Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Pels sign Julius Randall

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Oh no, I don't think that the tape measurements are lying, but as you say, they're taken at precisely the age at which it is most likely for them to become outdated within a year or two. So once a player has been in the league for a couple of years, asking how tall they are exactly is like asking how many hairs there are on their arms: there's an answer, but unless you're going to be the one stood there measuring it, we're not gonna find that answer out.
    Yea I wish they would make guys get measured after 4 years in the nba or something. Would be interesting to see how much they grow. When you look at AD it would be foolish to think he was done growing after his draft measurement. He had just hit like a 10” growth spurt only 2 years before. I grew 2” after my freshman year playing college football when we got remeasured in the summer. I’m sure with the freakish height these guys have many of them are growing atleast another 2”. They are just different then the normal person obviously so seeing their growth pattern would be cool. I remember them saying AD had grown after we drafted him but he personally doesn’t wanna be listed at 7’ because he thinks it’s weird.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Wow I did not realize Cousins had a 7’6 wingspan.. I was just checking out their sizes and I was surprised when I saw that. I knew he had length but not like that.
    It's the reason that even though he's a flat footed player he can still grab so many boards. You don't have to be explosive if you're just real big.

Yea I wish they would make guys get measured after 4 years in the nba or something. Would be interesting to see how much they grow. When you look at AD it would be foolish to think he was done growing after his draft measurement. He had just hit like a 10” growth spurt only 2 years before. I grew 2” after my freshman year playing college football when we got remeasured in the summer. I’m sure with the freakish height these guys have many of them are growing atleast another 2”. They are just different then the normal person obviously so seeing their growth pattern would be cool. I remember them saying AD had grown after we drafted him but he personally doesn’t wanna be listed at 7’ because he thinks it’s weird.
    Yep, it's a similar thing with KD. He's 7'0, he knows it, everyone else knows it, but he continues to be listed as 6'9 because he says that height ''sounds better'' for a small forward. I don't even know what that means.

You're right though, a re-measure maybe whenever they hit 25 would be a good idea.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Yep, it's a similar thing with KD. He's 7'0, he knows it, everyone else knows it, but he continues to be listed as 6'9 because he says that height ''sounds better'' for a small forward. I don't even know what that means.

You're right though, a re-measure maybe whenever they hit 25 would be a good idea.
    My thought on it is that if people associated him with 7'0 they'd want to know why he doesn't play in the post more.

Which is stupid as hell, because just look at Durant and know why he doesn't play in the post.

Back to Randle...I like everything in this video.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    My thought on it is that if people associated him with 7'0 they'd want to know why he doesn't play in the post more.

Which is stupid as hell, because just look at Durant and know why he doesn't play in the post.

That video is very impressive. In those three minutes, you can see him defend Embiid, Wall, Curry, and Durant, in various different situations, and give them nothing easy in any of them.

And that steal on Theis reminds me a lot of Kawhi's steals on Ben McLemore a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

He was a beast last season! Just look how good Mirotic looked at times on defense last season.. Randle is on another level defensively and will be a terror next to AD. Randle and Payton are going to be huge upgrades for this team on that side of the ball. IMO we will look like a different team defensively next season while pushing the pace even more.

That video is very impressive. In those three minutes, you can see him defend Embiid, Wall, Curry, and Durant, in various different situations, and give them nothing easy in any of them.

And that steal on Theis reminds me a lot of Kawhi's steals on Ben McLemore a few years ago.
    Yea that was really encouraging. That's evidence of what Mythrol was taking about, really being able to switch on perimeter players, especially SF's with his strength and length with enough quickness. How does that ability effect the Pels' quest for their SF?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Seeing how quick he is laterally is insane. Like what he did staying in front of Wall and Curry in crunch time.

He’ll be a 20/10 guy next year too (his numbers keep rising and our situation will suit) as well as bringing that defence and pace...I’m excited about this..
    '' We are here!!''

I want to get excited about Randle, but I feel like this is just gonna be a 1 year rental if all we can offer him is a 120% raise and we will be back at square one this time next season

Except we’ll have a tonne of cap room to play with. Next season is the one we go for broke I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by England_Hornet View Post
    Except we’ll have a tonne of cap room to play with. Next season is the one we go for broke I guess!
    This is why it’s crucial to get that SF like a Barnes or Harkless via a trade in this February's deadline using Moore and Hill.

They will have plenty of cap space to re-sign Randle and a FA PG.
    Then use birth rights to re-sign the SF that they traded for at the deadline and Mirotic.
    In 2019/20 season only Davis, Holiday, Jackson and Diallo are on the books.

Davis
    Holiday
    Randle
    Mirotic
    Barnes/Harkless
    2019 FA PG
    Diallo
    Jackson

Is a nice core!!!

I love the addition of Jewels but I'm gonna need him to change his profile pic and background. Time to retire the Lakers gear.

Quote Originally Posted by England_Hornet View Post
    Fixed it for you bud....
    Yeah can't see him leaving that Dynasty to come to a "chance of a championship" club.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I want to get excited about Randle, but I feel like this is just gonna be a 1 year rental if all we can offer him is a 120% raise and we will be back at square one this time next season
    When he plays with AD, then who knows?

Wow I did not realize Cousins had a 7’6 wingspan.. I was just checking out their sizes and I was surprised when I saw that. I knew he had length but not like that.
    The criticism on Randle coming out in the draft was that he had short arms. A 7 foot wingspan for a 6'9" player was deemed to be short and would be expected to be 7'3"-7'5". Boogie and AD have wingspans in the 7'5"-7"6" inch range.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The criticism on Randle coming out in the draft was that he had short arms. A 7 foot wingspan for a 6'9" player was deemed to be short and would be expected to be 7'3"-7'5". Boogie and AD have wingspans in the 7'5"-7"6" inch range.
    That can't be right he's a +3 wingspan. Hold on let me check. Yeah here is what draft express said about his measurements:

"Randle was criticized for much of his freshman year for a low steal and block rate, which many attributed to having short arms. He put that rumor to rest by registering a 7-foot wingspan, more than adequate for his 6-9 (in shoes), 250-pound frame, even if his standing reach leaves something to be desired at 8-9 1/2. The 6-9 250 pound Randle measured similarly to Kevin Love, who came in at 6-7 ¾ without shoes, 255 pounds, with a 6-11 ¼ wingspan and 8-10 standing reach."

I also Checked to see what the average wingspan by position was and PF is similar height to Randle with 7'1 wingspan. So he's right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That can't be right he's a +3 wingspan. Hold on let me check. Yeah here is what draft express said about his measurements:

"Randle was criticized for much of his freshman year for a low steal and block rate, which many attributed to having short arms. He put that rumor to rest by registering a 7-foot wingspan, more than adequate for his 6-9 (in shoes), 250-pound frame, even if his standing reach leaves something to be desired at 8-9 1/2. The 6-9 250 pound Randle measured similarly to Kevin Love, who came in at 6-7 ¾ without shoes, 255 pounds, with a 6-11 ¼ wingspan and 8-10 standing reach."

I also Checked to see what the average wingspan by position was and PF is similar height to Randle with 7'1 wingspan. So he's right there.
    I remember the discussion at draft time with the talking heads. I am no expert to know what is considered adequate or good, just remember the discussion.

Here is an article I found as well-

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/1/...-prospect-2013

I remember the discussion at draft time with the talking heads. I am no expert to know what is considered adequate or good, just remember the discussion.

From the article:

"In the right situation, playing next to one of those rare floor-spacing and rim-protecting big man like Serge Ibaka or Anthony Davis, Randle could be a really good player on a championship-caliber team. In the wrong one, though, drafting Randle could end up setting a team back significantly. In the NBA, the shorter your arms, the harder it is to reach your ceiling."

So with Randle seeming to be able to actually guard these smaller quick guys could we see a 3 big line up this season? Randle at the 3 ad 4 and niko 5?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The more this sits, the more I am getting more excited about randle.
    I'm a grinder

Just saw that Julius Randle averaged 19 ppg after the All-Star break last season which is very impressive. Gives you a better idea of the player we are getting. Playing next to AD along with a guard like Jrue should have a big impact on his stat line as should what will likely be an increase in his minutes here to around 32 mpg. With another summer putting in the work he did last year the kid is in line for a monster season imo. I really think he is a serious candidate for NBAs most improved player award. When you factor in everything he has going for him from natural progression to the guys around him and I have my pick for NBAs MIP. I think Randle is going to average 18-22 ppg, 9-11 rpg, and 4 apg while shooting +55% from the field. On top of his offense I think he is a top 10 defender at his position with great versatility.

I have a feeling this is the year it starts to click from the 3 point line. Just look at Dante Cunningham who couldn’t break 10% from 3 in his first 6 seasons to then becoming a solid threat from deep. With this being the only missing piece from his game I expect it to be a focal point for him this offseason. A respectable shot from 3 could really take his game to another level.

When digging deeper into the drop off from Cousins to Randle we are not losing much at all and actually could be even better. There are far more positives going for him when comparing to Cousins who just has a few with size and 3 pointer being about the only definitive skills/traits. From the start Randle is a 2 way player with position versatility on both sides of the ball. He was much more efficient scorer offensively shooting almost 10% better from the field with 56% to Boogies 47%. Cousins averaged 25 ppg, 12 rpg, and 5 apg playing 36 mpg. Randle only played 26 mpg and had he played the same minutes would have been on pace for 22 ppg, 11 rpg, and 4 apg playing 36 mpg. He doesn’t turn the ball over at a ridiculous rate like Boogies 5 TOs per game to his 3 TOs a game. He plays much better defense with the versatility to switch on just about anybody in the NBA and it not be a mismatch. All while averaging near identical numbers PER 36. Randle is also just 23 years old and will only keep getting better while Boogie is 27 and is on the way out of his prime. Even if you ignore the injury when you factor in all of this and ignore the names on the jersey it’s a no brainer to pick Randle imo.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-05-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Just saw that Julius Randle averaged 19 ppg after the All-Star break last season which is very impressive. Playing next to AD along with a guard like Jrue should have a big impact on his stat like as well. With another summer putting in the work he did last year kid is in line for a monster season imo. I really think he is a serious candidate for NBAs most improved player award. When you factor in everything he has going for him from natural progression to the guys around him and I have my pick for NBAs MIP. I think Randle is going to average 18-22 ppg, 9-11 rpg, and 4 apg shooting +55% from the field all while being a top 10 defender at his position. I have a feeling this is the year it starts to click from 3 pointer. Just like at Dante Cunningham who couldn’t break 10% from 3 in his first 6 seasons to then becoming a solid threat from deep.

I really don’t think we are losing much replacing him with a Cousins. We have a much better defender with more versatility and Randle was much more efficient shooting almost 10% better from the field. Cousins averaged 25 ppg, 12 rpg, 5 apg, and 5 TOs playing 36 mpg. Randle only played 26 mpg and had he played the same minutes would have been on pace for 22 ppg, 11 rpg, 4 apg, and 3 TOs playing 36 mpg. Just ignore the names on the back and consider both of those stat lines and it’s a no braineer to take Randle who is much more efficient scorer who doesn’t turn the ball over at a ridiculous rate and plays much better defense all while averaging near identical number
    I can definitely see him putting up a statline something like 19/10/3. I hope you're right, and it's more like 22/11/4, but I think that's probably asking for a bit much. Keeping my fingers crossed though. You're also right about the defensive issue; Cousins was lengthy and had a good knack for getting steals and tipped balls, but asking him to play consistent defense (especially on the perimeter) was never that successful, whereas Randle can do that.

The only thing I really disagree about is his three pointer. He has a little bit of a midrange, but really not much, and the release is fairly slow. I'd like to see him solidify that 15 footer before he takes the leap to the three point line, even that would be a big help.

This article was written before the combine where his wingspan measured longer than they thought. He put most of the critics to bed after measuring 7ft. He definitely does not have elite wingspan but like I said draft express has average PF wingspan at 7'1 so he's right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This article was written before the combine where his wingspan measured longer than they thought. He put most of the critics to bed after measuring 7ft. He definitely does not have elite wingspan but like I said draft express has average PF wingspan at 7'1 so he's right there.
    BUT he won't be playing pf for us so who cares how he stacks up vs power forwards? U need to lookup average height and length for centers

Regardless random has grown and looks to be at least 6'10, he'll be fine at center, I feel bad for big slow centers having to guard him

Thread Information