Pelicans Report

Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1505

Thread: Official Fire Monty Thread

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    IMO this falls on Demps more than Williams. Why would you acquire player that don't fit your coaches style and keep the coach? Makes no sense.
    This actually is a solid point, but it is a coach's job to work with what he has, and it isn't like this team is devoid of talent. Monty's biggest problem is his lack of ability to adapt to his personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    This actually is a solid point, but it is a coach's job to work with what he has, and it isn't like this team is devoid of talent. Monty's biggest problem is his lack of ability to adapt to his personnel.
    That's it. The biggest problem. He and Dell both sat down and identified Tyreke as the player they wanted, and truth be told, had we not had all these injuries, this would not be an almost 50 page thread. But, we do have the injuries so you have to adapt to your personnel as best you can.

Adapt to your personnel. How should he adapt to his personnel? Give Tyreke 35 minutes? Tyreke said he'd be fine coming off the bench. Since we've had the injuries should that have put Tyreke into the starting lineup? He doesn't have to be a starter to get upwards of 30 mpg. Give Austin 30 minutes? Roberts and Stiemsma never see playing time? Run more? Change up everything he's ever implemented? If you were writing a letter to Monty what would you tell him about how to adapt to his personnel? We can all sit here and say he needs to adapt to his personnel but if it were you, how would you go about adapting to the personnel we currently have?

We all say he doesn't do this, he can't do this, he can't do that. That's understandable. But instead of saying what he's doing wrong... talk about how you'd fix it. And don't just say fire him. If you really and honestly had to give him advice as though he were your friend, what would you tell him? What would your solution be?

IMO this falls on Demps more than Williams. Why would you acquire player that don't fit your coaches style and keep the coach? Makes no sense.
    Players' skills don't adapt to the coach's. The coach is supposed to adapt the players. Dell is just trying to accumulate the best players he can and have their skill sets optimized.

Quote Originally Posted by jsl05 View Post
    Players' skills don't adapt to the coach's. The coach is supposed to adapt the players. Dell is just trying to accumulate the best players he can and have their skill sets optimized.
    It's said in the other thread about implementing offenses that George Karl is a "my way or the highway" type of coach. I know a lot of people here want him but would that upset fans if he didn't adapt to the players?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    It's said in the other thread about implementing offenses that George Karl is a "my way or the highway" type of coach. I know a lot of people here want him but would that upset fans if he didn't adapt to the players?

He's also like 65 years old. I'm in not way discriminating against age here, but for this team I can't see how that's a positive in this instance.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

That's it. The biggest problem. He and Dell both sat down and identified Tyreke as the player they wanted, and truth be told, had we not had all these injuries, this would not be an almost 50 page thread. But, we do have the injuries so you have to adapt to your personnel as best you can.

Adapt to your personnel. How should he adapt to his personnel? Give Tyreke 35 minutes? Tyreke said he'd be fine coming off the bench. Since we've had the injuries should that have put Tyreke into the starting lineup? He doesn't have to be a starter to get upwards of 30 mpg. Give Austin 30 minutes? Roberts and Stiemsma never see playing time? Run more? Change up everything he's ever implemented? If you were writing a letter to Monty what would you tell him about how to adapt to his personnel? We can all sit here and say he needs to adapt to his personnel but if it were you, how would you go about adapting to the personnel we currently have?

We all say he doesn't do this, he can't do this, he can't do that. That's understandable. But instead of saying what he's doing wrong... talk about how you'd fix it. And don't just say fire him. If you really and honestly had to give him advice as though he were your friend, what would you tell him? What would your solution be?
    I'm of the belief that Tyreke should be surrounded by shooters when he is on the floor. Let him drive and kick, and open up some lanes by spacing the floor. Do we have a million shooters atm? No, but Monty continues to play lineups that will feature Tyreke with people like Aminu who shrink lanes and provide little on the offensive end.

To be fair this thread and many others are littered with ideas of what to do with our lineups. I've said many times that I believe the the tyreke "Manu role" should of flew out the window as soon as the injuries occurred. Tyreke Evans has proven from college to nba that he is best suited to play the pg position. When he has the ball in his hands for an entire game(when he is in) for 30-35 min then he catches the flow of the game. He can truly become unstoppable when he has the opportunity to do that. Tyreke Evans can not play the 3. I'm not sure how our guys (monty&dell) missed this. He avg 20-5-5 his rookie year playing pg. They moved him to the 2 his next year and the 3 the following year. His numbers declined with the moves. He became what he became in college playing the point. Tyreke Evans is so dam good at the pg. that I'd give up holiday for him IF it meant tyreke was our starting pg getting 35 min. Im serious he can be that good. Now back to reality.

They are totally misusing him here and he is a 2 & a 3 on our team. So, my opinion on Evans changes with that. I honestly don't care for his game (at those positions) and didn't like the signing because I knew he wouldn't play pg. rivers is becoming a better player and growing right before our eyes. It seems every time out on the court he shows something new that he's improved on. So, why in the world does Roberts get more run than this kid? Roberts is what he is. He has hit his ceiling. We can't defend Monty and say well the season was over when our key guys went down so what do u expect the guy to do? If that is the case (and it is over as far as playoffs go) then our young guys should be getting major run at this point to see who develops for the rest of the year(Withey, rivers, miller,). Rivers at this point shows he is the better player than Roberts night in night out on the floor in every facet of the game except for shooting. Roberts will give up 8 pts for every 2 he gets you.

For instance a few game a ago rivers played a very good game and the very next game only got 13 min to Roberts 30+. Same as last night. Rivers was in for the first 6 min to begin the 4th qtr and our unit was playing very good with him in. Knowing that Roberts is probably our worst on ball defender on the team Monty plays him for the final 6 min including the last play where he should of made a sub. He did the same thing in the game where he left morrow out there to defend instead of making the witty sub in for aminu for defense. What happens? Morrow fouls a 3pt shooter. Monty is giving run to Roberts like he did with Willie green a few years back. It's just getting to be ridiculous. The man has no sense of on the fly adjustments. We know who and when will be subbed in and out 90% of the time. If we know that what do u think the opposing coaches know? To use this years injuries as excuses just doesn't work. These problems have been the same problems that have been going on for last 3-4 years. When we were fully healthy we still weren't on track for the playoffs( yes I know it was early in season but what proof is they that things would've gotten better).Hell the jazz got their first win against us. The magic blew us out the building in an embarrassing way. This man is not the right man for this job. Bottom line. Not sure what it's gonna take for some people to realize that. Just in general not directed to you. Here is my lineups if I was coach right now.

Evans/rivers. Finishing 5 would be same as starting 5 but with Gordon in.
    Roberts/Gordon
    Miller/aminu
    Davis/Babbitt
    Withey/ajinca.

You have to get creative and try new things when thing are shaken up quite a bit like with our current injuries. I'd bring Gordon off the bench for scoring. Yet, he would still get 30-33 min on the floor. I like that lineup starting with Reke running the point and hed be on the floor with 3 shooters that have to be respected. Roberts can guard the point while he's on the floor for about 10-12 min. Reke can guard the 2. Others are fine. I really would like to see Gordon be our scoring punch off the bench instead of tyreke cause Monty is not putting tyreke in with the right guys off the bench. Gordon can score no matter who's on the floor. Just my ideas tho. Sorry for the essay lol.
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 02-23-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Also, when we were relatively healthy we would force ourselves inside instead of letting our shooters make some shots. It just seems stubborn to me, but maybe somebody can explain it to me (I'm not going to pretend like I am a coach or anything).

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Demps hasn't proven to be any better. If one goes, the other should too.
    I agree.

Also, when we were relatively healthy we would force ourselves inside instead of letting our shooters make some shots. It just seems stubborn to me, but maybe somebody can explain it to me (I'm not going to pretend like I am a coach or anything).
    Me neither lol BUT some things are obvious to the casual fan. When ppl on a message board are calling what's gonna happen to lose us the game before it happens but the coach doesn't? There's a problem.

I agree with KC , to have Roberts in on the last defensive play is inexcusable !!!!! his man blew right by him to dish off the winning bucket

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    He's also like 65 years old. I'm in not way discriminating against age here, but for this team I can't see how that's a positive in this instance.
    That's a good point. What u think of George Marshall?

No doubt you would hope a coach can adapt. However there needs to be harmony from GM's to coaches to players. Why as a GM would you make moves without considering the players on the team as well as the coaches system?

No doubt you would hope a coach can adapt. However there needs to be harmony from GM's to coaches to players. Why as a GM would you make moves without considering the players on the team as well as the coaches system?
    In a perfect world, that would be the case. But Dell has had great opportunities to acquire players that he has high on his board. He's worried about collecting the best assets from around the league. It's the coach's job to put those assets together, not to confine them to his "system."

Looks like Mike Malone was the best coach on that 2010-2011 playoff team.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Evans/rivers. Finishing 5 would be same as starting 5 but with Gordon in.
    Roberts/Gordon
    Miller/aminu
    Davis/Babbitt
    Withey/ajinca.
    It is not that i am convinced this line up would be great but i would like the coach of my team to try things and this would be a great thing to try. Besides AD getting better and better I am a bit bored with watching my favourite team. if we had a chance at getting to the playoffs I might be excited with every shot and steal that Brob makes but since we are not making the playoffs i don't care if he makes them or not. If withey, miller, rivers, babbitt, ajinca were getting playing time i could be getting excited if they were making improvement... i think the pels are wasting this time and it is monty's fault. having a lost season we should be improving the young players but also learning if they can improve. what will be dell's knowledge about withey, miller, rivers or even pjax that should help him make his decisions? how playing roberts and stiemsmsa actually helps this franchise long term?

Just stopped by to say I am still on the FIRE MONTY bandwagon have a good day guys and gals
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    It is not that i am convinced this line up would be great but i would like the coach of my team to try things and this would be a great thing to try. Besides AD getting better and better I am a bit bored with watching my favourite team. if we had a chance at getting to the playoffs I might be excited with every shot and steal that Brob makes but since we are not making the playoffs i don't care if he makes them or not. If withey, miller, rivers, babbitt, ajinca were getting playing time i could be getting excited if they were making improvement... i think the pels are wasting this time and it is monty's fault. having a lost season we should be improving the young players but also learning if they can improve. what will be dell's knowledge about withey, miller, rivers or even pjax that should help him make his decisions? how playing roberts and stiemsmsa actually helps this franchise long term?
    I agree. I'm not sure how good the lineup would do either but I think it'd be better than what we are seeing now. At the very least it gives our young guys some quality playing time to progress. So, we can see if they are in our future plans or not. At this point with the season lost as far as playoffs go. There is no reason for Roberts, and steisthma to be getting quality playing time instead.

Benson can you please fire Monty?

Enough is enough.This team is a joke without proper leadership. His offensive sets are horrible along with his substitution choices. We have the talent. We just need a coach to propel us to the next level.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Oh look another Fire Monty thread. How original

Fire El Monty.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

He's not even -trying- different lineups. Watching the clipper game was so frustrating I almost turned it off

Listened to the podcast yesterday and have to agree with McNamara, we fire Monty and how long before Avery Johnson is introduced as coach?

Quote Originally Posted by eballa1 View Post
    Listened to the podcast yesterday and have to agree with McNamara, we fire Monty and how long before Avery Johnson is introduced as coach?
    Won't happen. Also, I don't think McNamara said he thinks Avery Johnson would become a coach, but it is a concern/fear. I have confidence Demps would go out and get a coach that fits his vision of the team.

Demps can look all he wants, if the Bensons want the hometown boy, they'll get the hometown boy. Rita and Avery were All Star hosts together. There is a relationship there already.

Thread Information