Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: So the bucks beat writer tweeted this tidbit about the pels...

am I right if Avery/Joe D. were seen with Benson's daughter?
    the question is which team will win the political fight

no matter of fact - the winning factor is argument after Monty and/or Dell

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    It's most likely Dell being let go. I think Monty stays. Monty is better than 75 percent of the coaches in this league. If he gets let go I will be upset. I think people are wrong about him. He will have everything to do with us getting in the playoffs.

One thing I've learned following the Saints and this team is you hear the absolute false and stupidest things written by other fans and media alike. If you aren't a big market team, and/or a team on TV a lot, people just don't know what they are talking about.

It's pretty obvious that Dell has done his job well. If they make the playoffs there is no reason whatsoever to rock the boat with some political move. Even if they stay on trend and miss the playoffs by a few games, same thing. Unless the higher ups are on crack which I don't think they are.

I say we get a petition together to retain Dell and make it trending. We need to get the FO's attention. It really could work.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    One thing I've learned following the Saints and this team is you hear the absolute false and stupidest things written by other fans and media alike. If you aren't a big market team, and/or a team on TV a lot, people just don't know what they are talking about.

It's pretty obvious that Dell has done his job well. If they make the playoffs there is no reason whatsoever to rock the boat with some political move. Even if they stay on trend and miss the playoffs by a few games, same thing. Unless the higher ups are on crack which I don't think they are.
    I don't think you have to be on crack to pay 300 million for a business and want to bring in your own GM to run it. Even if they think Dell has done good, I am sure that they probably think that their own guy can do better. Would they be right? I personally don't think so. But these are extremely rich and successful people we are talking about here, who probably think they are infallible - similar to athletes. If they want to find holes in what Dell has done, they can do that pretty easily and justify letting him go in their own minds.

This is a very, very common thing in business - to buy a company and eventually bring in your own people when it is financially ideal to do so. I won't support it at all, but I won't be surprised by it and I do think it is the norm. I mean, how many other teams in all of sports have:

1.) A GM who wasn't hired by the current owner
    2.) A coach who wasn't hired by the current GM

That is very, very, very odd. Objectively, I think there is a smaller chance that we remain one of the few (if not only) teams with this foundation than chance that we become more like the norm.
    @mcnamara247

2 things make me hesitant about trading Tyreke

1. He's tough as hell and plays through injuries and takes beatings like no one else on the team.

2. He still has a lot of potential. Could you imagine of he had James Harden's step back jumper?

I think we just need that second star behind AD and we'll be dominant. Tyreke is a great Ginobili.
    Last edited by Writhe; 03-10-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I don't think you have to be on crack to pay 300 million for a business and want to bring in your own GM to run it. Even if they think Dell has done good, I am sure that they probably think that their own guy can do better. Would they be right? I personally don't think so. But these are extremely rich and successful people we are talking about here, who probably think they are infallible - similar to athletes. If they want to find holes in what Dell has done, they can do that pretty easily and justify letting him go in their own minds.

This is a very, very common thing in business - to buy a company and eventually bring in your own people when it is financially ideal to do so. I won't support it at all, but I won't be surprised by it and I do think it is the norm. I mean, how many other teams in all of sports have:

1.) A GM who wasn't hired by the current owner
    2.) A coach who wasn't hired by the current GM

That is very, very, very odd. Objectively, I think there is a smaller chance that we remain one of the few (if not only) teams with this foundation than chance that we become more like the norm.
    You make good points Mac, but Benson & Co. had a chance to clean house and bring in their own people in the spring of 2012 and chose not to do so. Now, whether it was Dell's idea to expedite the rebuild and sold Benson on it or it was Benson's idea from the get-go, who knows? I'm not saying this precludes Benson from making a change, just pointing out a fact from the past. Obviously, Benson reserves the right to not only do what he pleases, but also to change his mind.

I personally think Demps has done a fine job. He seems to almost always exceed our expectations of what is possible as far as offseason acquisitions are concerned and I'd love to see what he would pull off this offseason and next if he were retained.

The thing that would really upset me the most, as a fan, would be if they hire people (coaches or management) solely based on a friendship without regard for prior performance. They don't need me to tell them that EVERYTHING should revolve around putting the absolute best people around AD in the quest for a Championship. I just pray they make the right decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    You make good points Mac, but Benson & Co. had a chance to clean house and bring in their own people in the spring of 2012 and chose not to do so. Now, whether it was Dell's idea to expedite the rebuild and sold Benson on it or it was Benson's idea from the get-go, who knows? I'm not saying this precludes Benson from making a change, just pointing out a fact from the past. Obviously, Benson reserves the right to not only do what he pleases, but also to change his mind.

I personally think Demps has done a fine job. He seems to almost always exceed our expectations of what is possible as far as offseason acquisitions are concerned and I'd love to see what he would pull off this offseason and next if he were retained.

The thing that would really upset me the most, as a fan, would be if they hire people (coaches or management) solely based on a friendship without regard for prior performance. They don't need me to tell them that EVERYTHING should revolve around putting the absolute best people around AD in the quest for a Championship. I just pray they make the right decisions.
    Here's the difference - Dell was under contract. He would have to pay him to not work and another guy to work. Remember - Benson has said in the past with regard to Saints players that he doesn't want to pay a guy and have him beat his team. Not a fan of that. So, I could see a scenario in which they let Dell play out his contract while they kind of get their bearings and start to plan on the future with regards to hiring their own guy.

Like I keep saying, I really hope this isn't the case, but I know I've heard enough from people behind the scenes every day to be really worried about it.

Shaking up the front office just to put in "your guy" seems like a stupid decision imo (in really any business not just sports).
    The team is GROWING and showing improvement. Why jeopardize that?

If it really is just to put in his "own guy" and that guy is Joe Dumars?... I'd question how basketball savvy Benson's "advisers" truly are.

Is it just me or does it seem like the teams that have SUSTAINED SUCCESS are the ones with the most continuity between FO and Coach? Naaaah lets just make some "major moves" for the hell of it. Couldn't hurt right?
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 03-10-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Alright, I can't keep it to myself anymore. There is a coach who has coached here before that our current owner and his closest advisors are not questioning whether to hire, but wether to hand him GM power as well. I will absolutely say no more on this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanMan View Post
    Alright, I can't keep it to myself anymore. There is a coach who has coached here before that our current owner and his closest advisors are not questioning whether to hire, but wether to hand him GM power as well. I will absolutely say no more on this.
    Dear God. This is almost enough to make me hope Benson's daughter wins. . .

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanMan View Post
    Please no Avery.... especially Avery with GM power? Lord help us.

Bad moon rising.

Did anyone listen to the BS Report with Zach Lowe yesterday? They were talking about the Bulls and Simmons threw out the possibility of Thibs leaving the Bulls for the Pelicans this offseason, much in the way Simmons tends to throw opinions out there. However Zach seemed to reiterate this opinion, saying something about Thibs having interest in the Pelicans and the Magic due to their massive defensive potential.

Correct me if I'm mis-remembering since I only listened to it the one time, but it definitely stuck out to me as a pretty solid rumor when Zach confirmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    Please no Avery.... especially Avery with GM power? Lord help us.

Bad moon rising.
    Avery hasn't coached here before.

Say no to Byron Scott.

There is also Tim Floyd. Maybe some one can make a case for him?

As far as coach/gm it kinda makes sense since Loomis is over them anyway.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 03-10-2015 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Avery hasn't coached here before.

Say no to Byron Scott.

There is also Tim Floyd and Paul silas.
    ah, skipped over "here"... in any case all those listed -- turrible choices.

ah, skipped over "here"... in any case all those listed -- turrible choices.
    Had to edit it. Didn't realize how old Silas was now. Couldn't possibly be him.

Leaves it narrowed to Floyd and Scott really.

I'll be honest, I don't know much about Floyd. I remember his name being thrown around for a replacement at LSU a few years back. People liked him then.

Lets NOT forget one of the greatest GM/Coaches of all time.. Jefferson Bower.

Lets NOT forget one of the greatest GM/Coaches of all time.. Jefferson Bower.
    Gtfo with that. I might slit my wrist.

I'll be honest, I don't know much about Floyd. I remember his name being thrown around for a replacement at LSU a few years back. People liked him then.
    He didn't exactly specify only head coaches right? So couldn't it also be someone like Mike Malone?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Mike Malone!

Quote Originally Posted by cmac81 View Post
    He didn't exactly specify only head coaches right? So couldn't it also be someone like Mike Malone?
    Wait, all is not lost! There's hope! (good call man)

Quote Originally Posted by cmac81 View Post
    I suppose there is hope.

I suppose there is hope.
    I mean he's never had player movement control before, but coaching wise I would definitely rather have him than Floyd, Scott or *shudders* Bower.

Malone was my first thought too, and after the Kings debacle, asking for pers. control would absolutely be of interest to him I'm sure.

Brian Hill and Alvin Gentry have both been coaches here too. There's really nobody in this team's history that I'd be even neutral about coming in and getting that kind of power. Not even as a head coach.

Thread Information