Speaking of, I wonder how many New Orleanians will make the trip to Jacksonville. Hard to imagine that’s one that people have circled on their calendars, but I’ve never been so I shouldn’t judge. I have been to Los Angeles, however, and there’s lots to do there. Like hang out with Vikings or go Jaguar hunting. Maybe Charger something?
So you know, I have no beef with Houston sports. I would easily root for the Texans in a Superbowl we’re not in. The Rockets are way more likeable than the Mavericks and Spurs and don’t forget the Astros played in the Superdome a couple of times back in the day. The comedy scene is on the rise and their skyline is decent. In my book, that makes for an a-okay place on the map. That said, “Houdat” (their version of “Who Dat”) is a smelly word vomit simmering in the hot hot sun. “Houdat” is all like, how dare you. “Houdat” makes me mad and judging by all the Who Dats on the Twitters Sunday afternoon, I ain’t alone. I suppose that means “Houdat” is a success. Taunts are supposed to rile up your enemies, so yeah, kudos, Houston. But you still get way too excited for first downs.
– Biking to Championship Square is becoming a game day tradition, as long as I don’t get hit by a car desperately looking for a parking spot. If you haven’t checked it out, you really should. I haven’t eaten the food yet (but it seems decent) and I haven’t stuck around for an entire game (but that seems like it would be fun).
– By the way, I’m really hoping the Voodoo win the Arenabowl next year (it’s being played in Nola) to see if the minds behind Championship Square acknowledge such a thing. It should probably replace Michael Jordan’s NCAA Title, right? I’m pretty serious about this. Until Joe Gerrity reveals Voodoo247 I’m going to have to be content with Voodoo cameos on Saints247.
– I stopped at Capdeville before the game for a quick bite and attendance was weak. The bartender says that they do really well pre- and post-game as most of their clientele has tickets. If you want to be close-ish to the Dome, better than most bar food and good looking atmosphere with little crowd, try watching a game at Capdeville. Now you know, babe.
Game observations, bullet point style:
– For the game itself, I ended up at Tracey’s. The tips some jabronies left on Foursquare are pretty inaccurate, as the majority of the screens were on the Saints. A good, packed crowd of fans who do the Who Dat chant after every score (something that, surpringly, doesn’t happen at all bars) and enough bartenders present and recommending pitchers so the lines don’t get clogged.
– There was one fan in Texans gear near me and when Reggie Bush fumbled in the Dolphins game he made a 2006 draft comment about Mario Williams and Houston “being right.” Congrats, guy in Texans hat! We still won the Superbowl!
– Some weirdo made an attempt to play Golden Tee during the game. In front of a low hanging projector screen. In the 4th quarter. The drunk guy next to me was all, “ares youserus? You gotsa play Golden Teeth right noww?” I’m glad he said it and not me. The golfer crouched down, insinuating he was going to play from near the ground and then gave up and walked away. Crisis averted.
– A girl had on a Mark Ingram jersey shirt with “Roll Dat” on the back. This is clearly a better choice than “Who Tide”, so props to her.
– I think Darren Sproles and Jimmy Graham would defeat Reggie Bush and Jeremy Shockey in any sort of 2-on-2 competition. Steel cage, NBA Jam and everything in between.
– On the post game radio show someone called in and said “Everything is bigger in Texas, huh? Well, not the Big Easy, we’re bigger.” I know he was happy and I guess I understood what he meant, but really, that just doesn’t make much sense because The Big Easy is a place on the map that is not located in oh nevermind.
– In closing, I hope the Zephyrs hire recently fired Ozzie Guillen. I know this has nothing to do with the Saints but until Bossman Joe Gerrity unleashes Zephyrs247 from its cage near the airport, this is my only outlet.
P.S. All of you New Orleanians looking for something to do this Thursday, might I suggest this.