Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans to meet with Oden {EDIT-Oden chooses Miami,P.61}

Quote Originally Posted by Delko View Post
    I'm worried about why we are the only one saying how much we offer to him, looks like we only there to increase his value...
    Dell probably leaked it to let him know that we are serious... Hopefully the rest of the teams low-balled or vet-min'd him, and he walks away thinking that we aren't just buying a lottery ticket and hoping it pans out.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    Dell probably leaked it to let him know that we are serious... Hopefully the rest of the teams low-balled or vet-min'd him, and he walks away thinking that we aren't just buying a lottery ticket and hoping it pans out.
    According to McNamara, Oden's agent made our offer public to drive up price... But this could mean he's about to sign with us if Spurs and Heat can't/won't give him more.

Yeah, if the money's close, I'm not sure he walks away from the chance at a ring in Miami. But a guy in his situation also realistically needs to make as much as possible on this contract, and the money might not be close here.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    a guy in his situation also realistically needs to make as much as possible on this contract
    He already earned $23,295,444 "playing" for the Blazers, I hope that's not enough to him so he choose money over a shot at a ring. But he might also think his career could stop whenever his knees want it to, maybe he rather getting a ring than taking money.

Quote Originally Posted by Delko View Post
    He already earned $23,295,444 "playing" for the Blazers, I hope that's not enough to him so he choose money over a shot at a ring. But he might also think his career could stop whenever his knees want it to, maybe he rather getting a ring than taking money.
    Ah, good call. I wasn't aware that he got all of that money. Well then he might be flexible here.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Bad link (on my end anyway)

The suspense is killing me

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    What do you guys expect Oden to be in this league? Chance of him becoming his old self?
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    What do you guys expect Oden to be in this league? Chance of him becoming his old self?
    I don't think he will ever be his old self. That is just too many surgeries to come back from. Like I've said before I really don't care if he can do anything offensively, for this team we just need him to be able to defend and rebound. He was the #1 overall pick for a reason (not saying it shouldn't have been Durant, just saying)

1%?

I would love to sign Oden. If healthy he's the prefect fit for the team. Especially at around 3 mil a year.

He was hurt so much that it's impossible for him to have an "old self".

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I don't think you'll see the same explosion in his jump. That's where his knees will really show IMO. But I think he could get to the point of being able to run the court the same way, and he's still a big 7 footer with good skill and timing.

Not the once in a generation #1 overall pick ahead of Kevin Durant. But a capable, defensive oriented, starting NBA center that is still only 25 years old. That's what I hope for.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If he can be a poor man's Tyson Chandler it helps us tremendously. Essentially, if he actually plays a lot of games, I have no doubts he'll benefit our team greatly. Too big and strong to just fizzle out when on the floor.

But I just don't know if he'll be on the floor. I have less confidence in Oden's health than I do in Gordon's.

Think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I don't think you'll see the same explosion in his jump. That's where his knees will really show IMO. But I think he could get to the point of being able to run the court the same way, and he's still a big 7 footer with good skill and timing.

Not the once in a generation #1 overall pick ahead of Kevin Durant. But a capable, defensive oriented, starting NBA center that is still only 25 years old. That's what I hope for.
    I don't know if he loses his explosiveness. A'mare didn't lose much athleticism if any from all his knee issues. He just can't stay healthy.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If he can be a poor man's Tyson Chandler it helps us tremendously. Essentially, if he actually plays a lot of games, I have no doubts he'll benefit our team greatly. Too big and strong to just fizzle out when on the floor.

But I just don't know if he'll be on the floor. I have less confidence in Oden's health than I do in Gordon's.

Think about that.
    I agree 100%. But that lack of confidence is still worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Think about that.
    I think the Oden vs. Gordon injury debate is really no debate. However the thing that makes Oden more attractive is 3mil vs. 14mil

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I don't know if he loses his explosiveness. A'mare didn't lose much athleticism if any from all his knee issues. He just can't stay healthy.
    I don't know. Obviously Amare got past that early knee injury pretty well. But he definitely doesn't move around like he used to now. He's also had a lot of back problems that contribute to that.

It's possible. But to me, that would be the first thing I would look to suffer. Running straight line I don't see as huge issues. But actually pushing on the floor and jumping is putting a lot of pressure on that joint. And all of those muscles and tendons have been through a lot.

Now for all I know, he's done so much rehab that those muscles and tendons are even stronger than before. You just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I don't know. Obviously Amare got past that early knee injury pretty well. But he definitely doesn't move around like he used to now. He's also had a lot of back problems that contribute to that.

It's possible. But to me, that would be the first thing I would look to suffer. Running straight line I don't see as huge issues. But actually pushing on the floor and jumping is putting a lot of pressure on that joint. And all of those muscles and tendons have been through a lot.

Now for all I know, he's done so much rehab that those muscles and tendons are even stronger than before. You just never know.
    I think because he's still young that I don't think it's a given he's lost a step or two (maybe a half step). It's one of those situations where you just have to see it yourself. It's not like Oden was a dynamic athlete and that was it. He was the prefect combo of size, strength, length, mobility, and skill. Which means even if he lost a step or two he could still help us moving forward(I know that's the consensus on this board).

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I think because he's still young that I don't think it's a given he's lost a step or two (maybe a half step). It's one of those situations where you just have to see it yourself. It's not like Oden was a dynamic athlete and that was it. He was the prefect combo of size, strength, length, mobility, and skill. Which means even if he lost a step or two he could still help us moving forward(I know that's the consensus on this board).
    It's such a crazy match with Davis. Oden at his best was essentially Anthony Davis in a true center's body. Davis being a little more guard like with his handles, but Oden having all of the big man qualities you could want. The way the both of them cover the floor and protect the rim, and the ability to switch and matchup against different positions, it really would be something to see. It's a lottery ticket, but with the chances of hitting more like scratch off odds than power ball odds IMO. While the payoff is still in the powerball range.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    ESPN just talked about the Pelicans' pursuit of Oden. Basically saying the extra year could lure him here, showed their potential starting lineup Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374254595.122157.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	5186

Sill domt see evans starting at SF
    Jrue dat

<--- that's what I'm doing at that line up
    Follow me on Twitter: @WeAreSX2

Quote Originally Posted by Smow- View Post
    Sill domt see evans starting at SF
    I don't either people are just putting the best 5 out there it seems like. If we signed Oden it'd be
    Holliday
    Gordon
    Aminu
    Davis
    Smith
    With Oden and Evans coming off the bench. Only way Oden starts if he proves he's healthy enough to play now. I think he should be eased into the lineup like how we did Gordon

Thread Information