.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 219

Thread: PELS WIN LOTTERY! Does AD stay?

  1. #176
    RIP BDJ AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    Who cares? Why are you a fan? lol


    You should care because it puts your team in a great position no matter if he is traded or not.
    Please....were you even born in 1992?
    That's how long I have followed this team.
    Yes I know they were Charlotte back then but.....what ever!

  2. #177
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    To be clear, you don't have to match salaries in a trade if the other team has enough cap space to just absorb the contracts without going over the cap.

    For example: If the Knicks REALLY wanted AD and cared about nothing else they have enough cap space to be able to absorb his contract in and only send picks back. They won't do this because they want to keep their salary to be able to sign players but it could happen.

    You only need to match salaries if you're already over the cap or doing the trade will put you over the cap (I'm simplifying here it's more complex but this is the jist).
    Great post

  3. #178
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    There is only one NBA player worth their SuperMax atm... It's Steph Curry.

    You guys are sooo short sighted. We need a team before handing out a SuperMax. No team... No chance. We'll end up in the exact same cap & talent situation that we are on the verge of getting out of....
    I agree that NBA players are way overpaid, but there is a structure that allows for the SuperMax and AD clearly falls in that category.

  4. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I agree that NBA players are way overpaid, but there is a structure that allows for the SuperMax and AD clearly falls in that category.
    Still believe you don't hand out a supermax and then try to build a team. If you want to be the Washington Wizards. cool beans. You don't build good teams like this. Let AD go and have a complete rebuild. It's a salary game. Paying AD $40 million isn't gonna to do it and inflate our winshares to the point where building through the drafting is difficult. We have to do a complete rebuild and the only affordable big piece is Jrue.

    That 2017-2018 squad window is closed

    Trade AD to Knicks or Lakers. Get RJ Barret or Hunter. Acquire more future picks. Keep building assets. This old way of just building through overpaying players needs to be supplemented by actually having drafting assets.
    Last edited by Taker597; 05-15-2019 at 11:24 AM.

  5. #180
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Still believe you don't hand out a supermax and then try to build a team. If you want to be the Washington Wizards. cool beans. You don't build good teams like this. Let AD go and have a complete rebuild. It's a salary game. Paying AD $40 million isn't gonna to do it and inflate our winshares to the point where building through the drafting is difficult. We have to do a complete rebuild and the only affordable big piece is Jrue.

    That 2017-2018 squad window is closed

    Trade AD to Knicks or Lakers. Get RJ Barret or Hunter. Acquire more future picks. Keep building assets. This old way of just building through overpaying players needs to be supplemented by actually having drafting assets.
    So what are you drafting for? Your hope is to acquire a draft pick that will turn into a superstar. So, you trade away a top 8-10 player in the NBA just approaching his prime for the hope that you get that lucky again and pull a rabbit out of a hat with the 3rd-6th pick in a weak draft? If he gives you no options, you have no choice. If there is a chance to keep him and pair him with Zion, you do that every day.

  6. #181
    Lol. Someone who hasn't posted in years questioned someone else's fan credentials.

    That happened.

  7. #182
    To me, it makes sense that Davis's camp continues to put out the idea that the hiring of Griffen and the securing of the #1 pick have not changed his mind. After demanding a trade, his reputation took somewhat of a hit. Most people in the City of New Orleans remain angry with him over what they see as Davis turning his back on the organization and his teammates. Well, it would look incredibly fickle if he immediately came out and changed his mind upon hearing that Griffen was hired or that we won the right to select Zion Williamson. It would be a bigger slap in the face to the organization and teammates. It says I could not win with Demps or my teammates but I can simply with the hiring of Griffen and selection of Zion. On the other hand, it looks much better, should he decide to stay, if that decision comes after meeting with Griffen. He can then say it was the long-term vision that Griffen laid out and his belief that things will move in the right direction that convinced him to stick around. I am not saying that there is a guarantee that he stays--though I am maybe a little more optimistic than others--but I do not think it should come as any surprise that he has not immediately jumped back on board.
    Last edited by 60minutes; 05-15-2019 at 04:57 PM.

  8. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by 60minutes View Post
    Test.
    Did it work?
    Zion ''The Earthquake'' Williamson

  9. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Please....were you even born in 1992?
    That's how long I have followed this team.
    Yes I know they were Charlotte back then but.....what ever!
    Funny thing is you "don't care" yet you post and this thread proves that people do care. You should cash in your Charlotte Hornets chips, I am sure they are worth something?!??

  10. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Did it work?
    Yes. I had tried to post before and it appeared my message had gone through. But when I returned to the post, it was not there and it also was not listed in the messages catalogued in my profile.

  11. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by 60minutes View Post
    Yes. I had tried to post before and it appeared my message had gone through. But when I returned to the post, it was not there and it also was not listed in the messages catalogued in my profile.
    Weird. Hello now though!

  12. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So what are you drafting for? Your hope is to acquire a draft pick that will turn into a superstar. So, you trade away a top 8-10 player in the NBA just approaching his prime for the hope that you get that lucky again and pull a rabbit out of a hat with the 3rd-6th pick in a weak draft? If he gives you no options, you have no choice. If there is a chance to keep him and pair him with Zion, you do that every day.
    You know when we got AD. He had no one. Zion will be fine. We had big Foot G running point, unmotivated fraud in EG, and Robin Lopez.

    We develop our players and squad. We don't have to rush through a rebuild. We control our own destiny
    Last edited by Taker597; 05-15-2019 at 07:02 PM.

  13. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Ok cool thanks, only problem is Iím not too high on any of the 3 players mentioned in the Knicks trade and I think rj Barrett is overrated, wish the Knicks landed the 2nd overall pick and we could land ja Morant
    If Conley stays in Memphis they might take Barrett instead of Morant. The draft is going to be exciting this year.

  14. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    If Conley stays in Memphis they might take Barrett instead of Morant. The draft is going to be exciting this year.
    Speaking of Memphis



    Looks like they are in on Morant.

  15. #190
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Speaking of Memphis



    Looks like they are in on Morant.
    Would be foolish to do otherwise. Ja is the truth.

  16. #191
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    You know when we got AD. He had no one. Zion will be find. We had big Foot G running point, unmotivated fraud in EG, and Robin Lopez.

    We develop our players and squad. We don't have to rush through a rebuild. We control our own destiny
    How is keeping your own star to pair with your draft choice rushing a rebuild?

  17. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    How is keeping your own star to pair with your draft choice rushing a rebuild?
    On one hand, I get your point.

    On the other, paying a guy who has already already has emphatically requested out multiple times $240m for the sake of competing next season instead of later could be seen as doing what is needed to win now instead of setting up long term stable success. That could, conceivably, be described as rushing depending on how you see this team with the Jrue-AD-Zion core, and how well you believe we'd be able to put long term assets around them to win over multiple years.

  18. #193
    Interesting take. (via The Ringer)

    After the lottery, Griffin acknowledged to reporters that having the no. 1 pick affords the franchise more flexibility in the coming months. There’s less pressure to deal Davis now. The Pelicans can play it slow, going into the season with a core of AD, Zion, and Jrue Holiday, and see how things play out. If February 2020 rolls around and Davis still wants to leave, the team could trade him before the deadline for a haul. If Davis’s true reason for originally wanting out was to compete for a championship, how many teams can he now find with more long-term potential than the Pelicans? “He’s wanted to win this whole time and he felt compelled to try to win elsewhere. I think if you look at the totality of where this organization is and where we’re going, we feel very strongly that we’re going to be the environment he wants to be part of,” Griffin said. “And if we’re not, that’s fine; we can deal with it from there. But I’m looking at this, believing that there’s no reason he wouldn’t want to win with us, because that’s what we do. It’s who we are. And I think culturally we’re about all the same things.”

  19. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    Interesting take. (via The Ringer)

    After the lottery, Griffin acknowledged to reporters that having the no. 1 pick affords the franchise more flexibility in the coming months. There’s less pressure to deal Davis now. The Pelicans can play it slow, going into the season with a core of AD, Zion, and Jrue Holiday, and see how things play out. If February 2020 rolls around and Davis still wants to leave, the team could trade him before the deadline for a haul. If Davis’s true reason for originally wanting out was to compete for a championship, how many teams can he now find with more long-term potential than the Pelicans? “He’s wanted to win this whole time and he felt compelled to try to win elsewhere. I think if you look at the totality of where this organization is and where we’re going, we feel very strongly that we’re going to be the environment he wants to be part of,” Griffin said. “And if we’re not, that’s fine; we can deal with it from there. But I’m looking at this, believing that there’s no reason he wouldn’t want to win with us, because that’s what we do. It’s who we are. And I think culturally we’re about all the same things.”
    I mean, it's not a new take. We've been hearing this since at least March.

    The pros:
    - Possibly makes AD more likely to stay long term
    - Makes us a better team next year

    The cons:
    - Makes the return on an AD trade far less valuable than if we trade him now
    - Runs the risk of him walking if we can't get a good deal sorted
    - If AD decides he still wants to leave, it tanks another season into the garbage
    - Don't want Zion developing in his rookie year overshadowed by nonsense drama
    - Don't want any Zion being potentially influenced by Mr. Doesn't Dress Himself
    - If we are going for a rebuild, having AD on this roster will make us pick in the mid teens rather than in the lottery*


    *Yes, I'm aware that lottery odds aren't everything anymore, and that the Lakers jumped from 14th to 4th last night. That doesn't mean it's a guarantee. Top 10 teams overwhelmingly ended up with top ten picks.

  20. #195
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    Interesting take. (via The Ringer)

    After the lottery, Griffin acknowledged to reporters that having the no. 1 pick affords the franchise more flexibility in the coming months. There’s less pressure to deal Davis now. The Pelicans can play it slow, going into the season with a core of AD, Zion, and Jrue Holiday, and see how things play out. If February 2020 rolls around and Davis still wants to leave, the team could trade him before the deadline for a haul. If Davis’s true reason for originally wanting out was to compete for a championship, how many teams can he now find with more long-term potential than the Pelicans? “He’s wanted to win this whole time and he felt compelled to try to win elsewhere. I think if you look at the totality of where this organization is and where we’re going, we feel very strongly that we’re going to be the environment he wants to be part of,” Griffin said. “And if we’re not, that’s fine; we can deal with it from there. But I’m looking at this, believing that there’s no reason he wouldn’t want to win with us, because that’s what we do. It’s who we are. And I think culturally we’re about all the same things.”
    Meh. Nothing is getting through Davis' camp. Rich Paul doesn't want him in NOLA, and AD is too much of a beta male to tell him no. Would it be wise to give us a chance? Hell yes. Is he gonna do it? Nope. Whether he's calling the shots, or his agent, the man wants to be in a big market. He can put off this facade that he "wants to win," but when was the last time anyone won on the Lakers or Knicks? The boy wonder LeBron couldn't even help the Lakers. But he's got an itch that needs scratching, so nothing is gonna stop him.

    The quicker we realize this, the better off we'll be. Let's be happy we're gonna get a generational player and focus on the return we could possibly get.

  21. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Meh. Nothing is getting through Davis' camp. Rich Paul doesn't want him in NOLA, and AD is too much of a beta male to tell him no. Would it be wise to give us a chance? Hell yes. Is he gonna do it? Nope. Whether he's calling the shots, or his agent, the man wants to be in a big market. He can put off this facade that he "wants to win," but when was the last time anyone won on the Lakers or Knicks? The boy wonder LeBron couldn't even help the Lakers. But he's got an itch that needs scratching, so nothing is gonna stop him.

    The quicker we realize this, the better off we'll be. Let's be happy we're gonna get a generational player and focus on the return we could possibly get.
    Exactly! You sit him down, you tell him, look. We got Jrue, we got Zion. We know this team has potential. We also have a cheque for $240m, and it has your name on it. You either sign the extension, right now, with full commitment to the team, or you're gone, and you won't be going to LA. 100% in, or 100% out. No compromises. No ''stay until January and then we'll see''. Either all in now, or gone, now. That's it. And if he's gone now, which I think he is, then you don't try and convince him and you don't look back. Have some dignity and don't beg.

  22. #197
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Exactly! You sit him down, you tell him, look. We got Jrue, we got Zion. We know this team has potential. We also have a cheque for $240m, and it has your name on it. You either sign the extension, right now, with full commitment to the team, or you're gone, and you won't be going to LA. 100% in, or 100% out. No compromises. No ''stay until January and then we'll see''. Either all in now, or gone, now. That's it. And if he's gone now, which I think he is, then you don't try and convince him and you don't look back. Have some dignity and don't beg.
    Exactly. He is being traded to the Knicks for Barrett, Dennis Smith Jr, Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, and both the Knicks and Mavericks top 3 protected 2021 first round picks.

  23. #198
    Omg... The Coli (My other Bball forum) Knicks fans
    have lost their collective minds and talking nonsense and trashing our city. What
    A bunch of sore loser

  24. #199
    Unstoppable! GuardianAngel25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    7,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Exactly. He is being traded to the Knicks for Barrett, Dennis Smith Jr, Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, and both the Knicks and Mavericks top 3 protected 2021 first round picks.
    Add in Alonzo Trier as well. Perfect piece for what we need on the bench to replace Moore pairing up with Frank. I would then dangle DSJr, Knox, and future 1st round picks to help bring in player/players to that fit around Jrue/Barrett/Zion.. Robinson and Trier stay as they fit in with the roster perfectly.

  25. #200
    RIP BDJ AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    Funny thing is you "don't care" yet you post and this thread proves that people do care. You should cash in your Charlotte Hornets chips, I am sure they are worth something?!??
    I "don't care" if AD stays or if he goes....not about this particular thread.
    I care more about the team then who is on the team, but that's not obvious to bandwagon fans.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •