Pelicans Report

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Truncated Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Training camp in one week (I guess less since the day is over).....season opener in less than a month.

Hey. Y'all remember that time people were thinking we would mostly run the same team back due to the truncated offseason? This offseason has been wild.
    Lowkey wish the season was from December to late July every year.

So the Pelicans can have 15 players on the roster but according to beat writers will leave one position open. In addition, they have 2 two-way positions that are limited in playtime and have filled one of those (Xavier kid). So unless they sign another two-way guy they are likely done for right now. But I would say the NBA should have made additional provisions for the roster given the pandemic situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    So the Pelicans can have 15 players on the roster but according to beat writers will leave one position open. In addition, they have 2 two-way positions that are limited in playtime and have filled one of those (Xavier kid). So unless they sign another two-way guy they are likely done for right now. But I would say the NBA should have made additional provisions for the roster given the pandemic situation.
    Yeah they're gonna leave a roster spot open. Can't afford a min guy anyway without pushing into tax.

They can bring a 2 way guy in if they want. I think that counts as a roster spot while they're with team

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Don't OKC have like 54 players on their roster?
    24, but yeah they need to cut a fair number of guys loose.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Yeah they're gonna leave a roster spot open. Can't afford a min guy anyway without pushing into tax.

They can bring a 2 way guy in if they want. I think that counts as a roster spot while they're with team
    And I suppose that 15th guy would be Marshall. I would like to see them attempt to sign another 2-way guy. There are a handful of forwards that were not drafted. I am not sure they could get a Euro guy at that kind of contract.

Not player related but is somewhat useful to know...bye Zatarain's. That cajun chicken alfredo pasta dinner is scrumptious.

Never heard of Ibotta I use Wikibuy.

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...73933b25f.html

Pelicans fans who are in the market for team gear can get a discount when they use the Ibotta app or browser extension.

Who dis?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...leans-pelicans

Australian centre Will Magnay is finalising a two-way deal with the New Orleans Pelicans, league sources told ESPN.
    The Brisbane Bullets big-man garnered interest from at least five NBA teams -- including the Golden State Warriors, Dallas Mavericks, San Antonio Spurs, sources said -- but it set to officially sign a two-way contract with the Pelicans over the weekend.

Magnay, a 6'10 big-man out of Queensland, averaged 8.0 points, 6.0 rebounds, and 2.0 blocks over his 2019-20 NBL season with the Bullets, walking away with the league's Most Improved Player award.

Looks like an upside signing and as was stated by ESPN a two-way player this year is likely to be an extension of the roster for COVID purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    Looks like an upside signing and as was stated by ESPN a two-way player this year is likely to be an extension of the roster for COVID purposes.
    Don't think it's due to COVID, he's taking one of the two way spots as per a normal year

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Don't think it's due to COVID, he's taking one of the two way spots as per a normal year
    I would normally agree with you, but those guys were set to play some in the D league which is highly in doubt. ESPN eluded to the appeal of playing in the two-way spot was why he signed from Australia. He expects to play more. So COVID is either directly or indirectly involved in that it alters the way two-way guys play.

Not that we should put any (and I mean literally any) stock in offseason workout videos, but any updates on how/what Zion is doing? This insane offseason has kind of distracted us from the ultimate point that this team goes as far as Zion can take it.

Magnay just seems like one we snagged up because the potential was too enticing. It?s fine in the big scheme of things, but we will be lacking a true backup wing and a combo forward. Seeing this much raw talent though does make this season that more intriguing. Finding gems is always a fun experience.

If you're banking on either of the 2 way guys to make an impact, it's Marshall.

Magnay did some nice things in one of the least athletic pro leagues in the world

We should be thankful that the league moved to a 10 team playoff. This now allows us to compete for one of those ten spots while not being forced to give minutes to aging vets over developing young guys in order to try to take the 8th seed.

I have more trust in SVG regardless, but the Pels FO has basically forced his hand to play NAW and Jax extended minutes, which was a huge point of contention last year. It is absolutely crucial to figure out what we have in these guys this season; and, if we don't like the fit, to build up their trade values.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    We should be thankful that the league moved to a 10 team playoff. This now allows us to compete for one of those ten spots while not being forced to give minutes to aging vets over developing young guys in order to try to take the 8th seed.

I have more trust in SVG regardless, but the Pels FO has basically forced his hand to play NAW and Jax extended minutes, which was a huge point of contention last year. It is absolutely crucial to figure out what we have in these guys this season; and, if we don't like the fit, to build up their trade values.
    Good point but is it confirmed to be 10 teams again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Good point but is it confirmed to be 10 teams again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seeds 7-10 will compete in a playoff for the final 2 spots. Can sell that to the fanbase while simultaneously developing talent. I think this was the idea behind the offseason, specifically with minimal fans in attendance.

Just want to clarify, since this makes it sound like Griff said exclusively the 3: he mentioned twice the positionless aspect. So basically he's saying view Zion more as someone who can play 3/4/5, rather than just being a traditional 'big'. Which I think most of us wanted anyway!

This is good! Let him handle the ball some. He can run a PnR as the ball handler, he can drive and kick: he's a very talented passer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This is similar to what Mac has been saying. We have a lot of guards but they're not "point" guards in the traditional sense in that they're not limited to one particular role. The little things that Adams does allows you to roll with 3 guard lineups if you choose.

My main hope for this team, and my main worry, is that BI takes over as the guy when we get down to the end of games. I think there's a clear BI and then Zion and then everyone else pecking order this season, and I hope the rest of the guys can accept and embrace their specific roles around the two studs.

This is what I've been hinting at for a few days. Expect NAW to play a major role this season.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I have to imagine in addition to Zion being in shape, he’s gonna be doing a lot of work on his handle.

Jarrod Uthoff
    If you want a younger version of a stretch four, Uthoff might be worth a gamble. He continues to battle to find a role and a home in the NBA, but he’s a nice shooter and has good positional size, and heck, at least you’d be signing Uthoff and not Henry Ellenson. Hate you forever, Henry.
    https://medium.com/sportsraid/15-nba...al-4ee9a163ad4

Pelicans, Jarrod Uthoff Agree To Deal
    November 30th, 2020 at 12:57pm CST by Luke Adams
    The Pelicans are signing free agent forward Jarrod Uthoff to one-year contract, reports Will Guillory of The Athletic (Twitter link). The minimum-salary deal will be non-guaranteed, Guillory adds.

Uthoff, 27, has played for a handful of teams in the NBA and the G League since going undrafted in 2016, as well as spending a stint in Russia in 2018/19. Last season, he signed a 10-day contract with the Grizzlies in February and then joined the Wizards as a substitute player during the summer restart.

Although Uthoff only got into seven NBA games in 2019/20, he had a big year in the G League, averaging 19.0 PPG, 10.7 RPG, and 3.1 APG with a shooting line of .491/.367/.790 in 34 games (34.9 MPG) for the Memphis Hustle. He was named to the All-NBAGL First Team.

Uthoff is probably unlikely to make the Pelicans’ regular season roster, but the team doesn’t have a full 15-man squad of guaranteed salaries, so the door’s not entirely closed if he impresses during the preseason.

New Orleans has also officially announced its previously–reported deals with free agents Willy Hernangomez and Wenyen Gabriel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Is Magic Johnson Griff's Twitter ghostwriter now

Thread Information