.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 240

Thread: 2019 NBA Draft Hopes

  1. #51
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JJackisangry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah exactly! That's why I wouldn't take him with a top pick, he didn't play a ton of games in college (10, I think?) and there's a ton of risks associated with players of that size anyway, but he really does have a lot of skill.

    I watched a ton of his highlights recently, looked at his box scores, his stats, etc etc, and his biggest weakenesses seem to be that he turns the ball over a lot, and can't really move anyone else in the post right now.

    But he has a solid handle for a guy of his size, his post moves are legitimately well developed, his shot looks really good from deep, his defense is good even out onto the perimeter, he's a shotblocker extraordinaire, he moves well off the ball, and (brace yourselves Pelicans fans) he boxes out!!!!

    If we get the Boston trade and end up with picks around 14th-18th, or if we trade Niko and end up getting a mid first rounder from that, I would love love love Bol Bol at that spot in the draft.
    He is probably going to be the steal of the draft. Many experts had him in the top 5 before the injury. You can’t teach size... hopefully his joints aren’t degenerative!

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    He is probably going to be the steal of the draft. Many experts had him in the top 5 before the injury. You can’t teach size... hopefully his joints aren’t degenerative!
    That's my only worry too, his joints. The injury doesn't really put me off too much at that mid-first-round position, but at 7'2 there's always a kind of mechanical risk.

    And he's only gonna be barely 19 years old by the time he plays his first NBA game. Youth + size + potential = a steal.
    Watching Pelicans games is what Georges Bataille meant by limit experiences.

  3. #53
    How is Zion's handles? My way of seeing him make a big impact in the league is how Simmons plays or maybe Giannis. His Assist numbers don't jump out to me as a facilitator but I think that is what he will need to be if his shot never develops.

  4. #54
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    How is Zion's handles? My way of seeing him make a big impact in the league is how Simmons plays or maybe Giannis. His Assist numbers don't jump out to me as a facilitator but I think that is what he will need to be if his shot never develops.
    Well, first things first - Zion can actually shoot.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Well, first things first - Zion can actually shoot.
    Can he? He shoots 28% from three and 60 something % from the FT line. Is there something in his shot you see developing?

  6. #56
    Exhibit C Nola3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    How is Zion's handles? My way of seeing him make a big impact in the league is how Simmons plays or maybe Giannis. His Assist numbers don't jump out to me as a facilitator but I think that is what he will need to be if his shot never develops.
    His handles are actually pretty good. Better than Giannis's when he came in the league (side note: Giannis has grown so much since he was a rookie. It's insane) but probably not as advanced as Simmons. Zion doesn't get to show the handles much in games because Tre Jones and Barrett do most of the ball handling, but you can see his ability shine every once in a while. And his shooting is probably on par with Giannis, and he won't outright refuse to shoot outside of 10 feet like Simmons. Also his vision is occasionally incredible, especially when running in transition. His assist numbers don't really bear it out and it's definitely an area he can improve in the halfcourt, but he definitely has the ability to be an elite secondary creator.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

    But he has a solid handle for a guy of his size, his post moves are legitimately well developed, his shot looks really good from deep, his defense is good even out onto the perimeter, he's a shotblocker extraordinaire, he moves well off the ball, and (brace yourselves Pelicans fans) he boxes out!!!!
    .
    What the heck is that?

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    What the heck is that?
    My eyes nearly fell out of my skull when I saw it.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Well, first things first - Zion can actually shoot.
    He can? His numbers are pretty meh.

  10. #60
    This just in: the tank is working. Our pick has leap-frogged Detroit and is now predicted to go 9th instead of 10th. Our chances of the 1st overall pick have gone from 3% to 4.5%. Still small, but progress. If we lose against the Bulls next game (unlikely) we'll leapfrog Washington too, and the chances will go up to 6%.

  11. #61
    (Ron Paul It's Happening GIF)

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    (Ron Paul It's Happening GIF)
    I just did a lottery sim on Tankathon and (as though the world was longing to make my day), our pick came up first and New York's second.

    What luck that would be.

  13. #63
    Zion, Barrett, Bol Bol

  14. #64
    so far kind of like DeAndre Hunter, and also Culver for our pick if it's 9 or 10. There are younger wings, but I like these two players games more as of right now.

  15. #65
    All-Star Dr. Sting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    325
    Regarding the first overall pick, I like R.J. Barrett. More complete with serious upside. Zion Williamson is often compared to Larry Johnson and Charles Barkley, but I don't see it. He doesn't have their nasty streak and isn't the same force on the block. They were both better outside shooters as well. Also, I think the both LJ and Barkley had much better basketball fundamentals. I would also compare him to Black Griffith but he's shorter and not as long. He strikes me as a "tweener" so to speak. No doubt, he'll be a good player and instant box office, but I am not feeling him as the number one pick. Not enough upside,
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

  16. #66
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting View Post
    Regarding the first overall pick, I like R.J. Barrett. More complete with serious upside. Zion Williamson is often compared to Larry Johnson and Charles Barkley, but I don't see it. He doesn't have their nasty streak and isn't the same force on the block. They were both better outside shooters as well. Also, I think the both LJ and Barkley had much better basketball fundamentals. I would also compare him to Black Griffith but he's shorter and not as long. He strikes me as a "tweener" so to speak. No doubt, he'll be a good player and instant box office, but I am not feeling him as the number one pick. Not enough upside,
    I have not been overly impressed by Barrett. He does not seem to get others involved and is not a great shooter. But, the scouts know much more than I do.

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I have not been overly impressed by Barrett. He does not seem to get others involved and is not a great shooter. But, the scouts know much more than I do.
    I'd like someone to one day explain to me what it is that scouts actually look for, to be honest.

    I have to admit that I've only paid tangential attention to the draft in past years, because we've never been a drafting team, and it's rare we even had our own first rounder. But I have always checked out the top five or ten guys in each draft, just through watching a game or two, or a couple of highlight videos. Once I've done that, and I've formulated my own opinions, I read some scouting reports and they very rarely say anything that I could not tell you myself after watching 15 minutes of highlight footage.

    But every year, there are one or two players that I just can't explain. This year, there's a ton of 'em. RJ Barrett seems solid to me, but I have absolutely no clue why he's considered a potential top 2 draftee, over Ja Morant by some. Romeo Langford is another, I cannot understand why anyone has him going before Jarrett Culver, sometimes as high as 4th, but there it is on the mock drafts. What do scouts see in these players that just passes me by?

  18. #68
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JJackisangry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'd like someone to one day explain to me what it is that scouts actually look for, to be honest.

    I have to admit that I've only paid tangential attention to the draft in past years, because we've never been a drafting team, and it's rare we even had our own first rounder. But I have always checked out the top five or ten guys in each draft, just through watching a game or two, or a couple of highlight videos. Once I've done that, and I've formulated my own opinions, I read some scouting reports and they very rarely say anything that I could not tell you myself after watching 15 minutes of highlight footage.

    But every year, there are one or two players that I just can't explain. This year, there's a ton of 'em. RJ Barrett seems solid to me, but I have absolutely no clue why he's considered a potential top 2 draftee, over Ja Morant by some. Romeo Langford is another, I cannot understand why anyone has him going before Jarrett Culver, sometimes as high as 4th, but there it is on the mock drafts. What do scouts see in these players that just passes me by?
    Bias plays a huge part I would imagine. Zion (to his credit) looks like a potential freak of a player. I canít say that about any of the other guys (and Iím a bit skeptical on Zion).

  19. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Bias plays a huge part I would imagine. Zion (to his credit) looks like a potential freak of a player. I can’t say that about any of the other guys (and I’m a bit skeptical on Zion).
    Maybe, but where would the bias come from? It's not like, say, Langford has any history that should make scouts and analysts love him. He's just a dude, playing basketball, and looking like maybe a fringe lottery pick.

  20. #70
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JJackisangry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Maybe, but where would the bias come from? It's not like, say, Langford has any history that should make scouts and analysts love him. He's just a dude, playing basketball, and looking like maybe a fringe lottery pick.
    It’s anybody’s guess really. I know some guys jump on a talent early and are desperate to be right, so they back them to the hilt no matter what. I could see 5-14 being flipped on its head

  21. #71
    I know I've said this about 40 times, but I just gotta say it now.

    Please let us get Bol Bol.

  22. #72
    All-Star Dr. Sting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'd like someone to one day explain to me what it is that scouts actually look for, to be honest.

    I have to admit that I've only paid tangential attention to the draft in past years, because we've never been a drafting team, and it's rare we even had our own first rounder. But I have always checked out the top five or ten guys in each draft, just through watching a game or two, or a couple of highlight videos. Once I've done that, and I've formulated my own opinions, I read some scouting reports and they very rarely say anything that I could not tell you myself after watching 15 minutes of highlight footage.

    But every year, there are one or two players that I just can't explain. This year, there's a ton of 'em. RJ Barrett seems solid to me, but I have absolutely no clue why he's considered a potential top 2 draftee, over Ja Morant by some. Romeo Langford is another, I cannot understand why anyone has him going before Jarrett Culver, sometimes as high as 4th, but there it is on the mock drafts. What do scouts see in these players that just passes me by?
    What I see in RJ Barrett is a guy who can finish around the basket with either hand. A relentless work ethic. "Athletic arrogance," in that when he needs to score he has the raw athleticism to impose his will and get it done. He can shoot mid-range and shows signs of being able to develop into a decent 3 point shooter. And most of all, he's just a "dog." He keeps coming at you. He looks like a Tracy McGrady with a Russell Westbrook mentality. I really like the kid. Not casting shade on Zion, I think he will be good as well. I just don't know how far his pure athleticism carries him in the NBA with guys who are taller and longer. He will definitely have to develop a better post game or an outside shot. He may do that, but some guys never do it. He seems like a really nice kid, but you know what they say about nice guys...

  23. #73
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JJackisangry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I know I've said this about 40 times, but I just gotta say it now.

    Please let us get Bol Bol.
    I am 100 percent biased towards this guy. I have him 3rd in my mock

  24. #74
    Keldon Johnson is the guy I'm looking at if we're outside the top-5. That shot looks as pure as anyone I have seen, specifically in this class where shooting is fairly weak at the top. Looks like Brad Beal, only worry is the 75% FT shooting.

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Keldon Johnson is the guy I'm looking at if we're outside the top-5. That shot looks as pure as anyone I have seen, specifically in this class where shooting is fairly weak at the top. Looks like Brad Beal, only worry is the 75% FT shooting.
    75 isn't bad in college to be fair. His defense/ general play the past couple of months has been more concerning. But if he can play as he was earlier in the season he is still very intriguing

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •