Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Smith article on Monty Williams future

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    In the playoffs.

Do you think Poppovich would've gotten swept?
    Again, we aren't getting Pop, there aren't 30 Pop's out there, so why compare Monty to him? Carlisle managed a single win against houston, Thibs has a battle on his hands with the Bucks.

All of You go and watch Monty's press conference on pelicans.com (2 parts)

This does not sound like a coach whose job is on line.
    Monty is here next season.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    Again, we aren't getting Pop, there aren't 30 Pop's out there, so why compare Monty to him? Carlisle managed a single win against houston, Thibs has a battle on his hands with the Bucks.
    Aye, just telling you where the difference is.

In the playoffs.

Do you think Poppovich would've gotten swept?
    To be fair, the Hornets team Monty took to the playoffs his first year was supposed to have the doors blown off of them by the Lakers. We managed to win two games that series. If not for just an epic meltdown by all parties (not going to put all the blame on Monty), we take at least one against the Warriors. Sometimes, stuff just happens.

Aye, just telling you where the difference is.
    I think a child could tell us the difference between a top 3 coach ever an an average coach.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

If Thibs flames out again and gets fired, do the fans here still want him to coach this team? Don't forget, he also wants FO responsibilities. For as good as Thibs is on Def he's equally bad on offense.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I think a child could tell us the difference between a top 3 coach ever an an average coach.
    The guy asked what the difference was so I told him, thanks for the smartass comment though.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    If Thibs flames out again and gets fired, do the fans here still want him to coach this team? Don't forget, he also wants FO responsibilities. For as good as Thibs is on Def he's equally bad on offense.
    If a coach like Thibodeau can be as successful record-wise as he is in Chicago and still be wanted out, that tells me there's something wrong there. I for one would not want him over Monty, if for no other reason, I could easily seeing the team quit on him.

The guy asked what the difference was so I told him, thanks for the smartass comment though.
    No you cherry picked 1 sentence out of a whole paragraph to give an obvious answer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    No you cherry picked 1 sentence out of a whole paragraph to give an obvious answer.
    Cherry picked the question out, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we went to the NBA finals some of you would still want Monty fired. I think it is just plain hate some of you have for Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    If we went to the NBA finals some of you would still want Monty fired. I think it is just plain hate some of you have for Monty.
    ^This.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    All of You go and watch Monty's press conference on pelicans.com (2 parts)

This does not sound like a coach whose job is on line.
    Monty is here next season.
    Part 1 - http://www.nba.com/pelicans/monty-wi...rt-1-4-28-2015

Part 2 - http://www.nba.com/pelicans/video/te...015mp4-3585311
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 04-29-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    If a coach like Thibodeau can be as successful record-wise as he is in Chicago and still be wanted out, that tells me there's something wrong there. I for one would not want him over Monty, if for no other reason, I could easily seeing the team quit on him.
    This is like people that try and say stay away from Jim Harbaugh because he got canned.

The Bulls ownership are a bunch of cheap asses on a power trip. The first straw was firing Ron Adams, Thibs top assisstant, as a power play, because of an unsubstantiated criticism outside of work where he may have said something about ownership. Or at least that was the excuse they leaked. Adams is now a top assisstant with the Warriors and Kerr.

The results of Thibs speak for themselves. An eastern conference finals and despite a superstar missing the last three seasons has made the playoffs each year. Always carrying one of the better records in the league and top seeds.

Whoever gets Thibs is going to get the rare chance an organization almost never gets which is to sign a guaranteed top 5 coach with little to no risk who has a history of developing talent and maximizing that talent. A basketball pioneer.

Um, no. This is a ridiculous assertion. The people that don't support Monty don't think he can even GET us to the Finals. That's sort of the whole point by wanting a change. Come on.

Monty William's mentorship of AD and his subsequent rise to the top is exactly what I would want from my young coach when we scored anthony davis

now fix the roster

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    This is like people that try and say stay away from Jim Harbaugh because he got canned.

The Bulls ownership are a bunch of cheap asses on a power trip. The first straw was firing Ron Adams, Thibs top assisstant, as a power play, because of an unsubstantiated criticism outside of work where he may have said something about ownership. Or at least that was the excuse they leaked. Adams is now a top assisstant with the Warriors and Kerr.

The results of Thibs speak for themselves. An eastern conference finals and despite a superstar missing the last three seasons has made the playoffs each year. Always carrying one of the better records in the league and top seeds.

Whoever gets Thibs is going to get the rare chance an organization almost never gets which is to sign a guaranteed top 5 coach with little to no risk who has a history of developing talent and maximizing that talent. A basketball pioneer.
    You might be right. I just also know he has the reputation of running players into the ground. If there's truth to that, I'm not sure how our MASH unit roster makes it through a season.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    You might be right. I just also know he has the reputation of running players into the ground. If there's truth to that, I'm not sure how our MASH unit roster makes it through a season.
    It seems to be a depends on who you ask type thing about that rumor.

He clearly piles the minutes on his players in games. That is clear. It is a bit overstated and other coaches do it too. Heck we played Davis, a guy that has missed significant time every year in the league, the 5th most MPG in the league.

I have also read Thibs does try and balance this out by skipping practices throughout the year and having less intense practices at times.

I also think a lot of this concern is going to work itself out as the league has pretty much confirmed they are going to stretch the season so that a lot of these ridiculous schedule traps become mostly a thing of the past. Giving players more rest and less back 2 backs and eliminating 3 games in 4 days type stuff.

If Thibs is so great than how many NBA finals has he been at with Chicago? None. He has proven NOTHING so far. End of story. We are better off with Monty.

If Thibs is so great than how many NBA finals has he been at with Chicago? None. He has proven NOTHING so far. End of story. We are better off with Monty.

If he doesn't win this year with CLE's bad situation, Thibs will never win. He definitely won't win in the west. The same tunnel vision people have about Monty's weaknesses, they have tunnel vision about Thibs strengths totally ignoring the fact that he flames out in the spotlight.

Making or not making the finals doesn't make you a good or bad coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. But let me ask you this - How many times has he taken his team bowling after a tough loss? Can ya answer that?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Monty has basically taken this team as far as Thibs has CHI save for the one conference finals. Thibs flames out in the 1st or 2nd round consistently. Doesn't make him great in my book. In the East nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Monty has basically taken this team as far as Thibs has CHI save for the one conference finals. Thibs flames out in the 1st or 2nd round consistently. Doesn't make him great in my book. In the East nonetheless
    Bingo!
    Last edited by 4Real; 04-29-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. But let me ask you this - How many times has he taken his team bowling after a tough loss? Can ya answer that?
    Or how many times he has baked them his famous apple pie after a tough loss?

Thread Information