Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan Van Gundy Out {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    So, win or go to Seattle.
    Go to Seattle and win

This gets me more excited about next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwego15 View Post
    Based on what? Hammon has much more experience than her if they want to hire a female.

Mark Jackson, its long overdue

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Just hire T Spoon.

She reportedly has good relationships with basically everyone on the team, Zion has spoken about her glowingly, she's had good stuff to say whenever a camera comes into her vicinity, and while it's still a coaching change, at least she's already part of the team which minimises some of the "3 coaches in 3 years" turmoil, insofar as one can minimise such things.

If we hire Jason Kidd I'm going to post very mean things about a number of people.
    What has she done to justify being an NBA head coach? If they want a female for some reason, Hammon has much more experience. I think they need to interview Vanterpool.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    Mark Jackson, its long overdue
    Would be catastrophic.

The Franchise
    Please anyone but Kidd or Jackson.

Well... okay.

So that didn't work. I wonder if Griff will now go with an unknown instead of a retreadsaurus coach.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Please anyone but Kidd or Jackson.
    Best I can do is Avery Johnson.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What has she done to justify being an NBA head coach? If they want a female for some reason, Hammon has much more experience. I think they need to interview Vanterpool.
    I literally just explained why I think she would be a good candidate. Great relationships with the players, semi-continuity, etc.

I'm a big fan of Hammon and wanted her to be hired over SVG in the first place, so it's not like I'd turn that down, but it's a bit weird to do the ''why her'' thing in response to a post where I laid out my reasons to support her.
    Basketball.

Best I can do is Avery Johnson.
    He was in New Orleans 2 nights ago, saw him at a restaurant.

Hall of Famer
    Brandon Ingram and Stan Van Gundy had a strained relationship throughout the 20-21 season, sources tell Christian Clark of The Times-Picayune.

Ruthless

Wtf is Griffin doing

I literally just explained why I think she would be a good candidate. Great relationships with the players, semi-continuity, etc.

I'm a big fan of Hammon and wanted her to be hired over SVG in the first place, so it's not like I'd turn that down, but it's a bit weird to do the ''why her'' thing in response to a post where I laid out my reasons to support her.
    Obviously I do not think those are reasons to qualify her as a head coach.

If true that Rick Carlisle wants out of Dallas, he would be my number one choice (a consistent winner), otherwise I go back to my last year's choices: Kenny Atkinson or Dave Joerger. My other choices from last year are unavailable (Steven Silas and Billy Donovan). T-Spoon would be an interesting choice and would bring us even more national attention that might be appealing to some free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Kidd seems like the choic3

Just hire T Spoon.

She reportedly has good relationships with basically everyone on the team, Zion has spoken about her glowingly, she's had good stuff to say whenever a camera comes into her vicinity, and while it's still a coaching change, at least she's already part of the team which minimises some of the "3 coaches in 3 years" turmoil, insofar as one can minimise such things.

If we hire Jason Kidd I'm going to post very mean things about a number of people.
    I dont like this argument for T Spoon (or anybody) for THIS team.

You shouldnt be bringing in someone they like to be the Head Coach. You do that for experienced, vet heavy, ready to take the next step teams. A team this young still needs a tough mom/dad more than they need the Aunt/Uncle they love. Now, SVG was too much in the extreme direction, but you dont want to overreact to that by going too far in the "give them the one they all like" direction.

Make it Charles Lee, let T Spoon be the lead assistant so she has input and still gets to play the "good guy" - that is my ideal scenario personally
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    If true that Rick Carlisle wants out of Dallas, he would be my number one choice (a consistent winner), otherwise I go back to my last year's choices: Kenny Atkinson or Dave Joerger. My other choices from last year are unavailable (Steven Silas and Billy Donovan). T-Spoon would be an interesting choice and would bring us even more national attention that might be appealing to some free agents.
    Its Lee or T Spoon. You guys can keep talking about other options for fun. But it will be one of those two. Griff wanted to hire Lee last year but couldnt pull the trigger because he thought HC experience was necessary for whatever reason. T Spoons relationship with the players will get her a hard look, but its one of those two. I'm telling you

So we have to pay out the remaining three years, don't we?

Just remember the folks who were all in on SVG and defended him to the ends of the earth. Remember their opinions and put them in their respective place (next to the recycling bin).

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Its Lee or T Spoon. You guys can keep talking about other options for fun. But it will be one of those two. Griff wanted to hire Lee last year but couldnt pull the trigger because he thought HC experience was necessary for whatever reason. T Spoons relationship with the players will get her a hard look, but its one of those two. I'm telling you
    So you do not think Vanterpool will even be considered? He seems highly respected by players in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So you do not think Vanterpool will even be considered? He seems highly respected by players in the NBA.
    Considered is a tricky word. Could he blow Griff away, even more than Lee did last year, in the interview? Could Lee not want the job because he felt passed over last year when he was the better candidate? I mean, there are always possibilities of things. But if Spoon and Lee both want the job, it will be one of them. I have no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    So we have to pay out the remaining three years, don't we?
    Yep, not a bad way to get fired...

Just remember the folks who were all in on SVG and defended him to the ends of the earth. Remember their opinions and put them in their respective place (next to the recycling bin).
    Eh, I still think it's a bit of a hard look.

On one hand, you have SVG, who failed to get us to the playoffs, orchestrated one of the league's worst defenses for most of the year, and had a number of weird decisions regarding rotations and minutes allocation. All of that is true, and it is on him.

On the other hand, was it fair to expect this roster to play good defense and be a playoff team? I don't really think so, and none of the roster choices were SVGs fault.

Beyond even that, was it SVG's fault that JJ Redick forgot how to shoot for the first time in 15 years? Sure, you can critique him for continuing to play him, sure, but the end result is that we were missing very arguably our biggest source of shooting for most of the year and that was true whether JJ Redick played (and shot poorly) or didn't (and didn't shoot at all) - the end result is the same, very few threes from JJ Redick.

Whether you pile all the blame on SVG or on Griff seems to be largely dependent on which of the two you personally like more: if you hate SVG with a burning fury, you will say good riddance to bad rubbish because he failed to turn us into a winner and did so all year. If you hate Griff, you'll blame him for the roster construction and ask whether it was even possible to get this team to the post-season this year.

The reality is that blame lies on both parties: SVG was an imperfect coach, but he was given a devastatingly flawed roster to work with. End result is what we already knew; changes have to happen. Moving on from SVG is fine but if that's all we do, this team is going to miss the playoffs again with whoever replaces him next year. Need roster turnover.

Thread Information