Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Asik + Casspi heading our way

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlife View Post
    I'm no Rockets fan but watched all the games, Casspi is a bad player. It's simple as that. You will see.
    Can't be worse than Miller or AFA, remember we are talking about a backup SF with potential spot start duty....not a huge role. If he brings to us what he brought to Houston I'd be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Marion is my ideal too. Dallas doesn't need him. They went out and replaced him. Wanna get back at them Shawn?
    The fact that Dallas got Parsons is the only reason I now feel there's even a glimmer of chance of getting Marion. I still don't know if he can see us as a Playoff team, but I'd love to get him.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlife View Post
    I'm no Rockets fan but watched all the games, Casspi is a bad player. It's simple as that. You will see.
    We will definitely see.

I've seen guys who are lifelong Texas Longhorns fans swear that Kenny Vaccaro wouldn't amount to anything. Had one of the best rookie seasons at safety I've seen in recent memory.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...-get-omer-asik

This may help with the details of the trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Casspi is not a bad player. The dude was on the All-Rookie team just 3 years ago. A career 36% shooter from 3.

And his numbers only improve when he's getting lots of run and not mired to the bench. I really think we could have done A LOT worse than this. I wouldn't be that upset with him as a fringe starter, much less our backup 3. There's no need for him at the 4 with AD/Ryno/Babbitt

Never heard one mans trash is another mans treasure? We have no SF. Casspi even if he is not good is an upgrade over what we had. A free upgrade.

I think our resident amateur bloggers will like this part

Without the late-season signing of Ely to his unguaranteed deal, New Orleans would have lacked the extra contract piece needed to make this deal happen. The Pelicans had to make the unpopular decision to waive center Greg Stiemsma to create a late-season roster spot for Ely, but that move was always done with the intent to plug Ely's contract into a significant trade to acquire a player of Asik's caliber.

Darn. I was hoping to post That Ill Mind song...oh well. Maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...-get-omer-asik

This may help with the details of the trade.
    Two thirds of the way down:

"Without the late-season signing of Ely to his unguaranteed deal, New Orleans would have lacked the extra contract piece needed to make this deal happen. The Pelicans had to make the unpopular decision to waive center Greg Stiemsma to create a late-season roster spot for Ely, but that move was always done with the intent to plug Ely's contract into a significant trade to acquire a player of Asik's caliber."

Thanks for posting that link soundwave.

A couple of quotes:

Without the late-season signing of Ely to his unguaranteed deal, New Orleans would have lacked the extra contract piece needed to make this deal happen.
    People need to think of this. If Demps doesn't do this last year, we lose Ajinca, Babbitt or Rivers. He's always thinking ahead, more than what we think the current move means.

The Pelicans had to make the unpopular decision to waive center Greg Stiemsma to create a late-season roster spot for Ely, but that move was always done with the intent to plug Ely's contract into a significant trade to acquire a player of Asik's caliber.
    "unpopular decision" literally LOLed.

unpopular decision? no

WTF decision considering the timing? yes

but it all makes perfect sense now
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    Casspi is not a bad player. The dude was on the All-Rookie team just 3 years ago. A career 36% shooter from 3.

And his numbers only improve when he's getting lots of run and not mired to the bench. I really think we could have done A LOT worse than this. I wouldn't be that upset with him as a fringe starter, much less our backup 3. There's no need for him at the 4 with AD/Ryno/Babbitt
    The Rockets need Casspi to create and be part of their offense we need Casspi to stand in the corner to shoot a open which I am sure he's capable of.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He's Israeli, so he gives AD an even deadlier bodyguard.

Or is that insensitive? Touching on the Badass Israeli trope?
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    This is true.

Excited to have an Isreali on this team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    apparently Casspi is highly disliked at the rockets.. and is very political, pissed off all his teamates.
    I've never really liked his game, and this makes it sound like I'll really hate him as person. (That's assuming his political means pro-Israel). If he's the back-up and they pick up another SF I'll be very excited though.

Either way, Dell is a genious.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Casspi will fit in good and Asik will too. I think they will gel a little faster because tyreke has played with Casspi and Casspi has played with Asik. The fast break with Casspi and Tyreke should be like second nature pretty fast as well as knowing that Casspi will cut to the corner 3 off a basline screen and not cut back door ect. Learning all those small things quick will cut down on stupid turnovers quick from not knowing how each person plays.

What is the protection on the pick?
    never assume

unpopular decision hahahaha. sadly i detected no sarcasm
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    What is the protection on the pick?
    According to reports a week ago if the pick falls anywhere from 4-19 it's their pick. If it's 1-3 or 20+ it's ours.

Would think rockets still get pick from 4-19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a few insights in Casspi from an Israeli fan

He's a pretty good offensive player, has the ability to get good shots from the 3 point line, his defense is lacking a bit though, always was. but if what the pelicans need is a spot shooter who stands in the corner and shoots the 3, he's perfect for that.

as far as the political tweets he had lately that probably got him the animosity from fellow rockets. he grew up and his parents still live inside the Hammas bombardment range (incidentally, about 5 minutes away from me), so i guess this is affecting him. but the guys political views shouldnt matter to the type of player he will be for the Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Bas View Post
    a few insights in Casspi from an Israeli fan

He's a pretty good offensive player, has the ability to get good shots from the 3 point line, his defense is lacking a bit though, always was. but if what the pelicans need is a spot shooter who stands in the corner and shoots the 3, he's perfect for that.

as far as the political tweets he had lately that probably got him the animosity from fellow rockets. he grew up and his parents still live inside the Hammas bombardment range (incidentally, about 5 minutes away from me), so i guess this is affecting him. but the guys political views shouldnt matter to the type of player he will be for the Pelicans
    I could stand to care more about what his politics are. I mean...if I moved to another country, I'd be very much pro-American. Patriotism isn't just for people who went to John Ehret...

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    unpopular decision hahahaha. sadly i detected no sarcasm
    No they're right. I teared up a bit when I got the news.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    lmao amazing

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I could stand to care more about what his politics are. I mean...if I moved to another country, I'd be very much pro-American. Patriotism isn't just for people who went to John Ehret...
    +infinity

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Ok so have all of the details come out yet? If not, what is missing?

I agree completely and whole-heartedly

but a locker room may not be the best place to talk about it... esp. if it's the ONLY thing he talks about... it could bring some animosity

Thread Information