Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Pelicans (3-2) vs. Cavaliers (2-3)

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    What is up with Reke and him finishing?
    Yeah it's really crazy. Two years ago he was finishing 64% at the rim. So far this season, 39%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yeah it's really crazy. Two years ago he was finishing 64% at the rim. So far this season, 39%.
    Reke has been elite his whole career at finishing at the rim. It's what he was born to do.

I'd wager he'll revert back to the mean rather than continue to lag.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    What is up with Reke and him finishing?
    Let's be real, he isn't going to have very many 2-14 games the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Reke has been elite his whole career at finishing at the rim. It's what he was born to do.

Agree.

64% isn't elite. It's good. But not elite. Take AD, 70% for his career. That's elite.

I don't think he will stay at 39%, but it is a noticeable tread that happened last year. His finishing around the rim dropped by just over 10% by last year.

The question is, how much of it is coaching philosophy? Is Monty telling him to play for the Kobe assist because on most nights we will win the battle in the paint?

He's also had a clear upswing in his assists and rebounding numbers. So maybe Monty is willing to sacrifice some of his % around the rim for a higher assist % and better overall help for the team.

It is clear however that Tyreke is upset about his performance finishing around the rim. I hate to say it but I'd even take last year's % at this point which is kinda low but still better than what we've seen so far.

Mythrol,

I could be wrong but I think Perth is comparing it to other guards. Don't bigs usually finish better at the rim? How does that 64% stack up to other guards?

Banned
    Of course. Jimmer playing bad, must be the other players on the team causing it. They prob think the guy is fine but hate his fans like all of us here.
    I'm not a big Jimmer fan so let the haters stop being so condescending. It is funny how people who don't like the guy think they are immune to the rules of decorum. I do find the phenomenon of Jimmer interesting and I do want him to do well. He is on our team.

I made and observation that I saw. I never claim to be right all the time.

I'm actually not a Jimmer hater, but just like any other player I'm going to call them out if something is off with their play. We brought him here to make 3's.....he isn't doing that. He's also shooting 28% from the field, he needs to get out of his shooting slump (which law of averages say he will) or he's hurting the team instead of helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    I'm not a big Jimmer fan so let the haters stop being so condescending. It is funny how people who don't like the guy think they are immune to the rules of decorum. I do find the phenomenon of Jimmer interesting and I do want him to do well. He is on our team.

I made and observation that I saw. I never claim to be right all the time.
    If you're looking for decorum don't come to a forum.

If you're look to be taken seriously, don't try and stay stuff like Jrue purposely avoiding shaking his hand. That's just stupid and silly.

Tyreke struggled early in the year around the basket too, i'm sure he'll polish it up soon. Lot of good from the game last night. Lot of questionable calls for them and Davis fell asleep on Love when it was a one possession game in the final minutes then Gordon's layup gaffe but other than that, good game.

The one huge difference between this year and last year that is when the going gets tough against good teams we would just fall apart and lose by a bunch once they got a lead. We stuck around tonight & it wasn't over until about the final minute. Same with Spurs game, I was just waiting for us to give that game away and we just didnt. Good sign moving forward, schedule gets easier now over the next 7-8 games

My guess is Reke isn't in game shape yet because of the summer surgery, pre season injury and too big(intentional or not). Once he get his leg back he should regain his quickest and finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    My guess is Reke isn't in game shape yet because of the summer surgery, pre season injury and too big(intentional or not). Once he get his leg back he should regain his quickest and finishing.
    Possibly. Reke seems like a guy that is out of game shape every season beginning. However it shouldn't really mess up finishing early in games.

I do think he will get better however.

64% isn't elite. It's good. But not elite. Take AD, 70% for his career. That's elite.

I don't think he will stay at 39%, but it is a noticeable tread that happened last year. His finishing around the rim dropped by just over 10% by last year.

The question is, how much of it is coaching philosophy? Is Monty telling him to play for the Kobe assist because on most nights we will win the battle in the paint?

He's also had a clear upswing in his assists and rebounding numbers. So maybe Monty is willing to sacrifice some of his % around the rim for a higher assist % and better overall help for the team.

It is clear however that Tyreke is upset about his performance finishing around the rim. I hate to say it but I'd even take last year's % at this point which is kinda low but still better than what we've seen so far.
    I fail to see how assists and rebounds are mutually exclusive with finishing consistently around the rim? In fact the three should compliment each other.
    Last edited by Perth_Hornet; 11-11-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Banned
    If you're looking for decorum don't come to a forum.

If you're look to be taken seriously, don't try and stay stuff like Jrue purposely avoiding shaking his hand. That's just stupid and silly.
    I didn't realize you were all knowing. I'll have to remember that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I'm actually not a Jimmer hater, but just like any other player I'm going to call them out if something is off with their play. We brought him here to make 3's.....he isn't doing that. He's also shooting 28% from the field, he needs to get out of his shooting slump (which law of averages say he will) or he's hurting the team instead of helping.
    He has shot 50% the last 2 games. How do shooters get out of slumps?

All I'm saying. History would tell us he will shoot better. If not dump him. He can be deactivated.

Banned
    I was really impressed with Anderson around the offensive rim. He knows there will be chances to score there.

I was really impressed with Anderson around the offensive rim. He knows there will be chances to score there.
    I was really impressed with 8 threes.

I fail to see how assists and rebounds are mutually exclusive with finishing consistently around the rim? In fact the three should compliment each other.
    The attacking style leads to Kobe assists, easy dump offs to players, and offensive rebounds.

Monty telling him to be aggressive even if he doesn't have a clean look leads to all these things. And of course, making it works as well.

Maybe Tyreke plays a little less aggressive and he doesn't get as many easy dump offs as defenders collapse on him. He shoots a better % at the rim because he doesn't attack as often and only on good looks, but our offense as a whole might not be as good.

The stats kind of back that up because this year and last he has taken his most attempts within 10ft, his mid range game is almost completely cut out and yet his attempts per minutes are basically the same career numbers. He is also averaging career high assists and our offensive rebounding has been amazing.

I honestly didn't think it was such a hard concept to understand.

I didn't realize you were all knowing. I'll have to remember that.
    Please keep this in mind for the future, if your mortal brain can handle it.

He has shot 50% the last 2 games. How do shooters get out of slumps?

All I'm saying. History would tell us he will shoot better. If not dump him. He can be deactivated.
    He has also shot 28% the last 6 games and 0% from 3, which is what he was brought here to do. History has shown us he will shoot better, so it's time he does or he's hurting the team. Then some will complain about Monty when his minutes go down.

Banned
    I don't think we disagree.

Ryan Anderson Highlights Pelicans vs. Cavaliers

I hope we don't get jobbed by the refs again tonight in favor of Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by JrueDat View Post
    I hope we don't get jobbed by the refs again tonight in favor of Kobe.
    The Lakers are very thin. Kobe can't do it by himself. The Pelicans are favored by 10.5 points.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Ryno was on fire!

Thread Information