Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Need One Piece For Playoff Push: A Head Coach

Maybe you should go for the job.
    Your idea to start Davis at the 3 sounds like a winner.

if we are taking back to the "Fire Monty thread" when we have Free Agency and SL, it is hard to imagine what kind of threads we will have in late July-August when the roster will be filled and there will be no games/training camp?

no matter of arguments, wins percentage any movement with training staff will be possible in the middle of the season (hopefully not). Today NOBODY in FO will fire anybody. so IMO there is no reason to even talk about it.

You might give some grades to Dell for his 'magic'. But Monty should have couple of months off...
    He will receive the puzzles, he will go with them to the training camp and into the season and then hopefully basketball Gods will help us with health...

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    if we are taking back to the "Fire Monty thread" when we have Free Agency and SL, it is hard to imagine what kind of threads we will have in late July-August when the roster will be filled and there will be no games/training camp?

no matter of arguments, wins percentage any movement with training staff will be possible in the middle of the season (hopefully not). Today NOBODY in FO will fire anybody. so IMO there is no reason to even talk about it.

You might give some grades to Dell for his 'magic'. But Monty should have couple of months off...
    He will receive the puzzles, he will go with them to the training camp and into the season and then hopefully basketball Gods will help us with health...
    Yeah you're right, it's a more positive time for the Pelicans so I should be more positive I suppose. However people keep talking about adding a SF and adding this and that. Well I would just like to add a Head Coach who has proven they can win 50 or 60 games. That is what I want to see added, a Head Coach. You can keep the roster how it is now and add a Head Coach and make the playoffs as a 4-8 seed. I'm concerned that this Pelicans team could miss the playoffs or barely make it under Monty Williams where as I see them making the playoffs easily under George Karl or Mike D'Antoni. We play in the West and we don't get many easy baskets and I'm legitimately worried about who will get the most minutes and the rotation. It's a very legitimate concern that isn't going away. So hopefully we stay healthy and Monty Williams can get us 50+ wins, but I wouldn't bet on it. I can just hope for the best.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 05:54 AM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    seriously I thought we got better this offseason? idk why we are trying to abandon ship
    Because we signed John Salmons, I think. It's hard to find logic in any of this.

I found just hilarious to see a guy who wants AD to play SF while giving high praises to Mike D'Antoni aka a guy who loves small-ball and would have started AD at 5 since day one.

Mind blown.
    Last edited by Blattman; 07-15-2014 at 08:05 AM.

Monty does things I can't stand but he also does things right. He learning from coach K as well. I'm interested in letting it play out.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    You sound way too confident. Some jobs definitely have to be on the hot seat. If the Pelicans get off to a poor start, I expect to see a coaching change. With the new name and brand, this team can't afford to lose. Hard to build fans and get people excited about supporting the team when you're losing and underachieving all the time. Something needs to be done to show that the team is committed to winning no matter how management feels about Monty. A change will be done if there is competence in management which I expect there is, if the team has a losing record in the first month or two in the season.
    Wanna bet?

the coach we need.... the coach we want!

Banned
    Monty got much better at the end of the year in game rotations, his biggest area. He is a player-developer coach. We have a young team. Give him a year with a good healthy team. He isn't a world-beater coach, but you don't need one to win championships (See: Miami).

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    I found just hilarious to see a guy who wants AD to play SF while giving high praises to Mike D'Antoni aka a guy who loves small-ball and would have started AD at 5 since day one.

Mind blown.
    I would be okay with AD at the 5 because we would be a fast paced offense, very difficult to guard, everyone putting up big numbers and scoring 110 PPG. Also, Ryno would be starting at the 4. And not that it is preferable but I would rather Ryno start at the 5 or the 3 then bring him off the bench because more value is lost by him coming off the bench then him starting out of his natural position by 1 in either direction. So, I don't agree with that coaching philosophy.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Banned
    But the ++ you'd get for Ryno starting at 4, is less than the -- you'd get for not letting AD play at the 4...

I would be okay with AD at the 5 because we would be a fast paced offense, very difficult to guard, everyone putting up big numbers and scoring 110 PPG. Also, Ryno would be starting at the 4. And I would rather Ryno start at the 3 or the 5 then bring him off the bench. So, I don't agree with that coaching philosophy.
    How can you be such a huge Ryno fan and yet think he can play at the 3?

Playing ryno at the 3 would be like having aminu playing at the 1. You can do it, but if the results are **** as they will certainly be well, you can't complain

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post

Yes, that guy (is that Jeff Bower?) looks like he will do just fine. When can he start?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    How can you be such a huge Ryno fan and yet think he can play at the 3?
    He can play the 3 on offense. He's at the wing all the time. He catches and shoots 3's. He can dribble enough to get to the rim. He can post up smaller players. It is not his ideal position because you want someone who is a better ball handler and who can guard all the opposing 3's but you hopefully already have two guards who can dribble and distribute well on the court, and what he will do for the team starting on the offensive side will more than make up for it.

I mean if he was starting at the 5 he would draw the opposing big man out of the paint, he already does that with the 4. Of course they could just have a 4 guard him. But I would rather be an offensive powerhouse. Make other teams adjust to us. Why do you think we should adjust to other teams, when we could do something that would make other teams have to adjust to match up with us. We should be a team that is insanely hard to defend if done the right way.

So basically, you just want to have no team fear us in the Western Conference and just get schooled by other teams who can play the style we're trying to play better than us? Is that what I'm hearing? This team could be run like George Karl's Nuggets or Mike D'Antoni's Suns and put some fear in teams when they play us. This team is just gonna try to run these slow offensive sets with young athletic players and be easy to defend. The ball movement won't even be that great. And that is what you get with a Monty Williams run squad. He'll have them playing his style alright. It's called underachieving. The players on the Pelicans are not built for a Monty Williams system. Sooner or later, everyone will realize this.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 09:26 AM.

I think Monty is a great guy, but I don't think he is a great coach. We will see just how good he is this season, but I want to let him coach out this season. If we miss the playoffs (with a healthy roster) then you show him the door. But right now there is no need to show him the door.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

He can play the 3 on offense. He's at the wing all the time. He catches and shoots 3's. He can dribble enough to get to the rim. He can post up smaller players. It is not his ideal position because you want someone who is a better ball handler and who can guard all the opposing 3's but you hopefully already have two guards who can dribble and distribute well on the court, and what he will do for the team starting on the offensive side will more than make up for it.

I mean if he was starting at the 5 he would draw the opposing big man out of the paint, he already does that with the 4. Of course they could just have a 4 guard him. But I would rather be an offensive powerhouse. Make other teams adjust to us. Why do you think we should adjust to other teams, when we could do something that would make other teams have to adjust to match up with us. We should be a team that is insanely hard to defend if done the right way.

So basically, you just want to have no team fear us in the Western Conference and just get schooled by other teams who can play the style we're trying to play better than us? Is that what I'm hearing? This team could be run like George Karl's Nuggets or Mike D'Antoni's Suns and put some fear in teams when they play us. This team is just gonna try to run these slow offensive sets with young athletic players and be easy to defend. The ball movement won't even be that great. And that is what you get with a Monty Williams run squad. He'll have them playing his style alright. It's called underachieving. The players on the Pelicans are not built for a Monty Williams system. Sooner or later, everyone will realize this.
    You got all that from me saying Ryno isn't a 3? Lol. Ok buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    Monty got much better at the end of the year in game rotations, his biggest area. He is a player-developer coach. We have a young team. Give him a year with a good healthy team. He isn't a world-beater coach, but you don't need one to win championships (See: Miami).
    See San Antonio, you do need a good coach to win it all. Who thinks Spoelstra didn't do anything and that he never found a way of balancing 3 supertars plus a few former stars in the same team, and have nobody complaining is undervaluing him and his staff. He's done a very good job in Miami.

Fans have complained about Spoelstra constantly.

tinker tinker tinker, just let what we do have alone and give it time to grow
    never assume

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Adding user to ignore list >>>>>>> getting trolled

Nah, it's actually funny. For a time

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa Brazil View Post
    See San Antonio, you do need a good coach to win it all. Who thinks Spoelstra didn't do anything and that he never found a way of balancing 3 supertars plus a few former stars in the same team, and have nobody complaining is undervaluing him and his staff. He's done a very good job in Miami.
    They didn't win it last year, or the year before. or the year before that. Great teams win sometimes, great players win sometimes. If Monty can turn AD and Jrue and Reke into great players, maybe we don't need a great X's and O's coach.

The end of the season he started to get away from some of his bad tendencies and has admitted that he's needed to change his coaching with this team in an off-season interview. Hopefully it carries into next season & isn't all talk

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post

"My City, My Heart."

Thread Information