Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What trade packages, not just for AD, do you want? What’s realistic?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

What trade packages, not just for AD, do you want? What’s realistic?

I like the plan to trade AD to Boston. But Danny Ainge is slick. I think he’s gonna lowball the PELS. He will likely offer 3-4 first rounders but no Tatum. I think he’ll try to send us Gordon Hayward which wouldn’t be good because his contract is massive and he’s not that player since his injury. Ainge will try something like:

GH, Horford and 3 first round picks. 2 2019 firsts and one 2021 1st. This would be a really crappy deal. If y’all think he’s not planning on keeping Tatum you’re wrong. He’s not trustworthy. If he offers Tatum he’ll still try getting rid of GH and maybe only offer 1-2 picks. Think about it. Whoever is GM better be ready. How would you approach the off-season?

I would expect Tatum, Smart, Horford and 4 firsts from Boston. We send them AD AND Hill.

If they turn it down don’t budge. I would have to get Tatum and Smart plus picks. Bottom line. They have to take Hill. If Ainge plays games then say the window will close very fast. No bluffing. Give us what we want or we go in a different direction. If he gives the pels what they want and there is no other team that can beat the offer then GET IT DONE ASAP.

So imagine: we get Tatum, Smart, Horford and all 3 of the 2019 Celtics 1sts.

We’d have our own 1st as well. 4 first rounders would be nice. Next move should be to trade a player like Moore and multiple 2nd rounders to a team that’s trying to contend. Maybe Bucks, GSW, Rockets etc. get a late 1st from one of those teams 21-27th pick.

So then we are loaded with 5 1st round picks. Use the picks wisely. If possible move up in draft if we see a player that’s really special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I favour the Knicks trade. Depending on what their pick ends up being, anyway.

If the Knicks get super unlucky in the lottery and fall to the 5th pick or something, then I don't really hold their deal as a favourite, but just assuming they get a top three pick (fairly likely), this is what I want from them and why.

Players: Knox, Mitchell Robinson, Frank Ntilikina
    Picks: 2019 Knicks, 2021 Knicks, 2021 Dallas

Why? I think Mitchell Robinson is already a solid, rotational player in the NBA. He's only 20 years old and has limited offense, but he is a legitimate defender and rim protecter and has shown a great motor. At his height, with his wingspan, I think he has a ton of potential that we could bring out moving forward, and as a second round pick he is essentially a steal.

Frank is less of a sure thing. He's already a very strong defender and a pretty good playmaker, but he's not really a very skilled offensive player. I've seen him have moments, but it's not all there yet. Being put in New Orleans instead of New York and being paired with a fellow elite defensive guard in Jrue Holiday, I could see that being a very productive mentoring relationship, and Frank really does have all-defensive potential. He's 6'5, I believe, but with something like a 7'1 wingspan. It's absurd.

Knox I think has shown a lot of offensive potential. His overall field goal percentage is pretty bad, but his three point shot looks good and he's shooting that at a 34% clip on a fair number of attempts per game. He's only a rookie, and while he's far from a safe bet, I think he's an intriguing prospect at that SF position for a player with legitimate offensive potential. I do think it's fair, however, if someone disagrees and doesn't see that same potential.

The picks I think are clear: given my belief that we should keep our own picks, this trade gives us a minimum of 2 first round picks every year for the next three. Depending on exactly what happens in terms of the Dallas rebuild, their 2021 first round pick could be very valuable either for us to draft with, or as trade capital in that vital 2021 draft. The Knicks pick should also still end up being a top 20 pick, although it will not be in the lottery, unless the Knicks get AD, Kyrie, and KD. That would be a very solid foundation for a rebuild, and it's important to note that the 2019 Knicks pick could easily become Zion Williamson or RJ Barrett or Ja Morant. Regardless of which one you favour (for me, I like them in that order exactly) they all show potential to be very good players, and possibly even franchise centre-pieces.

Drafting something like Zion and Bol Bol this year, then going into next year with another top 10 pick of our own, then going into 2021 with the potential of 3 first rounders in the first draft that allows high schoolers (where we could easily package picks together to move up, if there's an obvious star we could grab) would be a brilliant young foundation for a team.

I do appreciate that this is something of a 'scorched earth' rebuild, where the franchise is essentially reforging its identity, its make-up, its reputation, and its entire roster over the court of about 2.5 seasons, and I do understand that some people would be against that. I understand that completely, and I don't think other priorities (like a Boston trade that maybe lacks the same ceiling, but re-tools a lot quicker) are necessarily wrong, this would just be my preference.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Personally, I favour the Knicks trade. Depending on what their pick ends up being, anyway.

If the Knicks get super unlucky in the lottery and fall to the 5th pick or something, then I don't really hold their deal as a favourite, but just assuming they get a top three pick (fairly likely), this is what I want from them and why.

Players: Knox, Mitchell Robinson, Frank Ntilikina
    Picks: 2019 Knicks, 2021 Knicks, 2021 Dallas

Why? I think Mitchell Robinson is already a solid, rotational player in the NBA. He's only 20 years old and has limited offense, but he is a legitimate defender and rim protecter and has shown a great motor. At his height, with his wingspan, I think he has a ton of potential that we could bring out moving forward, and as a second round pick he is essentially a steal.

Frank is less of a sure thing. He's already a very strong defender and a pretty good playmaker, but he's not really a very skilled offensive player. I've seen him have moments, but it's not all there yet. Being put in New Orleans instead of New York and being paired with a fellow elite defensive guard in Jrue Holiday, I could see that being a very productive mentoring relationship, and Frank really does have all-defensive potential. He's 6'5, I believe, but with something like a 7'1 wingspan. It's absurd.

Knox I think has shown a lot of offensive potential. His overall field goal percentage is pretty bad, but his three point shot looks good and he's shooting that at a 34% clip on a fair number of attempts per game. He's only a rookie, and while he's far from a safe bet, I think he's an intriguing prospect at that SF position for a player with legitimate offensive potential. I do think it's fair, however, if someone disagrees and doesn't see that same potential.

The picks I think are clear: given my belief that we should keep our own picks, this trade gives us a minimum of 2 first round picks every year for the next three. Depending on exactly what happens in terms of the Dallas rebuild, their 2021 first round pick could be very valuable either for us to draft with, or as trade capital in that vital 2021 draft. The Knicks pick should also still end up being a top 20 pick, although it will not be in the lottery, unless the Knicks get AD, Kyrie, and KD. That would be a very solid foundation for a rebuild, and it's important to note that the 2019 Knicks pick could easily become Zion Williamson or RJ Barrett or Ja Morant. Regardless of which one you favour (for me, I like them in that order exactly) they all show potential to be very good players, and possibly even franchise centre-pieces.

Drafting something like Zion and Bol Bol this year, then going into next year with another top 10 pick of our own, then going into 2021 with the potential of 3 first rounders in the first draft that allows high schoolers (where we could easily package picks together to move up, if there's an obvious star we could grab) would be a brilliant young foundation for a team.

I do appreciate that this is something of a 'scorched earth' rebuild, where the franchise is essentially reforging its identity, its make-up, its reputation, and its entire roster over the court of about 2.5 seasons, and I do understand that some people would be against that. I understand that completely, and I don't think other priorities (like a Boston trade that maybe lacks the same ceiling, but re-tools a lot quicker) are necessarily wrong, this would just be my preference.
    Radar Alert !!!! L.A. Clippers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Radar Alert !!!! L.A. Clippers !!!
    I don't see anything LAC has that I'm particularly interested in. They don't have any chance at the number 1 pick like NY does, they don't have the range of young players that NY does, they don't have the quality youth that Boston does, and they don't have the number of picks Boston has, and LAC is in the West.

Feel free to lay out your argument as to why you prefer LAC, you could always change my mind.

I don't see anything LAC has that I'm particularly interested in. They don't have any chance at the number 1 pick like NY does, they don't have the range of young players that NY does, they don't have the quality youth that Boston does, and they don't have the number of picks Boston has, and LAC is in the West.

Feel free to lay out your argument as to why you prefer LAC, you could always change my mind.
    Did you see the draft picks they have in 2020 & 2021? Gives us the PG of the future. Possibly Zubac & Montrez Harrell & Jamychal Green. Note: If Tatum, Brown & Memphis pick is on the table in Boston, then I'm on record as liking that trade, but the Clippers have better draft picks. I would prefer the Clips over Knicks.
    Last edited by Tinman; 02-08-2019 at 01:54 PM.

I like the Knicks as well. Not as sold on Robinson yet as he has to find a way to play more in control and stay out of foul trouble. However, that may come in time. If they get below #3, I lose most interest (and start to lose some interest below 1). I agree that I do not see any value from the Clippers. SGA is nice, but what else? Besides him and the Miami 2021 pick, I do not see any tangible value.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I like the Knicks as well. Not as sold on Robinson yet as he has to find a way to play more in control and stay out of foul trouble. However, that may come in time. If they get below #3, I lose most interest (and start to lose some interest below 1). I agree that I do not see any value from the Clippers. SGA is nice, but what else? Besides him and the Miami 2021 pick, I do not see any tangible value.
    You shouldn't lose interest beyond the 1st pick. Barrett and Morant both have a ton of potential. Beyond the third pick though I lose interest as well.

If the Knicks don't get Ping Pong Ball, then I have NO interest at all in dealing with them. UNLESS Pels think we can use the Knicks pick 2 or 3 & couple it with our unprotected 20 or 21 pick to get Zion, then I could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    You shouldn't lose interest beyond the 1st pick. Barrett and Morant both have a ton of potential. Beyond the third pick though I lose interest as well.
    I like Morant, but D prefer Boston assumed package over that. But, I get your position , because who knows what Ainge is actually up to.

Did you see the draft picks they have in 2020 & 2021? Gives us the PG of the future. Possibly Zubac & Montrez Harrell & Jamychal Green. Note: If Tatum, Brown & Memphis pick is on the table in Boston, then I'm on record as liking that trade, but the Clippers have better draft picks. I would prefer the Clips over Knicks.
    I'm not particularly interested in Harrell, Green, or Zubac. I think SGA has some promise but I wouldn't even value him as highly as Robinson from New York: Robinson has already proven at least one elite NBA skill. SGA has done nothing of particular note so far.

I've seen their picks, I'm not sure what you feel is so elite about them. Aside from their own stuff, they have the 2020 Philly pick, which won't be worth much, and the 2021 Miami pick which is pretty good but I don't value it as highly as both the 2021 Knicks and the 2021 Dallas pick together.

I agree there. I personally think Zion is the best player in the draft, and I'm not alone in that belief at all, it's the popular view. I think RJ is better than Ja, and that he has real potential, and that Ja is also the kind of guard who could end up being an exceedingly good NBA player. After that though, there's some good players I like, but none that I would be desperate to sell to move up to get. If we get the 7th or 8th pick ourselves, we can get Bol Bol there with our own pick without having to leverage the AD trade to get him.

I could be completely wrong as I am no scout. However, I see a pretty big drop off from Zion to Barrett. I do like Morant as well and to a lesser extent Reddish. They all have good value. Outside of Zion though, I hold out hold for Smart/Tatum/Brown and 3 1st rounders and would take that over Barrett or Morant. Again, I could be completely wrong.

I could be completely wrong as I am no scout. However, I see a pretty big drop off from Zion to Barrett. I do like Morant as well and to a lesser extent Reddish. They all have good value. Outside of Zion though, I hold out hold for Smart/Tatum/Brown and 3 1st rounders and would take that over Barrett or Morant. Again, I could be completely wrong.
    Yeah, I'd trade if I knew i could nab Morant, but NOT Barrett. There are several wings that I like as much as Barrett.

Yeah, I'd trade if I knew i could nab Morant, but NOT Barrett. There are several wings that I like as much as Barrett.
    Yeah, I like Culver pretty much just as much as I like Barrett.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I'd be over the moon with this package plus the Memphis pick. Dunno how realistic it is, but it doesn't seem too insane?:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybcsgr4v

Yeah, I like Culver pretty much just as much as I like Barrett.
    Yeah, me too. But I really like Okpala. He's tall , maybe 6'8"ish & he can flat out shoot. When there's nothin to do late at night, PAC 10 basketball is All so got. I think culver is a #2. Okpala is a hybrid type. Not sure where he'd play.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I'd be over the moon with this package plus the Memphis pick. Dunno how realistic it is, but it doesn't seem too insane?:

Why would you include Jrue? Nah, I think we would be giving up too much in that deal. Jrue would be more valuable in a separate deal if we decided to trade him.

I want no part of Horford or his contract. Williams is a human pogo stick. Got some growing up to do.

Why would you include Jrue? Nah, I think we would be giving up too much in that deal. Jrue would be more valuable in a separate deal if we decided to trade him.
    Yeah, I don't get that. Pels need a base & right now, Jrue is it. We be basically giving him to Boston for Horford & Williams. Pass !

I would take that Boston deal over the 2nd or 3rd pick as well. If Ainge tries to get cute and only offer two picks or not include either Brown or Tatum I would take the potential in Barrett or Morant.

Yeah, me too. But I really like Okpala. He's tall , maybe 6'8"ish & he can flat out shoot. When there's nothin to do late at night, PAC 10 basketball is All so got. I think culver is a #2. Okpala is a hybrid type. Not sure where he'd play.
    I can't really comment on Okpala, I haven't watched him play enough. I do think Culver isn't a limited #2 though. He's listed at 6'5, I think, but he looks a lot longer/taller than that. You see him next to other players who are listed at 6'9 or 6'10, and although Culver is a touch shorter than him, it's not by much. I wouldn't be surprised if he was 6'7 or even 6'8 in reality.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The dream package for me is AD for Zion, both Dallas picks, DSJ, Knox, Robinson, and any other salary they need to throw in.

If the picks land where they are currently projected I would trade Jrue and my own #1 pick to Phoenix for Ja Morant, Mikal Bridges, and Tyler Johnson.

Between Johnson and Solo I would have almost $40m in expiring contracts, a bunch of 2nd round picks, and additional future draft capital to play with at the trade deadline. Or go into 2020 with nothing but rookie contracts and a ton of cap space and flexibility.

Ja/Frank
    DSJ
    Knox/Bridges/Kenrich
    Zion
    Okafor/Robinson

...that's a really young core group that you could surround with the right vets on manageable salaries. They're switchy, have length, and can fly. I don't think they make playoffs for a couple of a years, but it would be fun watching the progression if we have the right coaches in place.

Excluding Holiday, I think the Pelcians could get anything from Boston, but not everything.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    The dream package for me is AD for Zion, both Dallas picks, DSJ, Knox, Robinson, and any other salary they need to throw in.

If the picks land where they are currently projected I would trade Jrue and my own #1 pick to Phoenix for Ja Morant, Mikal Bridges, and Tyler Johnson.

Between Johnson and Solo I would have almost $40m in expiring contracts, a bunch of 2nd round picks, and additional future draft capital to play with at the trade deadline. Or go into 2020 with nothing but rookie contracts and a ton of cap space and flexibility.

Ja/Frank
    DSJ
    Knox/Bridges/Kenrich
    Zion
    Okafor/Robinson

...that's a really young core group that you could surround with the right vets on manageable salaries. They're switchy, have length, and can fly. I don't think they make playoffs for a couple of a years, but it would be fun watching the progression if we have the right coaches in place.
    I like the first part but I'm not sure if Phoenix would do that deal for Jrue. Actually, I would rather keep Jrue than gamble on an unproven rookie from a small school. Don't get me wrong, I like Morant, but why not just take the best player available at our slot and keep Jrue to help train Zion and whoever we get with our pick?

I am for anything that doesn't help Lebron. That includes shipping AD to Detroit for a 2020 2nd rounder.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Thread Information