Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: January 26th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Boston Celtics - 17-29

Pelicans January 26th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Boston Celtics - 17-29

Another day, another frustrating loss in the books. Last game was against Denver, and we dropped our first game of the year to them after definitive double digit wins in the previous two meetings. Without retreading the entire game again, suffice it to say that there was a general lack of effort on the boards and that our defensive discipline was not where it could be. The result is us dropping another game that we should have won at home.

Tonight we take on the Boston Celtics. The Celtics are 30-14, and have recently been playing fairly well despite a plethora of injuries to the squad. They've won 3 straight games by double digits (2 of them by at least 24 points) against good teams, including the Lakers and the surging Grizzlies. They have lost some games in the last few weeks to less amazing teams though, most notably a loss to Phoenix.

Speaking of how injured the Celtics have been, let's look at our injury report:

As you can see, mostly bland except Jrue's been added to it as probable. So he'll probably play but just be aware of that.

The Celtics are good. They're 5th in ORtg, and 4th in DRtg. 17th in pace, they're a relatively slow team compared to us, but they're coached well so pushing the pace shouldn't hurt them too badly. They're top 15 in all Four Offensive Factors, and top 15 in 3 of the Four Defensive Factors as well. They're one of the best FT% teams in the NBA, shooting about 81% as a team, which helps propel their mediocre shooting percentages (15th in FG% and 14th in 3PT%) up into a higher level, along with the fact that they don't turn the ball over and pick up a large percentage of their own offensive rebounds.

Just like with Denver, one of the keys to nullifying the Boston offense is to hawk the ball handlers, force turnovers, and prevent those second chance points from OREBs. It didn't go well against Denver: maybe take 2 will be better? In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing more Zion minutes, particularly against a team with as much trouble at the 5 as the Celtics have; without Kanter or Rob Williams, they need to rely on Poirier and Theis minutes, and while Theis is actually very solid and Poirier can occasionally show signs, neither of them are really dominant defensive presences. Not that Kanter is either but you get what I mean.

Tatum and Brown are both listed as questionable for this game, and obviously their presence will make a huge difference if they're active. Tatum has been an elite team defender this year, and him being available for them would be a bad sign; he's a solid offensive player who can make life difficult for Ingram who really could do with an easier night to help him snap out of his slump. Let's hope the two of them are out.

Other than that, it's just playing hard and following the game plan and executing. Please try to do some of that, Pelicans. #WBD
    Basketball.

I want all of Boston to play I want their best hopefully no one sits out !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want all of their starters out. I want cramps across the entire roster 1st quarter. Or food poisoning. Nothing long term or anything. But the Universe owes us.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

There are other Celtics banged up but playing including Kemba and Hayward. Smart has been added to the above injury list with a left hand sprain.

With Robert Williams and Kanter both out, the Celtics center situation for this one is unusual. They have Theis, but behind him is very undersized Grant Williams, Vincent Poirier who has mostly not performed well in his brief stints, and Tacko Fall recalled from Maine in the G League.

Boston's whole season has been like this. One injury after another. Still they've managed to win.

Keith Smith adds that Brown is more likely to play tonight than Tatum.
    Last edited by Gant-; 01-26-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Zion enters this game with 37 career points, or about 0.013 on the Baynes scale.

The last game in Orlando, the Celtics had 11 active players. Five were rookies.

It could be the same tonight.

Veterans: Kemba, Hayward, Smart, Theis, Wanamaker, Ojeleye.
    Rookies: G Williams, Javonte Green, Carsen Edwards, Poirier, Tacko

Four of those players were free agent signings out of Europe- two Americans Green and Wanamaker, plus Theis and Poirier. Tacko was also signed as an undrafted free agent.

Basketball Guru
    we're 0-2 since zion been back so how long will it take for the team to their mind right and get the 1st win with him back?.....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    0-2 since Gentry rebooted back to 6-22 Gentry. How long does it take for him to get a winning rotation going again? .
    Ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Ftfy
    The answer is 28 games. That's how long it took the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Zion enters this game with 37 career points, or about 0.013 on the Baynes scale.
    You moved the decimal again. Silly wabit. It's 0.0013 on the Baynes scale. Let's not downplay greatness that is Baynes!

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    we're 0-2 since zion been back so how long will it take for the team to their mind right and get the 1st win with him back?.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Ftfy
    The answer is 28 games. That's how long it took the first time
    I guess we will see if Gentry can learn. If it takes less than 28 games it will be an improvement!

After the way Bos torched us last we played, I think today we get payback.

Basketball Guru
    lol yall wild lol...

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    You moved the decimal again. Silly wabit. It's 0.0013 on the Baynes scale. Let's not downplay greatness that is Baynes!
    Nah, it's not. Baynes has 2688 career points. Zion has 37.

37/2688 = 0.01376488..... and so on with the decimal places. At least that's according to my calculator.

Quote Originally Posted by Gant- View Post
    The last game in Orlando, the Celtics had 11 active players. Five were rookies.

It could be the same tonight.

Veterans: Kemba, Hayward, Smart, Theis, Wanamaker, Ojeleye.
    Rookies: G Williams, Javonte Green, Carsen Edwards, Poirier, Tacko

Four of those players were free agent signings out of Europe- two Americans Green and Wanamaker, plus Theis and Poirier. Tacko was also signed as an undrafted free agent.
    I was impressed by Javonte Green's energy and hustle (admittedly mainly in garbage time) last match.

Quote Originally Posted by carpo View Post
    I was impressed by Javonte Green's energy and hustle (admittedly mainly in garbage time) last match.
    Yeah, Green's exciting. He's a 26 year old rookie, having played some years in Europe.

He came into summer league and no one heard of him, but right away he was making play after play, scoring very efficiently, and was super athletic. That earned him a camp invitation.

In preseason, Max Strus seemed to have the inside track on the 15th roster spot and played well enough to get it, but Green just flat played better and got the job. (The Celtics compensated Strus as if he made the team. Max signed a 2 way with Chicago and unfortunately got a season ending injury.)

Then in the regular season Green has been pretty good. His defense is solid. He seems to be finding his role offensively. With all the injuries Green's been important filling in for Boston. What a dunker.

On my way to game.

This is good. Guessing the med staff like the way his body was responding in the previous two games.

Great news. Not just for tonight but obviously for his development.

I want to see a game plan that's BI focused. Go away from him if Boston makes a huge effort to stop him but we need to get him back flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    On my way to game.
    Awesome! Have fun!

Respect

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Great news. Not just for tonight but obviously for his development.

I want to see a game plan that's BI focused. Go away from him if Boston makes a huge effort to stop him but we need to get him back flowing.
    Nah, definitely don't want that. I don't want him to feel like he's being forced to take over. We should just play the offense the way it should be played and let the game come to him. There's no need to try and force things through him if things aren't going well. That's not good basketball.

Obviously let him get his chances, and if he's on then he's on, but there should be no predetermined ''okay this game is all about you!'' going on.

That's not how focusing on something works. But ok.

Lol. I mean. You always have a player or two you're trying to get started early. That's not forcing anything.

Ingram starts things off by getting blocked by Theis

Thread Information