Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Darius Garland vs Ja Morant

Question Darius Garland vs Ja Morant

I'm kinda torn on this... if you have the chance to take Ja at 2... do you take him? Or do you keep the assets that you'd have to move to get the 2, and take Garland at 3 or 4 (If AD is traded to NYK or LA)?

Expect the Spectacular: A Closer Look at Ja Morant (Player Breakdown / Scouting Reel)

The Draft's Forgotten Star: Inside the Potential of Darius Garland

Ja
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Ja, pretty clearly.
    Basketball.

I think Ja has a bigger impact in the NBA more quickly than Zion. Ja is just so fluid. His basketball IQ is tremendous.

Ja all day for me

The bigger question would be if we get the #4 and #7 with a Lakers trade and Ball shipped out.....and IF (again, more assuming for the hypothetical question) Memphis offers the #2 for the #4 and #7.....is Ja so much better than Garland and the field that you accept the trade and get just Ja or do you decline the trade and get Garland and someone else?

when i watch Ja i see westbrook with even better vision, and i thought that before i watched this video.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    The bigger question would be if we get the #4 and #7 with a Lakers trade and Ball shipped out.....and IF (again, more assuming for the hypothetical question) Memphis offers the #2 for the #4 and #7.....is Ja so much better than Garland and the field that you accept the trade and get just Ja or do you decline the trade and get Garland and someone else?
    I’d trade the #4 and #6/7 all day for Ja.

Lakers get AD

Suns get Ball

Grizzlies get picks 4 and 6

Pelicans get Kuzma, Ingram, Ja Morant, and 2021 Lakers 1st round pick

I would take that all day.

PG: Morant/Payton
    SG: Holiday/Moore
    SF: Ingram/Williams
    PF: Kuzma/Mirotic
    C: Williamson/Okafor
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 05-22-2019 at 12:25 PM.

i dont like zion at C at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    i dont like zion at C at all.
    Zion would be an excellent small ball center who could shift to PF if more size is needed for defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Zion would be an excellent small ball center who could shift to PF if more size is needed for defense.
    sure i can see him running it occasionally but i dont like a starting lineup with him at center, and honestly Zion has such great handles and vision I think he will start at PF but get a ton of SF minutes, but yeah i can see him getting a lot of minutes at C, he really is positionless and a lot of our offense will run thru him.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    when i watch Ja i see westbrook with even better vision, and i thought that before i watched this video.
    This is my exact comparison for him. He’s a Westbrook clone without the body. Everything in their game is near identical. Ja will add more strength and size as he goes. Not on Westbrooks level but similar to Steph Curry. I think Ja will be a very good NBA player but I’m going with RJ and even better he’s a better fit for what we need.

I'd take Garland. We have enough PGs that can't shoot. I love Ja's ability to attack the rim but you can go under the pick on Ja. Can't do that with Garland.

JMO

I’m very high on Garland personally. BUT, who knows with that injury. It’s a risk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Garland and Hunter/Culver, IMO, would be better than Just Ja.

I’d also rather keep Ball and pair him with the 4th pick than to try to flip him in a deal with the 4th pick for the 2nd pick. Gentry is on record saying Ball would be awesome in his system. If he realizes Jrue isn’t a PG and decides he wants to play for Pelicans, having Ball plus whoever we pick at 4 is better than Just Ja.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Gentry is on record saying Ball would be awesome in his system.
    Is he? I know there are rumors of this, but I have not seen anywhere that he said this (and not sure he can as it would be considered tampering).

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Is he? I know there are rumors of this, but I have not seen anywhere that he said this (and not sure he can as it would be considered tampering).
    There are folks who I deem as credible who have quotes Gentry on this. Independent of Gentry, I also think Ball would be a great backcourt pairing with Jrue and excel with Zion. The larger point though, is that if we need a PG - Ball/4 is better than Just Ja.

There are folks who I deem as credible who have quotes Gentry on this. Independent of Gentry, I also think Ball would be a great backcourt pairing with Jrue and excel with Zion. The larger point though, is that if we need a PG - Ball/4 is better than Just Ja.
    There are some positives to Ball, but I think the negatives (including the circus surrounding his dad) outweigh those.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    There are some positives to Ball, but I think the negatives (including the circus surrounding his dad) outweigh those.
    I agree with this. Also he is the exact opposite of the type of player you want to pair with Zion. Lonzo couldn't shoot his way out of a paperbag.

To put it into perspective, he shot worse from FT last year than ANY YEAR of Shaq ever.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 05-22-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    No way we get Morant. Memphis isn’t stupid. They know what he can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there were any possible way to get both Garland and Hunter, we should do it. Both fit around Zion and Jrue like gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I agree with this. Also he is the exact opposite of the type of player you want to pair with Zion. Lonzo couldn't shoot his way out of a paperbag.

To put it into perspective, he shot worse from FT last year than ANY YEAR of Shaq ever.
    Morant isn’t much of a shooter either.
    If the ideal player to pair with Jrue and Zion is a pure shooter, then we should be targeting Garland.

If the ideal player to pair with Jrue and Zion is a pure shooter, then we should be targeting Garland.
    Morant can and probably will become a good shooter. Nothing wrong with his form.

This is 100% nonsense. He is probably the 3rd best shooter projected to go in the 1st round behind Garland and Bol Bol, for sure out of those projected to go in the lottery.

The dude had a 55/36/81 split.

Nor did I say that we needed a pure shooter to pair with Jrue and Zion. We just don't need a guy who shoots worse than Shaq and is supposed to be a guard.

Thread Information