Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Training Camp Begins

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Defense will be fine.

But yeah I just don't buy it. Unless literally everyone's height comes out lower than expected, I don't buy it. We've seen Zion stood next to 6'9 Ingram looking damn near identical.in height, he's taller than Lonzo who claims he's 6'7, he's taller than RJ Barrett's, etc etc etc. Unless that's a result of them ALL just being smaller than reported, I just don't buy that Zion hasn't grown since he was 17.
    You can not buy it all along but his 6 foot 6 and that’s facts . Why would they lie. Tbh he looks barley taller than NAW

Quote Originally Posted by bdnp1 View Post
    You can not buy it all along but his 6 foot 6 and that’s facts . Why would they lie. Tbh he looks barley taller than NAW
    Why would they lie, he asks, about the league that's spent the last 10 years insisting that Kevin Durant is 6'9?

The facts are the facts, but there's no telling whether we're actually getting them. The fact is that that NAW measured at 6'5.5'' without shoes at the combine. Damn near 6'6'', and Zion looks comfortably taller than him: not 5 inches taller or anything, but comfortably taller.

We also know that Hayes measured in at 6'11.5'' without shoes at the combine. We've seen Zion stood next to Hayes: does he look 5.5 inches shorter? No. 3 inches shorter, sure, but not basically half a foot.

Cam Reddish measured at the combine at 6'8'' without shoes: Zion looks basically the same height as him in every picture that's come out in the last 6 months.

Ingram was also listed by his combine at 6'8 without shoes: in all of the media day photographs, Zion looks to be a very similar height as Ingram, although possibly a little bit shorter due to his hair.

So I'm supposed to believe that actually, there has never been a picture taken of Zion where his height can be accurately judged, and also, he's not grown since he was measured more than a year ago despite being barely 18 years old at the time? I just don't buy it. Sorry.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by bdnp1 View Post
    I might be in the rare group that believes Zions height is a benefit to him. It would worry me if he wasn’t a gem laterally. I don’t think people understand the mismatch he is and how being the supreme slasher height benefits him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RhythmNathan View Post
    This is not good. Not like a huge deal but it probably means he’s done growing. Front court height and defense is still my second biggest concern for this team outside of 3 point shooting from starting 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Charles Barkley was 6'6 and he was fine.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Why does this mean he’s done growing?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Why does this mean he’s done growing?
    Probably cause he was 6'6'' a year ago, and he was barely 18. If he's still 6'6'' now, over a year later at 19 and a some change, that's a full year of zero growth during an age where you would expect there to be some.

I guess he could always have a random growth spurt at 20 or something, it's not impossible, but it's also not encouraging.

This is a great sign. One of the most obvious and frustrating holes in our team, one of the few things that I do feel we are legitimately lacking, is free throw shooting. None of our projected starting 5 shot better than 80% from the FT line last year (Zion was in college, but still). Only one of them (Jrue) shot better than 70%.

If these guys can just work on this properly with a high quality shooting coach (which Vinson is) then hopefully we can see some marginal improvements. Not expecting anyone here to become Steph Curry or Redick from the stripe, but even taking a 5% bump would help a lot.

For Lonzo, I'm hoping he follows the Clint Capela path of FT shooting. In Capela's rookie year, he shot 17.4% from the FT line (admittedly, super low attempts, only played 12 games, etc etc). Since then, he's gone:

2nd year: 38%
    3rd year: 53%
    4th year: 56%
    5th year: 64%

If Lonzo can follow a similar path that would be great. Last year, he shot an abysmal 41.7% from the stripe. If he can manage to get it to around 50% or 55% this season, I'll take that as a real positive.

Why does a player's measurement when barefoot matter? its not like he'll play the games without shoes on. But whatever. Barley was probably 6'4, and he horsed folks.

Okafor saying at media availability that he thinks we should be the best offensive rebounding team in the NBA this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Why does a player's measurement when barefoot matter? its not like he'll play the games without shoes on. But whatever. Barley was probably 6'4, and he horsed folks.
    It doesn't really matter that much. It's useful for projecting, scouting, etc, but really once you're on the NBA floor, you can either do what you need to do to win, or you can't, and it doesn't matter whether you're big if you're useless; see Alexis Ajinca, just like it doesn't matter if you're small if you're good; see Charles Barkley.

It's just annoying because I am sure that he's bigger than that, and it grates to see a number that doesn't seem to line up with reality.

Gentry media availability:

On open practice: ''It's for the fans, they don't wanna see drills. They're not like you, they don't wanna see the drills, so we'll treat them to really, kind of, scrimmaging with the two teams and meet with Scott [Kushner] afterwards to speak X's and O's.''

''I guess if you could compare it to maybe Lebron going to Miami or going back to Cleveland, or Durant going to Golden State... I think that with us, I've never seen interest in basketball be as high as it is right now. I think it's a good thing but the bottom line is that we've got to back it up with the way that we play.''

On defense and basics: ''I think we've done a really good job with that and our guys have embraced the defensive concepts that Jeff has. We're going to be very aggressive and give up some backdoor plays or layups, but our thing is that we wanna make the offense react to us, not the other way around.''

On rebounds: ''There's no reason why you can't be a good offensive rebounding team and a good defensive transition team. We have athletic, long guys and there's no reason we shouldn't have to go after the offensive boards.''

On Zion playing 3, 4, 5. Bzdelik's experience on undersized bigs from PJ Tucker: ''He should be, he's athletic and can move his feet. Very strong guy. He'll get there, I think the toughest thing is that the defensive concepts in the NBA are tougher than in college so there'll be an adjustment, but I can't see any reason why he wouldn't be. It's not going to happen over night, but with the way that he works, I think he can be a top notch defender, yes.''

Moore media availability:

On the open practice: ''Yeah it's exciting when you have the fans and people behind you. It's definitely motivating and will get us pumped up, ready for the season.''

Depth on the team at guard: ''It's been fun, we've got a lot of talent so guys can do a lot of different things. We compete every day and they make you bring your hard hat every single time you play.''

Defensive differences: ''We play a lot scrappy, forcing other teams to play our way, making them react to us. We have a very aggressive defensive mindset.''

Zion going 5/6 from the FT line.

Encouraging signs. Obviously it's practice, and Shaq claims he shot 90% in practice or whatever it was, so in-game is different. We know that. But just looking at his form, it seems fairly comfortable, repeatable. No dramatic hitches or jerks or whatever, and it's all one motion. So those are good signs.

Interestingly enough, the one he missed is the one where he seemed to pause at the shoulder before going into the release. He shot FTs with that weird pause fairly often at Duke, so I'm assuming that that's what Vinson and Co. are working on with regards to his release, there. It's much better when he misses that pause out. Getting rid of it could take him from a 65% FT shooter to 75%, which is a pretty important difference.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 10-04-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's just annoying because I am sure that he's bigger than that, and it grates to see a number that doesn't seem to line up with reality.
    Doesn't line up with your reality. You've been obsessing over Zion's height and it breaks your heart to find out you were indeed wrong. Just a couple of months ago you were making blanket statements like "as we all know Zion is 6'9" blah blah." It doesn't magically change anything about him though to list his actual height. He is going to be who he is regardless and for our sake let's hope that's remotely close to the hype he's had the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by socbe7 View Post
    Doesn't line up with your reality. You've been obsessing over Zion's height and it breaks your heart to find out you were indeed wrong. Just a couple of months ago you were making blanket statements like "as we all know Zion is 6'9" blah blah." It doesn't magically change anything about him though to list his actual height. He is going to be who he is regardless and for our sake let's hope that's remotely close to the hype he's had the last two years.

I love how me finding an amusing conspiracy theory (which I even called my own conspiracy theory like 10 times) to have fun with during a very dead off-season is somehow ''obsessing''. Mountain, meet mole-hill.

Like I said, whether it really lines up or not depends on what comes out about other players heights. Apparently Marvin Bagley, who is listed at 6'11'', was announced as being 6'8'' today at the Kings pre-season game, and if we're going to see a lot of dramatic height drops like that around the league then the Zion height issue is a lot more understandable. Makes sense, in that context.

I do find it hard to believe that Zion is 6'6'' without shoes (unless those new Jordan 34s have 2 inch soles ), because my judgements have been based off seeing him relative to other people with certain listed heights. If it turns out they're all a little shorter than expected too, then it actually makes complete sense. I've heard rumours (although this is not confirmed!!! obviously not claiming it is) that Draymond Green is about 6'5'' barefoot, which would be very surprising indeed.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 10-04-2019 at 04:10 PM.

I did notice in some of the photos he shoe soles looked pretty thick.

But really, if he's even 6'5" it does not matter. We are talking about inches here, so you really wont see a big difference until he is dealing with really long players that are 6'11" and above.

With his size and athleticism he'll be tough to handle on both ends. Just like Chuck and LJ.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I did notice in some of the photos he shoe soles looked pretty thick.

With his size and athleticism he'll be tough to handle on both ends. Just like Chuck and LJ.
    I mean, it's possible with the shoe soles. I've certainly owned shoes with very thick soles (Lebron 13s, spring to mind) but I can't find the stats anywhere for the Jordan 34. Would be curious to know.

I agree that he'll be fine either way. He has strength by the bucketload, and he's explosively athletic, including on the second jump which can be so important. Super fast off the ground. It's just a curiosity thing.

Pelicans will be on NBA On TNT, broadcasting from Training Camp.

Thread Information