Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possible Off-season?

Possible Off-season?

1. Getting rid of Gordon - he is playing great so it's possible:
    a.) Maybe someone says hey, he is playing very well, and will also be a huge expiring in 2016 when Durant and other huge names hit free agency
    b.) Maybe he opts out because he is playing so well and wants to get a big contract before he gets hurt again
    c.) We acquire a first some how and use that to get rid of Gordon

2. After freeing up a ton of cap from Gordon, we go after Draymond Green. He is posting the BEST defensive rating in the NBA, this is because he is an elite perimeter defender, while also being an elite post defender. Take that, and add in his 3pt who, great rebounding, and under rated passing, this kid is a stud.

3. I'd let Asik go and go after Kosta Koufas who I think will give u the same production at a cheaper rate with the MLE.

4. Resign Ajinca, I like him as a backup big.

5. Sign Thibs, can u imagine the defense he could get out of Jrue, AD, and Draymond? Also if we kept Asik, he was the one who made Asik the elite defender he was in Chicago.

6. Use the rest of the cap space no increase bench depth with money acquired from getting rid of gordon and not resigning Asik and using the MLE on Koufas.

For example:

Jrue/Wolters or Jimmer
    Danny Green/Tyreke
    Draymond Green/Q-pon
    AD/Ryno
    Koufas/Ajinca

that team puts perfect pieces around Jrue and AD as starters and great pieces around tyreke to stretch the floor.
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 01-24-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Yeah even if Gordon keeps it up he is still a major injury risk, and we should consider moving him.

As for SF I wanna see what QPon can do as the starter before I say we should sign a big money SF. He seems like he could be our Bruce Bowen, which is all we need.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Yeah even if Gordon keeps it up he is still a major injury risk, and we should consider moving him.

As for SF I wanna see what QPon can do as the starter before I say we should sign a big money SF. He seems like he could be our Bruce Bowen, which is all we need.
    I love Q-pon, but i like him off the bench, Draymond is a stud, this would not only improve our starting lineup, but u need bench depth so it would help our backup lineup as well leaving Q-pon there IMO.

Jrue/Wolters or Jimmer
    Danny Green/Tyreke
    Draymond Green/Q-pon
    AD/Ryno
    Koufas/Ajinca

this lineup + Thibs as head coach = Top 5 defense and offense = championship!

I was looking at the FA list, and the top players I would consider:

Marc Gasol
    Kawhi Leonard
    Jimmy Butler
    Draymond Green
    Luol Deng
    Kanter
    Koufos
    Khris Middleton
    Goran Dragic
    Gerald Green
    Brandan Wright
    Bismack Biyombo
    Danny Green
    Demarre Carroll
    Paul Pierce
    Kevin Seraphin
    Tyson
    Robin Lopez
    Wes Matthews
    Tobias Harris

Gasol, Kawhi, Butler I'm not expecting to go anywhere though. There are alot of decent options at C who could be cheaper than Asik, though I'm not totally against keeping Asik. I think we could use a veteran presence (ie Paul Pierce but that's not likely gonna happen)

Wes Matthews would be another good role player to go after if we can shed Gordon

Gay, Afflalo, Monroe probably wouldn't fit here

In a couple years: Batum and Horford are UFA. Could AD convince KD to come to NO? Would we want Dwight?
    Last edited by speedyG; 01-24-2015 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    I was looking at the FA list, and the top players I would consider:

Marc Gasol
    Kawhi Leonard
    Jimmy Butler
    Draymond Green
    Luol Deng
    Kanter
    Koufos
    Khris Middleton
    Goran Dragic
    Gerald Green
    Brandan Wright
    Bismack Biyombo
    Danny Green
    Demarre Carroll
    Paul Pierce
    Kevin Seraphin
    Tyson
    Robin Lopez
    Wes Matthews
    Tobias Harris

Gasol, Kawhi, Butler I'm not expecting to go anywhere though. There are alot of decent options at C who could be cheaper than Asik, though I'm not totally against keeping Asik. I think we could use a veteran presence (ie Paul Pierce but that's not likely gonna happen)

Wes Matthews would be another good role player to go after if we can shed Gordon

Gay, Afflalo, Monroe probably wouldn't fit here

In a couple years: Batum and Horford are UFA. Could AD convince KD to come to NO? Would we want Dwight?
    I like a lot of those guys, would like our targets to be Draymond, Danny Green, Koufas, Biyombo.

What about Dragic? I think our offense could use another reliable playmaker if we lose Gordon. I dont think Tyreke and Jrue are consistent enough to lean on so much

Dragic/PG
    Jrue/Evans
    QPon/Middleton
    AD/Ryno
    Koufos/Ajinca

TBH I think this team only needs a bit of tweeking.
    To bring in considerable amount of new players in every season isn't productive.

Gordon won't be traded so I'm not banking on him being gone.
    Asik will be re-signed as the FO didn't give up a first to let him walk.

I'm hoping for:

Holiday/B-annual/Wolters
    Gordon/Evans/2015 2nd
    MLE/Q-Pon/Cunningham
    Davis/Anderson/Babbitt
    Asik/Ajinca/Withey

Obviously the likelihood of the team being as above is unlikely but all this team needs is a starting
    SF who can shore up the perimeter defence and a vet PG who can play off the ball.

2-3 seasons with a familiar core and role players will benefit this team greatly.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 01-24-2015 at 05:36 PM.

If we use cap space we won't have our MLE.

Would love for Knicks to try for big FA's, but strike out. They then take Gordon off our hands for a fake 2nd round pick and we hit the market with 18-20 mil in room after we re-sign Asik. Sign Danny Green, Demarre Carroll with that money. Then use the room exception on CJ Watson

Jrue/Watson
    D. Green/Tyreke
    Carroll/Q-Pon
    AD/Ryno
    Asik/Ajinca
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Would love for Knicks to try for big FA's, but strike out. They then take Gordon off our hands for a fake 2nd round pick and we hit the market with 18-20 mil in room after we re-sign Asik. Sign Danny Green, Demarre Carroll with that money. Then use the room exception on CJ Watson

Jrue/Watson
    D. Green/Tyreke
    Carroll/Q-Pon
    AD/Ryno
    Asik/Ajinca
    Pelicans team BBIQ would double.....

Banned

Jrue/Watson
    D. Green/Tyreke
    Carroll/Q-Pon
    AD/Ryno
    Asik/Ajinca
    IMO, and let me know yours, but if Eric keeps playing at the level he has this week, and doesn't get hurt... He WILL opt out. If he plays at this level for the rest of the year... someone is going to give him more than $15 million... (over a couple years of course). And since its all fully guaranteed... I'd definitely take a 3 year 20 million dollar deal over 1 year 15 million, if I was EG.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Pelicans team BBIQ would double.....
    My intention exactly, Time to get some smart guys and winners on this team.

We have acquired talent, but have ignored these two intangibles. This is the summer we address it hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    IMO, and let me know yours, but if Eric keeps playing at the level he has this week, and doesn't get hurt... He WILL opt out. If he plays at this level for the rest of the year... someone is going to give him more than $15 million... (over a couple years of course). And since its all fully guaranteed... I'd definitely take a 3 year 20 million dollar deal over 1 year 15 million, if I was EG.
    I disagree. Even if he maintains this exact level of play and doesn't miss any more games (both unlikely IMO), he is still a guy with an overall history of injuries that would have missed 180+ games over the past 6 years and hasn't played more than 64 since his rookie year. He won't get a heck of a lot IMO.

And you might, but I don't think any 26 yr old athlete would take 3/20 over 1/15. Maybe 3/30-35, but not 3/20.

I disagree. Even if he maintains this exact level of play and doesn't miss any more games (both unlikely IMO), he is still a guy with an overall history of injuries that would have missed 180+ games over the past 6 years and hasn't played more than 64 since his rookie year. He won't get a heck of a lot IMO.

And you might, but I don't think any 26 yr old athlete would take 3/20 over 1/15. Maybe 3/30-35, but not 3/20.
    Exactly. I just don't see Gordon opting out. Especially when, if he opts in, he will hit FA when the cap does a HUGE spike.

Still don't think Gordon will opt out. Never saw a player that's not worth 15 mill (for 1 season) turn down 15 mill for one season. But Its fun to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If we use cap space we won't have our MLE.
    Man I still don't get this CBA stuff.
    I just read it again and it still doesn't make sense.
    I thought that if you signed your own players with bird rights into cap space you could use the MLE.

But then again that's why we didn't re-sign Jason Smith.
    I guess I'll do some more study.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Man I still don't get this CBA stuff.
    I just read it again and it still doesn't make sense.
    I thought that if you signed your own players with bird rights into cap space you could use the MLE.

But then again that's why we didn't re-sign Jason Smith.
    I guess I'll do some more study.
    If Bird Rights take you over the cap, then yes you can use the MLE.

So, yes, you can re-sign Asik and use the MLE and bi-annual

If Bird Rights take you over the cap, then yes you can use the MLE.

So, yes, you can re-sign Asik and use the MLE and bi-annual
    That's what I understood.....thank God.
    However did we not own Smiths bird rights or did we just not choose to sign him?
    Do we not have Ajinca's, Babbitt's BR?

That's what I understood.....thank God.
    However did we not own Smiths bird rights or did we just not choose to sign him?
    Do we not have Ajinca's, Babbitt's BR?
    We used cap room last year to acquire contracts to trade for Asik. We had to therefore relinquish BR's on multiple guys and that also caused us not to have an MLE or a Bi-annual.

Yes, we will have a form of Bird Rights on Babbitt and Ajinca called Early Bird Rights. We are limited in what we can give them, but they will get far less than that limit on the open market, so basically, if we want to keep them we can.

I really hope we don't resign Asik.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

We used cap room last year to acquire contracts to trade for Asik. We had to therefore relinquish BR's on multiple guys and that also caused us not to have an MLE or a Bi-annual.

Yes, we will have a form of Bird Rights on Babbitt and Ajinca called Early Bird Rights. We are limited in what we can give them, but they will get far less than that limit on the open market, so basically, if we want to keep them we can.
    What about Cunningham?
    Do we have early bird rights or do you see him getting more?

Thanks Mike.

okay we all know you hate asik man give me a break He just got freed from being the back up in Chicago and then had a monster season, was a most improved player candidate. You played a ton of minutes, had monster rebounding nights and defensive efforts, and played as a legit starting center.
    Then "great news", Rockets land Dwight.

All of the great above will be gone. Of course you'll be unhappy. You has a great season, you felt great, now it's over.

Lots of teams will want him, he's legit starting center in the NBA! Not too many of those around.

look him now playing only 20 minutes nothing change

also had a monster games in the fiba world cup if you want to blame someone blame your pathetic coach or coaching staff and belive or not Even if you want you keep Asik he wont resign period.

Jrue/Watson
    D. Green/Tyreke
    Carroll/Q-Pon
    AD/Ryno
    Asik/Ajinca
    I like it, but idk if those guys will get it done closing games in the playoffs. Reke, Ryno, Jrue you never know what your gonna get from them scoring wise

What about Cunningham?
    Do we have early bird rights or do you see him getting more?

Thanks Mike.
    No - a guy needs to be coming off at least a 2 yr contract to have Bird Rights and/or have been with a team for that many years. That's why we didn't have Morrow's last year.

To re-sign DC, we would have to use: cap room or an exception

Thread Information