Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: MAJOR TRADE: Pelicans / Grizzlies

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I forgot to include swaps, but include those too. All picks unprotected. Would they really not consider it?

tradenba-snap-1627407366099
    This is truly an outlandish number of picks for a superstar, much less SGA

I would literally lay out every pick to OKC and tell them, Just take whichever you want. Give me SGA TODAY

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    This is truly an outlandish number of picks for a superstar, much less SGA
    I agree but that is why you stock pile picks so you can go get who you want. If they want SGA then do it. I don't think you would have to offer that many picks though.

I forgot to include swaps, but include those too. All picks unprotected. Would they really not consider it?

Nope. If we did this............

At the end of next season:

1. BI is already a Max Player
    2. JV is UFA
    3. SGA is RFA who would want to be a Max Player
    4. DiDi is a RFA
    5. Gabriel is RFA
    6. Zion eligible for extension (Surely we will offer Zion a MAX extension)
    7. NAW eligible for extension
    8. JAX eligible for extension

Oh, and don't forget about the draft holds!!

OUCH!!!!!!!

MAJOR TRADE: Pelicans / Grizzlies

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Nope. If we did this............

At the end of next season:

1. BI is already a Max Player
    2. JV is UFA
    3. SGA is RFA who would want to be a Max Player
    4. DiDi is a RFA
    5. Gabriel is RFA
    6. Zion eligible for extension (Surely we will offer Zion a MAX extension)
    7. NAW eligible for extension
    8. JAX eligible for extension

Oh, and don't forget about the draft holds!!

OUCH!!!!!!!
    Imagine avoiding getting a talent like SGA because you are afraid of paying him and others. Do I hear a cat meowing? Also including Gabriel in this is ****ing hilarious.

SGA is a foundational piece to build around I doubt they trade him, but OKC has a crazy war chest of picks I wonder what this team will look like it the next 5 years. They won't get many/any free agents so Sam Presti will need to do right by those picks.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Imagine avoiding getting a talent like SGA because you are afraid of paying him and others. Do I hear a cat meowing? Also including Gabriel in this is ****ing hilarious.
    Just giving you the facts, ace.

Do you think SGA turns us into a championship contender? Serious question.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The contingency of this team becoming a championship team is based upon Zion Williamson. Do I think SGA would be a great piece to help Zion achieve transcendent levels? Sure do.

The contingency of this team becoming a championship team is based upon Zion Williamson. Do I think SGA would be a great piece to help Zion achieve transcendent levels? Sure do.
    Sure, but I think we both agree that there are other routes that could also help Zion. The question, quite simply, is do you think just adding SGA makes us a championship team? It's a yes or no question.

Because if you do, then sure, throw the entire pick haul at it. Throw all the pieces.

If you don't, then I don't think it's justifiable. As has already been pointed out, completely voiding yourself of all of your long term trade assets - when you know SGA is going to demand a max and that we'll have to max Zion, as well as having extensions due for NAW and Jax - is putting yourself at a hard cap. We would no longer have any clear path towards adding major talent. We would be capped out completely, with very little in the way of draft picks to spend to improve, no young players coming in on rookie deals to replenish the talent pool, etc.

If SGA makes us a championship team in your eyes then I get it. It would be worth it, for the same reason AD was worth all those picks to LA, that Kawhi was worth sacrificing DeRozan to Toronto, and for the reason that Milwaukee was happy to give up their future for Jrue: championships are forever.

If you do not think he gets us there, then by spending everything on him you basically concede the idea of a championship to the dustbin.

They aren't assets. You're not putting a 2nd round pick in a trade for Bradley Beal and moving the needle. They're fine for getting off of bad contracts or trading for a nothing player like Jarrett Culver right now. They are draft picks, sure, but they're not legitimate assets.

We have four this year and three next year. If you want to bash Griff for trading RJ Hampton for Adams, go for it; but in the grand scheme of things, there's a 98% chance those 2nds are going to make absolutely no difference. Just simply used as a way to confirm a bias.
    So what you described is an asset. It has some value. Not hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So what you described is an asset. It has some value. Not hard to understand.
    If you want to get angry over 2nds then be my guest. It would be nice if we could have a conversation about the 2021 Pels without six posts about the Adams thing

It's just not the end of the world
    Doesn't have to be the end of the world for people to be unhappy with it.

Doesn't have to be the end of the world for people to be unhappy with it.
    Some people on this board prefer to be unhappy and that's fine.

I think this trade was a step in the right direction. I'm excited with Jonas and I'm interested to see what we do with 17. Every FO in the NBA has made mistakes. I'm not interested in holding grudges for the entirety of Griff's tenure, especially if he's willing to own up to it when presented with those mistakes. I'm happy he cut bait on SVG, Bled, and Adams after one season and didn't try to double down. Obviously he faces more criticism in the short term because he's admitting to his mistakes (which most GMs, including Dell, would not do), but it's positive for our long term outlook if he's flexible enough to not lock himself in a certain direction out of pride.

Some people on this board prefer to be unhappy and that's fine.

I think this trade was a step in the right direction. I'm excited with Jonas and I'm interested to see what we do with 17. Every FO in the NBA has made mistakes. I'm not interested in holding grudges for the entirety of Griff's tenure, especially if he's willing to own up to it when presented with those mistakes. I'm happy he cut bait on SVG, Bled, and Adams after one season and didn't try to double down. Obviously he faces more criticism in the short term because he's admitting to his mistakes (which most GMs, including Dell, would not do), but it's positive for our long term outlook if he's flexible enough to not lock himself in a certain direction out of pride.
    I think the trade is a step in fixing his previous errors. Now we have to see what he does with the flexibility created by the move.

Lonzo and Josh would have to agree to the S&T to OKC, which they will not. Would love to see the cousins reunite though. Would be one hell of a backcourt!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TennMan23 View Post
    Lonzo and Josh would have to agree to the S&T to OKC, which they will not. Would love to see the cousins reunite though. Would be one hell of a backcourt!!
    It would be on the table I think is more of the idea. Obviously it's not a straight trade with those two, more of a possibility. And money talks. If they really want them they could possibly overpay.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You'd still have $ this year to sign someone else. They probably wouldn't be a contender this year, but in a year or two I think absolutely they have the potential to compete for a championship. The core is so good and so young, and you assume they'd only get better. I guess it depends on how long you can keep most of the band together.

Say you went into the season with something like this?

Jonas/Hayes/Hernan-Gomez
    Zion/James Johnson/Gabriel
    Ingram/Naji/Didi
    NAW/Duncan Robinson/Didi
    SGA/Elfrid/NAW

Say you went into the season with something like this?

Jonas/Hayes/Hernan-Gomez
    Zion/James Johnson/Gabriel
    Ingram/Naji/Didi
    NAW/Duncan Robinson/Didi
    SGA/Elfrid/NAW
    Highly doubt JJ stays around. Robinson would not sign here to com off the bench.

Highly doubt JJ stays around. Robinson would not sign here to com off the bench.

1. It's a rough/vague framework with some of those names simply filler to give an idea. Hence, "something like this".

2. What's it matter if you come off the bench or not if you're still getting 25+ min per game? And at what point does more money than anyone else is offering matter more than starting?

1. It's a rough/vague framework with some of those names simply filler to give an idea. Hence, "something like this".

2. What's it matter if you come off the bench or not if you're still getting 25+ min per game? And at what point does more money than anyone else is offering matter more than starting?
    I would assume when deciding where to play, it would be important if he goes from a starter on a contender to a backup to a young player on a team trying to build a winner.

Whether it really matters or not is irrelevant. We know it's something players care about and have aired grievances about in the past. Try that with an aging vet who knows their role and has earned their legacy and they sometimes buy it; trying ''what does it really matter if you're getting the minutes!'' to someone in their mid 20s and see how far it gets you.

Just saying, I think with most there's a sliding scale between that ego element and salary.

If you want to get angry over 2nds then be my guest. It would be nice if we could have a conversation about the 2021 Pels without six posts about the Adams thing
    2nds have such a poor track record (non-lottery 1sts only are marginally better), and have such little value among NBA FOs, there was a conversation on radio the other day on if the NBA should just get rid of the 2nd round.

I think 27 of 30 NBA teams have all traded their original 2nd round pick this year.

Thread Information