Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Griffin Recruits

Listening to today's In the N.O. Podcast with Amin Elhassan on it.

Amin spent 6 years working in Phoenix, 4 of which were were Griffin and all of which were with Aaron Nelson. He worked as a scout, a video coordinator, and as a film guy, amongst other things.

He re-emphasises that in Griffs front office, your job title means very little: ''we're not going to waste time on bureaucracy or hierarchy, we're just going to do the work.''

On the attitude of Aaron Nelson: ''Some people rehab you and then boom, you're done, you're back on the court. What the Suns staff do, is they identify all the reasons why you got hurt in the first place. Cause it's never just a freak accident. Or, it's rarely a freak accident. I'll give you a great example: I sprained my ankle during the lock-out, playing pickup ball. Pretty bad sprain, right? And because, during the lock-out we're not allowed to have contact with players, the training staff basically come in and just hang out, not doing anything. So, as soon as I got hurt, they're like ''oh, let's do some work'', and ''let's do something about this'', so they did the whole kit a-, so my ankle was probably the size of a grapefruit. And I'm like, ''I can't walk, I'm on crutches'', whatever, and they got me on the table, and Nelly [Aaron Nelson] was working on, you know, basically the physical therapy, manipulation with his fingers, you know, stuff like that, heat, ice, et cetera, et cetera. Then within two days the swelling had gone down. I was starting to feel like the pain was going away, and so they got me on the corrective exercises and after about a week I feel like I can play ball again. And they're like ''no no no, you're no way near close''. And he gives me this whole set of corrective exercises that have nothing to do with my ankle, or even my leg, my lower leg. It's like my hips, and y'know, it's all this crazy stuff but like he took these measurements and he's like, ''you sprained your ankle, but you didn't sprain your ankle because you stepped wrong. You sprained it because, this part is compensating for this part, and this other muscle is too weak'', and yada yada. So there's all these weird exercises and none of them have weights or if they do, very little weight, but you do it and you're like ''oh my god, it feels like I'm trying to life a Buick'', it's super hard, right? Because that muscle is so underdeveloped. And that's just a first hand experience of a light, minor injury really, but that's their philosophy: how do we get you, biomechanically, right? So that injuries don't happen in the future.''

''We've all read the literature on New Orleans, and how their training staff didn't do the best job. Let's just put it that way. And so when you talk about hiring someone like Aaron Nelson, you're going from what, bottom third in the league? Bottom 5 in the league? In training staff to top 5. That's a massive leap. [...] It's not as sexy as like, signing Kevin Durant, but you're signing the Kevin Durant of trainers. You go from being, you know, one of the worst at this thing, to one of the best. Overnight.''

''It's hard to find someone with a cross word about Griff, or a less than glowing review.''

''Griff is the only person, I think, in NBA history to turn down at least three, if not four, general manager jobs. Right? Four times. So, and, and I know why. They're all different scenarios, but it all came down to the same thing: are you gonna give me control? Are you gonna let me do this my way? Or do you just want someone to do the press releases, and stay in there, but you wanna meddle? So a lot of credit goes to New Orleans ownership for giving him the conditions that he needed to work. Cause this guy is talented, and he is successful, and with a guy like that you give him a cheque with a number on it like ''we don't wanna spend more than this'', and then you get out of the way.''
    Basketball.

I had a weird dream last night in which Griffin was on Seinfeld. What does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    I had a weird dream last night in which Griffin was on Seinfeld. What does it mean?
    he kinda looks like George?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The SKC is going to have a whole lot more funky bass in the music rotation

What about if Griffin shocks us all and recruits a 3rd star like KD or Kyrie to come play with AD and Jrue in Nola?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    What about if Griffin shocks us all and recruits a 3rd star like KD or Kyrie to come play with AD and Jrue in Nola?
    I'd bust through the door like Kramer

Obviously this is just a hypothetical because I don't think this would ever happen.

But if AD decides he wants to stay, and Griff manages to do some skulduggery to give us a max slot this summer, and we get to basically pick between KD, Kyrie, and Kawhi, then I pick Kawhi. Every time.

Why? I think he's the best defender of the three, I think he fills that forward/wing gap we've had for a million years better than the others (I know KD is listed at SF most of the time but he's no way near the flexi-wing that Kawhi is, cause he's 7'0 tall), he can shoot, he's efficient, and he can play with the ball in his hands or off-ball with no issue. He's also the a good fit with ages since he's younger than Durant, and he's had plenty of experience being the successful alpha of a team.

The Franchise
    I'd bust through the door like Kramer
    I think we all would. I’m not sure Kawhi is an alpha but I’d like to see if 3 betas could play together. I do think they all want to be alphas so that’s a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I think we all would. I’m not sure Kawhi is an alpha but I’d like to see if 3 betas could play together. I do think they all want to be alphas so that’s a good thing.
    Kawhi is an alpha. He's not loud about it, but he is.

He had that Spurs team up 20 points on the Durant Warriors with no other all-NBA players on it. Now he's on a team playing against 4 all stars with playoff-Lowry and he's clearly the best, most dominant player on the court. The shot he hit at the end of last game was cold blooded. Then, if you look back a few years ago, the time he turned Harden into a complete non-factor in that late game. The way he, aged 21, put the lock down on prime Lebron in the finals. No fear in him, alpha player.

Kawhi is definitely a quiet alpha and would be my choice as well , but he has no ties to Griffen. Kyrie does have ties to Griffen, and KD is a ring chaser looking for max money. If we dumped the 2 expiring contracts of Hill and Moore for peanuts, and Gayle pays the luxury tax, then we could afford a team with a max 3rd all star. Jrue was an all star this past season in my book.

I think it’s a pipe dream, but of all 3, I think KD would be the most likely to come. We could then re-sign Payton for cheap to ring chase and be our starting PG on his championship caliber home team.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 05-05-2019 at 09:36 PM.

I'd take Leonard also if it were between those 3. Kemba would be nice also.

Pelicans

I think the way Griffin runs his front office is awesome! Obviously there are still titles so I can’t wait to see who he hires as his GM. We are building something special. Great insight from Amin and is what I had talked about when we first signed Nelson what separates trainers is not injury stats but the many other things. Would love to have Amin as part of our organization but probably best to have him on ESPN always backing the Pelicans and talking how we are a 1st class run organization. Usually the opposite is done on ESPN.

If I had to pick one upcoming free agent to go with Jrue and AD it is KD. Kawhi is my 2nd favorite player behind Giannis so very tough call. I would say Kawhi is my 2nd choice and not just in FA this year but in the entire NBA. With KD we add the best scorer in the NBA who is also in discussions as all NBA defense.- our biggest need is a scoring wing who can create for others and play D. Our small ball lineups with KD/AD at PF/C wouldn’t be so small and scary good. He would be a much better fit on our team then he would the Warriors complimenting Jrue/AD so well. We add KD and we are instantly in the discussion as best team in the NBA. Now I feel pretty similar about Kawhi who a few years younger would possibly give us a longer window. He can bring a similar impact as KD in some different ways. If I’m looking at the next 5 years and best compliment it’s KD.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-06-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Of all the stars who will be available, I think Kyrie would be the most likely to sign with the Pelicans if AD agreed to stay. Kyrie doesn’t appear to like heavy media attention so he would do well going back to a smaller market. Also Griffin obviously has a previous relationship with Kyrie. I think KD, Kawhi, or Klay would all be better options, but I surely wouldn’t turn down Kyrie. Whether he signs with the Pelicans or not, I don’t think Kyrie re-signs with Boston.

Of all the stars who will be available, I think Kyrie would be the most likely to sign with the Pelicans if AD agreed to stay. Kyrie doesn’t appear to like heavy media attention so he would do well going back to a smaller market. Also Griffin obviously has a previous relationship with Kyrie. I think KD, Kawhi, or Klay would all be better options, but I surely wouldn’t turn down Kyrie. Whether he signs with the Pelicans or not, I don’t think Kyrie re-signs with Boston.
    I know that some people think this might sound crazy, and I understand why they would think that.

But I don't think I want Kyrie on this team. He's a one way player, and when defenses really lock in during the playoffs hes not even that great at that. I cannot BELIEVE I'm agreeing with Skip Bayless here, but he was right when he said that Kyrie is one of the best closers in basketball today but that ability to close means nothing if you are getting blown out and you're shooting 7 for 22 and 8 for 22 in consecutive games. Kyrie is (I think) 19 for his last 62. That's god awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I know that some people think this might sound crazy, and I understand why they would think that.

But I don't think I want Kyrie on this team. He's a one way player, and when defenses really lock in during the playoffs hes not even that great at that. I cannot BELIEVE I'm agreeing with Skip Bayless here, but he was right when he said that Kyrie is one of the best closers in basketball today but that ability to close means nothing if you are getting blown out and you're shooting 7 for 22 and 8 for 22 in consecutive games. Kyrie is (I think) 19 for his last 62. That's god awful.
    Kyrie is having a bad series against a great team who is exposing Boston’s overall roster mediocrity. So we are supposed to forget how great he was in the clutch with Cleveland and how he is an all star caliber player?

Kyrie is having a bad series against a great team who is exposing Boston’s overall roster mediocrity. So we are supposed to forget how great he was in the clutch with Cleveland and how he is an all star caliber player?
    Kyrie has made 1 all NBA third team in his career. That's it. This is not a player even on the same planet as Kawhi, KD, or similar. If KD had an awful series against a great team, you understand that and chalk it up to match ups. When Kyrie has an awful series against a good team, what are you supposed to fall back on? His Indiana series? Where he had ONE good game (game 2) but otherwise shot 5 for 16 from three (31%) and 17 for 49 from the floor (that's 34.6%) against a team that had NO Oladipo?

Then last year, we can't say what he would have done because he didn't play.

So yeah, when you're talking about Kyrie and how awful he has been recently, you can't fall back on this series, or last series, or his resume and achievements to make excuses for him. You have to go back three whole years to when he was playing side-man to Lebron James in order to find something that explains his hype. How long are we supposed to pretend that Kyrie Irving is some top tier superstar while he continues to disappoint? Is he going to be 30 years old, bombing out in the second round and having 7 for 25 games on the regular before we stop having people bring up the 2016 finals?

Kyrie has one major skill: he can score. When he's not scoring, what is he doing? He doesn't play D, he's not a great passer, he isn't a hustle player. And he's not a leader, he's made that abundantly clear, and he's a toxic personality in the locker room. Forced his way out of Cleveland because of his ego, told Ty Lue that it wasn't his job to get other players involved in the offense, went to Boston, underwhelmed there before getting injured. Then the Boston young guys did really well without him, he came back and took that in his feelings and has spent the whole season burning bridges and taking shots at those young players. Toxic, petty, inconsistent, spiteful, and - how can we forget - a grade A moron with one skill that he can't do consistently.

No thanks.

Kyrie has made 1 all NBA third team in his career. That's it. This is not a player even on the same planet as Kawhi, KD, or similar. If KD had an awful series against a great team, you understand that and chalk it up to match ups. When Kyrie has an awful series against a good team, what are you supposed to fall back on? His Indiana series? Where he had ONE good game (game 2) but otherwise shot 5 for 16 from three (31%) and 17 for 49 from the floor (that's 34.6%) against a team that had NO Oladipo?

Then last year, we can't say what he would have done because he didn't play.

So yeah, when you're talking about Kyrie and how awful he has been recently, you can't fall back on this series, or last series, or his resume and achievements to make excuses for him. You have to go back three whole years to when he was playing side-man to Lebron James in order to find something that explains his hype. How long are we supposed to pretend that Kyrie Irving is some top tier superstar while he continues to disappoint? Is he going to be 30 years old, bombing out in the second round and having 7 for 25 games on the regular before we stop having people bring up the 2016 finals?

Kyrie has one major skill: he can score. When he's not scoring, what is he doing? He doesn't play D, he's not a great passer, he isn't a hustle player. And he's not a leader, he's made that abundantly clear, and he's a toxic personality in the locker room. Forced his way out of Cleveland because of his ego, told Ty Lue that it wasn't his job to get other players involved in the offense, went to Boston, underwhelmed there before getting injured. Then the Boston young guys did really well without him, he came back and took that in his feelings and has spent the whole season burning bridges and taking shots at those young players. Toxic, petty, inconsistent, spiteful, and - how can we forget - a grade A moron with one skill that he can't do consistently.

No thanks.
    So are you saying you would take draft picks and maybe Tatum over AD and Kyrie?

So are you saying you would take draft picks and maybe Tatum over AD and Kyrie?
    Where did I say that?

I'm saying that if AD wants to stay, and we go into free agency looking to add to the team, then I would not want to sign Kyrie Irving. There are plenty of other names I would prefer instead.

If we are looking at max money type players, I'd prefer KD or Kawhi. Kemba can't defend either, but he adds a lot of what Kyrie adds on offense without any of the drama. He's not as versatile as I'd like for the money, but if you're desperate to fill the forward gap we've had forever, we could make a run at Klay Thompson too.

If we aren't looking at max money players, and we're looking to just add around the team, then I'm looking at Malcolm Brogdon, Bojan Bogdanovic, maybe bring Mirotic back, maybe look at Harrison Barnes depending on his price tag. All of those players would be way cheaper than Kyrie and provide good play without any of the drama. Barnes and Bogdanovic would also fill a hole we've had at SF forever, if KD or Kawhi can't be enticed over.

All of those players are free agents this summer as well as Kyrie, and none of them bring the same toxicity that he does. Several of them are better players straight up (KD, Kawhi) and several of them are arguably better for the holes in our particular team (Klay, for example).

Where did I say that?

I'm saying that if AD wants to stay, and we go into free agency looking to add to the team, then I would not want to sign Kyrie Irving. There are plenty of other names I would prefer instead.

If we are looking at max money type players, I'd prefer KD or Kawhi. Kemba can't defend either, but he adds a lot of what Kyrie adds on offense without any of the drama. He's not as versatile as I'd like for the money, but if you're desperate to fill the forward gap we've had forever, we could make a run at Klay Thompson too.

If we aren't looking at max money players, and we're looking to just add around the team, then I'm looking at Malcolm Brogdon, Bojan Bogdanovic, maybe bring Mirotic back, maybe look at Harrison Barnes depending on his price tag. All of those players would be way cheaper than Kyrie and provide good play without any of the drama. Barnes and Bogdanovic would also fill a hole we've had at SF forever, if KD or Kawhi can't be enticed over.

All of those players are free agents this summer as well as Kyrie, and none of them bring the same toxicity that he does. Several of them are better players straight up (KD, Kawhi) and several of them are arguably better for the holes in our particular team (Klay, for example).
    I agree that I’d take Klay, KD, and Kawhi over Kyrie, but I don’t see any of those 3 players joining the Pelicans. Kawhi is likely going to the Clippers or staying in Toronto. Klay will be a Warrior if KD doesn’t re-sign. KD wants to build his “brand” just like Lebron, so he will look for a big market. Kemba is pretty much the same player as Kyrie without the drama (I agree). I think Kyrie would be the only real max player option if AD stays, and I think it would take another max player signing for AD to stay. So, I would take AD and Kyrie over Tatum and some first round draft picks any day.

I agree that I’d take Klay, KD, and Kawhi over Kyrie, but I don’t see any of those 3 players joining the Pelicans. Kawhi is likely going to the Clippers or staying in Toronto. Klay will be a Warrior if KD doesn’t re-sign. KD wants to build his “brand” just like Lebron, so he will look for a big market. Kemba is pretty much the same player as Kyrie without the drama (I agree). I think Kyrie would be the only real max player option if AD stays, and I think it would take another max player signing for AD to stay. So, I would take AD and Kyrie over Tatum and some first round draft picks any day.
    I see it as a kind of none-option anyway because I don't think we'll be signing anyone to max contracts this summer in the event of AD staying. I don't think he's staying at all, and even if he did, it would likely be him giving the team a year to work something out (maybe a trade of the kind that got us Jrue, for example) before making a final decision, whcih I don't like because it risks him walking away for nothing and costing us assets.

But in the highly unlikely world that AD stays, and commits longer term, and Griff can open up max money, and we're on the market for max players, I think we're pretty much as likely as 27 or so teams in the league to net KD. He's not going to LA with Lebron there, he's not going to LAC, and he's not going to NY unless NY can show signs of being serious about contending (like signing Kyrie or trading for AD, or both). In that event, I don't see why KD, or indeed Kawhi, wouldn't be open to at least giving a meeting, and Griff is good at his job: he's a player-person.

I think Kemba will be on the market. He's committed to Charlotte time and again, but they've continually failed to give him anything and I doubt that they're going to cough up huge money for a 6'0 scorer who hasn't shown any signs of being able to take them to the playoffs in the East.

Between AD, Kyrie, and KD, who is the Alpha?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Between AD, Kyrie, and KD, who is the Alpha?
    Jrue Holiday.

I’m curious to see if Griffin, and possibly Anthony Davis, can convince Klay Thompson to sign with the Pels

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    I’m curious to see if Griffin, and possibly Anthony Davis, can convince Klay Thompson to sign with the Pels
    I don't see it happening personally. I think if Klay leaves Golden State, it will be to go somewhere that he can try and be the best player and win on his own a little: he's got three rings, he doesn't NEED to ring-chase anymore. If he's willing to take a backseat to AD and Jrue and be the third rung on a team, I don't see why he wouldn't just stay in GS and play second best to Curry in a city that already loves him and for a franchise that he's getting his jersey retired for.

That said, if it could be done, I'd like to see it. Obviously if I get the choice to pick between KD, Kawhi, and Klay, then Klay comes last, but chances are that we won't get those other guys. If we can get Klay, he's 6'7 and can guard the forward position easily, and he can shoot lights out. He is the definition of a 3 and D wing, and he doesn't need many touches to get going either. He would fill a hole we've had for a long time, and he would fill it very well.

From what I understand, Klay is a big west coast guy. If he ever left the Warriors, I would bet he would go to the Clippers or Lakers.

Thread Information