Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps we owe David Griffin an apology?

Perhaps we owe David Griffin an apology?

Murphy looks like a steal. A great pick up. Griff and Langdon got this right. Perhaps we all owe an apology. He us building us a nice team now recovering from his past mistakes and we now have the correct coach.

Looks like a great pick, but I'd say that the Pelicans lucked out in Murphy falling to 17, so moving down was actually very risky. Some boards had him late first round, but others had him as around the 15th best player... and it wasn't a secret that the Pelicans liked him. Immediately after trading with Memphis, there were rumors that the Pelicans were targeting Murphy at 17.

All-Star
    I'm loved what I saw from this year's draft class BUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTT, until the Pels make some noise in the playoffs Doctor Octopus is still on the hook lol

Let's see how the season goes first.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    We all? Some of us still defended him. Also some of us defended Dell to the end too. I think overall he's been above average with what he's done with his hand.

Ummmm... The rest of our picks besides Zion have amounted nothing.
    We traded away the 4th overall for development players that on 3 year with nothing to show for it.
    Brandon Ingram is the only player remaining in that AD trade
    Every high price FA we got was a bust
    We was 6-26 and could of gotten Ball, Williams and etc if Griff shut it down, but we ended up with Kira
    We again decided to tank too late and lost two spots which could drastically changed the Jonas trade and saved us the Laker pick.
    We gave up a 1st pick with crap protection for a dude we could of sign outright with cap space.
    We traded away 4 FFP in the past two years with one of those getting ********ed by OKC to take Adam 30 million expiring
    Didn't even try to dump Bledsoe after the Holiday trade
    We bailed out of the deepest 2nd round for cash and we are looking at Sharife Cooper like... Hmmm
    We keep players till they lose all their value or stink up the basketball court

Most importantly... The right moves we made this off season is us cleaning up our mess that never should of been there in the 1st place.

So no. It's about damn time. We made the right moves.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-15-2021 at 10:54 PM.

First of all it's been less than a month since the draft. Again just because a thought comes into your head you don't need to start a thread about it.

Secondly I am not apologising for ******** because half the board lost their mind over picks and selling picks and I'm sure I speak for those who like me didn't overreact and act like we knew more than the FO.

Kira over Maxey was a huge mistake.

Not taking Cooper is also a huge fail since Kira is 2 years away from being 2 years away.

Quote Originally Posted by bustah View Post
    First of all it's been less than a month since the draft. Again just because a thought comes into your head you don't need to start a thread about it.

Secondly I am not apologising for ******** because half the board lost their mind over picks and selling picks and I'm sure I speak for those who like me didn't overreact and act like we knew more than the FO.

Tell us how you really feel

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Not taking Cooper is also a huge fail since Kira is 2 years away from being 2 years away.
    You've seen Sharife Cooper play 2 Summer League games. I'd bet you didn't watch a single Auburn game last season. Can we just stop with the Cooper narrative? There was a reason he went 48th overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Ummmm... The rest of our picks besides Zion have amounted nothing.
    We traded away the 4th overall for development players that on 3 year with nothing to show for it.
    Brandon Ingram is the only player remaining in that AD trade
    Every high price FA we got was a bust
    We was 6-26 and could of gotten Ball, Williams and etc if Griff shut it down, but we ended up with Kira
    We again decided to tank too late and lost two spots which could drastically changed the Jonas trade and saved us the Laker pick.
    We gave up a 1st pick with crap protection for a dude we could of sign outright with cap space.
    We traded away 4 FFP in the past two years with one of those getting ********ed by OKC to take Adam 30 million expiring
    Didn't even try to dump Bledsoe after the Holiday trade
    We bailed out of the deepest 2nd round for cash and we are looking at Sharife Cooper like... Hmmm
    We keep players till they lose all their value or stink up the basketball court

Most importantly... The right moves we made this off season is us cleaning up our mess that never should of been there in the 1st place.

So no. It's about damn time. We made the right moves.
    Brandon Ingram alone would be a very good haul for the corner that AD had us backed in through an excessive amount of tampering.

Developmental players? Can you explain that position? Did you want to draft finished products? The only player outside of the top 3 that has done much of anything so far is Cam Johnson, and he's 25 years old. Griff has had a number of mistakes in his tenure. The Lakers trade and 2019 draft, however, is not the hill to die on in my opinion.

This summer was bad from an optics perspective because we basically gave up 2 firsts, albeit late ones. However, if we can get Buddy for Hart and Sato, I'd still give it an A. Right now its a C+ for me. The roster construction is an A but the assets it took to get there make the offseason as a whole a C+

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Brandon Ingram alone would be a very good haul for the corner that AD had us backed in through an excessive amount of tampering.

Developmental players? Can you explain that position? Did you want to draft finished products? The only player outside of the top 3 that has done much of anything so far is Cam Johnson, and he's 25 years old. Griff has had a number of mistakes in his tenure. The Lakers trade and 2019 draft, however, is not the hill to die on in my opinion.

This summer was bad from an optics perspective because we basically gave up 2 firsts, albeit late ones. However, if we can get Buddy for Hart and Sato, I'd still give it an A. Right now its a C+ for me. The roster construction is an A but the assets it took to get there make the offseason as a whole a C+

NAW/Hayes over Garland and Hunter whom where immediate impact players over projects is what I mean. If we had Garland... We wouldn't need to do the Graham trade.

So, Hayes and NAW have been projects. Probably a little slower and rocky development than we would of liked. They both took a small leap last year, but nothing that outweighs the 4th overall in my opinion.

Lastly... It's not Kira fault for being a project. It was already slim pickings at that point of the draft and we got a high ceiling guy that's gonna take more time than we would like..

All in all it is a lot of tiny little mistakes that builds a mountain of a failure till this year..

We get Buddy. That's an A+ offseason to me. The bench looks really nice. We aren't forced to gamble on NAW and his volume shooting at SG. Murphy got loads of potential. Murphy makes the need for a backup scoring big unnecessary for me in the roster construction.

I had the off season peg so far as a C+ in the other thread. As long we can push forward like now instead of going backwards like we did the past two season. I'll gladly eat my words.

My concern is the PG position, but they tried to massively overpay to fix that.

Of all the things to be upset about, the draft was never one of them.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    You've seen Sharife Cooper play 2 Summer League games. I'd bet you didn't watch a single Auburn game last season. Can we just stop with the Cooper narrative? There was a reason he went 48th overall.
    And Sharife had 17 turnovers in those first three games to Kira's 5. Which in a SL environment, says a lot about Kira's maturity.

And Kira had been out shooting him until last night.

But to see that posted here is rather... unshocking.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    And Sharife had 17 turnovers in those first three games to Kira's 5. Which in a SL environment, says a lot about Kira's maturity.

And Kira had been out shooting him until last night.

But to see that posted here is rather... unshocking.
    That's weird. I haven't seen any of the board's Sharife Stans mention 17 turnovers in only three games in freaking summer league. That's truly awful.

Rule to grow on going forward....

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER gamble on an 18 year old after the fifth pick in the lottery. (See Payton Pritchard at 26 vs you know who at 13 in 2020 Draft)

As MM has pointed out to us all, most young draft picks coming into the league do no show an NBA game until a second contract and it's usually for another team...if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    That's weird. I haven't seen any of the board's Sharife Stans mention 17 turnovers in only three games in freaking summer league. That's truly awful.
    People almost never point out turnovers. It's actually one of the most impressive things for Murphy for me right now. 3 turnovers in 4 games. Also only 3 total fouls.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Rule to grow on going forward....

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER gamble on an 18 year old after the fifth pick in the lottery. (See Payton Pritchard at 26 vs you know who at 13 in 2020 Draft)

As MM has pointed out to us all, most young draft picks coming into the league do no show an NBA game until a second contract and it's usually for another team...if at all.
    Signed, Giannis, MVP of the league and NBA champion. You hit zero home runs on the swings you don?t take.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Signed, Giannis, MVP of the league and NBA champion. You hit zero home runs on the swings you don?t take.
    LOL!!! For every one their are 50. 2% are very long odds,
    Last edited by As I See It; 08-16-2021 at 12:17 PM.

NAW/Hayes over Garland and Hunter whom where immediate impact players over projects is what I mean. If we had Garland... We wouldn't need to do the Graham trade.

So, Hayes and NAW have been projects. Probably a little slower and rocky development than we would of liked. They both took a small leap last year, but nothing that outweighs the 4th overall in my opinion.

Lastly... It's not Kira fault for being a project. It was already slim pickings at that point of the draft and we got a high ceiling guy that's gonna take more time than we would like..

All in all it is a lot of tiny little mistakes that builds a mountain of a failure till this year..

We get Buddy. That's an A+ offseason to me. The bench looks really nice. We aren't forced to gamble on NAW and his volume shooting at SG. Murphy got loads of potential. Murphy makes the need for a backup scoring big unnecessary for me in the roster construction.

I had the off season peg so far as a C+ in the other thread. As long we can push forward like now instead of going backwards like we did the past two season. I'll gladly eat my words.

My concern is the PG position, but they tried to massively overpay to fix that.
    Garland has been as much of a project as anyone in the draft. He made strides last year on a bad team. I think his growth is real, but he's always going to be one of the worst defenders in the NBA, and he still struggles mightily with turnovers. Deandre Hunter played 23 total games last season and was bad the year before. He's now going to be 24 when the season starts and he basically has nothing to show for it.

Again, I think I do the Hawks trade 10/10 times even with hindsight.

Zion is the point guard of the future. Obviously they tried to bridge the gap with CP3 and Lowry, but I think the sooner we accept that Zion is the PG, the higher our ceiling is long term.

Turnovers aren't necessarily bad if you're being aggressive to score and put your team in position to win.

But the Hawks SL team was 1 - 2 in those game Sharife played. And needed him making a last second corner 3 to win that one game they did.

So in that case...17 turnovers bad. Which is to be expected in a SL environment.

The story is Kira only having 5 after three games. Or 8 after 4 games. In that environment. For a team that has yet to lose.

The point to grabbing someone super young like Cooper isn't a win now kind of move. It's when the roster gets expensive when you got to pay Zion, Jonas, NAW. HAYES, and etc So, you taking gambles on quality depth guys to fill those roles in 3-4 years.

I get why you wouldn't want to care about 5 years from now. It's a smart move. Herb Jones probably gonna be one of those guys in a couple of years.

Any other year... I Be like pass on 2nd round picks, cause the 2nd rounds are pretty dry. This wasn't the case. We got a gleague team. Fill it up. You want to find the next Vanvleet... You gotta bring in prospects.

The point to grabbing someone super young like Cooper isn't a win now kind of move. It's when the roster gets expensive when you got to pay Zion, Jonas, NAW. HAYES, and etc So, you taking gambles on quality depth guys to fill those roles in 3-4 years.

I get why you wouldn't want to care about 5 years from now. It's a smart move. Herb Jones probably gonna be one of those guys in a couple of years.

Any other year... I Be like pass on 2nd round picks, cause the 2nd rounds are pretty dry. This wasn't the case. We got a gleague team. Fill it up. You want to find the next Vanvleet... You gotta bring in prospects.
    Again, I don't know the exact reason, but there is a reason that Cooper fell to 48. May have been medicals, may have been off the court, but guys with that talent don't just fall for no reason.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    LOL!!! For every one their are 50. 2% are very long odds,
    Zero percent of the teams that didn’t draft an 18 year old won the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Zero percent of the teams that didn’t draft an 18 year old won the championship.
    Drafting them means nothing. Contributing to the team doing the drafting is the key.

Remind me these NBA Champions were drafted by whom...

Who was an one and done Kevin Garnett drafted by?

Who was a one and done Anthony Davis drafted by?

Who was a none and done Lebron James drafted by?

Who was a one and done Kevin Love drafted by?

Who was a none and done JR Smith drafted by?

Who was a none and done Dwight Howard drafted by?

Who was a one and done Javelle McGee drafted by?

Who was a one and done Kevin Durant drafted by?

Who was a none and done Shaun Livingston drafted by?

Who was a none and done Tyson Candler drafted by?

Look if you want to be someone's Farm Team, have at it!!
    Last edited by As I See It; 08-16-2021 at 01:46 PM.

Thread Information