Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pelicans very interested in Joe Johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Darius will be back by April or so. Is that too late? Folks are acting as if he died.
    Is it too late? Depends what for.

If you take the extra salary as literally nothing more than trade filler, then no, it's not too late.

If you're one of the people hoping hard that we'll make the playoffs, then yeah April is probably too late to help that goal in any way. Especially when you consider that being "back" in April from an Achilles injury is not actually a guarantee of being back at a playable quality.
    Basketball.

If he goes the full 8 months, it'll be late April, early May. That's around the time of the conference finals I think? I don't think we'll be around by then to be honest.

On the other hand, if Darius Miller was the lynchpin on which playoff hopes rested, then we weren't making them anyway. So this shouldn't make a huge difference in that respect, Id think.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Well the contract we gave Miller sure looks silly now.
    To be fair it always looked silly. His contract still achieves the same purpose though. Filler if needed.

Feel bad for Miller though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    We don't.

We just also don't have the money for the 10 year vet min.
    Yes we do. There is an exception that allows you to always sign a player to a minimum deal even if it pushes you into the luxury tax as long as you're not hardcapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yes we do. There is an exception that allows you to always sign a player to a minimum deal even if it pushes you into the luxury tax as long as you're not hardcapped.
    Oh yeah

That's me just missing a gimme, Jesus.

Still, we'd have to find roster space, so we would have to cut someone. I vote for Frank Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Darius will be back by April or so. Is that too late? Folks are acting as if he died.
    Regular season ends early to mid-April

TBW says that we can apply for a DPE-

According to ESPN analyst Bobby Marks, the Pelicans may apply for a Disabled Player Exception if the NBA feels Miller’s injury will keep him out until June 15. Considering the long recovery times associated with Achilles ruptures, this feels like a safe bet. If so, the Pelicans will be granted $3.625 million and space on the roster for another body..

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2019/8...brandon-ingram
    I don't know why I thought you had to have something like 3 players injured to get one, but maybe that is for shorter term injuries during the season.

TBW says that we can apply for a DPE-
    I don't know why I thought you had to have something like 3 players injured to get one, but maybe that is for shorter term injuries during the season.
    It is. If a player is confirmed probable by the league's doctors to be out for the entire season, you get a DPE even if it's only the one player.

It is. If a player is confirmed probable by the league's doctors to be out for the entire season, you get a DPE even if it's only the one player.
    Not a whole lot left as far as FA Fs. Maybe Corey Brewer? Makes me think we may have more than a passing interest in Johnson as we could use someone who can stretch the floor.

Oh yeah

That's me just missing a gimme, Jesus.

Still, we'd have to find roster space, so we would have to cut someone. I vote for Frank Jackson.
    If Miller is out for the year then we have a roster spot.

If Miller is out for the year then we have a roster spot.
    He's still signed and on the roster. An injured player isn't just taken off the roster, I don't think. Even a DPE just grants money, not roster spots.

Not a whole lot left as far as FA Fs. Maybe Corey Brewer? Makes me think we may have more than a passing interest in Johnson as we could use someone who can stretch the floor.
    Yeah, I think it will probably be Joe Johnson. At least he can shoot, and still has some ability to break down a defense. He's also a decent off-ball player, when asked: in his last 'real' season (2016-17), he shot 41.5% on catch and shoot threes, an 41.7% from the corners.

He's still signed and on the roster. An injured player isn't just taken off the roster, I don't think. Even a DPE just grants money, not roster spots.
    Now you've got me rethinking it too. I'm going to have to read the CBAFAQ and see if it's answered there.

Now you've got me rethinking it too. I'm going to have to read the CBAFAQ and see if it's answered there.
    I could be wrong, I'm not a CBA wizard, but I took a quick look on there and couldn't find anything about it. Admittedly, this was literally a 5 minute glance, so I could have easily just missed it.

From Coon-

DISABLED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team which is over the cap to replace a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (it can also be granted in the event of a player's death). This exception is granted by the league, based on an application from the team and a determination by an NBA-designated physician or Fitness to Play panel (see question number 62) that the player is substantially more likely than not to be unable to play through the following June 15.

If this exception is granted, the team can acquire one player via free agent signing, trade or waiver claim, to replace the disabled player:

The team may sign a free agent for one season only, for 50% of the disabled player's salary or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.
    The team may trade for a player in the last season of his contract only (including any option years)2, who is making no more than 50% plus $100,000 of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception plus $100,000, whichever is less.
    The team may claim a player on waivers who is in the last season of his contract only (including any option years), who is making no more than 50% of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.
    Teams can apply for this exception from July 1 through January 15, and cannot apply after January 15. Once granted, the exception expires when a player is acquired, when the disabled player is traded or returns to the team, or on March 10 of that season, whichever comes first. This exception is granted on a season-by-season basis -- if the player will also be out the following season, the team needs to apply for this exception again the following season.

This exception only can be granted to the team for which the player was playing when his injury or illness was known, or reasonably should have become known. A team cannot trade for an injured player and subsequently apply for a Disabled Player exception for that player.

If a team's application for a disabled player exception is denied, the team must wait 90 days before submitting another request related to the same player, and then only for a new injury or aggravation of the same injury. Whether the application was approved or denied, the team can apply again (including for the same injury) the following season.

If the disabled player comes back sooner than expected he may be activated immediately, and the replacement player is not affected.

Don't confuse the Disabled Player exception with the salary cap relief teams sometimes receive after losing a player to a career-ending injury or death (see question number 61). The Disabled Player exception allows a team to acquire a replacement player. The salary cap relief removes a contract from the team's books.

Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

See my issue is, the Lakers just lost Cousins to a season ending injury and they still had to release a player to sign Howard.

So from that it makes sense that you still need an open roster spot. I know there's a hardship exception during the season and I've hard arguments in the past about whether you needed an open roster spot or not for the DPE, but I've got everything all jumbled up now and can't remember if you need a spot or not. I'm assuming based on Cousins case you must need to still create a roster spot.

In which case, I don't want to release anyone.

We don't.

We just also don't have the money for the 10 year vet min.
    We don't have any cap space but you don't need cap space for minimum contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    We don't have any cap space but you don't need cap space for minimum contracts.
    Yeah, I kinda dropped the ball on that one. Still though, as I said to Mythrol, we would need to create roster space. Which would require releasing someone.

Who?

Yeah, I kinda dropped the ball on that one. Still though, as I said to Mythrol, we would need to create roster space. Which would require releasing someone.

Who?
    Well, releasing Miller wouldn't hurt us on the court though it would remove the flexibility we gained by signing him to the overvalued contract in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Well, releasing Miller wouldn't hurt us on the court though it would remove the flexibility we gained by signing him to the overvalued contract in the first place.
    It would also suck because it would remove long term flexibility, since his contract extends into next year as well, which would give us the chance to use it at a later point.

I'm at the position where I'd rather just keep the roster how it is. Ingram is going to get the majority of SF minutes, Zion will probably get a handful of them too, Jrue might get a couple, Hart will get some, and if there's any left over that need filling I'd just feed them to Kenrich.

Regular season ends early to mid-April
    Just in time for the playoff run.

Thread Information