Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 111 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    And how many times did I tel you that my tolerable level for "liking" the contract was not very high? Likely below his expected payday? Been saying it plenty and for weeks. I was not opposed to letting him walk if he couldn't be kept closer in line with the Teague's and Mills of the world given his to-date performance and past issues.

Now to me it becomes a sliding scale of tolerability. I may not like a 3/75 personally but I can tolerate it more then 5/125. I can tolerate 4/104 over 5/125. Because I think those extra years are very risky. The amount of money is bad, the years make it worse and reduce our future flexibility. It seems to be a common theme with this organization though, so I am not surprised. I am surprised at people still trying to excuse it though.

So why is this a good contract?
    It's almost like you can't comprehend what I'm saying.

Again, let me be clear: I'm not arguing about Jrue's contract. I don't care what you or anyone else's opinion is.

What I am saying is if you want to hate on Dell because he signed Jrue to a deal, ok fine. People have done that plenty. But don't create false narratives that are untrue and unrealistic simply to try and increase the amount of hate you can throw at Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Wait I thought he was resigning with the Heat?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    May be a casualty if Heat land Gordon Hayward.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Agree. Everyone needs to stay on topic and stop the childish fighting.
    That's actually no good. They took the childish schoolyard brawl to the new topic. Lol. Gotta admire the versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by MG3n2K9 View Post

The Lakers are an odd suitor. Waiters has to be looking for a payday given his performance last year under a "prove it" contract. At the same time, the Lakers need to retain max flexibility to pursue two max contracts next summer. This seems like a power play to drive up his price/interest, unless his market is that dry. Given that we're only a day into FA, I doubt that to be true.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 07-02-2017 at 08:26 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It's almost like you can't comprehend what I'm saying.

Again, let me be clear: I'm not arguing about Jrue's contract. I don't care what you or anyone else's opinion is.

What I am saying is if you want to hate on Dell because he signed Jrue to a deal, ok fine. People have done that plenty. But don't create false narratives that are untrue and unrealistic simply to try and increase the amount of hate you can throw at Dell.
    These false narratives you speak of have so far been you arguing straw men.

Lets just be clear on the facts here, because comments like this:

You don't think Dell tried to get him for less money? Years? He signed a longer deal with us because he got more guaranteed money than other teams offered. That's clearly obvious.
    inject speculation as fact and these are not facts. But you are operating as if they are. Attacking others for not accepting them as such. Which seems to be the core of where things go off the rails talking to you.

- Jrue never tested the waters. Demps never let him. We offered Jrue a contract at 12:00am and he and his camp may or may not of negotiated it further with Demps in isolation, he slept on it and signed it the next day.

- He never went on the road or took visits or received an offer sheet from other teams. Maybe they had some speculation and general heresay from other organizations. Which means we can never know what the market value for Jrue would of been. At best they got some tea leaves that may or may not of been indicative of potential future offers.

- We can see what players slotted at his skill level are getting. Much like Asik, seeing what consensus players right above and below Jrue's expected skill value will give an indication of what such a market for his services would of looked like.

Given all these things it is not possible to say with any sort of certainty that Demps did the best he could, reached the absolute lowest floor he could on paying Jrue. Much like Asik, he intentionally did all in his power to avoid letting Jrue get into the thick of the market where Demps own speculation would meet reality.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    These false narratives you speak of have so far been you arguing straw men.

Lets just be clear on the facts here, because comments like this:

inject speculation as fact and these are not facts. But you are operating as if they are. Attacking others for not accepting them as such. Which seems to be the core of where things go off the rails talking to you.

- Jrue never tested the waters. Demps never let him. We offered Jrue a contract at 12:00am and he and his camp may or may not of negotiated it further with Demps in isolation, he slept on it and signed it the next day.

- He never went on the road or took visits or received an offer sheet from other teams. Maybe they had some speculation and general heresay from other organizations. Which means we can never know what the market value for Jrue would of been. At best they got some tea leaves that may or may not of been indicative of potential future offers.

- We can see what players slotted at his skill level are getting. Much like Asik, seeing what consensus players right above and below Jrue's expected skill value will give an indication of what such a market for his services would of looked like.

Given all these things it is not possible to say with any sort of certainty that Demps did the best he could, reached the absolute lowest floor he could on paying Jrue. Much like Asik, he intentionally did all in his power to avoid letting Jrue get into the thick of the market where Demps own speculation would meet reality.
    You accuse me of stating speculation as fact and yet you're doing exactly what you accuse me of.

Jrue never tested the waters based on what? It was reported he was deep in discussion with the Pacers. Is that not testing the waters?

How can you speak to how many offers he got? He does not need to be sitting face to face with someone for them to email or fax an offer sheet over.

You believe Dell gave a horrible contract and so you skewer everything to make it appear as if Dell did a horrible job. You can disagree with the contract that was given and not have to try and throw Dell under the bus. He believes he did what was best for the team. In the realistic world where Dell was always going to sign Jrue I do not see how you can try to throw him under the bus for the length of the contract.

Not when if Jrue opts out he comes off at the same time as AD.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-02-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Can we not turn this thread into a back and forth debate. Its really getting out of hand. Some of us would like to check in for any updates or info not this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    Can we not turn this thread into a back and forth debate. Its really getting out of hand. Some of us would like to check in for any updates or info not this nonsense.
    All of this.

Agreed.

I don't like not defending myself when attacked, simply for expressing my opinion within the flow of the thread, but its not fair to everyone else to let that spiral out when someone injects their agenda and I let myself get caught up. You are right.

I'll make my final response to mythrol through PM and try and do a better job avoiding the bait posters lures.

Why don't you text each other or PM each other nobody wants to see this childish crap , get on here to see updates and it looks like two teenage girls fighting about something geez stop it already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Holiday just signed with the Bulls. Two years 9 mil. I'm kinda shocked we didn't offer that for him. I hope we can get Collison on a deal like that.

That's really solid value for Justin. Makes me think we have something else lined up for someone better. Hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Justin Holiday just signed with the Bulls. Two years 9 mil. I'm kinda shocked we didn't offer that for him. I hope we can get Collison on a deal like that.
    We spent a lot of time crucifying Jrue for demanding a spot for his bro

Holy crap. I did not expect Justin to sign elsewhere.

So Jrue went from demanding the full 5 year max plus Justin getting the full MLE to getting his deal and no guarantee for Justin.

To be honest I was much more worried about giving Justin 9m/yr.

This news makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

So it wasn't a package deal, wonder if we tried to squeeze him into the Bi Annual Exception which would've given Pels the chance to use the full Mid Level Exception on Nick Young or somebody else.

Geez. What MLE targets are left out there for us?

Nick Young, Collison,

I can't think of anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

I'm glad we skipped out on him. However, I wonder if we are all in on Swaggy and Lawson or is there more out there than them? If so, Swaggy and Lawson/Collison aint going to get us in the top 4 in the West.

I'm glad we skipped out on him. However, I wonder if we are all in on Swaggy and Lawson or is there more out there than them? If so, Swaggy and Lawson/Collison aint going to get us in the top 4 in the West.
    There's still the possibility of packaging pick(s) for someone like Bledsoe or Lin or someone like that. We'll see. Dell has to have SOMETHING planned

Yeah I mean you can't make a top 4 claim without something rihht?

Things are actually happening!

And we didn't splurge for Justin!

Good stuff.

Thread Information