Pelicans Report

Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8 48 54 55 56 57 58 59 LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1466

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Keegan Murray will go 4th. Ivey 5th.

Best guess on Pacer and Portland....
    I am gonna bet it goes Ivey, Murray, Mathurin

Then all comes down to 7. I say Sharpe if Portland keeps it, Sochan if Raps get it, Daniels if Hawks get it
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I mean.... the people I talk to all knew who the Pels were taking for a while leading up to the last two drafts and thats who we took. I told you all about Dieng on April 10th when he was being mocked in the 20s. And Daniels and Mathurin more recently, and others have finally caught up.

I could tell you they run a tight ship if that will make you feel better, but their stuff is always out there. Cant remember the last thing they did that I didnt hear about a while before, aside from Zion. Nobody knew about the foot prior to training camp. But that was mostly because everyone in the FO was terrified of upsetting Zion then, so thats the one guy they never talked to others about and let stuff out on.
    Ryen Russillo was the first person I heard hype up Dieng on a podcast, but that's beside the point. It's not a great look or very smart for the Pels to be so leaky about who they're selecting. I mean if someone internally is sharing news about the Pels draft board to someone who has been sharing "inside Pels info" on message boards and twitter for a decade, that's just not smart. If it was the Kings, Knicks, or Lakers doing this we'd be clowning them.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Ryen Russillo was the first person I heard hype up Dieng on a podcast, but that's beside the point. It's not a great look or very smart for the Pels to be so leaky about who they're selecting. I mean if someone internally is sharing news about the Pels draft board to someone who has been sharing "inside Pels info" on message boards and twitter for a decade, that's just not smart. If it was the Kings, Knicks, or Lakers doing this we'd be clowning them.
    Ssshhh.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Again, I dont think you understand how similar to any other people in any other business these people in NBA front offices are. Growing up, you think the sport is so cool and the guys and gals who have jobs picking these people and trading for these people, and coaching these people, must be so amazing and smart and super secretive, etc..... nah, they are a bunch of former high school dorks who got a job for a multi billion dollar company and they love to gossip because its the first time in their life anyone has ever wanted to know about what they are working on. Its pretty comical once you see it. I basically got introduced to the world at 2008 AS Weekend, made the majority of my connections there, and its wild.

This isnt some super secret, clandestine, all soldiers keep your mouth shut for fear of allowing the top secret plans into our enemies hands league. Its a bunch of nerds who wanna finally get laid and are drunk on power making massive decisions on mommy and daddy's dime. Sorry to ruin the illusion for any of you.

Again, I dont think you understand how similar to any other people in any other business these people in NBA front offices are. Growing up, you think the sport is so cool and the guys and gals who have jobs picking these people and trading for these people, and coaching these people, must be so amazing and smart and super secretive, etc..... nah, they are a bunch of former high school dorks who got a job for a multi billion dollar company and they love to gossip because its the first time in their life anyone has ever wanted to know about what they are working on. Its pretty comical once you see it. I basically got introduced to the world at 2008 AS Weekend, made the majority of my connections there, and its wild.

This isnt some super secret, clandestine, all soldiers keep your mouth shut for fear of allowing the top secret plans into our enemies hands league. Its a bunch of nerds who wanna finally get laid and are drunk on power making massive decisions on mommy and daddy's dime. Sorry to ruin the illusion for any of you.
    Are you saying most NBA management jobs are the result of some sort of nepotism?

That's just how I read the post

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Are you saying most NBA management jobs are the result of some sort of nepotism?

That's just how I read the post
    ?????

How did you get that from what I typed? LMAO

Hopefully our nerds are smarter than their nerds

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Hopefully our nerds are smarter than their nerds
    We also got some good looking former athletes. Our trump card IMO

I think we're actually pretty 'leaky' about everything lol.

We also got some good looking former athletes. Our trump card IMO
    S/o Swin Cash.

Btw HAPPY OUSMANE DIENG BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    S/o Swin Cash.

Btw HAPPY OUSMANE DIENG BABY!
    shoosh

lol...I'm under no illusion for how business or sports work. I've been in meetings with leaders from all major sports leagues (and WWE) in 3 different cities. I know sometimes information leaks, but I think you're being naive if you think information equivalent to the top decision makers thought process and draft board, leaks this consistently and broadly in a normal business setting. Either the Pelicans don't think that information is valuable and therefore don't care (that would be concerning) or they don't know where the leaks comes from and how to stop it (also very concerning).

I was in recent conversations with FIFA that needed to be kept highly confidential. We limited the room to 5 people. Nothing got out until we were all ready for it to get out. It's actually not that hard to protect valuable information. For sports teams, they're creating a competitive disadvantage by sharing this info. And as much money as they spend to try and create a competitive advantage, it's surprising (and disappointing) that the Pelicans appear to be consistently so transparent and loose with their draft info.

It's entertaining for a message board, I just don't get it from the actual business/sports side.

lol...I'm under no illusion for how business or sports work. I've been in meetings with leaders from all major sports leagues (and WWE) in 3 different cities. I know sometimes information leaks, but I think you're being naive if you think information equivalent to the top decision makers thought process and draft board, leaks this consistently and broadly in a normal business setting. Either the Pelicans don't think that information is valuable and therefore don't care (that would be concerning) or they don't know where the leaks comes from and how to stop it (also very concerning).

I was in recent conversations with FIFA that needed to be kept highly confidential. We limited the room to 5 people. Nothing got out until we were all ready for it to get out. It's actually not that hard to protect valuable information. For sports teams, they're creating a competitive disadvantage by sharing this info. And as much money as they spend to try and create a competitive advantage, it's surprising (and disappointing) that the Pelicans appear to be consistently so transparent and loose with their draft info.

It's entertaining for a message board, I just don't get it from the actual business/sports side.
    I think we're overreacting a bit to how much info gets out about the Pels. The Jrue and AD trades were both Woj bombs, but they included public posturing so that's why we knew a little bit about them in advance.

I think Griffin plays the media a little more than people on here understand. He's not going on Russilo's show saying "we target international players and players from the south" because he can't help himself from running his mouth. He's stirring up a bidding war for the 8th pick, and sometimes that requires leaking a little bit of info. If the rest of the lottery teams know the Pels have no interest in anyone outside of Mathurin and Daniels, the value of the 8th pick drops. The Dieng love can both be true and also posturing for a potential trade.

Can only assume that our lack of interest in Sharpe means that he is not authentically himself. Where I'm confused is does that mean that he's inauthentically himself, or authentically someone else?

You are dismissing the possibility that his authentic self is not in congruence with the franchises desire to have sustainable success

I think we're overreacting a bit to how much info gets out about the Pels. The Jrue and AD trades were both Woj bombs, but they included public posturing so that's why we knew a little bit about them in advance.

I think Griffin plays the media a little more than people on here understand. He's not going on Russilo's show saying "we target international players and players from the south" because he can't help himself from running his mouth. He's stirring up a bidding war for the 8th pick, and sometimes that requires leaking a little bit of info. If the rest of the lottery teams know the Pels have no interest in anyone outside of Mathurin and Daniels, the value of the 8th pick drops. The Dieng love can both be true and also posturing for a potential trade.
    I agree with this 100%. Which is why the stuff about the Pelicans NOT being interested in Sharpe, and that getting out, is a fireable offense IMO. If it's true, someone has devalued the 8th pick by sharing that info with people known to share draft info that's leaked to them. So the Pelicans have been consistently over multiple regimes allowing someone to devalue their pick. Incredibly stupid team if true.

It doesn’t matter what you want or don’t want if there are multiple bidders. You have to beat the other bidders and when that happens, the bidders lose the leverage of “we know you wanna trade out”

That only matters if there is a single bidder

It doesn’t matter what you want or don’t want if there are multiple bidders. You have to beat the other bidders and when that happens, the bidders lose the leverage of “we know you wanna trade out”

That only matters if there is a single bidder
    One of the bidders for the 8 pick is the Pels in their ability to hold. Might not drive the price up a ton but it’s definitely worth something

Example:

OKC: we know you don’t want Sharpe

NOLA: Nope, we don’t but we have 4 other offers. I need your best offer in the next 3 minutes. Try to be stingy, we go with one of the others

Why would it matter if it was public knowledge we don’t want Sharpe? If anything, it entices more teams to call, knowing this is their first opportunity to trade in

Starting to hear buzz that Portland is heavily considering Duren and Sochan now too

Starting to hear buzz that Portland is heavily considering Duren and Sochan now too
    #SmokescreenSeason

It’s funny to find out how risk averse our fan base is. So many people have locked into Sochan because they’ve convinced themselves of his ceiling if he hits offensively, but they really just love him because he’s solid defensively. Also, as a group, largely out on guys like Dieng and Sharpe. Interesting case study

Dyson Daniels gonna be a Pel

Blazers go Duren, I’m almost compelled to trade back if I’m the pels. That’s a lot prospects to like that are left at 10 or 12. In the future one will be clearly the best, but in the moment def a game changer.

It?s funny to find out how risk averse our fan base is. So many people have locked into Sochan because they?ve convinced themselves of his ceiling if he hits offensively, but they really just love him because he?s solid defensively. Also, as a group, largely out on guys like Dieng and Sharpe. Interesting case study
    JMO...I consider Sochan's possible value to be a bit higher than it would normally be, because I think our D, especially at the 5...is our MAJOR weakness and MUST be addressed in the near future. IF...Sochan can't help at the 5, at least to some degree...his value drops substantially for me. Having said that...I've got no problem with taking Daniels over Sochan & could easily be leaning Daniels by tonight. How's that...for covering one's posterior?
    Last edited by The Dud; 06-23-2022 at 12:34 PM.

Thread Information