Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RoLo back??

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Man the more I think about Rolo the more I don't want him. A lot of people are over rating him here and seem to have very short term memory on what he looked like when he was here. Asik looks like a star compared to Rolo. He has been good in Portland but I have watched a lot of their games and he got way to much credit for them winning. Media over rated him big time wanting to peg him as a Noah type player with passion when that's all he really had was passion. I'll take Smith for the difference in $ any day.
    Remember though, the guy played under Monty, not new and improved Gentry. Monty the guy that coveted classic big men but couldn't actually get the best out of them.

Rolo has never been a good rebounder regardless of the coach. Kevin Hanson was the big man coach under Monty. If AD vouches for Hanson , that's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Remember though, the guy played under Monty, not new and improved Gentry. Monty the guy that coveted classic big men but couldn't actually get the best out of them.
    Yea true I guess it's just hard to imagine but Gentry must be a better fit and if he they decide they like him he must fit what he wants obviously. He had a pretty good season under Monty and his game has obviously naturally progressed from the Suns so he mite be a good fit. I'm more open to it when I think about it that was haha

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Yea true I guess it's just hard to imagine but Gentry must be a better fit and if he they decide they like him he must fit what he wants obviously. He had a pretty good season under Monty and his game has obviously naturally progressed from the Suns so he mite be a good fit. I'm more open to it when I think about it that was haha
    Honestly in spite of my intended hyperbole to show my slight preference for Rolo I will take the cheaper option between Rolo and Asik. Neither are a big enough difference maker in this system over the other too make me dish out more money then needed. Both are likely to get 20 minutes or so a game. More or less depending on lineup.

Frankly the silence on Asik makes me wonder if we might just nab him at a cheaper rate then we all projected???

Then again he may just wind up the beneficiary of the fallback effect. Some teams flush in cap space and in need strike out and overpay for the second tier guys.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Lopez was a very bright guy when he was here and it looks like he even got smarter since he's been gone... he's a better player now and I wouldn't mind seeing him back here again....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Honestly in spite of my intended hyperbole to show my slight preference for Rolo I will take the cheaper option between Rolo and Asik. Neither are a big enough difference maker in this system over the other too make me dish out more money then needed. Both are likely to get 20 minutes or so a game. More or less depending on lineup.
    Yea when I think about it I definitely agree with that. Especially if we keep Anderson while adding a good back up center and even Smith would be very possible. I would feel very comfortable with Davis/Anderson Lopez/Smith. If it doesn't work out well with Rolo We will have Davis playing a lot of 5 anyways. Lopez would be a good guy to have to play the spot duty at center. I would much rather get a stuf 3 who can play the 4 alongside Davis then have one of the betters 5s available. I think all that does is stop us doing from what we would be best at and that's Davis at the 5.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Lopez was a very bright guy when he was here and it looks like he even got smarter since he's been gone... he's a better player now and I wouldn't mind seeing him back here again....
    This! I'm not sure how much he can get in FA. However, if he is around the same price as Asik, I would rather Robin Lopez.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    This! I'm not sure how much he can get in FA. However, if he is around the same price as Asik, I would rather Robin Lopez.
    But we cannot give him the same as we can give Asik. He would have to be cheaper (barring a S&T).

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    But we cannot give him the same as we can give Asik. He would have to be cheaper (barring a S&T).
    Isn't there a rule against doing a sign & trade where both players are immediately signed and traded? So even that might not be possible

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    Isn't there a rule against doing a sign & trade where both players are immediately signed and traded? So even that might not be possible
    Not sure, but I wasn't implying Asik for Lopez, I was suggesting the only way to pay him more was through a S&T.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not sure, but I wasn't implying Asik for Lopez, I was suggesting the only way to pay him more was through a S&T.
    Ah, yeah that makes sense.

Float names out as a leverage play for Asik contract offer.

No more than that IMO
    @mcnamara247

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

No more than that IMO
    What's the chance of him walking and fielding offers from other teams?

No more than that IMO
    While I believe there may be some level of interest in Lopez, I agree that the main purpose in the float is to leverage Asik into signing quickly at a more team-friendly number. Asik has certainly drawn interest from center-needy teams, I think he is more likely to be a fallback option for most, rather than a true target. It would be nice to have a guy who can run the floor better than Asik and is more of an offensive threat, but Asik provides the rebounding, rim protection and defense that I believe the Pelicans need given the other pieces the team has or is likely to acquire. Do the Pelicans really need significantly more scoring from their center if Davis, Gordon, Anderson, Jrue and Tyreke are healthy and playing well in Gentry's system? If they also acquire a small forward who can score and play some D, eight to 10 points a game from Asik might be plenty IMHO. When Gentry's teams have fallen short in the past, it has been due to the lack of rebounding, so I would hesitate to let a good rebounder like Asik get away in favor of a more costly guy who is not a strong rebounder.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar

No more than that IMO
    While I agree, and it's mutually beneficial on both sides to put that out there, but it is conceivable he could be a fall back. Let's face it, Asik could sign with another team today and we have no starting center. If that were to happen, I have no doubt we would make a major play for Lopez if at all possible. Maybe a three way trade that included Monroe going to Portland, who knows. We would have to do something drastic or virtually right off next season.

So the first pieces start to fall on what Centers are getting paid. B Lopez gets 20m/yr and Kanter is rumored to be getting a max contract. Looks like numbers will be even higher than expected.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Say you could get Lopez or Asik at same price.

Who do you take?
    How much higher would one have to be for you to back off?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    So the first pieces start to fall on what Centers are getting paid. B Lopez gets 20m/yr and Kanter is rumored to be getting a max contract. Looks like numbers will be even higher than expected.
    Kanter getting a max deal? Wow, Utah practically gave him away. He has shown a lot of promise on the offensive end, but a max deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Say you could get Lopez or Asik at same price.

Who do you take?
    How much higher would one have to be for you to back off?
    No offense to you, because many have put this out there, but why do we ask this question?

For the same price, the CBA says we can re-sign one of these guys and not the other. Same goes for Tyson Chandler and countless others.

Our options are our options. Now, if we want to ask if people would rather sign Asik vs. all the moves we would have to do to actually sign Lopez, I would be up to debate that. But it wouldn't be much of a debate if you actually laid that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    Lopez apparently is out as an option

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2015/07/d...ook-young.html
    thats BroLo not RoLo.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    thats BroLo not RoLo.
    Brain fart.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    No offense to you, because many have put this out there, but why do we ask this question?

For the same price, the CBA says we can re-sign one of these guys and not the other. Same goes for Tyson Chandler and countless others.

Our options are our options. Now, if we want to ask if people would rather sign Asik vs. all the moves we would have to do to actually sign Lopez, I would be up to debate that. But it wouldn't be much of a debate if you actually laid that out.
    I would say "best" case scenario is do you want Lopez, or do you want Asik and Ryan Anderson? Cause Ryan Anderson is the easiest way to get there in a trade out. And I'll take Asik and Ryan any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I would say "best" case scenario is do you want Lopez, or do you want Asik and Ryan Anderson? Cause Ryan Anderson is the easiest way to get there in a trade out. And I'll take Asik and Ryan any day.
    AND you would lose MLE if you sign Lopez with space.

Like I said, when posed realistically, it's a no brainer

Thread Information