Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Over/Under Wednesday 12pm For Gentry Announcement

Over/Under Wednesday 12pm For Gentry Announcement

Because it can't happen any sooner I guess. After the game is wishful thinking. Also, AD is a DB wearing that crap.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Because it can't happen any sooner I guess. After the game is wishful thinking. Also, AD is a DB wearing that crap.
    Please, please, please, please, please...… Looks like they wrapped up GM interviews today. Everything could come together rather quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    Please, please, please, please, please...… Looks like they wrapped up GM interviews today. Everything could come together rather quick.
    Saw a tweet earlier today, though I can't remember where from, that said we shouldn't expect a new GM announcement this week. I don't see a coaching change happening before the GM change, for obvious reasons, so I'm saying we don't hear anything about HC until the middle of next week.

That said, I'm going to make this argument: I think they keep Gentry. I don't want him to stay, I want him gone, but I don't have any faith in this franchise at the moment and if the buzz around Ferry turns out to be legit, I think Ferry keeps Gentry. Which is sad.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    So you are thinking...Gentry tomorrow...GM Wednesday...Becky Hammon in a week or so

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Saw a tweet earlier today, though I can't remember where from, that said we shouldn't expect a new GM announcement this week. I don't see a coaching change happening before the GM change, for obvious reasons, so I'm saying we don't hear anything about HC until the middle of next week.

That said, I'm going to make this argument: I think they keep Gentry. I don't want him to stay, I want him gone, but I don't have any faith in this franchise at the moment and if the buzz around Ferry turns out to be legit, I think Ferry keeps Gentry. Which is sad.
    the debacle loss versus the Suns is inexcusable. That sealed his fate. The front office will not be able to sell one more season/half season/weekend special/Guys Night Out/Bobblehead Night ticket with him at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    the debacle loss versus the Suns is inexcusable. That sealed his fate. The front office will not be able to sell one more season/half season/weekend special/Guys Night Out/Bobblehead Night ticket with him at the helm.
    Honestly, I'm not sure how true that is. Sure, among die-hard fans who actually follow lottery odds, it's inexcusable. But take a look on a Pelicans instagram page, or Pels fanpage on Facebook, and look at how the average fans view things. They see things like Gentry does: immediately, without long term consideration. They LIKE when we win, even if in the long term, it's bad.

If the team makes Ferry GM, they keep Gentry as HC. That's what I think will happen. I have zero sources on this, it's just my prediction.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Honestly, I'm not sure how true that is. Sure, among die-hard fans who actually follow lottery odds, it's inexcusable. But take a look on a Pelicans instagram page, or Pels fanpage on Facebook, and look at how the average fans view things. They see things like Gentry does: immediately, without long term consideration. They LIKE when we win, even if in the long term, it's bad.

If the team makes Ferry GM, they keep Gentry as HC. That's what I think will happen. I have zero sources on this, it's just my prediction.
    Go to bed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Go to bed!
    Never, my final dissertation is due on Friday. I can't sleep right now.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Gentry prob gets fired, wouldn't mind him staying with the team in a front office role.

I actually wouldn't mind hiring Chris Finch. He's highly sought after from other teams, and it'd be nice for him to coach the team. He'd stick around and help develop Jah and Wood even more.

I'm going with over. Because I think we will hire a GM before we fire Gentry.

He thinks he is returning

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post

Interesting that last comment was directed towards Fletcher. I can't see how possibly he returns. This isn't like Monty's deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post

I never thought he was getting fired. Randall and Payton are getting payed and we just have to hope they take another step in their careers. Elf needs to perfect his 3 ball (as does Randall) and Julius needs to up his defense. Despite my stance on Gentry, I don’t think we are that screwed. We luck out in the draft and make the right trade- we’ll be pretty decent. For better or worse

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I never thought he was getting fired. Randall and Payton are getting payed and we just have to hope they take another step in their careers. Elf needs to perfect his 3 ball (as does Randall) and Julius needs to up his defense. Despite my stance on Gentry, I don’t think we are that screwed. We luck out in the draft and make the right trade- we’ll be pretty decent. For better or worse
    There is no worse outcome, for me, than signing Ferry as GM, keeping Gentry as HC, paying Randle and Payton big money, and just running things back with a rookie. I would be absolutely in a state of despair with this franchise.

Not necessarily even because I think that team is total trash or anything, although I think it certainly does have its flaws. No. The reason I'd be in despair is this: it would tell us that the ownership straight up lied to us as fans. They told us there would be serious changes, that the structure of the franchise would differ, that they were looking to give the Pels as much attention and support as they give the Saints, etc etc. If that translates into hiring the guy we already have, retaining the coach we already have, and resigning the same players we already have, then what that tells me is that it was all lip service, and that the ownership and upper management really don't care any more than they did last season.

I don't even disagree that we may be decent next season in that case. But we've had decent seasons with Gentry before. We made the playoffs last year: 6th seed, second round, looked pretty good against the eventual champs in Golden State. Probably should have won a game. Maybe even two, if the free throws were more even.

Look at where we are now. Gentry may be a capable coach, but he's so fragile. What I mean by that is simple: he can coach, if eeeeeverything is juuuuuust right. If you have the exact right lineups, with the exact right basketball styles, running with permanent 100% focus, then you can get pretty good results. But one injury, or a night where one player is off, or a player gets signed that isn't quite what they expected, and Gentry collapses. Just folds like a wet cardboard box. We saw that last season compared with this: last season, Jrue was healthy and a star, after Cousins went down AD locked in and played at his top tier level, Niko was on point everywhere, Emeka just came in and slotted right into position to soak up minutes, Moore was having 30 point games, and so we won and won and won.

This season, we have Payton get injured, and immediately lose multiple games in a row despite the rest of the team still being healthy. Then more people get injured, and Gentry starts coaching like an imbecile. Then people get healthy again and he keeps tweaking the lineups. His rotations weren't good all season, even when everyone was there. Then we try to start tanking, and he can't even do that right, as he piles minutes on minutes on to our starters and actively supports short-term benefit moves (Laker's trade) over the future of the franchise.

Combine that coach, who I have absolutely no faith in to be consistently good, and who is not a player development coach whatsoever, with new rookies who will be somewhat unknown as NBA caliber players, and then pay big contracts ($16m per for 3 years, for example) to people like Julius, and I'm convinced this franchise wants to alienate its fans. Those moves tell me that they don't care. Don't promise us change and then serve us back the same crap re-heated.

There is no worse outcome, for me, than signing Ferry as GM, keeping Gentry as HC, paying Randle and Payton big money, and just running things back with a rookie. I would be absolutely in a state of despair with this franchise.

Not necessarily even because I think that team is total trash or anything, although I think it certainly does have its flaws. No. The reason I'd be in despair is this: it would tell us that the ownership straight up lied to us as fans. They told us there would be serious changes, that the structure of the franchise would differ, that they were looking to give the Pels as much attention and support as they give the Saints, etc etc. If that translates into hiring the guy we already have, retaining the coach we already have, and resigning the same players we already have, then what that tells me is that it was all lip service, and that the ownership and upper management really don't care any more than they did last season.

I don't even disagree that we may be decent next season in that case. But we've had decent seasons with Gentry before. We made the playoffs last year: 6th seed, second round, looked pretty good against the eventual champs in Golden State. Probably should have won a game. Maybe even two, if the free throws were more even.

Look at where we are now. Gentry may be a capable coach, but he's so fragile. What I mean by that is simple: he can coach, if eeeeeverything is juuuuuust right. If you have the exact right lineups, with the exact right basketball styles, running with permanent 100% focus, then you can get pretty good results. But one injury, or a night where one player is off, or a player gets signed that isn't quite what they expected, and Gentry collapses. Just folds like a wet cardboard box. We saw that last season compared with this: last season, Jrue was healthy and a star, after Cousins went down AD locked in and played at his top tier level, Niko was on point everywhere, Emeka just came in and slotted right into position to soak up minutes, Moore was having 30 point games, and so we won and won and won.

This season, we have Payton get injured, and immediately lose multiple games in a row despite the rest of the team still being healthy. Then more people get injured, and Gentry starts coaching like an imbecile. Then people get healthy again and he keeps tweaking the lineups. His rotations weren't good all season, even when everyone was there. Then we try to start tanking, and he can't even do that right, as he piles minutes on minutes on to our starters and actively supports short-term benefit moves (Laker's trade) over the future of the franchise.

Combine that coach, who I have absolutely no faith in to be consistently good, and who is not a player development coach whatsoever, with new rookies who will be somewhat unknown as NBA caliber players, and then pay big contracts ($16m per for 3 years, for example) to people like Julius, and I'm convinced this franchise wants to alienate its fans. Those moves tell me that they don't care. Don't promise us change and then serve us back the same crap re-heated.
    Agreed. I have no faith in them to do the right thing. I’ve accepted it for what it is- a business decision. They want to win now so they can fill seats and advertise the team. It probably won’t work in the long run (unless we luck out in the draft BIG time with a steal or Zion).

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Agreed. I have no faith in them to do the right thing. I’ve accepted it for what it is- a business decision. They want to win now so they can fill seats and advertise the team. It probably won’t work in the long run (unless we luck out in the draft BIG time with a steal or Zion).
    I don't think you're wrong by the way, I've said it a bunch of times that I think they'll just hire Ferry, keep Gentry, etc. It's just depressing. I wish they'd release who the new GM is now so that I can either be relieved, or have the band-aid ripped off.

If the team turns around and does the exact same thing after just going through this AD situation, I'm probably out.

Nothing would scream incompetence more than hiring Ferry, keeping Gentry, and giving big money contracts to Randle and Elf. It'd make all the complaints about this organization that they have so strongly denied, true.

David Griffin could be off the market soon if Lebron has his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If the team turns around and does the exact same thing after just going through this AD situation, I'm probably out.

Nothing would scream incompetence more than hiring Ferry, keeping Gentry, and giving big money contracts to Randle and Elf. It'd make all the complaints about this organization that they have so strongly denied, true.
    I'm not sure I'd be out, but my willingness to watch all 82 games next year would be dented, no doubt.

They have to realise it's time to do something new, right? Like, you can't just lose a top 5 player so dramatically and try to keep things the same. Even KD didn't leave OKC this dramatically.

The biggest indictment to me is as Pelicandae said- we allowed the team to fall apart after the injury to Payton- a role player. I have heard the “injury blues” “bad luck” schtick for years, but for God’s sake you have to make your own luck. He couldn’t make the adjustments and his shortcomings as a coach were on display for the league to see. I came across as a broken record I’m sure, but he hadn’t impressed since he has been here, and last season was about as tight knit as you could get- we very easily could have fallen to 8th seed with the snap of a finger. Just not good enough and an indictment of the franchise as well. Poorly run and will probably continue to be poorly run

Sounds like it's either Ferry or Griffin. I'd wager that if we don't offer Griffin the big money ASAP, he may well just go to LA. Which leaves us with Ferry.

*Sigh*

If they want Griffin they better hire him now.

As for Gentry I understand people wanting him fired just to get him a fresh start, but its not like he had the most talent to work with his entire tenure here. As much of a talent AD is he couldn't do it alone. Jrue was a solid "Robin" to AD's "Batman" but we just never had the role players nor the bench to really be a threat. Years of terrible contracts and a roster full of D-Leaguers... Gentry did what he could do with what he had.

But it just might be time for a new face.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    If they want Griffin they better hire him now.

As for Gentry I understand people wanting him fired just to get him a fresh start, but its not like he had the most talent to work with his entire tenure here. As much of a talent AD is he couldn't do it alone. Jrue was a solid "Robin" to AD's "Batman" but we just never had the role players nor the bench to really be a threat. Years of terrible contracts and a roster full of D-Leaguers... Gentry did what he could do with what he had.

But it just might be time for a new face.
    May be perfect scenario for Pelicans' management. If the Lakers swoop in and hire Griffin, they can use the excuse that they wanted an experienced person and therefore had to hire Ferry. It gives them an "out."

Danny Ferry might not be as bad as it sounds. Seems like he is good at finding diamonds in the rough.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I still don't mind Ferry. Why are people so positive that if it is Ferry that Gentry is definitely staying? Gentry was hired before Ferry came to NOLA.

Thread Information