Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zion Trade

Zion Trade

Knowing we aren't anywhere close to winning a championship (and likely will never be), the headaches Zion brings, along with media denigration and souring of other players' perceptions of the franchise, makes it almost not worth having him, in my opinion.

What is the best realistic package the Pels could receive for Zion, and would you take it?

To New Orleans: Cade Cunningham, Jerami Grant (after extension), and '23 Detroit First Rounder (unprotected)

For

To Detroit:
    Zion, Temple, Sato

in a heart beat!! but first rounder would have to be 2022. Zion is going to keep refracturing his foot like Yow Ming. its inevitable

Zion to Phoenix. Ayton to Nola.

Quote Originally Posted by b_l_p View Post
    Knowing we aren't anywhere close to winning a championship (and likely will never be), the headaches Zion brings, along with media denigration and souring of other players' perceptions of the franchise, makes it almost not worth having him, in my opinion.

What is the best realistic package the Pels could receive for Zion, and would you take it?
    are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Zion to Phoenix. Ayton to Nola.
    Nah

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    To New Orleans: Cade Cunningham, Jerami Grant (after extension), and '23 Detroit First Rounder (unprotected)

For

To Detroit:
    Zion, Temple, Sato

I’d take this all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I’d take this all day.
    yeah that's actually not bad. doubt either team bites even in a pure hypothetical though

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    are you serious?
    Absolutely. I'd rather be average with likeable guys, than pretty good with a diva player who has one foot out the door and brings a blizzard of negative media.

Absolutely. I'd rather be average with likeable guys, than pretty good with a diva player who has one foot out the door and brings a blizzard of negative media.
    how is Zion a diva player? there are a lot of things you can say about Zion, some of them not good, but what has he actually done to be considered a diva? Just be kind of quiet and not really engage with the media? I'm genuinely asking a question.

For

To Detroit:
    Zion, Temple, Sato
    Not even close to enough. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by clark griswald View Post
    in a heart beat!! but first rounder would have to be 2022. Zion is going to keep refracturing his foot like Yow Ming. its inevitable
    Based on what? Do you even know what kind of foot fracture Ming had and how it compares to the one Zion has?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not even close to enough. Pass.
    We've gone the 'Super-Star Route' three times in the last 15 years with absolutely nothing to show for it. And 'Super-Star # 3' is more super-hype to date, than genuine super-star. His talent may be apparent, but his drive is stuck in reverse.

Why?

There are a myriad of suppositions, but if you peel back the layers of his rind (his protectors and enablers), you'll realize that the desire to excel is not an external trait driven by outside force. Rather, it's an internal one that requires and internal commitment, determination, fortitude, and discipline. Super-Star # 3 lacks all four.

Of the tree Pelican 'Super-Stars' only Chris Paul had all four.

'That's All Folks' didn't and 'The Incredible Bulk' certainly doesn't have them either.

Give me players who are hungry, not players who are fat (either in the mind or in the body or both).

how is Zion a diva player? there are a lot of things you can say about Zion, some of them not good, but what has he actually done to be considered a diva? Just be kind of quiet and not really engage with the media? I'm genuinely asking a question.
    Through his family, he's already sending smoke signals that he doesn't want to be in NOLA. How many explicit instances do you need to realize this story will end just like all the other super-stars'? I would bet he takes the QO

We've gone the 'Super-Star Route' three times in the last 15 years with absolutely nothing to show for it. And 'Super-Star # 3' is more super-hype to date, than genuine super-star. His talent may be apparent, but his drive is stuck in reverse.

Why?

There are a myriad of suppositions, but if you peel back the layers of his rind (his protectors and enablers), you'll realize that the desire to excel is not an external trait driven by outside force. Rather, it's an internal one that requires and internal commitment, determination, fortitude, and discipline. Super-Star # 3 lacks all four.

'That's All Folks' didn't and 'The Incredible Bulk' certainly doesn't have them either.

Give me players who are hungry, not players who are fat (either in the mind or in the body or both).
    So you would dump a guy that, regardless of your opinion, is seen as a generational talent for an above average player on a bad team in Grant and a yet unproven Cunningham and a 1st? I think that if we were to trade Zion, we should be able to get much more than that haul (at a minimum, additional 1sts).

Through his family, he's already sending smoke signals that he doesn't want to be in NOLA. How many explicit instances do you need to realize this story will end just like all the other super-stars'? I would bet he takes the QO
    Would you really be willing to bet a lot on that? What exactly did his family say that gives you this indication or are you relying solely on bloggers' "sources"?

lmao he's not taking the QO, regardless of whether he wants to be in New Orleans or not. Luka might not even want to be in Dallas either, but he signed his extension as soon as possible. If he ends up taking the QO, that would actually be unprecedent and not an ending comparable to any other superstar in history, so....

So you would dump a guy that, regardless of your opinion, is seen as a generational talent for an above average player on a bad team in Grant and a yet unproven Cunningham and a 1st? I think that if we were to trade Zion, we should be able to get much more than that haul (at a minimum, additional 1sts).
    no use arguing with him man. He's turning on a guy that's still only 21 and comparing him results wise to players that left NO when they were in their mid-twenties...

Why?

He's 21 lmao

no use arguing with him man. He's turning on a guy that's still only 21 and comparing him results wise to players that left NO when they were in their mid-twenties...
    Lol he's not arguing with me, I didn't say anything about Cunningham. If he takes the QO, he leaves Nola. AD left Nola. CP3 left nola.
    And to PelicansFan, willing to bet a lot, because the reporting was from Will Guillory, not a blogger, and has been echoed by other big name reporters.

lmao he's not taking the QO, regardless of whether he wants to be in New Orleans or not. Luka might not even want to be in Dallas either, but he signed his extension as soon as possible. If he ends up taking the QO, that would actually be unprecedent and not an ending comparable to any other superstar in history, so....
    If it's that unlikely just because it is unprecedented, what kind of odds are you willing to give me that it happens? We can DM our personal info.

For this purpose only, I'll cede you your 'generational-talent moniker, and ask you this.

Since high school, has this generational talent consistently translated to the court. Further, tomorrow night, stop by and visit me in Section 102. Together we can cheer on the Generational Talent as he begins his third season in the league as he did his first...on the bench.

Zion is a generational talent as we saw when he was healthy last year. Sure he has holes in his game, but so does every star at 20-years-old. No reason to think he won't to continue to get better and add to his game.

Even with that though, I've always had concerns about him being here and was pretty subdued when we landed the first pick while everyone was celebrating like we'd already won a championship. The first reason has nothing to do with him. I've just seen how small market team's can get crucified when they land a mega star. I never like the narrative when LeBron was in Cleveland when it was always about what the team was doing for him rather than what he was doing for the team. We are well into the same dynamic here and I really understood what Griffin meant when he discussed how much he disliked having to build a team to suit James rather than growing it organically.

Second, I was legit worried about Zion's size and an 82-game schedule. Even before he blew through his shoe at Duke I thought his realistic chance for a great NBA career depended on his playing weight dropping by 20-25 pounds, like Barkley's did coming out of Auburn. From the jump there is was no sign of this happening with Zion and there still isn't. The foot, the knee (twice), the hamstring and missing more than 40% of games in his first two years doesn't bode well to me for what lies ahead if he can't reshape his body. I'm not making any kind of moral judgement. Just a practical one. It's physics. He won't last at that weight. You can already see the problems and he's not even 22 yet.

Third, he's a tricky player to build around for all his talents. Maybe he'll become a shooter, but he isn't yet. He's a bull in the lane, but still only 6'6" and can struggle against team's with size. And he's very ball dominant soaking up a lot of attempts. None of this is fatal. He's a good passer and the gravity he exerts should open up tons of great looks for 3 point shooters. We just need to commit to building that team. Of course, if he's hurt then that model doesn't really work as well.

The best case for Zion is for him to play at around 260-pounds and use his quickness and explosiveness to force teams to pack the paint. If he becomes an 80%+ FT shooter, he can punish teams for fouling him. If the Pels get enough shooting, we can punish teams for packing the paint against him. And if he can stay healthy, the Pels may be able to build a contender around him. But that's a fair number of maybes...

Lol he's not arguing with me, I didn't say anything about Cunningham. If he takes the QO, he leaves Nola. AD left Nola. CP3 left nola.
    And to PelicansFan, willing to bet a lot, because the reporting was from Will Guillory, not a blogger, and has been echoed by other big name reporters.
    Again, any proof or just a report from a "source?" Guillory is a good reporter, but has yet to prove he has any reliable inside sources or information. He usually piggy backs on other reports rather than breaking anything.

For this purpose only, I'll cede you your 'generational-talent moniker, and ask you this.

Since high school, has this generational talent consistently translated to the court. Further, tomorrow night, stop by and visit me in Section 102. Together we can cheer on the Generational Talent as he begins his third season in the league as he did his first...on the bench.
    I am not the one who deemed him a generational talent. That comes from experts in the field of the NBA.

Thread Information