Pelicans Report

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: January 4th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Indiana Pacers - 4-2

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    the last 2 possessions of the game is what has me mad...

1)....jj had the ball and all he had to do was let them foul him lol....jj cant make 3s right now but he damn sure can make free throws and gave the ball up to lonzo who imo didnt want the ball either because he didnt want the pressure of getting foul and making free throws lol.....so lonzo get jack and turner make the 3 to tie the game....

2) the last play we had the wrong player in the game.....ingram got the ball and adams came to set a high screen and ingram had to take a bad game winning shot over turner.....turner didnt have to respect adams shooting so instead of going out to guard adams, turner stood home and was able to double ingram and force ingram into that bad shot.....

now if melli was in the game instead of adams then melli could have set the high screen for ingram and now turner has to come out to guard melli because of his shooting,,,now you have ingram getting around the screen and able to shoot a easy shot or put up a floater with the lil time we had on the clock to win or loose.....or turner would have stayed home and ingram could have pass the ball to melli off of the screen for the game winning shot..win or loose.....

bad coaching at the end and bad play by jj to not hold on to the ball to get fouled and shoot those free throws...

1)....jj had the ball and all he had to do was let them foul him lol....jj cant make 3s right now but he damn sure can make free throws and gave the ball up to lonzo who imo didnt want the ball either because he didnt want the pressure of getting foul and making free throws lol.....so lonzo get jack and turner make the 3 to tie the game....

2) the last play we had the wrong player in the game.....ingram got the ball and adams came to set a high screen and ingram had to take a bad game winning shot over turner.....turner didnt have to respect adams shooting so instead of going out to guard adams, turner stood home and was able to double ingram and force ingram into that bad shot.....

now if melli was in the game instead of adams then melli could have set the high screen for ingram and now turner has to come out to guard melli because of his shooting,,,now you have ingram getting around the screen and able to shoot a easy shot or put up a floater with the lil time we had on the clock to win or loose.....or turner would have stayed home and ingram could have pass the ball to melli off of the screen for the game winning shot..win or loose.....

bad coaching at the end and bad play by jj to not hold on to the ball to get fouled and shoot those free throws...
    100% agree on point 1. JJ has always been questionable with the ball if he's not shooting. Not so much on point 2.

Indiana was not going to leave Ingram. They would have taken their chances with a wide open Melli.

Antonio Daniels said it correct. Don't run a PnR there. Just clear out and let Ingram shoot over Brogdon. Don't get Turner/Adams involved in the first place. Let Adams stay near the goal for a possible tip in.

SVG just shat the bed big time tonight.

you had me at Melli. Melli sucks, and his shooting is essentially a fairy tale. I would honestly have just gone Zion at the 5. And don't know why I'm not seeing that much Ingram-Zion PNR so far tbh. That should in theory be unstoppable.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    you had me at Melli. Melli sucks, and his shooting is essentially a fairy tale. I would honestly have just gone Zion at the 5. And don't know why I'm not seeing that much Ingram-Zion PNR so far tbh. That should in theory be unstoppable.
    i mean, i said melli because of adams.....i assuming we had adams in for rebounding so take adams out and put melli for rebounding and his shooting then we have a better chance at getting a better game winning shot....or hell,,just take adams out and put someone in who can shoot.....

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

SVG just shat the bed big time tonight.
    Agree. He is the one who looked inexperienced tonight. No challenge on Oladipo when play was black and white. Not called time out with 19 seconds left to advance the ball. Sticking with JJ way too long. Trying to run out clock at end of regulation instead of continuing to attack. Poor play selection in OT. Terrible, terrible coaching tonight.

It's hard to stick with a player who is in a slump, especially after a painful loss. But we need to try and stay with JJ while he works his way out of this. We need him to be a scorer off the bench, our sixth man who drives the offense in the second unit. Without that kind of scoring, we aren't going to be a playoff team. Redick has earned trust over years in the league. Five or six or even ten games is way too soon to pull the plug on a player like Redick. Right now I'm not sure we have an alternative who can replace JJ's potential as a scorer anyway. Let's ride with him and try to get him some better looks...

I have to admit, I'm shocked that the Knicks are off to a 4-3 start also. I see that ex-Pelican PF, Julius Randall (22.1/11.4/7.4), is thriving. He's an asset that got away from us for nothing. This is why JJ has to go and a decision has to made, stat, on Lonzo. I'd hate for them to walk and the Pelicans to get nothing in return.

Regardless, if Randall keeps these numbers up, he will be a wealthy man in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    It's hard to stick with a player who is in a slump, especially after a painful loss. But we need to try and stay with JJ while he works his way out of this. We need him to be a scorer off the bench, our sixth man who drives the offense in the second unit. Without that kind of scoring, we aren't going to be a playoff team. Redick has earned trust over years in the league. Five or six or even ten games is way too soon to pull the plug on a player like Redick. Right now I'm not sure we have an alternative who can replace JJ's potential as a scorer anyway. Let's ride with him and try to get him some better looks...
    Exactly how I feel. JJs in a slump.

We simply need better A-B-C pass action but unfortunately we currently suck at it. But I like this team and think they?ll figure it out more and more.

Just rewatching that last infamous play, I thought Oladipo took the ball from Lonzo.

Actually, Lonzo was getting pressed and he just lost it on his own. Oladipo just pounced on a loose ball gift. Indiana was not going to foul there.

The other part is Ingram and Adams are at mid court just spectating Redick and Lonzo on the struggle bus. At the very least Ingram should have hustled back there to help out.

Just an ugly possession from coach to players. Ugh.

I feel like the team has growing pains, including the coach and that's fine.

I really hope they get the Zion Adams pairing going full steam ahead, it might not be the best spacing but entertaining as hell in a uniquely destructive kind of way.

Y’all need to chill out. The Pacers are a good team. We almost beat them. Just had a bad break. Trust the process.

Basketball Guru
    Just rewatching that last infamous play, I thought Oladipo took the ball from Lonzo.

Actually, Lonzo was getting pressed and he just lost it on his own. Oladipo just pounced on a loose ball gift. Indiana was not going to foul there.

The other part is Ingram and Adams are at mid court just spectating Redick and Lonzo on the struggle bus. At the very least Ingram should have hustled back there to help out.

Just an ugly possession from coach to players. Ugh.

i was about to post and say i dont see anyone talking about that possession......

man forget lonzo...i still stand on that he was under pressure of not wanting to go to the free throw line lol....forget lonzo......

jj had one job to do and that was to hold on to the ball and let the 2 pacers players foul him and shoot free throws to put us up by 4 or 5...even if the pacers wouldnt had fouled jj,,i think we had a timeout to use to save us....that possession fall on jj........i cant get that one play out of my head...i cant tell you anything that happen in overtime all because of that one play killed my whole night lol...

i was about to post and say i dont see anyone talking about that possession......

man forget lonzo...i still stand on that he was under pressure of not wanting to go to the free throw line lol....forget lonzo......

jj had one job to do and that was to hold on to the ball and let the 2 pacers players foul him and shoot free throws to put us up by 4 or 5...even if the pacers wouldnt had fouled jj,,i think we had a timeout to use to save us....that possession fall on jj........i cant get that one play out of my head...i cant tell you anything that happen in overtime all because of that one play killed my whole night lol...
    I felt like JJ did get fouled

I don't think the reason was because he didn't want to go to the free throw line. It took a good few seconds to get Lonzo the ball and he was probably worried about getting past half court before the 8 second violation and rushed it.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I felt like JJ did get fouled
    someone on the team has to stand up and take a fine for dragging the refs......that first game zion went to the line like harden does and since then,,the refs has been holding the whistle back on this dude...zion is getting the jrue treatment with the calls now....i dont get it....

Couldn't one of JJ or Lonzo called a timeout as soon as the ball came in to advance it?

Couldn't one of JJ or Lonzo called a timeout as soon as the ball came in to advance it?
    Timeout should have been called before being passed in. Should have been a no-brainer by SVG.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Timeout should have been called before being passed in. Should have been a no-brainer by SVG.
    True that. How many did we have left?

True that. How many did we have left?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Unforgivable

Sure enough, all over the internet, it's Ingram lost the game because he is a ball hog followed up with he needs to give the ball to Lonzo. Pure crazy town.

I don't know how Lonzo built this cult following even all these years removed from Chino Hills/UCLA, but it is large and 1000% dedicated.

Sure enough, all over the internet, it's Ingram lost the game because he is a ball hog followed up with he needs to give the ball to Lonzo. Pure crazy town.

I don't know how Lonzo built this cult following even all these years removed from Chino Hills/UCLA, but it is large and 1000% dedicated.
    Lonzo ******** his pants as soon as he saw Oladipo running at him. Head went straight down and he fumbled the ball

Just imagine this guy trying to handle the ball under the pressure of the playoffs

BI is the only guy who can confidently attack off the dribble in crunch time

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Lonzo ******** his pants as soon as he saw Oladipo running at him. Head went straight down and he fumbled the ball

Just imagine this guy trying to handle the ball under the pressure of the playoffs

BI is the only guy who can confidently attack off the dribble in crunch time
    Ingram was bringing the ball up the floor almost every possession down the stretch even with 2 point guards on the floor. I think it was contributing to him being tired in the final couple minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Ingram was bringing the ball up the floor almost every possession down the stretch even with 2 point guards on the floor. I think it was contributing to him being tired in the final couple minutes.
    LonzoBled combined might be 1 point guard.

But at this point I'll take 4-3 looking at 6-3. This year is strange.

Brooklyn looked like world beaters, but now have lost 4 of their last 5. Plus Durant about to miss the next 4 games. Memphis lost half their starting lineup and Doncic is fat and shooting horribly.

Things could be worse.

LonzoBled combined might be 1 point guard.

But at this point I'll take 4-3 looking at 6-3. This year is strange.

Brooklyn looked like world beaters, but now have lost 4 of their last 5. Plus Durant about to miss the next 4 games. Memphis lost half their starting lineup and Doncic is fat and shooting horribly.

Things could be worse.
    Definitely a weird year, although I wouldn't say the Brooklyn issues are one of the weirder things. Their offense has been fine, as expected, but I think most people predicted their defense to be shambolic and that's exactly what it's been. Post-injury Durant is not a positive defender, Kyrie is not a positive defender, DeAndre Jordan hasn't been a positive defender in years and they insist on feeding him minutes, LeVert has never been a good defender, etc. It was always going to present an issue.

Dallas having double issues: not only is Doncic playing himself into shape, but they're missing Porzingis still. Going to be a struggle for them for a little while I think.

And yep, Memphis' has our usual injury luck.

Definitely could be worse, you''re right.
    Basketball.

Thread Information