Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Alvin Gentry hired as Pelicans coach !

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Dell loves Tyreke he's his only real FA signing and was a huge reason we made the playoffs. I doubt he is going anywhere. When Dell talks about his core he is saying Jrue, AD, and Tyreke those 3 are the least likely to be traded imo.
    Idc how much he loves Tyreke. I guarantee you he would rather have Draymond Green as his new FA signing. Green is a much better fit here than Tyreke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We had the 8th offense with a near bottom pace, Tyreke dribbling for 14 seconds before initating offense, and Monty as the HC. I fully expect a top 3 offense with Gentry.

Keep in mind Brian Shaw was at the GS workout TODAY talking with Gentry. Let's see how our defense does next year.

Man I would absolutely love to hire Shaw. Great players coach to work with AD other guys. Gentry and Shaw would be a hell of a duo to have coaching our team and probably a better combo than any one coach we could have hired.

Smart move by Demps.

I look at it this way.
    GS is going to be contenders in the West for the next 5 years with the way their team is constructed and their youth.
    They are the Pel's biggest threat in the brutal west IMO.

So what does Demps do?
    He hires their lead assistant coach.
    Now we will know their strength and weaknesses.

Plus it's much easier to get good defensive assistant coaches.
    Dell also still has the final say on players more so than if JVG was hired.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Does this mean that Stephen A. Smith can get off his "firing a black coach" high horse?
    Please tweet him. I want to troll him so bad right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Man I would absolutely love to hire Shaw. Great players coach to work with AD other guys. Gentry and Shaw would be a hell of a duo to have coaching our team and probably a better combo than any one coach we could have hired.
    Chauncey Billups

Yeah Stephen A. can let up now.

Quote Originally Posted by IVICP3 View Post
    Gentry as head coach:

Team Year G W L W–L% Finish PG PW PL PW–L% Result
    MIA 1994–95 36 15 21 .417 4th in Atlantic — — — — Missed Playoffs
    DET 1997–98 37 16 21 .432 6th in Central — — — — Missed Playoffs
    DET 1998–99 50 29 21 .580 3rd in Central 5 2 3 .400 Lost in First Round
    DET 1999–00 58 28 30 .483 — — — — — —
    LAC 2000–01 82 31 51 .378 6th in Pacific — — — — Missed Playoffs
    LAC 2001–02 82 39 43 .476 5th in Pacific — — — — Missed Playoffs
    LAC 2002–03 58 19 39 .328 (fired) — — — — —
    PHX 2008–09 31 18 13 .581 2nd in Pacific — — — — Missed Playoffs
    PHX 2009–10 82 54 28 .659 2nd in Pacific 16 10 6 .625 Lost in Conf. Finals
    PHX 2010–11 82 40 42 .488 2nd in Pacific — — — — Missed Playoffs
    PHX 2011–12 66 33 33 .500 3rd in Pacific — — — — Missed Playoffs
    PHX 2012–13 41 13 28 .317 (fired) — — — — —

Nothing more to say, 1 remarkable season of 12 seasons, 2 times fired (Suns at 12-13, Clippers at 02-03). I saw the Suns at 10-11, 11-12 and 12-13 and i remember that i saw a very good offensive team but in defense was awful, any team with physical players destroy the Suns of these seasons with Gentry.

VERY DISAPPOINTED with Gentry as head coach.
    You could put Phil or Pop as coach of those teams and I guarantee it wouldn't be much different. Players are so important to the success of a coach and those teams simply had nothing to work with. Doc Rivers for example was terrible in Orlando then he goes to Boston with some stud players and instantly has a top team every season. Would he have done that staying in Orlando? No way he would have even been close. A coaching record is nice but there is more you have to look into before making that the sole factor on why you think it is a bad hire or not. I'll take AD being happy with the hire and signing off on it over any fan or myself.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-30-2015 at 07:50 PM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Smart move by Demps.

I look at it this way.
    GS is going to be contenders in the West for the next 5 years with the way their team is constructed and their youth.
    They are the Pel's biggest threat in the brutal west IMO.

So what does Demps do?
    He hires their lead assistant coach.
    Now we will know their strength and weaknesses.

Plus it's much easier to get good defensive assistant coaches.
    Dell also still has the final say on players more so than if JVG was hired.
    This should have had .00001% impact on the hiring of Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Chauncey Billups
    He got asked if he ever sees himself coaching in a interview not long ago. Basically he shot it down completely like it was the last thing on earth he would want to do is deal with player egos and other stuff that goes on with coaching. Maybe he has changed his mind and I would love him but I think he is very likely to accept a coaching job especially if it isn't being a HC from the get go like Kidd. I would definitely rather have Shaw over Billups who is regarded as one of the better defensive minds in the NBA over Billups.

Quote Originally Posted by IVICP3 View Post
    since i saw the Suns of 10-12,11-12... i don't like Gentry. Only this.

I hope that in the press conference and with his character, comments.... at least convince me to trust him .
    So a press conference on him talking about himself will sway you to all the sudden like him? How about support the coach and trust the hire until you have a reason to believe he is the wrong guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Um, GS is going to win the NBA championship this yr. People evolve. Smart people insert things that work into their arsenal. I'm assuming Gentry is smart enough to learn that what they did in Oakland works, right?
    And your 12 seasons thoery really holds no water. He was a head coach for an 82 game season 4 times. 2 of those w/ a HORRIBLE Clippers organization & 2 w/Phx. 54 wins one season & Stoudamire shananigans in the 40 win season! 1st 3 yrs were like a condensed blur! I'm going to give the guy a shot! With what he did with a full Phx team, along w/ what he has learned the past 2 seasons w/ Kerr & Rivers! What the heck.
    I completely agree!

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    This should have had .00001% impact on the hiring of Gentry.
    Well I respectfully disagree.
    To say 0.00001% is a bit of a stretch, but I think this definitely came into consideration.

As long as Davis is happy I'm happy.
    There were several references throughout the year where Davis, Tyreke and Gordon have mentioned they wanted to run.

Wow, how bad.you fire monty and hire the assistant coach of GS, then we want AD to stay here, lol.demps was the firing, not monty, oh well.

If Davis is cool with it I'm cool with it

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    To say 0.00001% is a bit of a stretch, but I think this definitely came into consideration.

There were several references throughout the year where Davis, Tyreke and Gordon have mentioned they wanted to run.
    I agree with Davis, but if a head coach was hired because of the info he can bring from another team just bc we think they will be rivals for the next 5 years.....Demps would not be in as high of a position in an organization as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    If Davis is cool with it I'm cool with it
    Davis did update his twitter with a sweet Pelicans hat and put "Squadddd!" three days ago so im sure he is cool
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Yesssssssssss!
    Fake reporters with so called info rode the fence while typing info on JVG. Gentry is the best man for the job, upgrade from Monty Williams FOR sure. I wanted Thibs, but changed mind weeks ago after leakage of very bad info. No shame in admission! Taking out the ignorance bias, Gentry is the guy!

Glad we have a head coach now. If he hires the right assistants, this team will be tough.

Aussie, I agree 100% with u bro! Get past the foolishness, basic thinking prevail!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    Aussie, I agree 100% with u bro! Get past the foolishness, basic thinking prevail!

Anyone who's debating with records, I WANT MARK JACKSON!

LMAO.......

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    Anyone who's debating with records, I WANT MARK JACKSON!

LMAO.......
    Maybe we can get S. Curry here is we sign Jackson.....LOL

Maybe we can get S. Curry here is we sign Jackson.....LOL
    Won't happen, but we'll be mentally and physically ready as a finesse team. Which Golden State was when Mark Jackson took over. Check the records baby!!!! Numbers don't lie!

90% say no to Mark Jackson, but lacked the info to his tenure in Golden State as head coach. If they knew, their post would be different. After all half of Golden States team went to Mark Jackson right sfter the game, clenching the western conferance to thank him and give him his just due. Even Kerr gave homage. Anyway....

Very glad for Mr. Alvin Gentry!

No full comment yet from me on Gentry hire. But one thing does come to mind in favor of Gentry. Why so many times AD would be about the first Pel to sprint down the court and never get the ball because it
    looked like we were trained to slow things down for a set offense ? Likely that Gentry can increase our offense pace and take advantage of AD and the defense before it has time to fully set up. I do believe that Gentry will need a strong defensive assistant coach because defense is always very, very important come playoff time. Also, I am doubting that Asik fits into a Gentry game plan.

I smell Demps didn't want to give up any control to Tibs or JVG, and so he found the best "Yes" man he could. Not a bad "Yes" man, but not one that is going to demand things from the front office that they won't want to budge on.

I hope for brighter days, but we shall see. Not feeling to optomistic.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information