Pelicans Report

Thread: If AD Stays... ?

If AD Stays... ?

We've all heard David Griffin, both in his introductory press conference and in his appearance on The Jump, detail his desire to keep Anthony Davis on this team. Some of what he has said might well be lip service, but I'm pretty sure that Griffin at least wants to give it a shot before committing entirely to the trade. From the perspective of an outsider, ignoring everything that has happened with AD as a person for the last few months and looking purely at the numbers, this is obviously a good move. AD is, on his best day, the best player in basketball.

But he's one of the worst in terms of controlling his public image, and the last few months have been atrocious for that. He has been petty. He has been spiteful. He has been rude. He has been inconsiderate. He has insulted the team, quit on his teammates, and told the city that he would rather be anywhere else.

So if Griffin does manage to convince AD to be all in and sign that supermax extension, locking him into New Orleans for the next several years (in terms of contract at least, long term he could still be traded) and suffocating our cap-sheet, what is it that you would need to see from AD for him to be forgiven for everything he's done to the team and its fanbase?

For me, I'd want a public apology to the team for all of the stress he has put everyone through. I'd also like an apology to the fans, but I can't see that one happening. Then, I'd need an MVP season. His best year yet. Absolutely putting it all on the floor on both ends. We saw at the end of our playoff run in 2018 that AD can be a demon on both ends when fully engaged: I need that from him, to prove he's really dedicated to making this team win and progress. And I would need it for 65+ games, not a dozen games in March. I'm talking 30/14, leading the league in blocks, DPOY candidate. If he does those things: sign the supermax, apologise, and prove that he means it with his play, then as much as I would hate it, I think I'd be forced to start forgiving him.

What about you guys? What would you need for him to show you, and what would you want for him to say?

Edit: and yes, I will be more than a little disappointed if, after being told there was going to be a clean sweep, fresh start for the franchise, we start next season with the same team made of the same players, with the same coach, and the same coaching staff.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 04-26-2019 at 06:04 AM.
    Basketball.

I wouldn't mind a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by bustah View Post
    I wouldn't mind a Ferrari.

He can keep his damn apology. I don't need it. Just deliver a championship.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Play 75+ games, win a playoff series, and win at least 3 games in the 2nd round. I’m not greedy.

For me i just want to know that his actions were based on bad advice from his agent and Lebron. If he did those things based on his own feelings then i don’t want him here. Basically, i just want him to admit he’s just a youngin that took bad advice. If that’s what really happened and he admits it, then i think it’s salvageable. I don’t even need an apology....just own it. I would be even more willing to accept him back if he fired his agent at the same time or at least tries to recruit Lebron. Do something to show you’re all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The funny thing, is that if AD stays, there is a real possibility we see a repeat of the Jrue Holiday trade that Dell made and trade pick(s) for a young vet.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I think AD is gone. ZION is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

I also think AD is gone. The thread is a hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

I hope so! I think if the Knicks get Zion they trade for AD and are the immediate favorites to sign Durant. Durant then gets his team as the Batman with AD as his Robin. IMO that duo would be deadly and perfect compliments for each other as they would finally enter that discussion as real contenders. If the Suns get Zion I think they would be stupid not to go get AD as well. You put AD next to Ayton and you have a Duncan/Robinson duo that can be the best in the NBA for the next decade. With a guard like Booker and that team could do some damage. Isn’t like they would be going away from the youth movement as AD is just entering the prime of his career and would instantly vault them into one of the top team discussions. I definitely could see their GM James Jones jumping all over this and I bet he is praying he gets that chance. I believe even if they don’t get the 1st pick they are someone to look our for possibly moving Ayton and their pick. Same possibility with the Knicks. You can throw the Bulls in their as well that along with their draft pick and talent might be the best trade partner or anyone for AD. All 3 scenarios we would have the picking of their best young players/players along with their pick/picks giving us the chance at RJ or Za as a worse case scenario and Zion best case if they land the 1st pick. That is 3 of the top 4 lottery teams that would be very comfortable with AD signing an extension. The Knicks he lands himself in the biggest market with another superstar with a 99% chance at an extension. The Suns he joins a prototype Center who was just the #1 pick and will guarantee him not to be needed at Center ever except when running spot minutes in a small ball lineup. Joins a former Kentucky alumni and good friend. Also happens to have 2 of the best compliments to ADs game as one of the best playmaking and scoring SGs in the NBA very similar to Harden where Booker can emerge as the clear #2 behind him next season. This provides AD with the 2 most important skill sets that compliment his game the best. On top of all that the Suns are a very attractive destination for NBA players on the West Coast. James Jones is a GM players will love to play for and will soon have a new HC that will I’m sure get the approval of Booker along with Jones who fully understand what personality needed for these guys.
    really like the chances of us landing Zion more and more.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 04-29-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Guardian do you think we can finally get Barnes ? Maybe when that contract runs out?

Thread Information