Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Need One Piece For Playoff Push: A Head Coach

Coaching Options (renamed)

Lots of new head coaches

Derek Fisher Knicks (Never coached before)
    Steve Kerr Warriors (Never coached before)
    Lionel Hollins Nets
    David Blatt Cavaliers
    Quin Snyder Jazz
    Stan Van Gundy Pistons (President of basketball operations)
    Flip Saunders Timberwolves
    Jason Kidd Bucks

Who's available?

Mark Jackson, Mike D'Antoni, George Karl Avery Johnson, Rick Adelman (retired), Mike Brown, Mike Woodson, Jeff Van Gundy, Byron Scott, Tyrone Corbin

Why does this team feel like it's married to Monty Williams? I predict it will be another underachieving year under Monty Williams. I definitely don't see a Monty Williams team overachieving.

Mark Jackson showed improvement in each of his 3 years as Warriors Head Coach. 23-43 (66 games), 47-35, and 51-31 for 121-109 overall but he got fired.

The Pistons got who I think was the best coach on the market in Stan Van Gundy. My top 3 in order are Mike D'Antoni, George Karl, and Mark Jackson.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 01:35 PM.

no thanks

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Ryan Anderson, HC

Still haven't given up on Monty. If he truly only used 30% of his playbook last year its because the team wasn't ready. With Asik, maybe his defensive philosophies will work.

We get the team nearly constructed for the style of play for the coach and now it's time to change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    We get the team nearly constructed for the style of play for the coach and now it's time to change it.
    Exactly

I disagree. Plus, I'd think of it as advantageous for Anthony Davis" coach, to be our coach.

why don't we wait and see how the season goes before we sharpen the pitch forks
    never assume

Man the board went off the deep in today.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Man the board went off the deep in today.
    seriously I thought we got better this offseason? idk why we are trying to abandon ship

God not you again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    God not you again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Still haven't given up on Monty. If he truly only used 30% of his playbook last year its because the team wasn't ready. With Asik, maybe his defensive philosophies will work.
    If the players truly aren't ready for his playbook then maybe he should go with something easier for them to understand. The last of generating 3-point shots and the slow place at which the team plays is a major concern. The team has some good defensive players, they should be much better defensively. It is the offense I'm worried about which is almost unbearable to watch at times.

The style of play was terrible, and then so you think all the injuries, all the losses with all that talent and players not known to get injured a lot is coincidence? I think it must be the workouts or something that is getting played fatigued to the point that they're under-performing in games or at a higher risk for injury. Who knows about any of that, but the bottom line is Monty Williams system does not win enough games in the NBA. And the team should be winning more.

Please don't do this. We're not changing coaches this season. So stop.

Lol a good coach can fit to the style of play of his players. Monty Williams style of play is lucky to get an 8th seed in the Western Conference and risks missing the playoffs because players are not using their strengths.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    The style of play was terrible, and then so you think all the injuries, all the losses with all that talent and players not known to get injured a lot is coincidence? I think it must be the workouts or something that is getting played fatigued to the point that they're under-performing in games or at a higher risk for injury. Who knows about any of that, but the bottom line is Monty Williams system does not win enough games in the NBA. And the team should be winning more.
    If you role 10 dice and 5 are sixes, it's a coincidence. Do it three times in a row and there's more to it than chance.
    I've said in the past that I think there is more than just chance to all our injuries but that was happening before Monty too. I don't think it has anything to do with the head coach. There are more physical coaches, and coaches who wear on their players harder.
    I'm curious though, what exactly about the style of play was terrible though. I don't want to sound like I'm defending Monty. I don't think he's a great coach by any stretch of the imagination. I think that two of the three coaches you listed as replacements are. I just want to know what you think was wrong with Monty's style of play.

Monty has had not one, not two, not three, but four seasons.

128-184 .410

How many more years before Monty Williams becomes a .500 Head Coach? He Couldn't even go .430 over the last 4 years? Even a good coach without the best players could go .430 over 4 years.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Ryan Anderson, HC
    If there was a player coach I think it would be Kobe Bryant or LeBron James in the later stages of their career. That would be cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Please don't do this. We're not changing coaches this season. So stop.
    You sound way too confident. Some jobs definitely have to be on the hot seat. If the Pelicans get off to a poor start, I expect to see a coaching change. With the new name and brand, this team can't afford to lose. Hard to build fans and get people excited about supporting the team when you're losing and underachieving all the time. Something needs to be done to show that the team is committed to winning no matter how management feels about Monty. A change will be done if there is competence in management which I expect there is, if the team has a losing record in the first month or two in the season.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 02:15 AM.

If you role 10 dice and 5 are sixes, it's a coincidence. Do it three times in a row and there's more to it than chance.
    it's called Yahtzee :P and it is still chance.

No one could've won with the rosters we've put out on the court the last couple of years, so I don't think looking at his record tells you anything about his abilities as a HC

I've said in the past that I think there is more than just chance to all our injuries but that was happening before Monty too. I don't think it has anything to do with the head coach. There are more physical coaches, and coaches who wear on their players harder.
    I'm curious though, what exactly about the style of play was terrible though. I don't want to sound like I'm defending Monty. I don't think he's a great coach by any stretch of the imagination. I think that two of the three coaches you listed as replacements are. I just want to know what you think was wrong with Monty's style of play.

Some very questionable rotations. Being last or near last in 3's attempted might be the biggest problem. Did not utilize Anthony Morrow or the other shooters enough. I don't like how Monty always has players hedging so far up, like Ryan Anderson shouldn't be coming out so far because it's harder for him to get back, and easier for a quicker player to blow by. I've heard more than once, even players on this thread say players don't understand his playbook. That's a problem. Monty likes to play in a very controlled fashion and there is too much walking the ball up the court and calling out every single play. They should be running last season because that was their best chance to win games.

Not an expert but it's pretty easy to see the style of play doesn't fit this team and isn't going to work in the Western Conference where teams play at a quicker pace and average more points per game. I've been a fan of different teams and I've seen styles of play I think would work better with this team. Stopped watching the games midway through last season for obvious reasons. A casual fan isn't going to want to watch this Pelicans team because they don't play a particularly exciting brand of basketball even though they have all the pieces to play that way.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    No one could've won with the rosters we've put out on the court the last couple of years, so I don't think looking at his record tells you anything about his abilities as a HC
    It all boils down to two simple things for me. There are coaches that would win more games while playing a much more exciting brand of basketball.

EDIT: I'm also tired of seeing Ryno coming off the bench but I'm trying to leave my bias out of this. Also I'm actually more of a Pelicans fan now. Ryno, Russ Smith, and Jeff Withey are all three of my favorite NBA players, and since they're all on the same team, that makes me a Pelicans fan right?!
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 03:41 AM.

You don't seriously think d'antoni would be better than williams right? The guy creates disasters and catastrophes everywhere he lands and his "modus operandi" hasn't worked in the nba in something like 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    You don't seriously think d'antoni would be better than williams right? The guy creates disasters and catastrophes everywhere he lands and his "modus operandi" hasn't worked in the nba in something like 10 years.
    Please no not compare Monty Williams to Mike D'Antoni. Mike D'Antoni is an elite NBA coach. Mike D'Antoni has taken 3 different teams to the playoffs at least once. 455-426 (.516) career record. After Mike Brown got fired 10 games into the season in 2012-2013 Mike D'Antoni came in and went 40-32 and got the Lakers to the playoffs.

Put Monty Williams on that depleted Lakers squad last year. I think they win between 17-23 games. Mike D'Antoni won 27 games.

I actually believe Mike D'Antoni would win 47-54 games with this years Pelicans squad in his first year.

Keep in mind D'Antoni won 62, 54, 61, and 55 games from 2004-2008.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 04:05 AM.

Thread Information