Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NAW Highlights

NAW Highlights

I told folks he was a point guard days ago. Believe me now? I REALLY like this kid.

WillGuillory

"We asked Nickeil Alexander-Walker about Jaxson Hayes' dunk and Hayes stopped him mid-sentence to say, "I just want to say, the only reason I got that dunk was because of his fire pass. Don't look at the dunk, look at the pass"

I love this even more reason to like this dude.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

He froze 3 defenders and did a one handed pass around his man’s outside position. That’s great basketball.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    NAW is a natural 2 who has great vision and I think he can easily slide into that point role in the NBA. He and Frank should battle each other all season long for minutes. His size, quickness and length at the 1 will also help him defensively which he's also pretty good at as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    NAW is a natural 2 who has great vision and I think he can easily slide into that point role in the NBA. He and Frank should battle each other all season long for minutes. His size, quickness and length at the 1 will also help him defensively which he's also pretty good at as well.
    Right now, just going on their Summer League appearances (which is obviously way too small a sample size), it's not a battle. NAW looks far more ready to run and operate an offense than Frank did in his showings.
    Basketball.

It almost seems like the Pelicans rookie class is pretty good at this basketball thing.

After watching Zion in game 1 and the highlights of NAW and Hayes in these two threads, I have come to a few conclusions.

1. We don't need anymore signings. There aren't enough minutes in a game to give to these guys.
    2. This very well could be the most talented group of people ever to wear New Orleans uniform. OMG they can fly!
    3. We won the off season. While everyone is out there celebrating KD to Brooklyn or Kawai to the Clips, we have quietly put together a draft class for the ages.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Right now, just going on their Summer League appearances (which is obviously way too small a sample size), it's not a battle. NAW looks far more ready to run and operate an offense than Frank did in his showings.
    I agree 100% NAW was my favorite non-Zion pick lol but I was just giving respect to the guy who just went off, has more experience, and from what I hear the front office likes. I'd have no issues if NAW was the 2nd guard off the bench after JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I never thought Frank was a point guard... to me he's better off the ball. NAW seems more polished as a player overall whether at the 1 or off the ball. Yes small sample but that sample was VERY impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I never thought Frank was a point guard... to me he's better off the ball. NAW seems more polished as a player overall whether at the 1 or off the ball. Yes small sample but that sample was VERY impressive.
    It's funny, everything I was begging for Jackson to show in Game 1, NAW showed here in game 3.

I asked for Jackson to show signs of being able to playmake for others, particularly off the dribble. NAW did that.
    I asked for Jackson to run the pick and roll, just to show that basic proficiency. NAW did that.
    I wanted to see how Jackson's jumper was looking after a long gap of not playing. NAW showed his, and it was smooth.
    I wanted Jackson to show how to control the pace and flow of a game, rather than just going for the bucket every play. NAW did that.
    NAW showed far more disciplined defense as well, against a tough matchup: White looked good out there, and NAW just held it down.

Add to that that NAW is basically 6'6'', whereas Frank is 6'3'', and that NAW has a 6'10 wingspan compared to Frank's 6'7, the writing seems to be on the wall for Frank, at least as a lead guard.

All-Star
    One game in the Summer League and I'm already a big fun of this guy. His vision and playmaking skills will help him to be productive in NBA games from the instance. I really really hope that in few years people will call him the biggest steal of 2019 draft.

Sign me up for the NAW bandwagon. It's just summer league, but some of the stuff you want to see young kids exhibit, he already has;
    Feel for the game
    Finishing at the rim
    Ability to see the floor (OMG them wraparound passes!
    Basketball IQ!!!! Besides playoff Rondo, when was the last time you saw a Pelican pg show advanced Bball IQ.

I can't wait to see more of him. Also, anyone who shows up at the draft with a snakeskin suit doesn't lack for confidence.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    I watched a lot of him in college - I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by his handle. I never would've thought he could've been counted on at the point. He looks to have really improved in the offseason. He is already far and away my favorite "Hokie" (I have very few).

NAW and Hayes reminded me of CP3 and Tyson last night. They were just having a blast, and you can see the chemistry between the two. Of course it’s summer league. But rarely do you see this kind of chemistry and flair on a debut in summer league if ever. It’s promising

Oh NAW, hell NAW

Rewatching his highlights from last night I realized just how much he prefers to go, finish, and pass with his left even though he's technically a righty... reminds me of a certain other guard...

Ever since I checked this guy out I knew it was the right pick. I like Nassir Little’s potential, but this guy has shown it. He has the potential to be one of the better combo in guards in the NBA. The way this kid can use either hand is breathtaking. I hope Nico Melli shows to be a great addition from the jump as well.

C: Favors, Hayes, Okafor
    PF: Zion, Melli, Wood
    SF: Ingram, Moore/Hart, Miller
    SG: Redick, NAW
    PG: Jrue, Lonzo, Frank

I think NAW has more potential than both Moore & Hart and won’t be surprised if he gets more minutes really soon. Hopefully Melli can be our backup 4 due to spacing. I still think Jrue is starting at point guard, but maybe JJ comes off the bench. Lonzo could have 3 good shooters with NAW, Moore, & Melli to space it for them lobs to Hayes off the pick & roll!! Man that would be one helluva a 2nd unit IMO.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 07-09-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Opening day lineup will be

Lonzo
    Jrue
    Ingram
    Zion
    Favors

Book it

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post

Lonzo
    Jrue
    Ingram
    Zion
    Favors

Book it
    I think pretty much everyone agrees with that.

wouldnt surprise me if they went okafor for the starting lineup for experience sake....as in prior experience with the pels

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    wouldnt surprise me if they went okafor for the starting lineup for experience sake.
    Favors has far, far more NBA experience than Okafor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    wouldnt surprise me if they went okafor for the starting lineup for experience sake....as in prior experience with the pels
    No chance in hell Okafor starts before Favors.
    Favors has way more experience and IQ that he would get up to speed.

Can we get a NAW Frank starting backcourt heading into SL finals

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post

Lonzo
    Jrue
    Ingram
    Zion
    Favors

Book it
    I just don’t like the spacing with Lonzo in there. I don’t see how you can start a team with all 3 of your best shooters on the bench in Redick, Moore, & NAW in today’s NBA. Maybe Jrue &/or Ingram will be good enough shooters to space the floor for Zion, Lonzo, & Favors, but I just don’t see it. Lonzo & Zion need shooters around them to maximize their talent and I don’t think just Jrue & Ingram will cut it unfortunately.

Look what happened with Duke when Reddish was out the game. They left Jones open and he couldn’t hit those open shots. Last year the Lakers had LeBron, Ingram, & Kuzma surrounding Lonzo and they didn’t do so great. They need at least one dangerous 3 point shooter and JJ Redick is the perfect guy to do that for Zion with Moore & NAW for Lonzo.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 07-09-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Finishing 5 will be interesting.
    It will switch between Ball and Reddick depending on if offense or defense is needed.

Thread Information