fan last year before the Lakers franchise decided to trade our entire team away, I have watched Ingram a lot. Based on the way he played in LA and the style he continued to play last night, I can see the Pelicans wanting to move him at some point this season.

It’s pretty obvious that the Pelicans want to push the pace early and often. This requires three things. Players that re willing to run, move well off the ball, and pass. Three things that it seems like Ingram is unwilling to do. He continued selfishly playing with the ball last night and forcing multiple bad shots. When he is off the ball he stands like a deer in headlights, and on only one occasion last night did he run up the floor with the ball.

I’m tired and frustrated with his inability to adapt to the teams style of play (including his time in LA).

If Ingram is unwilling to adapt. The Pelicans should trade him for someone that fits our style of play. Ingram can def play and we can get something good in return for him.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by HartOfaPelican; 10-10-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Alvin did mention in an interview after the first half of the Hawks that we were playing too much iso and that isn’t how we play. Pretty sure he was talking about Ingram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually said the same thing after watching him last night. He has talent and has intangibles that you can not teach, like length and wingspan. But he is a ball hog. he slows down the pace and unless he becomes Durant like, he doesn't fit with us. we should try to move him and get something in return. Maybe a good draft pick or a player that fits our system. but Draft capital is probably worth more right now.

You do want to have one iso monster in your squad, but preferably they would be off the bench. The biggest problem with Ingram is he isn’t quite the level of a Durant, prime Melo or Randle in isolation, so his bad decisions look way worse. He 100 percent needs to learn to play better off the ball and be less selfish. I don’t hate his skill set. His decision making is just very poor.

Classic overreaction post

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Yeah, I agree.

I know people think that I just hate Ingram on a personal level or something, but I don't. I think he has had a dreadful first two games, yes, but it's just two games in preseason. I'm not going to place too much weight on that long term.

If he's still looking like this fifteen or twenty games in, then yeah, I'll be more upset.

I do think he may potentially be packaged in a trade, if a good deal comes up, but it won't be because of his performance in 2 preseason games, it'll be because of his upcoming contract extension not being justified by his play.
    Basketball.

Kuzma would have been a better fit than Ingram with how we play... it's still early so im giving ingram more time before i can fully judge...

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post

Classic inability to not read the entire post?

Do you think I mentioned the part about previously being a laker fan and watching a lot of Ingram for my health? I put that in there to give context. Ingram has bee in this way for three years now.

Try harder and do better.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Kuzma would have been a better fit than Ingram with how we play... it's still early so im giving ingram more time before i can fully judge...

Kuz looks good in the offense zone. You should watch his low lights on defense. He might be one of the worst defenders in the league. I’m not exaggerating either. His defense is terrible. I’m not sad he wasn’t included in the trade. Hart and Ball were the two guys to get for sure.

The Franchise
    Yes.. Ingram did play selfishly, and he does have a propensity to isolate on offense. I was disappointed in what I saw last game and I hope the coaches get in his ****** about it. He needs to be coached.

With that being said, he was ranked one of the highest along with Kuz in distance traveled off ball on offense and defense. Him having trouble moving off ball simply isn't true. Him not being willing to run is another offhand take.

The Franchise
    He was 9th in the league in distance covered. He moves without the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Nah, Kuzma wouldn't have been better. Kuzma is a bad player. Yep, worse than Ingram. And he's older.

Funny thing is, if he changed his mentality even just a tiny bit, he’d be a much better player. There will be plays drawn up for you here and there, but Gentry obviously wasn’t pleased with him last night with his comments about “isolation basketball.” That wasn’t even the problem. He had open teammates and he blatantly ignored them to take his own shot. You can make iso work if you make the right decisions. Preferably we keep the ball moving, but if you have to stop the ball, at least make the easy freakin decision.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Funny thing is, if he changed his mentality even just a tiny bit, he’d be a much better player. There will be plays drawn up for you here and there, but Gentry obviously wasn’t pleased with him last night with his comments about “isolation basketball.” That wasn’t even the problem. He had open teammates and he blatantly ignored them to take his own shot. You can make iso work if you make the right decisions. Preferably we keep the ball moving, but if you have to stop the ball, at least make the easy freakin decision.
    Completely agree.

The issue isn't necessarily the iso-ball. Obviously you don't want too much iso ball, but every now and again it can be fine and it can be very useful to have the ability to score in isolations when the defense isn't giving you anything else. The problem is when you are choosing isolation shots when other, better shots are available and easier.

Like you said, he had open teammates and ignored them. If there's 6 seconds on the clock and nobody can get free and you're forced to isolate, fine, but when Derrick Favors is wide open rolling to the rim and you try a contested fadeaway instead and get blocked, that's a horrible choice.

Either he doesn't have the vision to see that pass (which is bad, because it was directly in front of him and wide open) or he thinks his shot was a better one (which is worse, because it was an awful shot). There's nothing about that situation which is good.

If he's capable of understanding that in the film room, and shows improvement over the next dozen games or so, then all is well. Sometimes players string together a few stinkers, it happens. But if he either doesn't see the issue or refuses to move on from it, that's scary, and we have to ship him off. See if you can convince the Wolves to part with Robert Covington or something. Send him to Chicago for Otto Porter. Trade him for picks and draft Isaac Okoro next year, any of these options would be better than keeping Ingram if he's committed to isoball.

I was about to say exactly this until you said it. We need someone in the starting 5 who can create his own offense other than Jrue. He just needs to know
    when it’s needed and when it’s not and hurting the rhythm of ball movement. The amount of times he gets to the rim has been encouraging regardless of the results thus far.

The Franchise
    Yep, some iso is fine if you're actually reading the floor while doing it.. He didn't care to read the floor at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Completely agree.

The issue isn't necessarily the iso-ball. Obviously you don't want too much iso ball, but every now and again it can be fine and it can be very useful to have the ability to score in isolations when the defense isn't giving you anything else. The problem is when you are choosing isolation shots when other, better shots are available and easier.

Like you said, he had open teammates and ignored them. If there's 6 seconds on the clock and nobody can get free and you're forced to isolate, fine, but when Derrick Favors is wide open rolling to the rim and you try a contested fadeaway instead and get blocked, that's a horrible choice.

Either he doesn't have the vision to see that pass (which is bad, because it was directly in front of him and wide open) or he thinks his shot was a better one (which is worse, because it was an awful shot). There's nothing about that situation which is good.

If he's capable of understanding that in the film room, and shows improvement over the next dozen games or so, then all is well. Sometimes players string together a few stinkers, it happens. But if he either doesn't see the issue or refuses to move on from it, that's scary, and we have to ship him off. See if you can convince the Wolves to part with Robert Covington or something. Send him to Chicago for Otto Porter. Trade him for picks and draft Isaac Okoro next year, any of these options would be better than keeping Ingram if he's committed to isoball.
    Precisely. You’d like Ingram to make it because he has the tools to be very decent. At this point in his career, he is his own worst enemy. Hopefully Gentry can sort him out before we have to make any bold decisions.

Precisely. You’d like Ingram to make it because he has the tools to be very decent. At this point in his career, he is his own worst enemy. Hopefully Gentry can sort him out before we have to make any bold decisions.
    That was a huge part of why so many of us didn't like the idea of Ingram as a central piece of an AD deal. Beyond his play, the time-scale. He needs extending this year, and if he's not good enough to extend then he needs moving. That means we have a maximum of about 4 months (November, December, January, beginning of Feb) to make the choice over whether to keep him or not. We don't have that long for Gentry to sort him out, and that's a worry.

That was a huge part of why so many of us didn't like the idea of Ingram as a central piece of an AD deal. Beyond his play, the time-scale. He needs extending this year, and if he's not good enough to extend then he needs moving. That means we have a maximum of about 4 months (November, December, January, beginning of Feb) to make the choice over whether to keep him or not. We don't have that long for Gentry to sort him out, and that's a worry.
    All I can say is at least he is young and might be open to criticism. Jrue, Favors and JJ need to get in his ear and let him know as well. We have enough veterans so Gentry shouldn’t be the only one to let him know.

All I can say is at least he is young and might be open to criticism. Jrue, Favors and JJ need to get in his ear and let him know as well. We have enough veterans so Gentry shouldn’t be the only one to let him know.
    That's the hope. With any luck, he comes out tomorrow in the next game and just has a great game and shuts everybody up, including me.

That's the hope. With any luck, he comes out tomorrow in the next game and just has a great game and shuts everybody up, including me.
    I hope you guys are right. However, I’m not as optimistic. I’ve never liked his attitude but I hope the Pelicans can help change that. The first two weeks of the season will be a good measuring stick for the Pelicans in regards to Ingram.

If he is willing to adapt he is undoubtedly a positive asset to this team. If not... time to go shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    I hope you guys are right. However, I’m not as optimistic. I’ve never liked his attitude but I hope the Pelicans can help change that. The first two weeks of the season will be a good measuring stick for the Pelicans in regards to Ingram.

If he is willing to adapt he is undoubtedly a positive asset to this team. If not... time to go shopping!
    Oh, I'm not optimistic I have never liked Ingram as a player at all, and unfortunately his ceiling seems a long long way away. I'm just hoping for the sake of the team.

Ingram won’t be moved and he will be extended as a Pelican for the future. He fits in exactly what we want at SF complimenting both Zion and Zo very well. We are loaded at guard so moving him for any position there makes very little sense. We have our superstar PF in Zion along with our young future star C in Hayes. We have nobody to takeover the SF position other then drafting which is no guarantee whatsoever. Ingram is one of the best young SFs in the NBA and you pay the kid. Basing him off of 1 pre season game!? He is also coming off a heart surgery where he had to stay immobile for nearly 6 month up until very recently.. Come on be realistic. People did the same crap about Jrue I fought for years now everyone is all over his bandwagon when before it was me driving it and about 2 people riding. Ingram is going to be a star here just watch! Trading him instead of keeping him around with our other young studs would be foolish.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 10-10-2019 at 09:51 PM.

No he absolutely would not have. Ingram is a true SF who has the versatility to play SG and even PF at times especially as he gets stronger. Ingram also has very good passing skills allowing him to create for Zion. I’m a big Kuzma fan but he is more of a wait and shoot type of guy who is a tweeter. If anything he is a PF first which would take Zions best position and he isn’t able to play SF very well. Only thing Kuzma would do well for Zion is some floor spacing. There is a reason we traded for Ingram and not Kuzma who we would have gotten instead of Ingram had that been what we wanted.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    To be honest, I think he's trying to get back into the flow. He hasn't played basketball since what, February/March? Don't think this is what we're gonna see often.

Thread Information