Pelicans Report

Page 23 of 111 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Are we that unattractive as an organization? We offer more money and more playing time, and he is still strongly considering the Warriors? Young may be a guy that just doesn't want to leave California.
    That was one of my speculative thoughts as well. Seems to love the Hollywood lifestyle so playing for GS has to be intriguing to him.

The more I have heard analysts and journalists speak about his recent behavior(positively) the more I am open to slotting Young in alongside this crew. He checks off the boxes and if he can put more effort into he defensive end, he would be a pretty solid fit.

So if we are offering Nick Young a starting role then the writing is on the wall for Etwan Moore, right?

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex23 View Post
    So if we are offering Nick Young a starting role then the writing is on the wall for Etwan Moore, right?
    Gentry liked using Moore off the bench last year. He may see him in that role again next year

I think it's more so that he has a chance to win a title with GS, and he probably wants that more than just a starting role.

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    Gentry liked using Moore off the bench last year. He may see him in that role again next year
    Yeah that would be my guess.

Moore still seems like one of the few players that could have slight positive value as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do move him at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    I think it's more so that he has a chance to win a title with GS, and he probably wants that more than just a starting role.
    They mentioned this with their round table discussion. Along with saying he is a good kid. might have spats of immaturity but he is genuinely a good guy and means well and wants to progress as a player now.

Though in our favor they also mentioned how Swaggy at 5 million would add something like 15 million in additional luxury tax. So basically Swaggy would cost the Warriors organization 20 million.....Not that I think that would really dissuade them at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    They mentioned this with their round table discussion. Along with saying he is a good kid. might have spats of immaturity but he is genuinely a good guy and means well and wants to progress as a player now.

Though in our favor they also mentioned how Swaggy at 5 million would add something like 15 million in additional luxury tax. So basically Swaggy would cost the Warriors organization 20 million.....Not that I think that would really dissuade them at this point.
    That is a really good point though.

20 million for a guy with limited minutes is pricey. But I guess they are willing to pay it if they are even having conversations with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Are we that unattractive as an organization? We offer more money and more playing time, and he is still strongly considering the Warriors? Young may be a guy that just doesn't want to leave California.
    Has nothing to do with this organization being "unattractive". You have an opportunity to basically free ride with the best and most talented organization in basketball. He may get more minutes here, but that also means more responsibility and pressure to perform.

That is not a quick decision to make.

Free Agency Thread

You flat out do not know this. Demps doesn't even seemingly know this because we made the offer before he received any others. You just don't know, period. But what we can look at is the market for PG's. Which is why I provided that chart.

What team is offering Jrue that same deal? To make your case start there.

I feel like this is the exact re-tread of the Asik year, where you made all these arguments justifying Demps method and payment for Asik, but the market started playing out in a way that it became clear Jrue would not of gotten he same deal on that open market by any other team. Setting aside the question of what is the ceiling you should be comfortable with paying True to begin with.
    You don't think Dell tried to get him for less money? Years? He signed a longer deal with us because he got more guaranteed money than other teams offered. That's clearly obvious.

Trying to say we should have done a 3 year deal with player option 4th is nice but it wasn't realistic. It was already reported Jrue had a 4 year/100m deal sitting on the table for a month plus now. Again, he wanted guaranteed money.

It has nothing to do with defending Jrue's contract. I've already stated I have no interest in opinions about it. It is what it is. My entire point this whole time has been that you trying to find fault with Dell using the length of the deal is stupid because your alternatives were never realistic.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-02-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    That was one of my speculative thoughts as well. Seems to love the Hollywood lifestyle so playing for GS has to be intriguing to him.

The more I have heard analysts and journalists speak about his recent behavior(positively) the more I am open to slotting Young in alongside this crew. He checks off the boxes and if he can put more effort into he defensive end, he would be a pretty solid fit.
    Hollywood is 400 miles away. Phoenix is as close to Hollywood as Oakland .

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Let's try this a different way.

If Jrue signed a 3 year 100m deal would you like it better or worse than what he agreed to?
    What team is offering Jrue this same deal? What makes this a good deal to begin with? How do you know this was the only path forward with Jrue?

You are setting up all these false choices that are not what my arguments pertain to. I am criticizing the process, the parameters we set as an organization and the ceiling we were willing to go to.

If 3/100 was on the table I would not be ok with it. It would be problematic for different reasons. I probably would only be slightly ok with 3/65 for that matter. But I certainly am not ok with 5/125. But I can and do have a sliding scale of what I find more or less acceptable. I would accept a slightly higher base salary for a couple less years with a player option. Because I personally find that space right before AD's contract is up very critical. And Jrue being an expiring or off the books going into that is a much better hedge then still having a year past AD's FA. The latter severely hampers the flexibility you will have and reduces your flexibility to sell AD on the franchise. If Jrue becomes what we have always wanted, it won't matter what year his contract ends because we will pay him to keep AD happy. But if he continues to tread water at the level he currently operates at, that contract is another anchor. If he gets injured again and even slightly regresses? We will be calling Hinkie in a couple seasons. That is why the extra years are so problematic to me. That and this is all for a player I am not sure moves the needle much with our situation.

What team is offering Jrue this same deal? What makes this a good deal to begin with? How do you know this was the only path forward with Jrue?

You are setting up all these false choices that are not what my arguments pertain to. I am criticizing the process, the parameters we set as an organization and the ceiling we were willing to go to.

If 3/100 was on the table I would not be ok with it. It would be problematic for different reasons. I probably would only be slightly ok with 3/65 for that matter. But I certainly am not ok with 5/125. But I can and do have a sliding scale of what I find more or less acceptable. I would accept a slightly higher base salary for a couple less years with a player option. Because I personally find that space right before AD's contract is up very critical. And Jrue being an expiring or off the books going into that is a much better hedge then still having a year past AD's FA. The latter severely hampers the flexibility you will have and reduces your flexibility to sell AD on the franchise. If Jrue becomes what we have always wanted, it won't matter what year his contract ends because we will pay him to keep AD happy. But if he continues to tread water at the level he currently operates at, that contract is another anchor. If he gets injured again and even slightly regresses? We will be calling Hinkie in a couple seasons. That is why the extra years are so problematic to me. That and this is all for a player I am not sure moves the needle much with our situation.
    This is why I said you might as well blame Dell for not trading for Lebron. 3yr/65m would be the upper limit of your acceptable range?It's clear that no matter what Dell would have done you would be upset because your expectations vs reality are extremely skewered.

Here's the thing about your argument anyway. If Jrue opts out of his deal he comes off the books at the same time as AD anyway. If he opts in he is still a 1 year expiring contract.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-02-2017 at 07:57 PM.

to answer my earlier question... Hill as a contract over Ingles as a contract all day, everyday.

and you know what Jrue as a contract over Lowry as a contract, too.

Dell is not as bad as most of you make him out to be, his biggest mistake as a GM is not letting EJ go to Phoenix. But thats what all small market GMs have to do and will continue to do.

We are a small market team, with a small market fan base, and a small market GM. I still trust the one we have and hope for the best because there are worse franchises than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Hollywood is 400 miles away. Phoenix is as close to Hollywood as Oakland .
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/04/s...tice.html?_r=0

http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/artic...photo-13031666

They are the most "buzzed" about team in the league, bar none. Most of the players already hang out in California in the offseason, but the Warriors are the new "Showtime." Everyone seems to be on their nuts.

If you are a player like Nick Young, with a history of liking the high profile, celebrity lifestyle, and now want to win chips or compete at a higher level, its not that difficult to see why GS is intriguing and why Phoenix is not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/04/s...tice.html?_r=0

http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/artic...photo-13031666

They are the most "buzzed" about team in the league, bar none. Most of the players already hang out in California in the offseason, but the Warriors are the new "Showtime." Everyone seems to be on their nuts.

If you are a player like Nick Young, with a history of liking the high profile, celebrity lifestyle, and now want to win chips or compete at a higher level, its not that difficult to see why GS is intriguing and why Phoenix is not.
    Just sayin. I wanted to be factual & I was. We both know you were talking about being In close proximity to The bright lights of LA. It's OK . But thanks for the not necessary longggg clarification. Nothing I said in my statement was false. Phoenix is as close to Hollywood as Oakland. Slick .

Quote Originally Posted by jegirouard View Post
    to answer my earlier question... Hill as a contract over Ingles as a contract all day, everyday.

and you know what Jrue as a contract over Lowry as a contract, too.

Dell is not as bad as most of you make him out to be, his biggest mistake as a GM is not letting EJ go to Phoenix. But thats what all small market GMs have to do and will continue to do.

We are a small market team, with a small market fan base, and a small market GM. I still trust the one we have and hope for the best because there are worse franchises than us.
    That's cool !

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This is why I said you might as well blame Dell for not trading for Lebron. 3yr/65m would be the upper limit of your acceptable range?It's clear that no matter what Dell would have done you would be upset because your expectations vs reality are extremely skewered.

Here's the thing about your argument anyway. If Jrue opts out of his deal he comes off the books at the same time as AD anyway. If he opts in he is still a 1 year expiring contract.
    And how many times did I tel you that my tolerable level for "liking" the contract was not very high? Likely below his expected payday? Been saying it plenty and for weeks. I was not opposed to letting him walk if he couldn't be kept closer in line with the Teague's and Mills of the world given his to-date performance and past issues.

Now to me it becomes a sliding scale of tolerability. I may not like a 3/75 personally but I can tolerate it more then 5/125. I can tolerate 4/104 over 5/125. Because I think those extra years are very risky. The amount of money is bad, the years make it worse and reduce our future flexibility. It seems to be a common theme with this organization though, so I am not surprised. I am surprised at people still trying to excuse it though.

So why is this a good contract?
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 07-02-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Shabazz Muhammad is now an UFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Just sayin. I wanted to be factual & I was. We both know you were talking about being In close proximity to The bright lights of LA. It's OK . But thanks for the not necessary longggg clarification. Nothing I said in my statement was false. Phoenix is as close to Hollywood as Oakland. Slick .
    No, I meant what I said, "Hollywood lifestyle."

You will notice proximity to Hollywood is not located anywhere in that post.

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex23 View Post
    Can we put an end to the schoolyard brawl here? Lets not make this board unbearable.
    Agree. Everyone needs to stay on topic and stop the childish fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by MG3n2K9 View Post

Wait I thought he was resigning with the Heat?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Wait I thought he was resigning with the Heat?

That's what I thought. I could've sworn he said he wanted to stay in Miami

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    That's what I thought. I could've sworn he said he wanted to stay in Miami
    Yeah I thought it was pretty much a done deal that's weird

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Shabazz Muhammad is now an UFA.
    He has made some serious strides from bust to meh.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information