Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Morrow just re-tweeted this

Morrow just re-tweeted this

Seems like he really wants to stay.

Only way it makes sense for him to opt in is to get his Early Bird rights next offseason. You need to be on the same team for 2 seasons to get that.

We can have a wink-wink deal with Morrow for him to opt in and then we take care of him next summer with his Early Bird rights, which would allow us to pay him up to 5.5 million for between 2 and 4 years.

Otherwise, it would make no sense for him to opt in because he can make more elsewhere.
    @mcnamara247

There is a precedent here: JR Smith opted in for just over 2 mil prior to 2012 season despite the fact that he probably could have gotten much more elsewhere. Then, using Early Bird Rights, the Knicks took care of him the following summer

Great stuff MM. That sounds like a very viable option.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'd hate to lose him after last season. Moves to fill out our bench can turn out to be lateral at best. But Morrow was exactly what we wanted. A big time 3pt shooter that'll only make us even tougher to defend when we get Ryno back.

Couple things: It is illegal and it is risky on Morrow's part

Dell cant promise him anything - that would be illegal. Dell could hint at it but would be under no obligation. What if Morrow gets seriously injured or just has a terrible year? Dell could just let him go and Morrow would have gambled away millions.

Now, Morrow could have faith that Dell will take care of him but that would be quite a gamble and Dell promising him that would not be smart - to risk severe punishment if caught for a role player.

But hey, we can dream for now

Anthony Morrow is such a huge piece to this team. He provides quality leadership on and off the court, he's an excellent scorer not just a shooter, and provides great communication to teammates. I've never seen a guy more vocal on this team since Chris Paul and David West were here. We must re-sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Dell cant promise him anything - that would be illegal. Dell could hint at it but would be under no obligation. What if Morrow gets seriously injured or just has a terrible year? Dell could just let him go and Morrow would have gambled away millions.

Now, Morrow could have faith that Dell will take care of him but that would be quite a gamble and Dell promising him that would not be smart - to risk severe punishment if caught for a role player.

jeez, idk it seems like his honest to god best option is to opt out. Just to clarify, it is illegal to talk about a contract offer before he opts in or out?
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    jeez, idk it seems like his honest to god best option is to opt out. Just to clarify, it is illegal to talk about a contract offer before he opts in or out?
    It is illegal to tell him that if he opts in that we will take care of him on his next deal. Only reason Morrow would do this is to have Early Bird rights next summer to get a bigger deal. Promising Morrow you will do that is illegal and would result in millions of dollars of fines and draft picks taken away if found out.

yikes

While I think Morrow likes it here and would give the Pelicans a chance to match offers, this is probably more information gathering than "I'm ready to resign cheap". Will the Pels offer the Bi Annual Exception ($2.1 million)? Will Demps say they have plans in the works to get under the cap and have the Cap Room Exception $2.7 million? What portion of the MLE is Demps willing to set aside for Morrow? Once he gets that info from Demps he can go shop for better offers if he wants more money.

But why then tease the not opting out part? All of those possibilities you listed requires him opting out first. I dont get why his agent would say he hasnt decided, followed by a retweet of this by Morrow himself if it was the forgone conclusion we all thought it was before today

I wonder. What is Morrow's value around the league? What is a realistic contract for him? 3yr/10M? If we get his early bird rights we can off him 3yr/15M? So for this year he'd lose about 2M dollars. So he's risking 2M to gain 5M. I don't know. It's certainly a risk. I guess it depends how much he has faith in himself. If he feels confident in his role and has never been injury prone he is placing a bet on himself that he will get paid next year.

Combined with the fact that he liked it here and has a good connection with AD I can understand him think about rolling the dice. If he really wants to be here long term and feels his role here is what he wants then maybe to him it's worth the risk.

I understand that's a lot of guaranteed money to turn down. It's got to be a really hard decision to make. To balance loving your work environment and the people around you with making the most money for your family.

Either way I won't begrudge the guy if he wants to lock up a deal. Thank you for your service. You were head and shoulders more than we expected. You deserve to make some money either with us or someone else.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I wonder. What is Morrow's value around the league? What is a realistic contract for him? 3yr/10M? If we get his early bird rights we can off him 3yr/15M? So for this year he'd lose about 2M dollars. So he's risking 2M to gain 5M. I don't know. It's certainly a risk. I guess it depends how much he has faith in himself. If he feels confident in his role and has never been injury prone he is placing a bet on himself that he will get paid next year.

Combined with the fact that he liked it here and has a good connection with AD I can understand him think about rolling the dice. If he really wants to be here long term and feels his role here is what he wants then maybe to him it's worth the risk.

I understand that's a lot of guaranteed money to turn down. It's got to be a really hard decision to make. To balance loving your work environment and the people around you with making the most money for your family.

Either way I won't begrudge the guy if he wants to lock up a deal. Thank you for your service. You were head and shoulders more than we expected. You deserve to make some money either with us or someone else.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    I think his season with us especially late in season has uped his value. I can see Char, Pistons, and OKC all going after him.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    I think his season with us especially late in season has uped his value. I can see Char, Pistons, and OKC all going after him.
    Sure. I agree. I think he will draw interest from multiple teams. I have a feeling he really likes the situation here which is what is making his decision hard. He knows we don't have the cap to fill more needed holes and sign him to the contract he deserves this year. They say money can't buy happiness. I however won't be upset if he goes for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Sure. I agree. I think he will draw interest from multiple teams. I have a feeling he really likes the situation here which is what is making his decision hard. He knows we don't have the cap to fill more needed holes and sign him to the contract he deserves this year. They say money can't buy happiness. I however won't be upset if he goes for the money.
    I agree he proved his self here as a value to the team who will get minutes. He must be weary in getting caught in the situation he did with the Mavs being stuck on the bench all season.

Even if he is free, I cant see him getting more than 2 yrs/6 mil based on past precedent.

Still, that would be 4.85 million more guaranteed than if he opted in.

I still cant see him doing it, but I also cant explain why him and his agent have made it a point to say he hasnt decided yet either. Makes no sense.

After reports of him opting out his agent clarified with a true statement, that he hasn't opted out yet and they plan to talk to Demps before doing anything official. This could be as much damage control as anything. Make sure Demps knows Pels are first choice so Demps gives his best offer which Morrow's agent will use as a floor when shopping around. The reports of him opting out did come nearly a month before he had to announce. Maybe Demps asked if he was eager to leave and this was spinning the rumor.

He is driving his value up....just like PJ Tucker is.

None of them are going to say they want to leave.

Kind of related to this thread: MM, would it be safe to assume that teams have a better idea of what the salary cap numbers will be going forward than the most highly informed NBA "insider", such as Lowe or Stein? I know it's based on revenues and the like, but it seems the NBA would keep its franchises more informed of this kind of information than it does the media or fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    Kind of related to this thread: MM, would it be safe to assume that teams have a better idea of what the salary cap numbers will be going forward than the most highly informed NBA "insider", such as Lowe or Stein? I know it's based on revenues and the like, but it seems the NBA would keep its franchises more informed of this kind of information than it does the media or fans.
    The league doesnt even know the EXACT figure at this point. Once they do, the entire league and most media members will get notified simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Not to mention Dell might not even be here in a year to hold up his end of the bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Not to mention Dell might not even be here in a year to hold up his end of the bargain.
    Dell will be here you can bet on that
    I'm a grinder

man yall are hating on dell, the dude got rid of ariza, okafor and juju for good pieces, then made a GREAT trade for jrue and got a 20-6-6 guy in tyreke for 11 mil.

he also got Ryno for 8 mil a year...

Ya he sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    man yall are hating on dell, the dude got rid of ariza, okafor and juju for good pieces, then made a GREAT trade for jrue and got a 20-6-6 guy in tyreke for 11 mil.

he also got Ryno for 8 mil a year...

Ya he sucks...
    Looked back at the whole thread. Did not see one "hate on Dell" post

Thread Information