Thread: Brandon Ingram?????

Basketball Guru
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I slept at a Holiday Inn...

I am a physician...
    good one

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Ingram is only 20 and had an amazing jumper in college, it’ll return. Plus getting away from dumpsters LA will make him better like DLo and randle
    He's 22 in a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He's 22 in a couple of months.
    You’re right my fault

Ingram is only 20 and had an amazing jumper in college, it’ll return. Plus getting away from dumpsters LA will make him better like DLo and randle
    Ingram isn't 20, he's 21 and he'll be 22 before the season starts. He's coming into his 4th year in the league. No, that doesn't mean he's done developing, but it does mean it's time to stop the whole ''oh, but he was good in college'' thing. It's been 4 years. Either he has to start producing in the NBA, or he gets criticised because you can't rely on college forever.
    Basketball.

Ingram is only 20 and had an amazing jumper in college, it’ll return
    So, The amazing jumpshot WILL recur, but the life threatening blood clot will not. I feel like I just watched an episode of Continuum.
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    So, The amazing jumpshot WILL recur, but the life threatening blood clot will not. I feel like I just watched an episode of Continuum.
    I’m so confident I’m willing to make a bet that he shoots a higher 3pt percentage this year than last

I’m so confident I’m willing to make a bet that he shoots a higher 3pt percentage this year than last
    In fairness, it would be relatively difficult to shoot worse. He was solidly below league average this season overall, and until that crazy 11 game chunk at the end of the year he was shooting 30.9% from three.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    In fairness, it would be relatively difficult to shoot worse. He was solidly below league average this season overall, and until that crazy 11 game chunk at the end of the year he was shooting 30.9% from three.
    Hence it’s a good bet on my part lol, improvement is improvement

Looks like his last 11 games last year he shot 42% from 3, or 10-24. And finished year before last 39% for the season.

I'd be pretty certian that circus after AD's trade demands had an impact. He probably didnt want to be in the same room with LeBron. From some reports he's still salty at the Lakers.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-24-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Also 8 of those last 11 games were on the road, when shooting pct usually drops.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Looks like his last 11 games last year he shot 42% from 3, or 10-24. And finished year before last 39% for the season.

I'd be pretty certian that circus after the after AD's trade demands had an impact. He probably didnt want to be in the same room with LeBron. From some reports he's still salty at the Lakers.
    For the first 18 games of the season this year, E'twaun Moore shot 32 of 66, for 48.5% from three.

Small samples sizes are small and can tell very weird stories. And while it's true he shot 39% his second year, he did it on very few shots per game, that given the massively drop off this season combined with his very poor three point shooting first season, I wouldn't be betting on the one good year to be the more representative one.

It's true that the mess of the Lakers could have impacted his gameplay, and maybe if he really was unhappy with LA for the entire time that hurt his work ethic and made him less inclined to put in the effort. Hopefully that's true, and coming to a new situation gives him new life and he gets in the gym and improves. But can we please stop talking about the 11 game sample size as if that's at all a reasonable thing to extrapolate from?
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-24-2019 at 09:53 PM.

For the first 18 games of the season this year, E'twaun Moore shot 18 of 37, for 48.5% from three.

Small samples sizes are small and can tell very weird stories. And while it's true he shot 39% his second year, he did it on very few shots per game, that given the massively drop off this season combined with his very poor three point shooting first season, I wouldn't be betting on the one good year to be the more representative one.

It's true that the mess of the Lakers could have impacted his gameplay, and maybe if he really was unhappy with LA for the entire time that hurt his work ethic and made him less inclined to put in the effort. Hopefully that's true, and coming to a new situation gives him new life and he gets in the gym and improves. But can we please stop talking about the 11 game sample size as if that's at all a reasonable thing to extrapolate from?
    49% from 3 is obviously not sustainable, but thats not unusual nor a surprise for Etwuan Moore. He has always been known as a good 3 point shooter. And the fact that Brandon Ingram has spells of good shooting in his VERY short career is enough of an indicator that he can shoot the ball. Add to that he has a nice shooting form. So no surprise he has shown the ability to heat up.

Brandon Ingram being able to knock down 3s should not be and is not major concern. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    49% from 3 is obviously not sustainable, but thats not unusual nor a surprise for Etwuan Moore. He has always been known as a good 3 point shooter. And the fact that Brandon Ingram has spells of good shooting in his VERY short career is enough of an indicator that he can shoot the ball. Add to that he has a nice shooting form. So no surprise he has shown the ability to heat up.

Brandon Ingram being able to knock down 3s should not be and is not major concern. At all.
    Your starting small forward being a non-factor from behind the line is an issue in 2019-20. The only way you can mitigate it is if you have sharpshooters at other positions. We don't. So, if Ingram is looking to get paid (which obviously he is, all players want to get paid) then he's going to need to be at least a league average shooter.

The point about Moore is not to say insult Moore. It's simply to show that taking a small sample size, selectively, can show almost anything. Is Moore a good three point shooter? Sure! Is he a 49% three point shooter on basically 4 attempts per game? No, he's not, and it would be silly to use that small sample size as a basis to prove a point.

Therefore, when people say ''Brandon Ingram is not a very good three point shooter, and he needs to work on that.'' and people respond by pointing out that he shot well for an 11 game span in game-long garbage time, it's not as good a point as you seem to think it is.

Ingram needs to be a better three point shooter. Can he do it? Very possibly. I hope he does. Has he done it yet? No, he hasn't, so it is a concern because shooting is more important than ever and we're going to have to make a choice on whether we pay him or not in a year. Being a 32% 3pt shooter and a 67% FT shooter who doesn't play defense and is poor off the ball isn't going to cut it. He's either going to have to figure out shooting, or figure out defense, or figure out playing off ball. Gotta be at least one of them.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

Hm. That is an impressive showing. I wish this was less highlights and more moments where Ingram touches the ball and shows some of his off the ball activity or team defense and the like, but he's got some quality moments against a team that is supposed to be good defensively.

And he's still only 21. I still hate him being like 200 pounds soaking wet, but...yeah. I'm slowly coming around.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Hm. That is an impressive showing. I wish this was less highlights and more moments where Ingram touches the ball and shows some of his off the ball activity or team defense and the like, but he's got some quality moments against a team that is supposed to be good defensively.

And he's still only 21. I still hate him being like 200 pounds soaking wet, but...yeah. I'm slowly coming around.
    He has potential. That's why he was worth a top #5 pick in his draft in the first place. The issue is that for every game where he looks good and scores 30, he has a game where he goes 3 of 10 in 34 minutes, turns the ball over 3 times for 0 assists, and has a -48 net rating (that was against Portland last November).

He needs to just figure it out. Put it together. Get some consistency, learn to actually play hard every night and engage when you aren't being fed shots.

He ******** 39% from 3 last year, he can do it again, I’ll be surprised if he shoots under 36% from 3 this year, I think he gets back to around 39

He ******** 39% from 3 last year, he can do it again, I’ll be surprised if he shoots under 36% from 3 this year, I think he gets back to around 39
    I hope you're right. I doubt it, but I hope he does. 33% is not good enough.

I said earlier in this thread, I don't even need 39%. I think that's unrealistic to expect from a guy who is a career 127/386 from deep (32.9%). As long as he can shoot 2, maybe 2.5 a game and get up to league average at 35 or 36%, I'll take it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He has potential. That's why he was worth a top #5 pick in his draft in the first place. The issue is that for every game where he looks good and scores 30, he has a game where he goes 3 of 10 in 34 minutes, turns the ball over 3 times for 0 assists, and has a -48 net rating (that was against Portland last November).

He needs to just figure it out. Put it together. Get some consistency, learn to actually play hard every night and engage when you aren't being fed shots.
    Indeed. A lot of those moments would be known to me, but I refused to watched Lakers games. They usually came on late...and I don't care about them.

But at the end of the day, it's hard for me to worry much about a 20 or 21 year old being inconsistent.

Indeed. A lot of those moments would be known to me, but I refused to watched Lakers games. They usually came on late...and I don't care about them.

But at the end of the day, it's hard for me to worry much about a 20 or 21 year old being inconsistent.
    My issue isn't really with any of the people who think Ingram could be good. It's with the people who think Ingram is already some kind of superstar, when he's done nothing to prove it.

At the same time, I do feel a little concerned about a 21 year old (who will be 22 before the season starts) being inconsistent when we're going to have to pay them in a year.

My issue isn't really with any of the people who think Ingram could be good. It's with the people who think Ingram is already some kind of superstar, when he's done nothing to prove it.

At the same time, I do feel a little concerned about a 21 year old (who will be 22 before the season starts) being inconsistent when we're going to have to pay them in a year.
    Im with you. We need to let the year play out and take it from there.

I hope you're right. I doubt it, but I hope he does. 33% is not good enough.

I said earlier in this thread, I don't even need 39%. I think that's unrealistic to expect from a guy who is a career 127/386 from deep (32.9%). As long as he can shoot 2, maybe 2.5 a game and get up to league average at 35 or 36%, I'll take it.
    Fair enough, I’ll make you an avatar bet he shoots over 35% from 3 this year if you’re down

Fair enough, I’ll make you an avatar bet he shoots over 35% from 3 this year if you’re down
    Nah, my avatar is, will only ever be, and must remain, the Incredible Hulk with a cockatiel's head.

Also, I feel like 35% is a reasonable expectation so I hope he makes it, it's not something I'm betting against.

There are condensed games on YT. You can see moments where his slight frame make it hard for him to finish at the rim.

But you'll also see just how poorly coached that team was last year. Just total confusion on defense where offensvie players just blew by Ingram and Ball. You can see their youth plainly.

Other than that, you can also see Ingram's talent. He uses his length well. Not afraid to mix it up as a string bean. His high ceiling is apparent.

In all this discussion. Do we even know if he’s healthy right now? I looked but I could not find any news on him since March.

Is he working out? Is he shooting and practicing?

Is he medically cleared yet?

I think his availability should somewhat dictate our moves in FA.

Thread Information