Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zion to be Rich Paul’s next client?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    No, it's not. I hope the point that I'm capable of making, and that you all are open to understanding, is that if you have a life learned experience of being confronted with racism, it informs how you view every instance. I hope that you all are open to approaching this idea that people "play with the race card" with some degree of empathy that you might not understand or agree with his perspective, but the reason for it isn't something that he's imagining. I'd accept a shoulder shrug and acknowledgement that it doesn't resonate with you, but it's insulting when the response is instead apoplectic or just outright dismissive.

My expectation isn't that a bball message board is the place to solve this, but I'm going to always be me so I've made my attempt and now moving on...
    You act as if I don't understand what you are trying to say, or that I have not lived the same or similar experiences as what you claim gives Lebron the right to shrug off criticism simply by labeling it as racially motived.

That's the problem, you know nothing about me or even my skincolor, but you have to judge me as worthy or not before you will listen to what I'm saying.

History does not give you a free pass to dismiss criticism. Who would even want to live like that? The best is to listen to all criticism and instead of trying to make an excuse as to why and ignore it, try and find the kernal of truth that would cause someone to give you that criticism to begin with.

In this situation Lebron threw out race as simply a means of dismissing the criticism and not allowing any further questioning on the subject. No matter what your race, ethnicity, gender, etc everyone should be able to acknowledge that claiming racism when it's clear there is none does far more harm than good for everyone. Lebron used victim hood as a means to silence free speech (in this case criticism directed towards him). The same free speech that allows me and you to speak up when race is a key issue. That should be unacceptable to you because when the situation actually is race based, it damages the chances those who might otherwise listen, will because they will be tonedeaf to the cries since they've heard it so much for so little.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 02-15-2019 at 12:10 PM.

No, it's not. I hope the point that I'm capable of making, and that you all are open to understanding, is that if you have a life learned experience of being confronted with racism, it informs how you view every instance. I hope that you all are open to approaching this idea that people "play with the race card" with some degree of empathy that you might not understand or agree with his perspective, but the reason for it isn't something that he's imagining. I'd accept a shoulder shrug and acknowledgement that it doesn't resonate with you, but it's insulting when the response is instead apoplectic or just outright dismissive.

My expectation isn't that a bball message board is the place to solve this, but I'm going to always be me so I've made my attempt and now moving on...
    Do you think it was appropriate for Lebron to make a racial argument in this instance? Nobody is pretending that racism isn’t an issue. I am not buying that he used the racial argument in good faith here. There comes a point where you have to have some self awareness and understand why Rich Paul is so despised by many. If he can label everyone racist for criticizing his agent, then you can’t really win can you?

This is coming from someone who had absolutely no problem with them attending that game. It actually takes the pee out of racial issues by using it so liberally.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Do you think it was appropriate for Lebron to make a racial argument in this instance? Nobody is pretending that racism isn’t an issue. I am not buying that he used the racial argument in good faith here. There comes a point where you have to have some self awareness and understand why Rich Paul is so despised by many. If he can label everyone racist for criticizing his agent, then you can’t really win can you?

This is coming from someone who had absolutely no problem with them attending that game. It actually takes the pee out of racial issues by using it so liberally.
    He laid out multiple arguments and folks have chosen to focus on the race one.

He laid out multiple arguments and folks have chosen to focus on the race one.
    Maybe because that's the only one people disagree with?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This. NM, I’ll concede that perhaps we are showing little empathy if you admit that there is a possibility that Lebron is completely FOS here

But my point is that you shouldn’t just dismiss it and call it the “race card” because you don’t agree. Part of the reason you don’t find it a credible argument is because it hasn’t been a part of your experience. It is however a shared part of the black experience. LeBron and Rich are too successful to be embracing victim hood, they’re just not immune to experiencing racial bias either.

This. NM, I’ll concede that perhaps we are showing little empathy if you admit that there is a possibility that Lebron is completely FOS here
    I will concede that there is ALWAYS the possibility that LeBron is FOS. LOL.

Boy Rich Paul really dropped the ball on this one.

https://clutchpoints.com/pelicans-ru...nt-publicized/

I will concede that there is ALWAYS the possibility that LeBron is FOS. LOL.
    Fair enough.

But my point is that you shouldn’t just dismiss it and call it the “race card” because you don’t agree. Part of the reason you don’t find it a credible argument is because it hasn’t been a part of your experience. It is however a shared part of the black experience. LeBron and Rich are too successful to be embracing victim hood, they’re just not immune to experiencing racial bias either.
    Again. You know nothing about me and yet you claim that "it hasn't been a part of my experience" ... The only way your logic allows you to excuse Lebron's actions is by forcing you to pre-judge me as unable to speak on the situation.

You should be able to see how backwards and harmful that thinking actually is.

Again. You know nothing about me and yet you claim that "it hasn't been a part of my experience" ... The only way your logic allows you to excuse Lebron's actions is by forcing you to pre-judge me as unable to speak on the situation.

This reminds me of David Webb when he was accused of white privelege over the phone (he is a black man btw).

I only claim that it hasn’t been a part of your experience, because if it had you couldn’t dismiss offhandedly LeBron’s reflection that it could be race. Isn’t that logical? If you could dismiss it, in spite of having shared that experience, that would be interesting but too personal to debate on a message board.

The whole idea that there is a “race card”, quite frankly is dismissive and insulting.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 02-15-2019 at 12:55 PM.

I only claim that it hasn’t been a part of your experience, because if it had you couldn’t dismiss offhandedly LeBron’s reflection that it could be race. Isn’t that logical? If you could dismiss it, in spite of having shared that experience, that would be interesting but too personal to debate on a message board.
    You would be incorrect in that assumption.

This reminds me of David Webb when he was accused of white privelege over the phone (he is a black man btw).
    I'm sorry but that was hilarious lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Wait didn't you knw? you must think exactly how the people who look like you think you can't have a mind of your own duh!

What assumption?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Wait didn't you knw? you must think exactly how the people who look like you think you can't have a mind of your own duh!

Well, I'm ugly as Pig tripe , so I'm out.

What assumption?
    This one is incorrect:

"I only claim that it hasn’t been a part of your experience, because if it had you couldn’t dismiss offhandedly LeBron’s reflection that it could be race."

-----------

Do you realize how absolutely harmful the logic of "if you are disagreeing with me it MUST be because you haven't had the same experiences as I have" is?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Well, I'm ugly as Pig tripe , so I'm out.
    no ********? same man high five

You sure he's not just what happens when David Mitchell and Robert Webb fuse into a single being?
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post

That’s not the point or the implication at all. Only if people have shared experiences there is generally a level of empathy or understanding that comes with that. Usually, not always. And empathy/understanding does not have to mean complete agreement.

This one is incorrect:

"I only claim that it hasn’t been a part of your experience, because if it had you couldn’t dismiss offhandedly LeBron’s reflection that it could be race."

-----------

Do you realize how absolutely harmful the logic of "if you are disagreeing with me it MUST be because you haven't had the same experiences as I have" is?
    I think I’m consistent in saying you can disagree without dismissing. This is not the place for this discussion, obviously.

edit. I hope it's clear what the difference is. We can have a debate/discussion about if how LeBron and his "posse" are viewed has anything to do with race. You can disagree. You guys dismissed it entirely without debate. I pointed to evidence as to why LeBron might have that worldview and got accused of injecting race into conversation. Huh, what?
    I get it might not have anything to do with how YOU specifically view LeBron, but to invalidate the argument that other people might view his actions differently because of his race seems ignorant to the society that we live in. I would not expect someone who has lived similar experience with race, to dismiss the idea. We can have the discussion, and conclude "nah", but even then I can't imagine anyone who has experienced being a black person in American dismissing the idea that some people could view them differently because of race. IMO, that's all LeBron was saying. He said race "could" play a factor. This is America. Of course it could. Honestly, it's likely it does play a factor. It doesn't mean it's THE reason, or even an overriding factor. To dismiss it as "playing the race card", it insinuates that it's a tactic and not a real problem. Again, if you share that experience, I don't understand how anyone could use that language. But again, not the time or place for a deeper dive.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 02-15-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Let's agree to disagree. I think we have all stated our views on the subject, so get back to basketball talk.

So what's the fallout if Rich Paul reps a player the Pels have interest in drafting?

It could be Zion, but it could also be someone further down the lottery like Garland. Or he could end up signing Ja, since Ja and Zion were AAU teammates. The Pelicans seemed to (maybe rightfully) come pretty close if not all the way to a scorched earth approach to Rich Paul. We should be mindful that these dudes grew up idolizing LeBron, and many of them admire the way LeBron has propped up his friend circle from Akron. If you're a young player, what LeBron has done is somewhat aspirational.

So what's the fallout if Rich Paul reps a player the Pels have interest in drafting?

It could be Zion, but it could also be someone further down the lottery like Garland. Or he could end up signing Ja, since Ja and Zion were AAU teammates. The Pelicans seemed to (maybe rightfully) come pretty close if not all the way to a scorched earth approach to Rich Paul. We should be mindful that these dudes grew up idolizing LeBron, and many of them admire the way LeBron has propped up his friend circle from Akron. If you're a young player, what LeBron has done is somewhat aspirational.
    If Rich Paul is the genius businessman that some people seem to think he is, then he should understand that this is business. Nothing against him personally, but if someone demands a trade mid-season and tries their business hand at sabotaging our position, we aren't inclined to help them out immediately. It's business, we aren't trying to ruin his life or anything, it's just us doing what's best for us.

If he is a legitimate businessman, he understands that each business transaction is a business transaction, and as long as we don't carry out a targeted vendetta against him, he should be able to measure business as business.

And if, by some event, he is personally salty about all of this, then the next choice of GM and how they approach it could hold a lot of weight. Griffin would be a positive in that department, but he might not be the best choice in other respects.

Thread Information