Pelicans Report

Thread: Our next head coach should be..

Our next head coach should be..

Jerry Stackhouse

The 45 year old upcoming coach has been touted as one of the next head coaches in this league for the last couple of years. The 2017 D-league coach of the year, has 17 years of playing experience, in which he was an allstar averaging nearly 30 ppg one season. He is known for his defense as a coach, and while his D-league teams were near last in pace. He has acknowledged that he is willing to switch styles depending on personnel. His Vanderbilt team is 23rd in the country in ppg this season. He is tough, disciplined, no nonsense while also being very likeable. He will command respect from this team from day one.

What's really impressive about Stackhouse is he knows exactly what he wants to do offensively and defensively.

Offensively
    The 905's slow pace and defensive intensity may suggest a Luddite at odds with the spirit of our time, but Stackhouse says that’s not him. “People say I may not like pace,” he told Lowe. “I want to get out and run every opportunity we can. But if we don’t have something initially, let’s bring it back out, get into my Carolina secondary offense...I like the [three-pointers]. I like to have weakside action, making sure that guys aren’t stagnant and just standing, making sure that we’re keeping guys occupied...We want [the guys driving the ball] to finish, but if the helps comes, I want that corner filled, and I want that slot filled, so I can sit there blind,” and here Stackhouse closed his eyes; he wants his players to know the right play so intuitively they don’t need to see it to recognize it.**If you watched Stackhouse the player, you may see his coaching philosophy as somewhat surprising. He sees it, too.
    “I probably wouldn’t like my game as a coach. Midrange twos...I tell guys, ‘All right, If it’s the shot clock and [a] guy runs you off and you gotta take a one-dribble pull-up, OK, do it. But otherwise, let’s try to get into the paint, pull another trigger, or find something else on the weakside, or just sidestep him and take the three...Guys who have efficient midrange games are always outliers.’”
    Defensively
    Switching is...secondary. That’s kind of hustling backwards, for me...If you start out switching, what do you go to? I’m a no-paint, no-middle team...keeping [the opponent’s offense] on the sideline, directing and dictating...where you want them to go, and you prepare to adjust when you have a breakdown...I like switching...in the mid-pick and rolls, because that way you can stay with shooters more. The one that I have a problem with is...1/4 [point guard/power forward] pick and rolls. You got Pascal Siakam, who can sit down and guard a point guard. Cool. Now, [the center] comes up and sets the pick. Now you have 4 and 5 in a pick and roll, and you don’t want to switch 5...and a lot of schemes with switching 1-4 are not switching with 5, so 5 is not ready to switch; he’s still ready to play his coverage and call his coverage in the pick and roll, and X4 is not used to doing X1, X2, X3 things...so that’s my...peeve against getting into too much switching.”
    https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2...rry-stackhouse

Contrary to the answers we get from Gentry "guys just need to make shots" "move the ball" "guard their man". He actually has deliberate schemes of what he wants to do.

Stack imo has that IT factor where you just knows he is going to be a great coach. Sure, we could go with a retread. But I believe Stack is so far beyond every other available coach, he is going to be a great one. He has the DNA that needs to be injected into this team. Tough, disciplined, skilled, high IQ. He will light a fire underneath this team and bring out the dogs in them. Also, at 45 years old, he is young enough to relate to a young team and grow with them over the years.

P.S. He doesn't discuss his coaching in this clip. Video from 2013. But this highlights his toughness, no nonsense as a player.

At the 9:20 mark he talks about how he wants to get out and run every chance they get at Vanderbilt. And against some teams who will be better at getting back. They will get into their half court sets, which they pride theirselves on being efficient in. He also said he likes transition 3s but wants the right guys taking them. So no Lonzo transition 3s.

A coach who has seen success in slow paced system and a fast paced system. A coach who can do both. You love to see it. This is our guy.

David Griffin is going to get someone With his connections. Keep an eye on Lue.

I was always a fan of Stackhouse as a player, but I haven’t followed him as a coach. It’s an interesting shout. I’ll take your word for it and if you are right he may not be a bad interim trial for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I was always a fan of Stackhouse as a player, but I haven’t followed him as a coach. It’s an interesting shout. I’ll take your word for it and if you are right he may not be a bad interim trial for the rest of the season.
    Wouldn't be able to get him this season. It would have to be in the summer. He's coaching at Vanderbilt right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    David Griffin is going to get someone With his connections. Keep an eye on Lue.
    This may be true. I'm just not too sure of Lue as a coach. Haven't really seen much of him outside of Lebron. He does have a ring though.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Wouldn't be able to get him this season. It would have to be in the summer. He's coaching at Vanderbilt right now.
    True. I’d be willing to give him a shot with something short term and see how he progresses if that is something Griff ends up doing. We just need a coach that understands all facets of the game and can adapt when needed to. Jerry always struck me as a pretty smart dude that knows his stuff. Gentry always seemed a bit one dimensional in his approach towards basketball.

Jesus, if Lue is the answer, I don’t want to know the question.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Hall of Famer
    This may be true. I'm just not too sure of Lue as a coach. Haven't really seen much of him outside of Lebron. He does have a ring though.
    Lue got fired 6 games after lebron left . Lue isnt a good coach

I want Ettore Messina. I am still shocked he never got a head job.

Quote Originally Posted by bogiesfedora View Post
    Really??

Kevin Garnett!

Quote Originally Posted by bogiesfedora View Post

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Kevin Garnett!

That dude would literally bite someone if they lost 12 games straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    That dude would literally bite someone if they lost 12 games straight.
    That is what we need!

If you want to make the Lakers life a living hell Garnett is your guy for HC

My guy now same as was before Gentry. Doubt he would leave Gonzaga, but might for 4 year deal 24 mil. That would be triple his current salary. MARK FEW. See below

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...ark-few-1.html

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Pels need a coach that would rip a head off. If they don’t have a player, they definitely need it in a coach. The entire team is full of nice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    My guy now same as was before Gentry. Doubt he would leave Gonzaga, but might for 4 year deal 24 mil. That would be triple his current salary. MARK FEW. See below

He could be a nice get, but doubt he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post

I like him but as already stated, doubt he leaves.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    I like him but as already stated, doubt he leaves.
    If Pels are paying Gentry 2 mil, how much do they pay someone that actually coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Pels need a coach that would rip a head off. If they don’t have a player, they definitely need it in a coach. The entire team is full of nice guys.
    That's Stackhouse! I wonder if he would bring in Rasheed Wallace as an assistant. He taught him how to drive in college and Rasheed just started coaching a high school basketball team last year, so he's interested in coaching.

Off topic but since I just mentioned in assistant. I wonder if Griff's recruitment of Vince Carter this summer was a chess move for down the line to bring him in as an assistant coach. He clearly knew we didnt have the roster space to sign him and its obvious at this point he wasn't going to cut anybody. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    If Pels are paying Gentry 2 mil, how much do they pay someone that actually coaches?
    Not sure but Lakers were throwing out 3 year $20 million offers this summer

Thread Information