Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: For Tankers viewing pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Shamit Dua, one of the few voices worth trusting on Pelicans issues, said on an episode of In the NO back in February that there was one voice in the FO pushing the accept the Lakers trade, and that voice was Gentry. According to Shamit, Gentry wanted the drama over and believes that Lonzo Ball would thrive under his system.

Therefore, if Gentry had executive power over trades, it's not absurd at all the believe he would have made the trade that he was (according to one of the best Pels guys) very strongly in favour of.
    A coach wanting to coach the rest of the season with more depth and without the drama of an all-star sitting on the bench. Not exactly a shocking take at the time.

"Get him out of here so I can coach, I'll make the most out of whatever you get in return" sounds a lot less absurd than "I want you to leave me short handed with a media circus for the next few months so I can tank the season for you to get a higher draft pick and hopefully not get fired"

You've extrapolated an opinion stated as fact based on information out of context from a (lone) good source. That isn't proof.

His role then was to win the next game. It's not absurd to say he could have, but it is absurd to say he would have. It's also not absurd to say he may not have made the trade and had a totally different opinion as POBO or GM,because the metrics of success and duties are totally different.

We will see soon enough. This season has sucked. I'm just ready to have some decisions made to start moving forward finally. Tired of being in this limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    A coach wanting to coach the rest of the season with more depth and without the drama of an all-star sitting on the bench. Not exactly a shocking take at the time.

"Get him out of here so I can coach, I'll make the most out of whatever you get in return" sounds a lot less absurd than "I want you to leave me short handed with a media circus for the next few months so I can tank the season for you to get a higher draft pick and hopefully not get fired"

You've extrapolated an opinion stated as fact based on information out of context from a (lone) good source. That isn't proof.

His role then was to win the next game. It's not absurd to say he could have, but it is absurd to say he would have. It's also not absurd to say he may not have made the trade and had a totally different opinion as POBO or GM,because the metrics of success and duties are totally different.

We will see soon enough. This season has sucked. I'm just ready to have some decisions made to start moving forward finally. Tired of being in this limbo.
    Sorry to hit you with the heavy facts here, but none of us have any proof for almost anything regarding basketball operations. If we all spoke only things for which we had 100% undisputable evidence, not only would the entire conversation be not worth having, but the board would get about 3 posts a month on it. It's not like the Front Office puts out a monthly report including minutes for their meetings, is it?

''Get him out of here so I can coach, I'll make the most out of whatever you get'' only sounds less absurd than ''let me tank the rest of the season for a higher draft pick'' if the intention of the coach is solely self-serving. If the coach is of the opinion that they're definitely getting fired and they're only concerned with beefing up their resume before they hit the market again, then sure, it makes sense. If you're a coach who has the interests of the team in mind, however, then it makes absolutely no sense at all and is the kind of sentiment that would make you get fired in the first place.

Tell me what context it makes sense in. It's the number 1 dodge-all argument: don't have a reply? Just claim it's out of context. Doesn't matter what the context was (in this case, it was the discussion over the position of the FO regarding the passing of the trade dead-line), but as long as you claim it's out of context you can get away without having to actually address the point.

We have limited information, as fans of basketball teams. We do not get access to much, and whatever we do get access to is almost always second hand. Based upon this second hand, limited information, we are forced to make judgements. We are, I think, all aware that these judgements may be incorrect due to those factors. But based upon the information we had, it's not at all silly, or even massively contentious, to think that if Gentry (a man who has done his best at times to ruin the tank) had control over trades, he would have made the trade that he was actively batting for prior to the deadline.

One thing we agree on, can't wait until this season is over. Can't wait until we find out who is going to actually be the GM moving forward, can't wait until we find out whether Gentry is getting fired or not, can't wait until the lottery, etc etc.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 04-09-2019 at 06:37 PM.
    Basketball.

Hope the entire freakin coaching staff is fired before I wake up in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Did Memphis actually blow a 22 point lead to lose...

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Yes. And I hate them.

It's so weird because Memphis should be wanting to get rid of the pick this year.

Don't worry though guys. I've heard it on good authority that karma will get back at Memphis for this.

Wait, we want to not only promote Gentry to POBO despite no evidence whatsoever of any qualifications for that role, we also want to plan for one of our assistant coaches to ultimately replace him? Coaching and front office are two different roles and require different skill sets, assistant coach to POBO is not at all a normal career path.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Pity is not a valid reason to give someone such a position. Neither is nepotism.

Looking squarely at Avery Johnson...

Their tank game is magnificent.

Memphis is definitely not tanking. They want the pick to be conveyed this year. They're trying to win every game, but with Conley and Valanciunas out they're just a bad team.

Quote Originally Posted by Gant- View Post
    Memphis is definitely not tanking. They want the pick to be conveyed this year. They're trying to win every game, but with Conley and Valanciunas out they're just a bad team.
    You would think that was the case, but last night's total "collapse" almost seems to indicate otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    You would think that was the case, but last night's total "collapse" almost seems to indicate otherwise.
    Griz' GM Wallace openly stated a while ago that they wanted to win and convey the pick this year. Every report since then has said the same thing. Here's the quote from an article after the Gasol trade:

"While the team has fallen out of playoff contention, Wallace said the objective is for the Grizzlies to win enough games to avoid having a top-eight selection in this summer's NBA draft.

Finishing ahead of eight other teams would position the Grizzlies to convey a first-round pick to Boston that they owe the Celtics at some point in the next three seasons.

The pick is top-six protected in 2020 and unprotected in 2021.

"We’d like to convey this pick to Boston this year and get that in our rearview mirror and then move forward with a clean slate of picks," Wallace said."

"Wallace also suggested that it will be easier for the franchise to negotiate trades this summer with its future first-round picks on the table. With the uncertainty of if it will convey a first-round pick to Boston in 2018, 2019 or 2020, the Grizzlies have been unable to use first-round picks in those years as bartering chips."

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...de/2816014002/

How in the world did Washington end up with the 6th seed... The only team that can even tie them at this point is Memphis, who I have to imagine is going to go all out to win tonight but they're playing the Warriors so odds are they don't convey the pick.

Sorry to hit you with the heavy facts here, but none of us have any proof for almost anything regarding basketball operations. If we all spoke only things for which we had 100% undisputable evidence, not only would the entire conversation be not worth having, but the board would get about 3 posts a month on it. It's not like the Front Office puts out a monthly report including minutes for their meetings, is it?
    Again, you make sideways arguments. I'm not arguing a humans right to make assumptions, conjecture, hyperbole, or b.s. on a basketball forum on the internet.

Could vs. Would was my only point. You said he would based on a narrative around a report without a direct quotation or statement. I disagree with you that he would based on the fact the context of the situation would be completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Wait, we want to not only promote Gentry to POBO despite no evidence whatsoever of any qualifications for that role, we also want to plan for one of our assistant coaches to ultimately replace him? Coaching and front office are two different roles and require different skill sets, assistant coach to POBO is not at all a normal career path.
    I said an assistant GM we have already interviewed could be given an assistants job here, for more money, with the intention to soon take over the GM position. Ferry could move to POBO when Gentry retires (65 this year). Rosas or Langdon become GM Finch only moves from assistant coach to head coach. I agree assistant coach to POBO would be very abnormal, but that is not the scenario I purposed. EDIT: yes it is, I misspoke I meant Ferry but did type Finch.

Separately, coaching and front office duties are compatible and mixed all the time. Doc Rivers or Thibs for example. Also the POBO role can be whatever ownership wants it to be. Executive positions are not set in stone.
    Last edited by SmontySwilliams; 04-10-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Separately, coaching and front office duties are compatable and mixed all the time. Doc Rivers or Thibs for example. Also the POBO role can be whatever ownership wants it to be. Executive positions are not set in stone.
    Not even disagreeing with what you previously said, about Ferry moving to POBO when Gentry retired or whatever.

But using Doc Rivers or Thibs as an example for something is a GREAT way of making your argument sound awful, because both Thibs and Rivers are not great.

But using Doc Rivers or Thibs as an example for something is a GREAT way of making your argument sound awful, because both Thibs and Rivers are not great.
    I agree, that's not a model for success with Thibs for sure. Doc, you can make an argument either way. Point being it happens.

I'm sorry for sounding like a pissy teenager all the time. I'm so sick of this season.

Honestly don't care what happens anymore because anything happening is moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Gant- View Post
    Griz' GM Wallace openly stated a while ago that they wanted to win and convey the pick this year. Every report since then has said the same thing. Here's the quote from an article after the Gasol trade:

"While the team has fallen out of playoff contention, Wallace said the objective is for the Grizzlies to win enough games to avoid having a top-eight selection in this summer's NBA draft.

Finishing ahead of eight other teams would position the Grizzlies to convey a first-round pick to Boston that they owe the Celtics at some point in the next three seasons.

The pick is top-six protected in 2020 and unprotected in 2021.

"We’d like to convey this pick to Boston this year and get that in our rearview mirror and then move forward with a clean slate of picks," Wallace said."

"Wallace also suggested that it will be easier for the franchise to negotiate trades this summer with its future first-round picks on the table. With the uncertainty of if it will convey a first-round pick to Boston in 2018, 2019 or 2020, the Grizzlies have been unable to use first-round picks in those years as bartering chips."

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...de/2816014002/
    If that is his real plan, he and his team were a complete failure last night blowing a 2nd half 22 point lead.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    If that is his real plan, he and his team were a complete failure last night blowing a 2nd half 22 point lead.
    As a Celtics fan, I can clearly say that "Chris Wallace" and "failure" often go together. He was the worst Celtics' GM of all time.

If that pick ends up being valuable to the Celtics in use or in a trade, it will be a bit of karmic payback.
    Last edited by Gant-; 04-10-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Memphis has. 86 YES 86. Points at half !

Of course they do. At this point I hope they lose because we are staring at seed 7-9 anyway and not conveying their pick would be better value for us at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Of course they do. At this point I hope they lose because we are staring at seed 7-9 anyway and not conveying their pick would be better value for us at this point.
    6 one way, half a dozen the other. It allows us to fight for 7 spot instead of 8.
    Last edited by Tinman; 04-10-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    6 one way, half a dozen the other. It allows us to fight for 7 spot instead of 8.
    Right. But there is more value in the pick not conveying at this point. Really Memphis is stupid for pushing it to the exact last game of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Right. But there is more value in the pick not conveying at this point. Really Memphis is stupid for pushing it to the exact last game of the season.
    My take is a bit different. Yes, the 2021 pick is worth a good bit more. BUT, I am NOT assuming the Danny "Fleece" Ainge will include that pick . He will however more than likely give us the 9th pick.

It has not been a good night for Boston's hopes of that pick rolling into the future. According to Ryan Bernardoni, who is brilliant at this sort of thing, the results from tonight mean the Memphis pick has a 44% chance of conveying to Boston this year. That was the worst case scenario going into the evening.

That 44% will change based on the random drawing to break ties:

Last edited by Gant-; 04-10-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    My take is a bit different. Yes, the 2021 pick is worth a good bit more. BUT, I am NOT assuming the Danny "Fleece" Ainge will include that pick . He will however more than likely give us the 9th pick.
    I mean that's just a difference of opinion. I think Memphis conveying the pick this year would mean Ainge would have to include another asset that he would not have to otherwise.

Thread Information