Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans interested in Kenneth Faried

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Do you not understand? If you make the playoffs next year you aren't drafting before the pick #16. How bad do some of you think we will be next season? By adding Farried you are only making your team better. Diablo will develop for sure, but it will take time, you already know AD and Manimal can play off each other.
    I think people need to think about the value 1st round picks relative to where the pick falls. If we make this trade and suck this season, and miss out on a top 10 pick, then yeah... the trade would have been an absolute failure. If this trade is done I think we can compete in the West. I'm not saying we're a title contender but we're better than the 8th seed and 1st round sweep.

You have to now build your team to beat Golden St. You can't have big slow lumbering bigs because you'll get ran out of the gym. I know Faried has his defensive issues but I think he's a little better than those numbers suggest.

Is T Jones the worst defensive PF? His numbers says he is, but I would argue that. Dante Cunningham's numbers suggest he's the pretty bad too. Put it into perspective... T Jones played with Houston, who plays absolutely ZERO defense on the perimeter. His numbers are gonna be a bit skewed due to who's guarding out front. The same can be said for Faried. Aside from Gallo out in Denver... the Nuggets don't play much defense either. And as for Dante we know our defense was terrible last year, but Dante is far from being the problem.

I like the idea of adding Faried. I don't mind sending Denver a PROTECTED 1st rounder... maybe top 10. In case we get ravaged with injuries again we'd like to at least keep our lottery pick.

as for Dante we know our defense was terrible last year, but Dante is far from being the problem.
    Following this line of thinking, what are the problems and what are the solutions, the biggest problem the Pels still have besides perimeter defense is lacking that 2 way play making wing Gentry talked about. With the guys we just signed, adding Faried to the mix will rob you of the flexibility you need to go after that 2 way wing. Not only does it clog your cap space, but you're sending out assets that you might need to trade for that wing and/or dump Asik, so it's like a double whammy locking you into this core. I'd rather keep flexibility and assets and roll the dice on Diallo becoming a Faried/Tristan Thompson type of player than lock into this core plus Faried.

Alex Kennedy mentioned on Basketball Insiders that Terrance Jones declined many other offers - the biggest one was from TOR who turned to Sully for MLE.
    He wanted to have a bigger role and play with AD AND for Gentry. Even for minimum.
    There is no way Dell will go after Faried. At least this year...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Alex Kennedy mentioned on Basketball Insiders that Terrance Jones declined many other offers - the biggest one was from TOR who turned to Sully for MLE.
    He wanted to have a bigger role and play with AD AND for Gentry. Even for minimum.
    There is no way Dell will go after Faried. At least this year...
    The first player that's taken a pay cut to come and play here?

Quote Originally Posted by Lelicans View Post
    The first player that's taken a pay cut to come and play here?
    Seriously. At the same time, he is betting on himself. I think you can also use this as an argument towards players respecting Dell. Remember when we let Seth Curry go to Sacramento last year after summer league. It was reported that Seth Curry was interested in playing time more than money. He just wanted the opportunity to prove himself. Sacramento offered him that opportunity and we told him he wasn't guaranteed minutes here. We could have had him, by all accounts we wanted him, but we weren't going to lie to him to try and get him. Although one notable poster claimed that Dell was "outfoxed" by Sacramento, I think that Dell proved that he was doing business with players fairly. If you build a reputation as not screwing over your players for long enough word will eventually get around that you are an honest organization and you can get players accepting deals where they are paid less than they would elsewhere because they trust the organization at their word. If Jones doesn't get minutes, it'd look bad to the league (not to mention AD which would be a bad look). Establishing a good business foundation where you conduct business honestly and you can reap those rewards besides having the piece of mind that you are the good guys after all. The other takeaway here is that Jones wants playing time because he is betting on himself to perform well enough to deserve much bigger than mid level contracts next year which, as Locked On Pelicans noted, is a good problem to have, whereas had he gone to a team that either wouldn't promise him minutes, or that he didn't feel he could trust that they would give him minutes, then he wouldn't be able to demonstrate why he would be worth more, costing him money in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Do you not understand? If you make the playoffs next year you aren't drafting before the pick #16. How bad do some of you think we will be next season? By adding Farried you are only making your team better. Diablo will develop for sure, but it will take time, you already know AD and Manimal can play off each other.
    Did you expect us to be picking 6th this past draft? Hell no. Had we taken that same reckless approach last year simply because we did not think we would be picking high, we would have risked losing our pick. It makes absolutely no sense to give up an unprotected first for a marginal player.

I think I would have to pass on Faried. I just don't like his size with AD. If we were to add Faried, we would almost have to keep Asik as well. I wouldn't want the bean pole Ajinca as our only true center. If we could trade Tyreke, Ajinca, and T Jones for him then yes maybe so by midseason. A Jrue, Buddy, Hill, Faried, & AD finishing lineup would be pretty sick though. I would rather add a real big like Greg Monroe though. I could roll with this depth chart:

C: Asik, Diallo
    PF: AD, Faried
    SF: Hill, QPon, Gee
    SG: Buddy, Moore
    PG: Jrue, Gallo, Frazier

On a side note after watching team USA, man I wish we would of signed Harrison Barnes. AD, Jrue, Barnes, and Buddy would of been a sick team. Add Greg Monroe to that team and we could of possibly contended IMO. I think Barnes is gonna show he's worth that money in Dallas with a bigger role. He just has the total package for a small forward. Give me Barnes over Hill & Moore all day!!!
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 08-06-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I think Barnes is gonna show he's worth that money in Dallas with a bigger role. He just has the total package for a small forward. Give me Barnes over Hill & Moore all day!!!
    I strongly beg to differ my friend. Harrison Barnes will look so lost out there in Dallas that it will look like the biggest hose job of a contract in NBA history. That contract will make gilbert arenas one look like a steal.
    I'm a grinder

Faried looked awesome for Team USA too.

Yes, what a bad idea, trading away an unprotected and unproven pick for a proven talent on a 3 year contract. Everyone points at the next years draft like it will be the greatest, and then it comes and players drop because they weren't as good as billed, or some player gets hurt, or some player doesn't come out in the draft. Sure by moving Faried for an unprotected pick might be hard to swallow now, but the "amazing" talent that you are hoping for next year, might not be worth drafting that high anyway.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I'm pretty sure I can go find history of you posting the complete opposite with draft picks.

Im usually for trading a pick for a proven stud veteran locked up for a couple of years. Faried is not a stud and no way I'm **** am I trading an unprotected 1st for him. If it put us in a position to be serious contenders sure but it doesn't. It also locks us up to another deal and limits us in FA. I like Faried and think he would be an upgrade but an unprotected 1st is to much.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 08-07-2016 at 01:47 AM.

Be my guest. Find the posts, and if they are in relation to Asik know that I wasn't a fan of Asik before we traded picks for him.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Be my guest. Find the posts, and if they are in relation to Asik know that I wasn't a fan of Asik before we traded picks for him.
    You were singing a very different tune back then:

Yes, yes, and yes.

That first rounder will be a late 20 so yeah do it. Now on to landing the sf of the future.

Yes, what a bad idea, trading away an unprotected and unproven pick for a proven talent on a 3 year contract. Everyone points at the next years draft like it will be the greatest, and then it comes and players drop because they weren't as good as billed, or some player gets hurt, or some player doesn't come out in the draft. Sure by moving Faried for an unprotected pick might be hard to swallow now, but the "amazing" talent that you are hoping for next year, might not be worth drafting that high anyway.
    So, would you trade Buddy Hield for Faried right now?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Did you expect us to be picking 6th this past draft? Hell no. Had we taken that same reckless approach last year simply because we did not think we would be picking high, we would have risked losing our pick. It makes absolutely no sense to give up an unprotected first for a marginal player.
    This! We already tried trading our first rounder for an average big (Asik). It's not like Faried is the missing piece for getting to the championship. I would rather have the cap space for a big name player and a first round pick to improve our team next offseason than trading our first pick and giving up cap space for a backup player that won't get us to the championship.

The correct answer is absolutely not.

Who knows how this draft will actually be, cause just about all the players are guys none of us have even seen dribble a basketball yet. Saying that though, I would only give up a first round pick for a really good player that plays a position other than power forward. Kenneth Faried happens to play the same position as our best player, so I wouldn't want to give up a pick for him. Then add to that that he's basically an athletic rebounder that doesn't bring a whole lot more to the table. Now I would trade a first round pick if we can get 2 good/decent players with one being a big(preferably a center) and the other being a guard over 6'6".

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    The correct answer is absolutely not.
    Exactly. Just trying to show the idiocy of trading an unprotected pick for an average player. Last year showed that there are no guarantees that a team will be better or make the playoffs.

A year ago would I have traded away the unprotected 1st for Faried? Yes. We probably would have finished with a better record, and we probably wouldn't have shut down AD . Sure he was hurt, but not enough to warrant being shut down (we just chocked up the year as loss and were tanking when AD was shut down). Injuries hurt us last year, but we laid down in a lot of games, or took ourselves out of contention. When you make a move (as would be prescribed for Manimal) you aren't doing that, as you have added incentive to win as much as possible. Also, you have more talent to work with, so winning is easier.

If we are looking to make the playoffs this year who is going to help you more, a rookie, or a proven vet? And you can play Faried and AD together. With all the talk of small ball, that is small ball (AD/Faried). I'm not sure what is so hard to grasp here.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 08-07-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Lol everyone has a difference of opinion

A year ago would I have traded away the unprotected 1st for Faried? Yes. We probably would have finished with a better record, and we probably wouldn't have shut down AD . Sure he was hurt, but not enough to warrant being shut down (we just chocked up the year as loss and were tanking when AD was shut down). Injuries hurt us last year, but we laid down in a lot of games, or took ourselves out of contention. When you make a move (as would be prescribed for Manimal) you aren't doing that, as you have added incentive to win as much as possible. Also, you have more talent to work with, so winning is easier.

If we are looking to make the playoffs this year who is going to help you more, a rookie, or a proven vet? And you can play Faried and AD together. With all the talk of small ball, that is small ball (AD/Faried). I'm not sure what is so hard to grasp here.
    What? We probably wouldn't have shut down AD because he wants hurt enough? That would have been a bad idea considering he now needs surgery and no telling the further damage we could have done playing him more. Faried alone would not have done anything to get us out of picking in the lottery. Did he change anything for the Nuggets? The team we fielded majority of the year was no better than what the Nuggets had out there. Winning is never easy in the NBA and Faried at best adding a few wins to us does what? Gets us the 12th pick? Actually no because we have that pick up for him..

Also didn't you constantly say Ryno was a luxury because he played the same position as AD? So not only are we going to be giving up a 1st round pick and tying up $ to a player for multiple years limiting our FA options but we will be getting a player who plays the same position as our best player. Sure AD can play the 5 but so could he with Ryno who you considered a luxury.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 08-07-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    I'm with UNO on that one. We tanked for that lotto placement. And yeah, insert Faried and no tanking and we for sure would have been out of the lottery.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    BI, Zion, and CJ had a net rating of +3 when on the court together. BI and Zion had a +13.4, BI and CJ had a +13.2, Zion and CJ was just +5.4.

BI and Zion worked. BI and CJ worked. It was CJ and Zion and all three together that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I'm with UNO on that one. We tanked for that lotto placement. And yeah, insert Faried and no tanking and we for sure would have been out of the lottery.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Sure we made some moves to get us as low as possible to 6. But acting like last years team was anything better because we would have added Faried is nonsense. Just say Faried added 10 wins we are still below a .500 team. What other options would we have he changing anything with Faried on our team? Run AD into the ground so he misses half of this season? We had no options but to sign DLeague players and guys of the street for a reason. Our resources were tapped out and Faried would have changed that? Like I said what did he change for the Nuggets? Sure he would be a good addition to our team but at what expense? Tying up our cap having this roster plus Faried stay around the same until AD leaves? Lose us Hield who is one of our main hopes to an exciting future? Give up any insurance we have on a bad season next year by giving up an unprotected 1st? I would still have to consider a late 1st round pick with how it ties us up limiting our options in FA much less an unprotected 1st from last season or this season coming up.

Snarky Optimistic Guy msusousaphone's Avatar
    Whoa.

That went in directions we didn't.

If you trade the lottery pick you are in a win now mode, and you are not throwing in the towel to grab a high lottery pick. If you trade the lottery pick you are doing it in order to get a player that improves your team.

Faried and Frazier last year would have been sick. Frazier was running and gunning, but everyone was too slow to keep up. Throw Manimal in there and you have a poor mans Jrue/AD. But the interesting thing with Faried that Ryno wasn't is that you can throw Faried on 3-5 and he can stay with them, Ryno was just led footed. He spaced the floor sure, but Faried can move in transition. If you want a fast paced team give me the guy who is quick footed over the guy who struggles to get up the court.

And being tied to a guy of Faried's caliber for the next 3 years would hurt us? We're people not clamoring for Harrison Barnes? That guys contract is going to be a noose that Dallas hangs themselves with, Faried's is cap friendly, and doesn't prevent you from doing anything.

But I digress. Faried nor Monrow are coming here. We all expect this to be a playoff team, so a move will come at some point, but it probably won't be for either guy.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 08-07-2016 at 11:02 PM.

Thread Information