Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 20th January - New Orleans Pelicans @ Memphis Grizzlies - 16-27

Pelicans 20th January - New Orleans Pelicans @ Memphis Grizzlies - 16-27

We lost last game. It sucked, but it wasn't shocking: it was the Clippers, and they are a team which is good at basketball. These things happen when you play good teams, especially when you still have multiple guys missing from your team.

Tonight, we take on the Memphis Grizzlies, on a one-game road trip before returning home for the Spurs game on Wednesday. We all know why that Spurs game is exciting, I know that, but yes, we do have to do this one first. Here's our injury report:

JJ is listed as probable, Jrue and Jah are listed as questionable, and yes: Zion Williamson's status has been upgraded from ''out'' to ''doubtful''. Yes, doubtful means he still almost certainly will not play, and Wednesday is still his projected debut, but seeing his name on the injury report listed as anything other than out is amazing and awesome.

But first, we have to get through this game, and this game is important. Only a few games ahead of us, the Memphis Grizzlies are one of the teams vying for that final playoff spot with us. Right now, they are 20-22, and are riding a 7 game winning streak coming into this game. While many of the teams they've beaten in that span suck (Cleveland, for example) they've also managed to hand Ls to the Clippers and Rockets, so this can't be taken for granted. They can win games against good teams. The Grizzlies don't suck.

Winning this game would be worth double in the playoff race because unlike beating, say, the Knicks (which hands us +1 in the Wins column) this game replicates that +1 but obviously also adds a -1 to a team that we're competing with. That's invaluable; we play the Grizz 3 more times after tonight, so this game also marks the start of our season series with them, which we should really try to win in case of ties.

What are the Grizz? 17th in ORtg and 22nd in DRtg, they're kind of like us except slightly better. We're 19th in ORtg and 25th in Drtg; they're just a bit more efficient on both sides. They play at the league's 3rd fastest pace, meaning just outrunning them like we do Denver isn't really an option. The Grizz are 7th in FG%, 12th in 3pt%, 9th in FT%, 1st in assists, 10th in steals, and 9th in blocks. Pencil in 15th in rebounding and they don't really suck at anything, they just aren't really top top top notch in anything either (aside from assists). The reasons their offense isn't rated higher are simple: they turn the ball over a lot, 8th most in the league, and they take the 3rd fewest FTAs in the NBA; they hit 'em, just don't get 'em. They also don't take many 3s. This drives down their efficiency somewhat, for obvious, TS% related reasons.

I'm not going to go through all the threats Memphis presents in detail. They have Ja Morant, this years ROTY given Zion's injury, who is adapting quickly to the NBA and is an exciting watch (Even if his landings scare the life from me). They have Jaren Jackson Jr, whose defense hasn't quite progressed the way many hoped but who has added onto his offensive game a lot. They have Brandon Clarke, who believes it is a moral failure to miss shots, and Jonas Valanciunas is a walking double-double at the minute. They've got weapons, they've got youth, they're fun, they're good. Even if we lose, this should be a fun game to watch.

But we should really try not to lose.

#WBD #OneMoreGame
    Basketball.

Zion not listed as OUT!

Obligatory...

via GIPHY

I've been waiting a long time to post that

One more game guys... one more game...

What is this giphy magic?! How is that done?!
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

So I know everyone is excited about the Spurs game.

However, id challenge that this might end up being the biggest game of the year.

This is a huge game in terms of the standings and making the playoffs. We’re changing these guys and need this win!

Let’s focus on winning this game..... the we can all go BANANAS for the Spurs game. !

Huge game for us. We need this one.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Must win.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    What is this giphy magic?! How is that done?!
    Just google the gif you want to use. Giphy has a ton of them. Click on the one you want and look for the embed link. Its on the right side on Giohy. Copy that and just paste it in the thread.

Done. You are now a GIF master!

Here's a good one

via GIPHY

via GIPHY

When it's game day, and you learn how to do the gif thing just before Zion's return
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 01-20-2020 at 02:53 AM.

https://giphy.com/gifs/ufc-ronda-rou...-3KCOFfdqmptLi

************* *** *****!!!

I'm a failure!
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 01-20-2020 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    https://giphy.com/gifs/ufc-ronda-rou...-3KCOFfdqmptLi

************* *** *****!!!

I'm a failure!
    You gotta grab the embed code, at the side.

Thanks, lads!

This is dangerous. I may need to be limited.

I wouldn't call this a must win. Especially when there are 3 more meetings with Memphis left.

From a momentum standpoint it would be a great win, but it's still just mid January. A whole 3 months of basketball left. They lose, they'll be 5.5 games back of the 8th spot (with 3 games left against the current 8 seed).

Not a terrible spot to be in at this time.

Come Wednesday, LET'S DANCE

via GIPHY

All-Star
    If Zion is ready he should play today. We're not in any position to underestimate the Grizzlies.

Basketball Guru
    i want to see morant and his young crew go up against our young kats because we will have to deal with them for years to come......cant wait for the next game against them when zion is in the group....

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    After Zion's first dunk against the Spurs:

via ragincaucasian

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_CITY_BOI View Post
    If Zion is ready he should play today. We're not in any position to underestimate the Grizzlies.
    He's not going to debut on the road.

Will we see our entire starting unit on wednesday ? Will jrue be back also?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlPelsFan View Post
    Will we see our entire starting unit on wednesday ? Will jrue be back also?
    Not certain. It's possible though! And I hope that's what happens.

Wonder why Favors is out? He wasn't even listed in the report

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Wonder why Favors is out? He wasn't even listed in the report
    Lord have mercy jesus h christ. I guess we'll be playing this dance all year with Favors.

Favors' body seems to be that of a 40 year old player rather than a 28 year old.

Thread Information