.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 86

Thread: This Team Looks Done

  1. #26
    The Franchise tthier2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Opelousas
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You don't have to participate in anything you don't feel is worth your time. By you posting you give credence to the exact thing you attempt to mock.
    Some people just need attention
    I'm a grinder

  2. #27
    The Franchise tthier2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Opelousas
    Posts
    1,366
    In regards to the original post yeah this team is toast. Gentry should be gone and I will eat crown forever for wanting monty gone. I don't blame dell one bit. He gets the players the best he can. Gentry is just a trash coach.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    In regards to the original post yeah this team is toast. Gentry should be gone and I will eat crown forever for wanting monty gone. I don't blame dell one bit. He gets the players the best he can. Gentry is just a trash coach.
    But who hired Gentry?

    Dell has done an alright job outside of a few contracts of bringing in the talent we need. But at the end of the day the coach he has hired hasn't worked out.

    Now with that said, a couple weeks ago we were in 6th place and and on our longest win streak in years. I'm not sure how Gentry can not get credit for that but still be blamed for how the team is performing now.

    I honestly think this falls more on AD's complete giving up. Maybe firing Gentry gives the team a temporary spark. Maybe the all star break allows AD to refresh himself and come in with a better attitude.

    I'm just not sure right now. What's clear is more needs to Change because our team has no heart right now. I feel even having Cousins just on the bench would do wonders to fire up AD. He looks like a lost puppy currently.

  4. #29
    The Franchise tthier2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Opelousas
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    But who hired Gentry?

    Dell has done an alright job outside of a few contracts of bringing in the talent we need. But at the end of the day the coach he has hired hasn't worked out.

    Now with that said, a couple weeks ago we were in 6th place and and on our longest win streak in years. I'm not sure how Gentry can not get credit for that but still be blamed for how the team is performing now.

    I honestly think this falls more on AD's complete giving up. Maybe firing Gentry gives the team a temporary spark. Maybe the all star break allows AD to refresh himself and come in with a better attitude.

    I'm just not sure right now. What's clear is more needs to Change because our team has no heart right now. I feel even having Cousins just on the bench would do wonders to fire up AD. He looks like a lost puppy currently.
    I agree and I have always felt that ad doesnt have much heart. That to me us where boogie came in. We were gonna make the playoffs witg boogie no matter what just off of talent. Now gentry is forced to really coach and it shows. This team is not as bad as it has looked since cousins went down IMO.

  5. #30
    The Franchise tthier2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Opelousas
    Posts
    1,366
    and I honestly think dell had pressure from ownership to can monty and go with the golden state offense prodigy.

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    and I honestly think dell had pressure from ownership to can monty and go with the golden state offense prodigy.
    No the firing of Monty was all Dell. But he did have the fan support and that probably played a role. The reason being that Dell was brought in after Monty in part due to Monty recommending him. Monty had a direct relationship with Loomis and that added hardship for a NBA GM trying to run the team.

    At some point it basically came down to Dell pitching them on letting him fully run the ship and bringing in a fun offense to watch and sell tickets. It probably works too if not for the injury curse on this team.

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think he is 6'10 and 3/8's of an inch.

    Not quite 6'10", not quite 6'11". Not even 6'10 and a half.

    But I think this topic deserves 20 more posts. It matters. Please....continue!!!
    Geez, McNamara. It’s like you don’t even know that pointless arguments about historical minutia are not only one of the main reasons that fan forums exist but are also a central driver of nerd culture in general! Now, if you don’t mind please return to your tent and resume sulking. The mortals have some more squabbles to settle...

  8. #33
    We need a Lou Williams type on this team. We need someone else to play pissed off and be the heart of the team. Our biggest problem is AD and Jrue are too passive as part of a big 3. Even when you think about our previous playoff run we had Tyreke who was the engine for AD. AD carried the team with his play but Tyreke is who AD relied on for his fire.

    After the talk this summer I thought this was in the past but it's clear Cousins is what AD needs to keep his head locked in. I can imagine why Gentry and probably everyone else is so frustrated right now. You have a top 5 player with enough talent to make the playoffs but your best guy just doesn't hate to lose enough. He needs that swagger that he has something to prove every night. He's too much in his own head right now.

    There is a world out there where AD becomes absolutely pissed after the Cousins injury and plays like a monster while taking out his anger on everyone in his path. I wish to live in that world.

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Geez, McNamara. Itís like you donít even know that pointless arguments about historical minutia are not only one of the main reasons that fan forums exist but are also a central driver of nerd culture in general! Now, if you donít mind please return to your tent and resume sulking. The mortals have some more squabbles to settle...
    Davis is playing way too minutes to be a center. His body can not take the physical. pounding. The Pels have worn legs.

  10. #35
    The Franchise tthier2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Opelousas
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We need a Lou Williams type on this team. We need someone else to play pissed off and be the heart of the team. Our biggest problem is AD and Jrue are too passive as part of a big 3. Even when you think about our previous playoff run we had Tyreke who was the engine for AD. AD carried the team with his play but Tyreke is who AD relied on for his fire.

    After the talk this summer I thought this was in the past but it's clear Cousins is what AD needs to keep his head locked in. I can imagine why Gentry and probably everyone else is so frustrated right now. You have a top 5 player with enough talent to make the playoffs but your best guy just doesn't hate to lose enough. He needs that swagger that he has something to prove every night. He's too much in his own head right now.

    There is a world out there where AD becomes absolutely pissed after the Cousins injury and plays like a monster while taking out his anger on everyone in his path. I wish to live in that world.
    Yeah well wishful thinking. Sad part is dude is so much more talented than cousins and doesn't have a tenth of the heart. Also doesn't help that he is made of glass. Frustrating times. I really wanted us to get tyreke again also. We have nothing but passive guards.

  11. #36

    This Team Looks Done

    This is a coaching problem. Look at the SPURS. Playing professional basketball is hard. I think AD and Niko and Jrue and Rondo need to have a long talk. I️ honestly think we will turn it around soon. AD and Jrue need to step up and they need to make Niko a weapon for us. Heís a good player and has what we need to help us win. Also, can Okafor make some kind of comeback???? He had 4 blocks and 8 rebounds in like 20min I️ think. I️ like that we added okafor. If he can give us 6-8ppg and 7-8 rebounds off the bench that would help. Especially if he can protect the rim. He is 35 and had a neck injury that kept him out of the league but heís back and heís always been a pretty good player.

    This is a possible solution. Niko learns to adjust to our team and develops chemistry with AD and Jrue. He starts hitting his 3point shots. This is very likely to happen so we can be hopeful about this. Hill comes back and provides decent defense and plays the role as one of the glue guys like Liggens to strengthen our defense. This could happen. We really donít know if it will or how much he will help at this point. Hill has the ability to score and play defense. He had several very good performances offensively last year. I️ think having him healthy on the court would really help this team because heís an athletic SF who can play defense. Is he even coming back? Whatís going on???

    Also, maybe itís a long shot but what if okafor has gas left in the tank and he plays solid ball. If he gives us rebounding and defense and hustle it could be huge.

    There is NO EXCUSE for us missing the playoffs. We should be able to do this. The key thing is incorporating Niko into the offense. If they make him a threat we will start winning and if we get help from okafor we will be fine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pelicanchamp; 02-10-2018 at 01:53 PM.

  12. #37
    I really think after cousins went down it was time for a reset.

    Let AD go before trade deadline if we were able to get Tatum, rozier, and 2 firsts. Reason I say this is because our flexibility in cap is not good, and we could have reset and still have 3 all stars on this team If D.C. Resigned.

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    This is a coaching problem. Look at the SPURS. Playing professional basketball is hard. I think AD and Niko and Jrue and Rondo need to have a long talk. I️ honestly think we will turn it around soon. AD and Jrue need to step up and they need to make Niko a weapon for us. He’s a good player and has what we need to help us win. Also, can Okafor make some kind of comeback???? He had 4 blocks and 8 rebounds in like 20min I️ think. I️ like that we added okafor. If he can give us 6-8ppg and 7-8 rebounds off the bench that would help. Especially if he can protect the rim. He is 35 and had a neck injury that kept him out of the league but he’s back and he’s always been a pretty good player.

    This is a possible solution. Niko learns to adjust to our team and develops chemistry with AD and Jrue. He starts hitting his 3point shots. This is very likely to happen so we can be hopeful about this. Hill comes back and provides decent defense and plays the role as one of the glue guys like Liggens to strengthen our defense. This could happen. We really don’t know if it will or how much he will help at this point. Hill has the ability to score and play defense. He had several very good performances offensively last year. I️ think having him healthy on the court would really help this team because he’s an athletic SF who can play defense. Is he even coming back? What’s going on???

    Also, maybe it’s a long shot but what if okafor has gas left in the tank and he plays solid ball. If he gives us rebounding and defense and hustle it could be huge.

    There is NO EXCUSE for us missing the playoffs. We should be able to do this. The key thing is incorporating Niko into the offense. If they make him a threat we will start winning and if we get help from okafor we will be fine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Totally agree, Oak should start vs MOV. tonight. Let AD roam around and cover the 3. Move him to 5 at 5min mark to rest Jrue and Oak then bring both back near 1 min for AD rest.

  14. #39
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,460
    Yep, this year is done and this team quit. I'm ready for the rebuild.
    This franchise has been killed off at least 3 times and left for dead since they moved from Charlotte. It can survive trading AD.

    1. Marshburn's vertigo.
    2. BD's Knees
    3. CP3's knees and trade

    ...Each was doom for the franchise, but not really.

    Hire Sam Hinkie and make an offer to a good young coach that's known for developing talent. Boston and Philadelphia both have assets that can kick start a rebuild. Don't take the risk of resigning Boogie. Dump Jrue and Hill if you can. Start over with young guys and hopefully a great coach. I'd take Simmons, Fultz, Saric and both of the 1st round picks Philly has this year for AD and Solomon Hill.

    I can't speak for most fans (casual fans aren't showing up and paying attention anyway), but I'd rather buy tickets and merch for a team that was fun and played hard every night while building towards something, than a group of guys who quit and seem to be looking forward to what increasingly seems like an inevitable franchise crippling moment where AD either demands a trade or plateaus as a player in his current situation.

    It's really comes back to the Boogie injury. Peak Boogie could be the Alpha superstar that AD and everyone else played off of. Boogie coming back a year from now to a team that isn't in playoff contention, coming off of a career altering injury? Nah.

    Blow it up. Blow it all the way up.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 02-10-2018 at 02:42 PM.

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Spot on assessment of Jrue and his lack of a mental toughness. Watching Lou Williams last night against Detroit made me yearn for a guard that is willing to take over a game and put a team on his back.
    I don't think it's that Jrue isn't willing because he gets after it on defense, so the effort is there. I think it's more of a capability thing on offense. I don't know if Jrye is capable of taking over a game. That's not his fault, most guys aren't capable of taking games over. But Jrye appears to have the talent to do it so people assume it's a mental toughness issue. Maybe he just isn't that guy? Which sucks because he's being paid to be one of those guys.

  16. #41
    Y'all are insane if you wanna blow it up!! AD is one of the best in the league! You can only HOPE to get a player like him! we need to keep AD re sign Boogie and make a play to strengthen our bench! This team has the talent to beat any team hell we have seen it! yeah we have had a bad stretch, but it's gonna take some time to regain our mojo with such a big piece going down for the year! We HAVE to get some help at the 5 we tried with oakafor but we need a legit starting type. Which I'm still holding out hope after the buyouts someone will want to make a playoff push here! We are blowing out a bad Brooklyn team today. Things will turn around! But you should NEVER and I mean NEVER get rid of your superstars unless you absolutely have to!

  17. #42
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Captaustin View Post
    Y'all are insane if you wanna blow it up!! AD is one of the best in the league! You can only HOPE to get a player like him! we need to keep AD re sign Boogie and make a play to strengthen our bench! This team has the talent to beat any team hell we have seen it! yeah we have had a bad stretch, but it's gonna take some time to regain our mojo with such a big piece going down for the year! We HAVE to get some help at the 5 we tried with oakafor but we need a legit starting type. Which I'm still holding out hope after the buyouts someone will want to make a playoff push here! We are blowing out a bad Brooklyn team today. Things will turn around! But you should NEVER and I mean NEVER get rid of your superstars unless you absolutely have to!
    AD's option to leave in 2 years and the contract we'll have to offer Boogie to resign him. Those are both two risky for me. Everything was going great until Boogie missed that free throw and popped his achilles. And when it becomes obvious you absolutely have to trade your superstar, that's when it's too late to get value.

  18. #43
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AusPel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,407
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    AD's option to leave in 2 years and the contract we'll have to offer Boogie to resign him. Those are both two risky for me. Everything was going great until Boogie missed that free throw and popped his achilles. And when it becomes obvious you absolutely have to trade your superstar, that's when it's too late to get value.
    Is it though? Indiana got excellent value for PG

    But yeah it is risky

  19. #44
    Since this is where we start making blanket negative statements about the team... AD has garbage body language lately especially towards Diallo, who looks like everyday in the NBA is the best day of his life. Lil' D is playing his heart out. AD has hardly cracked a smile since Boogie went down. Anyone know if we are likely to see Boogie sitting on the sides anytime soon?

  20. #45
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,460
    Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Since this is where we start making blanket negative statements about the team... AD has garbage body language lately especially towards Diallo, who looks like everyday in the NBA is the best day of his life. Lil' D is playing his heart out. AD has hardly cracked a smile since Boogie went down. Anyone know if we are likely to see Boogie sitting on the sides anytime soon?
    My understanding is that he has to keep foot elevated when he's stationary. Maybe we'd see him sitting in the owners box before the season is over, but he really shouldn't be on the bench.

  21. #46
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,460
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Is it though? Indiana got excellent value for PG

    But yeah it is risky
    In hindsight they got good value. But no one thought that was excellent value when the trade happened. Oladipo was considered an overpaid disappointment and most people said the Thunder would have won that trade even if George left because they dumped that contract. Indiana, from all reports, was looking at the PR move of bringing in a former Indiana guy and lucked into Oladipo making a giant leap.

    But if you factor in Oladipo's contract, his performance in OKC and Orlando, and an unproven rookie... the Pacers got terrible value at the time, but lucked into Oladipo increasing his PER by 10 and having a breakout year. No one saw that coming.

  22. #47
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,517
    Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Since this is where we start making blanket negative statements about the team... AD has garbage body language lately especially towards Diallo, who looks like everyday in the NBA is the best day of his life. Lil' D is playing his heart out. AD has hardly cracked a smile since Boogie went down. Anyone know if we are likely to see Boogie sitting on the sides anytime soon?
    But. It's nice to know that we now have an official nonverbal communications expert on this forum! So, there is that!

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    But. It's nice to know that we now have an official nonverbal communications expert on this forum! So, there is that!
    Well we have all the snarky retort experts covered, so I'm happy to bring some diversity to the board. Thanks!
    Last edited by SmontySwilliams; 02-11-2018 at 12:11 PM.

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    My understanding is that he has to keep foot elevated when he's stationary. Maybe we'd see him sitting in the owners box before the season is over, but he really shouldn't be on the bench.
    Thanks, that make sense. I don't know if putting Boogie in a room with Benson will help our chances of re-signing him. I miss the Fire.

  25. #50
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,517
    Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Well we have all the snarky retort experts covered, so I'm happy to bring some diversity to the board. Thanks!
    Snarky retorts in general do not require expertise. As you can see. But it is nice to finally have a human behavioral professional on this forum. Thus far, I think for the most part, they have all been faux professional human behavioral experts on this forum (except Mythrol). Can I get your professional opinion on this topic?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •