Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gentry has lost this team...

Gentry has lost this team...

Or it was taken from him by AD and Clutch?

Either way, it doesn't matter. They aren't playing for him. He's done as an NBA head coach. This is at least his 4th failure in that capacity. He says that he's done talking about AD. Well good luck with that strategy because, I got news for you Alvin, it doesn't work that way.

Now they will ask you about him even more...

"Alvin, how do you think AD's presence affecting team chemistry...?"
    "Why are you still playing him...?"
    "Did you object to your front office about playing him...?"
    "Has your team quit on you Alvin?"
    "What do you think about Clutch sports?"
    "Do you think Jrue will leave because of all this... ?"
    "Alvin, do you think you will be fired?"

The sharks can smell when there is blood in the water.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

I said that while watching last night's game. I think a fresh start with a new GM and coach is needed.

Basketball Guru
    the pelicans just need to sit AD and take the fine so the team can play competitive and fun to win or loose.....last night was a joke and a embarrassment to the fans.....i left at halftime.....i saw AD looking like he was hurt on the reply so i hope the team use that to sit him...

really? of all the ******** he can be blamed for this isn't one of them. remember the couple of games when ad wasn't out there and how excited all of them were and playing their asses off even jrue. so what happen oh that's right ad forced us to play his punk ******

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I am not a Gentry fan and never have been. However, I feel for him in this situation. It is a "no win" for him. Management has left him on an island. I am disappointed how upper management has handled the fan base post-deadline. Kushner was dead on in his article about how management should stop acting like all is fine. What are the going to do in the next week or two when season ticket renewals will be sent out? Are they still going to remain quiet and hope the money comes in? Marketing has never been this organizations' strong suit and Gayle and her crew need to realize that this is not the Saints whereby marketing is not needed to sell tickets. They need to work on damage repair and making their fanbase feel wanted and not taken for granted.

This is not Gentry's fault. The AD news has killed our locker room and possibly the Lakers and Celtics.

Clean house.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Gentry should not have been hired in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This is not Gentry's fault. The AD news has killed our locker room and possibly the Lakers and Celtics.
    Agreed. All the talking heads in the media who like to promote player mobility in the NBA for the top stars don't like shining a spotlight on all the negative effects it has. It leaves the psyche and team chemistry of locker rooms is in shambles, it tests fan loyalty, and it also leads to a lot of coaches being scapegoated and fired because the superstar comes first. This season alone, we've already seen Tom Thibodeaux fired, Walton is likely next, and Gentry looks to be on the hot seat this summer.
    Last edited by lawless522; 02-13-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Eye roll...

AD needs to be removed. No practice, no team meetings, no facility use. He gone. This team can't move forward with him around. Maybe Gentry does suck but it's real hard to judge his coaching ability in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    Agreed. All the talking heads in the media who like to promote player mobility in the NBA for the top stars don't like shining a spotlight on all the negative effects it has. It leaves the psyche and team chemistry of locker rooms is in shambles, it tests fan loyalty, and it also leads to a lot of coaches being scapegoated and fired because the superstar comes first. This season alone, we've already seen Tom Thibodeaux fired, Walton is likely next, and Gentry looks to be on the hot seat this summer.

How many more chances are we going to give Gentry? Has our defense ever improved?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    How many more chances are we going to give Gentry? Has our defense ever improved?
    Yeah, we had a top ten defense two seasons ago, and even last season it was 14th, which is a touch better than league average even though it's not great.

No real clue why it fell off a cliff this year aside from the fact that we gave heavy minutes to Tim Frazier, Randle doesn't seem to care, AD was playing at like, 50% on D, and there was a lack of intensity overall.
    Basketball.

In my opinion, he was a three time loser when we hired him. You don't give a guy that failed the driver's test 3 times, the keys to a Ferrari (AD). I like the man personally. I think he's genuinely a nice guy. He just isn't an NBA head coach. Sorry, it is what it is.

One way to judge a coach is to see how he takes the talent he is given, and then see what he does to get the most out of that talent. Gentry runs his system. If the players don't fit the system, he is ineffective. Unlike other coaches who adapt to their talent, he has a preconceived notion as to what they should be able to do as opposed to what they are actually capable of doing.

Contrast this to Brad Stevens. Give Stevens 15 decent guys, regardless of whether they fit his system, and 8 times out of 10 he will get at least a 500 record out of them, and 2 or 3 times, he probably gets at least the 8 seed and makes the playoffs. Stevens will adapt to the talent. I would argue the same for Doc Rivers. Gentry just isn't that guy.

He also isn't a Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich type that can make a player believe in what he's running so the player adapts. Heck, he couldn't even talk AD into playing center even though it was his arguably his best position. I was by no means a Monty fan, but to my eyes, he is a clear downgrade. At least you got the sense that players wanted to play for Monty. Not the case with Gentry, take Jrue for example, he stayed because of money and the fact that he wanted to play with AD. Not the same.

22- 2018-2019
    8- 2017-2018 * also 8 in general scoring (Boogie injury...)
    21- 2016-2017
    25- 2015-2016

13- 2014-2015
    21- 2013-2014

Gentry got us to be a top 10 team in offense and defense in his 3rd year.
    Last edited by SmontySwilliams; 02-13-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    22- 2018-2019
    8- 2017-2018
    21- 2016-2017
    25- 2015-2016

13- 2014-2015
    21- 2013-2014
    So we are regressing then.

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    I believe Thibadeau had a clash with management. Butler was already traded.

Had to rebuild around losing Rondo ( I blame Rondo) and Boogie getting injured and running to a ring ( I blame Boogie)

Top 8 offense and defense playing Gentry ball.

Hearing the sound of those goalposts moving pretty quick there.

Also..I...uh... Monty...was never top 10 in either.

Not saying Gentry is a great coach. I just don't think he deserves much of the blame for what's happened this year. If anything, I admire how he's handled himself when the media keeps grilling him about matters outside of his control. My only point was to say that the media doesn't point out the destructive consequences of star players forcing their way out, including that it usually results in the coach losing his job. I mean, hell...when your star player quits on the team midseason and then basically calls out his teammates for quitting last night, it goes to show how little these star players understand about team dynamics and being a leader.

Is Gentry putting people in the seats? Judging by yesterday’s attendance. NO.

I believe Thibadeau had a clash with management. Butler was already traded.
    Butler very publicly let it be known that he wanted out. Thibodeau's clash with management was over wanting to keep Butler. Again, my only point here is that this is the destructive nature and consequences of player's asking out.

I’ll also say this I know Loomis likes Isaiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Avery Johnson. All three are not the answer to our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting View Post

Contrast this to Brad Stevens. I would argue the same for Doc Rivers. Gentry just isn't that guy.

He also isn't a Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich type that can make a player believe in what he's running so the player adapts.
    Stevens hasn't won dip. Yet. But come on man, your complaint is Gentry isn't POP or PHIL? or DOC(only won 1 btw)!

I'd rather Gentry than most. Watch him go to the Lakers if we fire him.

Is Gentry putting people in the seats? Judging by yesterday’s attendance. NO.
    Do you think yesterday's attendence was down due to Gentry, or due to the fact that we've lost 5 of our last 6 games, the franchise future is uncertain, our star player has demanded a trade and refuses to put in effort on the court despite t he team being forced to play him at his own request, and the fact that the game was on a Wednesday at 7pm?

Thread Information