Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp Begins

It's nice to see all those Laker fans that was gassing Lonzo up trade value turn on him and start calling him trash.

I don't understand why they try pretend like Ball and BI straight up for AD was a fair trade. Trash fan base. I hope AD leaves next year.

The Franchise
    If you were to check out Lakersground.net you'll see that 90% of the posters are high on Ball, and Ingram.. Ball even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    If you were to check out Lakersground.net you'll see that 90% of the posters are high on Ball, and Ingram.. Ball even more so.
    Have you considered that when people talk about Laker fans doing X, that's not because they're trying to set up some horrible strawman and more likely just because they've seen Lakers fans doing X?

Like Taker, I've also seen a huge number of Laker fans on twitter, Instagram, YouTube comments, talking about how "lol Lonzos shot is so broken he's worthless" and "who cares if we lost those guys they're always injured" Yadda Yadda.

It's possible that the fans on Lakers ground don't do that, but I don't see why we're supposed to use them as the standard instead of the vastly more common other types of Lakers fan.

As a side note, I'm not going to check our Lakers ground because I'm not a Lakers fan, and spending a bunch of time on a forum for a team I don't like or support sounds like a huge waste of time.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Have you considered that when people talk about Laker fans doing X, that's not because they're trying to set up some horrible strawman and more likely just because they've seen Lakers fans doing X?

Like Taker, I've also seen a huge number of Laker fans on twitter, Instagram, YouTube comments, talking about how "lol Lonzos shot is so broken he's worthless" and "who cares if we lost those guys they're always injured" Yadda Yadda.

It's possible that the fans on Lakers ground don't do that, but I don't see why we're supposed to use them as the standard instead of the vastly more common other types of Lakers fan.

As a side note, I'm not going to check our Lakers ground because I'm not a Lakers fan, and spending a bunch of time on a forum for a team I don't like or support sounds like a huge waste of time.
    ahahahahaha

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

In secret, Zion is is Tim Duncanning Favors.

And so the scrimmaging begins!!

So this means white squad is what, Frank Jackson, NAW, Melli, Moore, Okafor, Kenrich, and co?

White teams getting slaughtered

This sounds incredible. Wish we had video

We have VIDEO!!!!!

Zion is a monster

Love that family atmosphere we seem to be building.

And this is the kind of practice play you wanna see run. Multiple players, in motion, replicating in-game scenarios. Great to see Ingram drive, kick, and then naturally relocate for the three in the corner instead of going anywhere else. That makes so much more sense than drifting back out to the key, and if he's going to get those shots he needs to take them, so that's a great focus to be working on.

Love seeing T-Spoon active in the practice and being super vocal.

Some more tape of Lonzo shooting some threes. A few good signs:

1) He's apparently practising this a lot which is good to see
    2) There seems to be a lot of ease in the stroke. Not much strain going on.

It's also good to see him shooting from the corners. Lonzo was an absolute trash-fire shooting from the corners last year, managing to scrape barely 23% from the corners. If he could pull that up to just 30%, that would be a huge leap forward for him. That's still sub-league average, but you can't expect everything to fall into place at once.

I can tell he's been working on it for longer than the last two weeks or so, it looks fairly comfortable. Obviously there's no telling how it will hold up under in-game pressure, but the closer it can get to second nature, the better.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 10-02-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Kenrich's accent surprised me a lot on media day, but seeing him put in the hard work in practice doesn't. He's got such a good mentality, I really think he could be a big piece for us at the 3 and 4 spots this year. Not super heavy minutes or anything, but just a good reliable guy to go to in order to patch rotations and keep people's minutes low, while providing great hustle, defense, high IQ play, etc. If he can be a reliable shooter too in those minutes, then that would be awesome: he had some hot patches last season but was way too inconsistent.

Incredible scenes. You love to see it.

From yesterday

Seen a couple of people on twitter saying ''Zion isn't even jumping that high anymore... this is the kind of stuff Lebron does every day... looks like Blake Griffin 2.0 to me...''

Like... first of all, taller and heavier guys generally jump less, so the fact that he's around 6'9, 280lbs, and getting head-above-the-rim height IS absolutely ridiculous.

Secondly, it's practice.

Thirdly, and maybe most obviously: what's wrong with only being as athletic as Lebron James and Blake Griffin?!?!?! Those guys are probably the two most explosive big men in the last 20 years of NBA history. Saying that Zion is ''only'' as athletic as Lebron James and Blake Griffin is like saying someone's car is only as fast as a Bugatti and a Ferrari. Big insult.

Here's another angle on that inbounds alley-oop from Lonzo to Zion. Such an impressive move.

You can see when the camera pans over that Zion wasn't jsut sat there in the dunker spot, he has to come over from near the FT line to catch that. It comes off the backboard at the top of the square, so that's pretty comfortably above the rim and he catches it with BOTH hands, and flushes it. That's awesome, especially when you consider that this is just practice.

Lonzo with the quick draw

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...mp-per-report/

Sounds like by the end of the week.

Here's another angle on that inbounds alley-oop from Lonzo to Zion. Such an impressive move.

You can see when the camera pans over that Zion wasn't jsut sat there in the dunker spot, he has to come over from near the FT line to catch that. It comes off the backboard at the top of the square, so that's pretty comfortably above the rim and he catches it with BOTH hands, and flushes it. That's awesome, especially when you consider that this is just practice.
    Impressive, but that's the type of stuff that can cause injuries when you land awkwardly.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Impressive, but that's the type of stuff that can cause injuries when you land awkwardly.
    It can, as can almost every jump, but one of the things that sets Zion apart from a lot of other explosive dunkers is how sound his landing mechanics are.

Obviously even with perfect landing mechanics, you still risk injury with essentially every movement, but if you watch Zion in that clip (and in fact, in the vast majority of clips of him dunking) he has a good knack for getting the knee in line with the ankle and bending it with his weight as he comes down, rather than getting awkward angles or landing stiff legged.

Compare the way Zion lands to old clips of D Rose landing, and you'll see what I mean: D Rose looked like his ankles and knees were all over with every landing. Zion looks much safer by comparison.

I worry about him, because I can't help but worry, but I don't think he does much in a way that actively threatens injury more than the bare minimum risk of playing the game.

Found that article about shooting mechanics and changes to form, by the way! It's by Mo Dakhil, former NBA Video Coordinator with the Clippers and Spurs.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-nba-jump-shot

A player doesn't magically become a better shooter overnight. "You are developing new habits, and that takes time," says shooting coach Dave Love, who has worked with the Orlando Magic, Cleveland Cavaliers and Phoenix Suns and consults with players around the league. [...]

Changing the shot is changing muscle memory. "We have to teach that muscle to fire in the correct way and correct time and correct dosage compared to other muscles," Love said.

Richard Jefferson, a 17-year NBA veteran and league champion, shot below 30 percent from three during his first two seasons in the Association but ended as 37.6 percent three-point shooter. "You are fighting your body because your body has always done things a certain way, and so you're having to re-train your body," he said.
    Changing shooting habits is not just a physical challenge. "Fighting your body," as Jefferson put it, provides a whole set of obstacles: getting your body to adjust to a new form, holding the ball a different way, changing the release point or understanding how to follow through all come with a mental aspect. [...]

In this process, a player will start by missing a ton of shots. Players have to battle the frustration that comes with seeing so many misses. It is human nature to feel as if no progress is being made. So much is asked of the player's body in adjusting to a new form that it will take time for it to feel right and become muscle memory.

"As much as it sucks and doesn't feel good, in the long run it is a good thing for us," Coach Love tells frustrated players. The road to becoming a good shooter is paved with these misses. Getting a player to understand that these types of days are still good is important to keep them engaged.

Brook Lopez of the Milwaukee Bucks looks at these tough shooting days as part of the psychological battle. "It's mental ... You know you got to stick with it because all of those shots, whether makes or misses, you know, I believe they just accumulate, and they'll make you become a better shooter regardless."
    Some big, important statements in there. Luckily, I don't think Lonzo will struggle too much with the mental aspect. He's said all summer that he's been a good shooter all his life and knows he has that ability, and even when he was bricking everything he was shooting more than 5 threes a game, which means he's not going to be deterred by a miss here and there. The physical thing will be the biggest challenge, I think, but we have a very good shooting staff, and I'm sure he can do it if he puts in the work.

Idk if zo put that off the back board on purpose but it was actually the best spot bc if doesn't get the oop he's still in good position for the rebound

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Idk if zo put that off the back board on purpose but it was actually the best spot bc if doesn't get the oop he's still in good position for the rebound

He didn't.

Jim Eichenhofer quoted Lonzo on Twitter as saying "That wasn’t the best pass, but you saw what he did with it. It’s really hard to throw him a bad lob.”

Thread Information