Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    The New Orleans Yats

Unique to the city and not cliche like Mudbugs and some of the other things we're likely to get stuck with. It could also help establish a connection with the Saints to help bring in more fans: Who Yat Nation, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    always a fan of the Knights, but doesn't really have anything to do with NOLA.

NOLA Nights - old Arena team.

New Orleans Chefs

that is so lousy, I'm mocking myself.
    Actually, the old arena team was "the New Orleans NIGHT." It was a terrible name!!

Yeah, either way it was bad.

I'm a fan of the international New Orleans Hornets.
    I'm from Brazil and I write to one of Blogs on the Hornets in our country.
    http://nohornetsbrasil.wordpress.com/

Accompany the Hornets since the 90s, and when the franchise went from Charlotte to New Orleans, follow because of the name Hornets.
    As far as New Orleans Hornets went difficulties with Hurricane Katrina, but still stuck together.
    Already 10 years ago that the Hornets are in New Orleans, and must not leave.
    The team name and the city have been together, and consecrated the world, gathering a legion of fans.

The Hornets could have left New Orleans and did not do so would be a tremendous injustice to leave the New Orleans Hornets now, after so long.
    It will be a very sad day pro basketball, the bees are already known and loved worldwide.

My question: Do international fans get as offended as I do(or any local fan) when we still get called the Charlotte Hornets?

That's #1 on my list why I want a rebrand. Next, I want something indicative of New Orleans(Krewe, Brass, VooDoo).

yes
    Two weeks ago we had a discussion with a Brazilian journalist who called the Hornets, Charlotte Hornets

The Artist    Contributor   
    My question: Do international fans get as offended as I do(or any local fan) when we still get called the Charlotte Hornets?
    Funny, but you would think so? I see more people on here that follow this team strictly for either the name or it's colors. Hey, to each his own but I choose to live here, I was born here and I want this team to represent MY city! I loved MJ growing up him and the Bulls, they were my team, but I still chose to like him even when he went and played for Washington, eventually getting a chance to see him play a NOLA team, although way past his glory years!

The thing is, you follow a team for whatever reason that you want. People follow the Saints for reasons of the name and or colors or certain players, but the fact remains that a team's identity is most important to those who it has to be around the most. As much as I am in favor of the team being called 'Krewe of New Orleans', I'm willing to bet that if there is any nano chance of an inkling that the higher up's in Utah would be willing to deal that name, Benson (being the car salesman he was/is) wouldn't jump at the chance!

If by some miracle he makes an announcement tomorrow that not only has the Saints signed Drew Brees to a 6yr, 112mil, contract but in the process of our sleeping, managed to persuade Utah to sell/swap the name Jazz back to New Orleans....this city would go ape****!

the New Orleans Hot Five!! It's Louis Armstrong's first major band, and it also sounds kind of like the hot boys. Here's a link to some Hot Five history.
    http://www.redhotjazz.com/hot5.html

The Artist    Contributor   
    Ok, here is what I have been working on if the Hornets name/brand were to ever make it back to Charlotte. This concept ties in elements from their past, a bit of their time here, and eventually what I think the franchise might have evolved into had Shinn never taken the Hornets identity with him here.

Jersey Construction: When the Bobcats updated their look a few years back, themselves re-instating the use of pinstripes, I thought their new image was even better than their original product. The one thing that always stuck out to me was the original collar design and how it started out of nowhere and formed into a point at the base of the neck. It stuck out because it looked very similar to the stripes on Hugo's stinger and I thought that it would be really cool to see it if the chance were given. Well, it possibly will be.

Like it or not, and to the others who have tried (Chicago, Indy) pinstripes belong in and to Charlotte. I made them silver in both my home and away set because both teal and purple are considered 'heavy' colors. Even with the usage of white, the silver IMO just adds a nicer touch, a sort of bridge between the two darker colors that are both in the same color range of blue.

By making the pinstripes silver it allows for a better flow into the side panels which feature a honeycomb pattern, obviously a nod to the teams name. The honeycomb pattern is also placed back into the soles of Hugo's shoes as they were taken away during his last inception.
    Another reason for making them silver is that it not only updates the set and modernizes it, it allows for the team to wear a throwback to the uniforms worn during their best years of Mourning, Bouges and Johnson.

The Font: I loved the font the team switched to when they first moved here from Charlotte. The sharp edges coinsided very nicely with the overall theme of a bee, sharp stinger and their secondary logo at the time which I also brought back, a letter 'H' within a single honeycomb design. The font I chose lends itsself nicely to both qualities of sharp edges and rounded corners. A simple, yet stunning look when outlined and layered upon their respective colors.

Logo: Plain and simple, Hugo is an NBA icon! Although he lost his 'kidiness' during his last re-vamp, I have come to like his smug little grin that was given to him. Without going through a complete turnaround, I think that his new image is significant enough with the tweaks that I made, namely making his hands/gloves white, arms and legs teal, his honeycomb shoes and the secondary 'H' logo across his chest, to carry back over into the Charlotte area. This along with his original orange basketball, makes him look like the Hugo that their fans grew to love.

The Message: Inside the collar of the jersey, I took a page from the Nike handbook and opted to design a team message bar that reads "Beelieve". I think it would be a nice catch on for teams in the NBA as it has been for the NCAA and soon NFL.

And here is a court design for good measure!

The charlotte hornets like they were are dead (it's corpse is still the backbone of this team wether you like it or not). Just turning back the clock doesn't work, especially not with that mess of a franchise that Jordan is building.

That being said, I really like the names 'Brass' and 'Voodoo' for a namechange, the 'krewe' sounds a little odd to me (I know this is a NO thing, but you're just going to have numerous people writing the name wrong and that will be just as annoying as the NO Hornets being portrayed as being located in Charlotte). Brass & Voodoo sound like excellent connections to the city but I don't know what the current situation with those name is.

Btw, why not the NO Unibrows, then Stern will have no choice but to give us the N1 pick
    Last edited by Sengir; 04-14-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Personally, I would rather not see Brass or Voodoo since they've already been used in the city. I think its best if the team uses its own original name.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

been checking out the forum for a while now and decided to sign up --

possible names ------ CrawGators
    River Bandits
    Bayou (Bayoux??)
    Rhythm

I posted this a few months ago, but what about changing it to the New Orleans Horns? Its close to Hornets, but more New Orleans.

BigDub...I think I love you.
    We Beelieve: Charlotte...Take Back Your Hornets! links:

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Bee...2320741?ref=ts

Petition:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/we-b...se-the-hornets

Not scientific by any stretch of the imagination...but pretty overwhelming:

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...s_hornets.html

As of this post, 86.76% to 13.24% in favor of a rebrand.

Big Dub, you gotta repost all of your concepts for all the different names. I can't see anything but Breakers anymore.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I'm liking the Brass alot, partly because I havn't seen anyone hate it. The Krewe is a cool name IMO but it seems very hit or miss. You seem to either love it or hate it, whereas the Brass it seems like everyone atleast likes it, and no one hates it.

New Orleans Easy Riders
    New Orleans Beads
    New Orleans Jesters - Apparently there's already a soccer team named Jesters in NOLA.

Hornets Loyalist since '91 Hornets85's Avatar
    I'm going to have to join Hornet78's movement and cast my vote for New Orleans Arc Angels.
    God is a Hornets fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets85 View Post
    I'm going to have to join Hornet78's movement and cast my vote for New Orleans Arc Angels.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    New Orleans Knights would be straight PIMP. However, it wouldn't do much for the whole local brand thing. You could make the colors purple and gold and the logo a knight holding a shield with a fleur de lee on it. Secondary logo could be kinda like one of those crest things.... Puttin way too much thought into something that wont happen
    Now that you put it that way...It could possibly work man. I wouldn't mind seeing how it could possibly look.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

I could live happily with Knights. NOLA flag colors or we could go for more of a Quebec Nordiques look, which would be mighty HOT!

Knights is gaining momentum with me. I think it vaguely ties into the Saints... maybe? lol who am I kidding.. It would just be a sick looking jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    If by some miracle he makes an announcement tomorrow that not only has the Saints signed Drew Brees to a 6yr, 112mil, contract but in the process of our sleeping, managed to persuade Utah to sell/swap the name Jazz back to New Orleans....this city would go ape****!
    The merchandise sales alone would go ape**** around here if they brought back the Jazz name, colors, and logo. Much more than something new that would take some time to get used to. Same for Charlotte if they were to get their Hornets back . I'd also think it would boost in Utah if they were allowed to vote on something more representative of their state.

I think the NBA should do it all in phases over a number of years. New Orleans Jazz/Utah ??? rebrand, then Charlotte buys back their Hornets.

Thats the best, most monetarily lucrative option to me for all cities involved.
    Last edited by luckyman; 04-14-2012 at 04:13 PM.

I remember at one time hearing a rumor that back when the league was expanding to 30 teams with the new Charlotte franchise there was discussions about a "name-swap" involving New Orleans, Utah, and Charlotte.

The new Charlotte team would become the Hornets, who had left only a few seasons before for NOLA.
    New Orleans would get the Jazz name back.
    Charlotte and New Orleans would split the cost of rebranding for Utah, who was free to pick their new name and do a complete rebrand.

If I remember the rumor correctly, it was Shinn that pulled out of the deal, and the new Charlotte team became the Bobcats and the Hornets and Jazz remained in New Orleans and SLC.

Does anyone else remember that story?

Thread Information