Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bontemps- Davis on the Celtics: "They are on my list."

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yeah when you have players coming out and saying this isn't a good look you know something is wrong because players typically always side with other players.

I think everyone recognizes publicly demanding a trade 18 months before you can opt out is a very bad look. Notice Jimmy Butler didn't get anywhere near the same criticism as AD. Why? Because he made his desires known privately over the summer and then only after he wasn't traded did he go public with it. AD did it 6 months earlier than he should have and he immediately went public with the information.

The question becomes, how does the NBA stop this going forward and how willing is the Players Association going to be in helping curb this behavior?
    The icing on the cake was "demanding" to go to the Lakers, and AD never said anything to the contrary until now.

Tried to screw over this franchise twice doing that. Gurantee you this wasnt his idea, but they all (Rich Paul/ESPN/Davis) just tried to strong arm this franchise because they thought there was nothing here but a bunch of bumbling idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    The obvious answer is to increase the fine, and give the team the ability to suspend for multiple games (w/o pay) for conduct detrimental to the team. Or at the very least the ability to send a player away from the team. There has to be real consequences.
    I think the teams need to keep their hands clean of all of this since they still have to work with players directly to get them here.

The NBA needs a mandatory fine that's really large. That's why I said it depends on the NBAPA because they will have to be on board with the size of the fine.

I think the teams need to keep their hands clean of all of this since they still have to work with players directly to get them here.

The NBA needs a mandatory fine that's really large. That's why I said it depends on the NBAPA because they will have to be on board with the size of the fine.
    The owners will have thier day in two years. It's called a lock out.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Players in the NBA make an insane amount because of the low number of people on a roster and how many games they play. I don't think you will find a fine large enough to dissuade this.

Really, the best countermeasure would have been letting us bench AD and suspending him from All-Star activity. The recent trade demands of Kawhi, PG13, and now AD have been failures and letting us park with and him missing the All-Star event would have been the a haymaker to any future all-star looking to do similar.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    You do realise NOLA is one of the hardest markets to attract big name FAs to if not the hardest
    So tell me, AusPel, why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
    lmao....the rights to the #1 pick right now is the single most valuable player based property in the nba. Worth more than AD. Thats not to say Zion will be better than AD next year or the year after....but because of salary and marketing andteam control he is a more valuable chip.

And it's not really close.

All these 'we are getting zion' fantasies need to stop....unless of course we win the lottery. Because it ain't happening. And once the #1 team is known(regardless of who it is), the hype for that team and marketing goldmine for them is only going to explode more....
    Your logic is so specious, it's a bit frightening.
    If you had the The #1 pick & AD & Zion are on the board, who you taking?
    If you say Zion because he's cheaper, then you need to cool it on the reefers .
    If Kyrie signs w/ Knicks & it's Kyrie & Zion w/ the roster the Knicks have now, they win 25-28 games next year.
    If Kyrie & AD show up, they're. In the playoffs .
    He's a 19yr old college kid w/ potential (so he hasn't done anything yet)
    If you think Kyrie & Zion are gonna sell more seats than Kyrie & AD, then you're nuts.
    1000000% certain if Knicks get #1 pick , then Zion is a Pelican if a package can be agreed to. NO DOUBT .
    So, to use your line--> lmao !

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Players in the NBA make an insane amount because of the low number of people on a roster and how many games they play. I don't think you will find a fine large enough to dissuade this.

Really, the best countermeasure would have been letting us bench AD and suspending him from All-Star activity. The recent trade demands of Kawhi, PG13, and now AD have been failures and letting us park with and him missing the All-Star event would have been the a haymaker to any future all-star looking to do similar.
    Oh there's plenty of fines that would be large enough. The question is will the player association fight the owners on implementing such a large fine or not?

I mean if they set it up where the player lost 25% of their pay that season for making public trade demands I bit it doesn't happen again.

I don't. They currently take paycuts bigger than that to form super teams.

They care about image. Take All-Star appearances away and let teams bench them.

I wonder if that would work. I'm not saying for sure it would, I haven't even really thought about it too much, but it is interesting.

AD has played 45 games this year. That's not enough to qualify for an All-NBA spot, or an All-Defensive spot (I'm pretty sure you have to play 57 games to qualify for those, right?). If he plays another dozen games for us, he becomes eligible for those positions, and for someone who keeps talking about legacy you'd assume that getting those accolades matters to him. Maybe that's why he's so desperate to play.

Being told that if you demade a trade mid-season, you are instantly ineligible for that years all-star game, all-NBA spots, all-defensive spots, MVP, DPOY, and 6MOTY awards might have some impact. Maybe. Not sure.
    Basketball.

A paycut where you sign for an agreed upon amount is different than taking 25% of your money away everytime you speak openly on wanting a trade.

Also I don't think anyone has taken a 25% paycut to join another team. Where's the math on that? The supermax is only 5% more (35% of cap vs 30% for 10yr vet).
    Last edited by Mythrol; 02-17-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    So tell me, AusPel, why is that?
    Because he doesn’t realize Utah has a team.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

You mean when he's a free agent? No one is gonna care then. Lol
    He’s not a free agent next year
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Take a seat and enjoy the ride. It’s almost as if you are BUTTHURT about being wrong on the deadline. Let it go.
    I personally don’t care where he goes. I just think it’s funny people are pulling for a Celtics deal jus5 because they hate LBJ. Pettiness at its best. Boston will never offer 6 players, 2 draft picks, and cap relief but at least the Lakers didn’t get AD

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Your logic is so specious, it's a bit frightening.
    If you had the The #1 pick & AD & Zion are on the board, who you taking?
    If you say Zion because he's cheaper, then you need to cool it on the reefers .
    If Kyrie signs w/ Knicks & it's Kyrie & Zion w/ the roster the Knicks have now, they win 25-28 games next year.
    If Kyrie & AD show up, they're. In the playoffs .
    He's a 19yr old college kid w/ potential (so he hasn't done anything yet)
    If you think Kyrie & Zion are gonna sell more seats than Kyrie & AD, then you're nuts.
    1000000% certain if Knicks get #1 pick , then Zion is a Pelican if a package can be agreed to. NO DOUBT .
    So, to use your line--> lmao !
    Your entire analysis leaves out what happens if KD and Kyrie both decide to go to the Knicks.

KD + Kyrie + depth (DSJ/Robinson/Knox/Trier) + Zion (for at least 7 years) .... is a much better play for the franchise long term.

If Kyrie and KD insists on AD before committing to Knicks, then it makes sense to pull the trigger on AD.

But a team with Kyrie + KD + Zion + depth + future draft capital... is a favorite for the #1 seed in the East with a 10 year plan to stay on top.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    He’s not a free agent next year
    That's my point.

I personally don’t care where he goes. I just think it’s funny people are pulling for a Celtics deal jus5 because they hate LBJ. Pettiness at its best. Boston will never offer 6 players, 2 draft picks, and cap relief but at least the Lakers didn’t get AD
    I don't want 6 players. I just want good players. Your problem is you assume that people don't want to trade with the Lakers because of LBJ. We didn't want to trade with LA at the trade deadline because it'd be stupid to do a trade when they were the only team that could bid.

Would you rather have 6 2/10 players, or 2 7/10 players?

Lakers are offering a BUNCH of so-so, whatever, meh players.
    Say Boston sends us Tatum and Brown (possible), then sure it's not 6 players, but they are both MUCH BETTER players.

2 Good players > 6 Whatever players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Would you rather have 6 2/10 players, or 2 7/10 players?

Lakers are offering a BUNCH of so-so, whatever, meh players.
    Say Boston sends us Tatum and Brown (possible), then sure it's not 6 players, but they are both MUCH BETTER players.

2 Good players > 6 Whatever players.
    Taytum isnt guaranteed. A bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush. If Kylie leaves, which I think he will, Boston isn’t trading taytum. Then what? You never pass up on what’s in hand for something that may or may not happen

Taytum isnt guaranteed. A bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush. If Kylie leaves, which I think he will, Boston isn’t trading taytum. Then what? You never pass up on what’s in hand for something that may or may not happen
    I don't know Taytum or Kylie, so I'm not concerned about their future.
    I know that unless you have INSIDE information, you have fallen for the Media Groupthink session . You are a media lemming.
    The NBA sports media is a Kabuki theatre & you have fell hook, line & sinker for the smoke & mirrors.
    1) Nobody in the media has any clue whether Kyrie is leaving.
    2) But we do know that the Laker deal was garbage. So, the bird in the hand is kinda well, garbage if they are blind homing pigeons.
    Last edited by Tinman; 02-17-2019 at 02:27 PM.

geezus Christ are ppl not going to realize if Tatum isn't in the deal there is no deal and ainge knows that sure he'll probably try to not include him but in the end Tatum is the reason we do a deal with them.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    geezus Christ are ppl not going to realize if Tatum isn't in the deal there is no deal and ainge knows that sure he'll probably try to not include him but in the end Tatum is the reason we do a deal with them.

I agree. We don’t do a deal without Tatum and the Memphis pick. I am sure Boston will try to keep Brown and make us eat Horford’s last year of his contract. If Horford is in the deal, we will have to include Hill and Moore.

I would like to see either of these deals

Tatum, Brown, Smart, and 2 firsts for Davis

Or

Tatum, Smart, Horford, and 3 firsts for Davis, Hill, and Moore.

You get $20 today, or a 50/50 coinflip for $1m tomorrow.

Which do you pick?

Edit: and also, if you lose the coinflip tomorrow, you can still get the $20.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 02-17-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I agree. We don’t do a deal without Tatum and the Memphis pick. I am sure Boston will try to keep Brown and make us eat Horford’s last year of his contract. If Horford is in the deal, we will have to include Hill and Moore.
    I think I saw somewhere that horford doesn't wanna be in any type of deal and if he was he'd do something I'm really not sure

Thread Information