Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: disappointed Pelican fan

texpelican

Pelicans disappointed Pelican fan

I don't know why but i just feel a tad bit disappointed in the way the Pelicans are going about this free agencey period..maybe its just unrealistic expectations i had out of our front office but i thought we would be just a little busier in the free agent chase.....i knew we weren't going after the big name free agents but at least i was hoping for any type of move that would at least get the fan base excited. don't get me wrong, i do like the pick ups of Russ Smith and Patric Young but was just hoping for a little more in terms of free agent acquisitions.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwhodat19 View Post
    I don't know why but i just feel a tad bit disappointed in the way the Pelicans are going about this free agencey period..maybe its just unrealistic expectations i had out of our front office but i thought we would be just a little busier in the free agent chase.....i knew we weren't going after the big name free agents but at least i was hoping for any type of move that would at least get the fan base excited. don't get me wrong, i do like the pick ups of Russ Smith and Patric Young but was just hoping for a little more in terms of free agent acquisitions.
    We got Asik. This has been a good off-season so far. Teams are overpaying players. We don't have the luxury of tossing money around. Still, We're good so far. A SF would be nice sure, but Asik is a great get.

Yeah you are being a bit unrealistic. IMO we still had bad contract of Eric Gordon that wasn't movable. Look the bulls are struggling to move boozer and may have to amnesty him.

With that being said. The fact that we got asik makes this a great offseason. Granted it wasn't 5-6 moves but based on channing frye getting 8 mil jordon hill 9 mil. Marvin Williams 7 million. We know that asik is a good move at his price. And keep Gordon is an okay move.

We have to trust our team can find a serviceable sf to start and play and few minutes but our core is intact.

3 solid big men and 3 guards with rivers and Russ as backups to the guards and ajinca and withey and young as backups.

It's ideal as it gets of an offseason based on our true cap. And what free agents we target ending up going for.
    The Only way to get ahead is to get started.....What you waiting for!

We didnt have money to go signing FAs like that, we got our C that we needed. a wing player, that will be used slightly isnt the end for us.
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

This is why I am sometimes such a Nazi about squashing things. People say that this is 'just a message board' and it is a place to fantasize, but this is the end result for some. We go into FA with little money and land the best C to change teams by a wide margin and people are still disappointed.

Meanwhile, the only real piece we will lose is Morrow, and as I pointed out, he was an absolute non factor when we were healthy. This should be considered a fantastic offseason, but expectations always set your level of appreciation.
    @mcnamara247

I think you had unrealistic expectations. Before FA, we thought we would get an MLE type guy (not even Marvin Williams in this market) and that's it. Instead we got Asik, a couple of promising rookies, and a TBD room exception guy. This offseason actually exceeded my expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paulwhodat19 View Post
    If we had 20 million in cap space to spend, and had this identical offseason, then I'd understand this post. You do what you can do with what you have. Dell Demps did a presser before free agency began and he even said that we wouldn't be active in signing players, but rather we'll be active with trades.

To come away with Asik was a huge get for us, and going into the draft not having ANY picks, and coming away with Russ Smith and Pat Young... I think you need to re-think this.

FA period really just started the day Lebron announced. And we received possibly the best player to change teams via trade thus far (Asik), and that came out way back on June 25th. Still SO early IMO to be disappointed. Yet if we make only minor SF acquisition going forward I'll be thrilled w/offseason gaining Asik, the return of Ryno and Jrue, and an even better AD. If healthy we have a competitive, fun team and the hopes of a '15 summer to nail down a move or two that get us in the dare I say title conversation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think we did a good job when our hands were tied .o

I've expressed my reservations about the Asik trade before but my complaints have nothing to do with how aggressive we were in free agency.
    I would have preferred other options but if you feel good about the resources we put towards Asik then I think you should walk away from this free agency feeling pretty good about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I've expressed my reservations about the Asik trade before but my complaints have nothing to do with how aggressive we were in free agency.
    I would have preferred other options but if you feel good about the resources we put towards Asik then I think you should walk away from this free agency feeling pretty good about it.
    So with the benefit of foresight, lay out for us a better offseason in your opinion that would have been realistic. I keep asking this and never get an answer. I am open minded, so I want to hear some.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I don't even think we needed a big splash in free agency. We have enough talent to help us become a playoff team, and Asik is going to be a great addition.

I genuinely like where our team is despite our poor season last year. With Asik and AD down low, plus with Ryno coming off the bench, we could be a deadly force.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So with the benefit of foresight, lay out for us a better offseason in your opinion that would have been realistic. I keep asking this and never get an answer. I am open minded, so I want to hear some.
    I think you mean hindsite, which is what you asked someone else. It isn't fair though since I proposed my answer before and you told me to wait and just be patient for what was to come after the Asik trade. So, at your and other's request I will wait until we have our final roster. I do worry that people on here are met with significant resistance when they post that they don't like something about the team than when they like it. I root for this team too. And as I've said, I don't think the Asik trade is the worst thing in the world. In fact, I really like Asik and what he can do. I just think that trading for him for our team, given our resources, and the position it put us in, was the wrong play.

As of right now, the trade for Asik has never happened. And it feels like it's not going to happen.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I think when you look at our team, starters and bench, this team is pretty loaded. Because of Asik and Smith plus a healthy Ryno, Holiday and if we don't move him Gordon its almost like getting 5 players. If this team stays as is we should be pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I think you mean hindsite, which is what you asked someone else. It isn't fair though since I proposed my answer before and you told me to wait and just be patient for what was to come after the Asik trade. So, at your and other's request I will wait until we have our final roster. I do worry that people on here are met with significant resistance when they post that they don't like something about the team than when they like it. I root for this team too. And as I've said, I don't think the Asik trade is the worst thing in the world. In fact, I really like Asik and what he can do. I just think that trading for him for our team, given our resources, and the position it put us in, was the wrong play.
    Okay, but what we do have now is the ability to know what other guys have gone for and we know that Asik will come in using cap room and not losing any real pieces. So, I think it is fair to at least put forward a course of action that you would have preferred now that most of the pieces have settled in FA.

Personally, I can't do it. Go back in time, knowing everything I know and give me 6 mil in cap space and I don't know how I could have possibly left this offseason any better than Dell has.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Tech View Post
    As of right now, the trade for Asik has never happened. And it feels like it's not going to happen.
    The Microwave Generation in Full Effect.

I do worry that people on here are met with significant resistance when they post that they don't like something about the team than when they like it
    I know this is easier said than done, but it's just an anonymous internet message board, you shouldn't take things that personally. If you have a different opinion that you feel is legitimately backed up by facts and logic, you should present it. 2 years ago Monty Haters were the unwelcome minority, today they are the majority. If you think differently, say what you think and just let your words speak for themselves. You don't have to convert people to your point of view to have a valid argument.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    I know this is easier said than done, but it's just an anonymous internet message board, you shouldn't take things that personally. If you have a different opinion that you feel is legitimately backed up by facts and logic, you should present it. 2 years ago Monty Haters were the unwelcome minority, today they are the majority. If you think differently, say what you think and just let your words speak for themselves. You don't have to convert people to your point of view to have a valid argument.
    Agree with this 100%. If people have good arguments and facts, they can thrive on the other side of the debate. But I think that is often lacking - on both sides - and then when people are met with resistance, they act like it is because everyone is a homer. When in all likelihood, your argument is just not strong enough and needs some beefing up.

Come with a well thought out premise and back it up with undeniable facts and people can't do anything but listen.

Would you be happy if we threw our name in the at for Kevin Love? We could send Gordon up to Minny and their salaries are pretty much identical. Or maybe we just get involved in a 3 or 4 team deal and somehow we pull Klay Thompson or maybe Wiggins.

Maybe we aren't done yet, it is possible that Asik might not be the only move. There are going to be many teams left out of the FA madness with LBJ going back to Cleveland, Bosh to Miami and Melo staying in NY.

I'd rather have given Ariza 8m/yr for 4 years and kept our 1st than trade for Asik.

But that is because I think AD will be a C in 2 years.

Ariza is one of the very few players that I don't think was overpaid this FA. I can't think of another move I'd rather have made over the Asik trade.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-13-2014 at 01:39 PM.

If we manage to add Asik, keep the previuosly injured core, and only lose one or two role players (a group that finished the season very strong last year) we have had a mighty successful offseason. Nobody can doubt we improved our big-man rotation even if we lose Ajinca, and that our guard rotation remains strong. We can't judge the SF situation yet, but it probably won't be a significant drop-off if any.

I don't think any Western Conference teams did better, at least so far. San Antonio did enough by signing their own guys and drafting well, Memphis picked up some shooters, and Denver drafted well for the future. I think everyone else regressed or stayed the same for next season. Especially Houston. Nobody in the Western Conference added more than one top-notch player. We added one, and will add another two solid players if our injury performance is just average instead of ridiculously horrible. We didn't need to do much other than get healthy, but instead we made one really solid upgrade. I am supremely confident our team will be entertaining and competetive, which is all I ask.

The biggest risk is the short-term nature of Asik's contract. I think he will like it here and sign on for more years when the time is right.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Disappointed? Smh

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'd rather have given Ariza 8m/yr for 4 years and kept our 1st than trade for Asik.

But that is because I think AD will be a C in 2 years.

Ariza is one of the very few players that I don't think was overpaid this FA. I can't think of another move I'd rather have made over the Asik trade.
    Even if I grant the idea that Ariza signs here for the same deal, which I don't think he would have, how could we have given it to him? I guess we could have stretched Rivers or given a team some cash to take him. But then, you have the same issue, just with the C position - A huge gap there with just 2.7 mil to fill it.

It's not a terrible alternative, but I like this one better

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    I agree. But if I were to say that the Asik move was the greatest move of the year I would have little to no disagreement. Instead, if you post that it isn't the worst, but isn't a good move, you get "you're an idiot". I don't take it personally, and I'm not trying to convert people to my opinion, but just have a conversation. Unfortunately, some people are here for only confirmation bias that the team they're rooting for is the best and any challenge to it is met not with debate but with anger and hostility. Again, I'm not taking it to heart, but it kills conversation. We're all fans, we all want the best for the Pels, but lets not lose our heads in the made-up world of sports.

Thread Information